PDA

View Full Version : Where do you see the future of Martellus Bennett going

hungrrrry
10-21-2012, 08:36 PM
I like the possibility of him signing with us long-term...I don't want him over Cruz nor Nicks however. I think he has more upside here than he did in Dallas and I also think he likes it here, since he is the #1 TE and can show off his wares....but will he sign with the Giants long-term?...will we sign him?

Granted the answer will lie with how he performs between now and the end of the season.

I get the feeling Reese will try to get it done before mid-December

Thoughts?

RoanokeFan
10-21-2012, 08:37 PM
Right hereI hope

bebil10
10-21-2012, 08:38 PM
I hope we can get him on the cheap, if he is too much they have to let him walk, eli seems to be able to make any good blocking tight end into a dependable target, so long as they don't butter their fingers of course, so I wouldn't over spend on the position.

TextureDj
10-21-2012, 08:47 PM
I hope we can get him on the cheap, if he is too much they have to let him walk, eli seems to be able to make any good blocking tight end into a dependable target, so long as they don't butter their fingers of course, so I wouldn't over spend on the position.

I think you are right as far as not overspending, we just cant afford it but Eli can make a dependable target out of a blocker, ala Pascoe, Boss.. But never has he been able to do the things with those guys he has with Bennett, hell he wasn't hitting Shockey for the kind of gains as Martellus.

Plus that beard is Deadly, him and Joseph. As well as the best QB, HC nad possible WR corps, we have the two best beards in the whole damn league.

SLUNK(three)AM
10-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I like Bennett. I think given more time in the system he could develop into something better than Boss or Ballard could have ever been. He's a good blocker too.

BigBlue1971
10-21-2012, 08:50 PM
i think Bennett will be signed to a long term contract! hes a great t-end!

Eliscruzzz
10-21-2012, 08:54 PM
I love Bennett but I really think we are going to have a hard time signing him with his play this year a lot of teams are going to bait him with a big contract.

RoanokeFan
10-21-2012, 08:56 PM
I love Bennett but I really think we are going to have a hard time signing him with his play this year a lot of teams are going to bait him with a big contract.

We really can't make any educated guesses since we have no idea who Reese is or may be willing to let go.

NYG4lifeNYK
10-21-2012, 08:57 PM
HAVE to lock him up... Nicks injuries are helping us with his contract... his price will come down a little but he will still get PAID

Need to lock up Nicks & Cruz ASAP

Eliscruzzz
10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
We really can't make any educated guesses since we have no idea who Reese is or may be willing to let go.very true.

giantsfan420
10-21-2012, 08:58 PM
you gotta resign him. i could see us franchising him maybe.
i get thatr eli can make players outta anyone. but bennett is a TREMENDOUS blocker. and he is virtually a wr in the passing game. i've been this guys biggest supporter before day 1, id hate if we let him walk...him, nicks n cruz should be the 3 MUST re-signs bc thats a trio that can beat up on every defense

hungrrrry
10-21-2012, 09:04 PM
We really can't make any educated guesses since we have no idea who Reese is or may be willing to let go.He'll be letting Osi go I bet...rather...he won't bother to re-sign him...I think the writing is on the wall for Da'rell Scott as well as Jerrell Jernigan, David Diehl (even though I have appreciated his presence on the team since his rookie season) and don't look now but Corey Webster could be playing his last season....shhhhhh....i didnt say that

NorwoodBlue
10-21-2012, 09:51 PM
He's going where the money is, we just borrowed him from somebody else for the year.

CowboysSuck
10-21-2012, 09:52 PM
I envision his number being retired and him making a trip to Canton

CowboysSuck
10-21-2012, 09:53 PM
I think we have to sign him. Who else do we have? Pascoe? (LOL) Beckum (even more LOL). Unless we know Adrien Robinson is something special we need to resign him.

BParcells777
10-21-2012, 09:54 PM
he is just an average player.........Id rather have Ballard back any day....even Pascoe is better than The Black Unicorn

CowboysSuck
10-21-2012, 09:56 PM
he is just an average player.........Id rather have Ballard back any day....even Pascoe is better than The Black Unicorn

Lol your funny, keep 'em comin!

BParcells777
10-21-2012, 09:58 PM
Lol your funny, keep 'em comin! You think he is better than Ballard?? you have a short memory

We can do better.........much better

drewz
10-21-2012, 09:59 PM
We can still franchise him for next year if we can't work out a long term deal.

appodictic
10-21-2012, 10:00 PM
I like Bennett. I think given more time in the system he could develop into something better than Boss or Ballard could have ever been. He's a good blocker too. He has already outplayed both of them. Might have a 1000 yard season.

BParcells777
10-21-2012, 10:01 PM
he drops hands passes, and has a knee.......give me a break here

NorwoodBlue
10-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Ballard was a great guy, great hands, and a lot of heart. That said, he isn't the plaayer Bennett is. Hope we can keep Bennett, he'll get better and better the more he plays with Eli.

BParcells777
10-21-2012, 10:05 PM
Ballard was a great guy, great hands, and a lot of heart. That said, he isn't the plaayer Bennett is. Hope we can keep Bennett, he'll get better and better the more he plays with Eli.

Ballard won games and was money.....I cannot recall any drops at all......he also was a monster on YAC.........what has this guy done but hyperextend a knee, and made a few belly catches?

DaKraken
10-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Very hard to read these things, but something tells me Bennett likes NY and the situation he's in, and will take less $$ to stay here. But they'll offer him something very fair.

SackingMyths
10-21-2012, 10:39 PM
TEs that can catch have proven to be replaceable with Eli at the helm...

...TEs that can catch AND block have not. I'd like to see us make a "responsible offer" to extend the guy

sc_markt
10-21-2012, 10:46 PM
Where do you see the future of Martellus Bennett going

Hopefully, many times in the end zone...

Toadofsteel
10-21-2012, 11:16 PM
I expect him to get a long-term offer at the very least. A guy that can block like him is crucial to our offense. Just because he doesn't make fantasy owners swoon doesn't mean he's not doing anything...

giantsfan420
10-21-2012, 11:34 PM
Ballard won games and was money.....I cannot recall any drops at all......he also was a monster on YAC.........what has this guy done but hyperextend a knee, and made a few belly catches?
lol r u serious? first nyg in team history to score a td the first 3 games on the team. he's made 4 catches minimum every game iirc and aside from 2 games, has given us 5-7 catches for 60-90 yds a game...wow my goodness man. DID U SEE THAT CATCH HE MADE EARLY? that was an AMAZING catch.

he's been dominant in run/pass blocking as well...no offense bparcells but u might wanna reasses ur stance on bennett bc u sound way off base. i mean are u honestly holding it against him THAT HE PLAYED WITH A HYPEREXTENDED KNEE and missed NO time lmfao LIKE REALLY? u think that might have something to do with the slight drop in production those two weeks? how he tweaked his knee but kept on playing?

u are the 1rst person i've seen not applaud MB since he played. if u said this stuff preseason, maybe it ur opinion wouldnt sound so ignorant

edit-and ballard was a great giant. key word, WAS. and he had drops cmon man lol

JJC7301
10-22-2012, 12:28 AM
Yeah, they're not going to put up tons of cash for a TE since we have Cruz and JPP, and hopefully Nicks, to pay.

I like Bennett and he's been great so far, but it just means that he'll be too good to pay and keep considering the teams other obligations. That's okay -- as long as he helped the team and he certainly has.

Antwuan
10-22-2012, 12:45 AM
I like Marty B hopefully he will stay but we will see what happens.

GiantRoc
10-22-2012, 01:01 AM
I'd love to see him stay. I only see him getting better. The upside is he seems to love New York. Money can come to him outside of the team. That's a big bonus. He has made some damn good catches out there. With more to come. I think you are crazy not to like this guy.

GFiP
10-22-2012, 04:07 AM
I thought it was silly to only sign him for one year in the first place.

Captain Chaos
10-22-2012, 04:18 AM
There are number of players that will have to look at this year, Bennett is a solid TE, the question what is he going to bring in FA. I think Reese will make him an offer but it may not be enough to keep him. It will be a challenging off season!

GMan-67
10-22-2012, 04:54 AM
by future you must mean next week and i think he will play very well vs. his old team

but i will humor you a bit ... Bennett was completely wasted in Dallas and now he is being utilized, so hopefully his agent is wise enough to realize that he's found a home and not go out scratching for for every last penny from whatever team that tries to outbid us

nygfanmaybe
10-22-2012, 06:33 AM
I hope he reads these boards because I have a message for him.

MB is one of those guys who holds all the cards in his hand. The talent he needs to be a star in this league is there. He is on the right team. All he needs to do is to continue to work hard, improve, understand, and keep the attitude positive. I believe the guy he needs to impress is Eli, and I think he is doing a great job of that so far. Coming back on the field after a minor injury was huge.

GMENAGAIN
10-22-2012, 06:42 AM
by future you must mean next week and i think he will play very well vs. his old team

but i will humor you a bit ... Bennett was completely wasted in Dallas and now he is being utilized, so hopefully his agent is wise enough to realize that he's found a home and not go out scratching for for every last penny from whatever team that tries to outbid us

Good luck with that. He'll go where the money is, like they all do (and should).

CDN_G-FAN
10-22-2012, 07:18 AM
i really don't see us being able to afford him.

I can't see Nicks or Cruz getting a lot less than $10 million each a season, that was set as the elite WR rate in the last couple offseasons, and fans on here are constantly arguing about how good both those receivers are.

i'm really worried about keeping both. really worried.

Buddy333
10-22-2012, 07:56 AM
If he keeps playing well he will earn himself a spot a team that can offer him a lot of money and that won't be the Giants.

Redeyejedi
10-22-2012, 08:05 AM
Giants would be foolish to let him go and he would be foolish to leave. If all he wants is cash then he is gone but if he want the opportunity to win and be 1 of the better TE's in the NFL he stays. He could go to a bad team with a QB like Gabbert and be worthless or he can stay here and put up 800 yard seasons. I think the Giants should give him a competitive offer he is the most physically talented TE the Giants have had in a long time

Buddy333
10-22-2012, 08:09 AM
How many younger players think about anything else than money though?

Mercury
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
It was brilliant to sign him to a one year contract. That is real motivation for MB to perform on the field.
We got a solid contributor for this year. Next year? Who knows? MB is not going to be franchised. He is not a must re-sign. Nicks and Cruz must be resigned.

I expect Reese to make a responsible money-wise offer to MB before too long. MB will have to decide what he wants more, money or Eli throwing him the ball. He should find out how guys like SSmith, Ross, Boss, Jacobs etc. feel now that they left for supposedly greener pastures. Some guys are all about the money, others see the bigger picture. Money is a big factor, but it isn't everything.

Buddy333
10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
He is still very young and will wanto get paid. He may no leave for a few dollars, but at the rate he's going he will earn himself a big contract. Probably a lit bugger than the Giants can offer him.

flimflam
10-22-2012, 09:03 AM
I like Martellus, and think he is a great fit on this team. To be sure, he is a physical marvel just like Shockey. Marty is 6'6" while Shockey's 6'5". He definitely has separation speed even in that huge *** frame. He definitely causes matchup problems and frees up things for Cruz and Hicks. With that being said, his personality fits this team too. We lost our loud and boisterous talker in Brandon Jacobs, who pumped this team up not only with his running, but his attitude. You cannot put a value on those intangibles. I think Marty has filled in for BJ's role as team motivator.