PDA

View Full Version : "Listen to me son...." We are in the middle of a "hallowed era"

BigBlueOnes
10-22-2012, 08:30 AM
Let's forget the bemoaning Gilbride and coaching and lack of a running game. We are 5-2 and we're having a fine run the past number of years. The years before Parcells are before my time and I don't have a lot of memories. But to my way of thinking this is what I see:

1. A great Giants dynasty going back to early NFL championships before my time- a storied history of our team and the Mara's.

2. The hallowed years of Parcells which almost everyone one of us recalls with pride.

3. We are in the next "hallowed time" of Big Blue. I told my son, Angelo, "This is a great Giants team and we're having a good run with a future HOF quarterback, someday you'll grow up and talk about it, because sure as the sun rising, someday this team will have a downturn and a fair QB and you can look back and say "Wow, when I was a kid, the Giants were great under Eli Manning." "

So I'd suggest enjoying this team now because we just might be living in the middle of one of those rare "hallowed" eras under TC.

GameTime
10-22-2012, 08:32 AM
nice post....

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 08:33 AM
Absolutely.

Gimaniac
10-22-2012, 08:36 AM
All good things must come to an end. In the meantime, what a ride.

When the Redskins scored to take the lead with a minute and a half to go, it was just a matter of how.

BigBlueOnes
10-22-2012, 08:55 AM
Thank you folks. The reason this came up was because yesterday my son said "Dad the Giants suck!!" I do believe we are a great team and a great organization as much as we can find things to nitpick about. My love for this team is great the past few years and I don't think we could ask for much more. When you're feeling down, imagine being an Eagles or Cowboys fan. That oughta perk you up right quick. : )

Imgrate
10-22-2012, 08:59 AM
I might be in the minority, but I am fully confident that Jerry Reese will still have a good team on the field when Eli is gone

harrycarson
10-22-2012, 09:03 AM
Yep you are correct....we need to enjoy these times...I know I am....yeeeeehaaaaaw low ve this team!

nhpgiantsfan
10-22-2012, 09:22 AM
I might be in the minority, but I am fully confident that Jerry Reese will still have a good team on the field when Eli is gone

Guys like Eli don't come along very often. In fact, the best thing that ever happened to the Colts may have been Peyton missing the whole season last year affording them the 1st over all pick, in a year that most experts say had the best QB to come out of the draft in 30 years.

If Peyton doesn't get hurt and plays there through his retirement, even in his last year they probably win 8 games or so, not getting them anywhere close in the draft to get them one of these "stud" QB's that go at the top of the draft. Thus setting the Colts on the hunt to find the next guy the hard way.

So as good as Jerry is, you also have to end up in the right spot in the draft at the right year. And of coarse the scouts have to be right and the drafted player has to pan out. It could take decades before a team finds it's next true stud franchise QB. It tooks us 10 years to go from Simms to Eli. Fortunately, Kerry Collins fell in our lap and sobered up and resurected his career or that decade would have been much worse.

GMan-67
10-22-2012, 10:17 AM
here here

it's good that some actually get it

i woulda signed for 5-2 thru 7

and if we beat Dallas then we are 100% on schedule

manning to shockey
10-22-2012, 10:29 AM
Son, I am disappoint

Mercury
10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Sorta like Tom Brady?

btbrennan
10-22-2012, 11:12 AM
I can't wait to tell my kids one day about this team. Bragging about the days of Eli, Osi, Tuck, Cruz, Nicks, Bradshaw, JPP, etc, etc.

I just can't believe the era we're in. Growing up in the woeful 90s, I thought the days of Collins, Tiki, and Strahan were great. I had no idea this was coming...

BigBlueOnes
10-22-2012, 11:50 AM
I can't wait to tell my kids one day about this team. Bragging about the days of Eli, Osi, Tuck, Cruz, Nicks, Bradshaw, JPP, etc, etc.

I just can't believe the era we're in. Growing up in the woeful 90s, I thought the days of Collins, Tiki, and Strahan were great. I had no idea this was coming...

I would add in there BJ, Snee and Feagles. Anyone else? BJ was a force when healthy and embodied a lot of the fight this team has.

FlyingTruck
10-22-2012, 11:51 AM
I don't even remember the Parcells era! I'm 21 and didn't start watching football until I was about 14 (Eli's sophomore season). So I've only known success for our team. I'm definitely enjoying all of this.

SweetZombieJesus
10-22-2012, 12:19 PM
Thank you folks. The reason this came up was because yesterday my son said "Dad the Giants suck!!"

You need to find out who is corrupting your son and telling him the Giants suck -- and teach him to think, you can surely rattle off a hundred reasons why they do not suck.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Ill tell you why your son thinks they suck.....he is young and all he has seen is Giant success....they are spoiled.....the minute they are behind...they suck...he doesn't understand that it won't always be like this

I have seen seasons (early 70s)when we were encouraged because they played a good game....moral victories were what we hung our hats on

the 80's came and were got competitive...we won a couple Superbowls...we were pretty content

the 90s came and so did Dave brown and others and all the fans that hated Simms were now missing him...

I am warning the young fans....enjoy it....when it's gone ..you will miss it

BigBlueOnes
10-22-2012, 12:51 PM
You need to find out who is corrupting your son and telling him the Giants suck -- and teach him to think, you can surely rattle off a hundred reasons why they do not suck.

I can tell you who. Guess?? I bet you can!!! Yes, the bandwagon Patriot fans he goes to school with. All the other 11 and 12 year olds who were just watching football with their dads and Brady was winning and they became part of the cult. And also the ever growing Green Bay hoard, who don't bother me nearly as much. We live in Upstate NY and have more Giants fans than any other, but I bet there are more Patriot fans than Jets fans (that's good) or even Buffalo fans and we're close to Buffalo.

RichardMc
10-22-2012, 02:48 PM
I have been a Giants devotee since the late 60's. In that time we've had Phil Simms and Eli Manning. Fran Tarkenton was elected to the HOF but his years in New York were not his best. Great quarterbacks are few and far between. I am savoring this time.

SweetZombieJesus
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
I can tell you who. Guess?? I bet you can!!! Yes, the bandwagon Patriot fans he goes to school with.

Quite easy, then... That's a disgruntled Boston "they suck" rather than anything based on facts... Beat them twice in the SB and beat them at home last season ending a bunch of streaks, he shouldn't have to say anything... Proof's in the pudding.

TheAnalyst
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Agreed. Eli will go down as the greatest QB in Giants history, if he isn't already. Imagine if Plax didn't shoot an 11-1 dominating defending champ team in the leg... That year they beat the 2 superbowl teams in their own houses. They had a great shot at going back to back. And that was after we lost one of the greatest DEs to ever play in Strahan, and the Giants best WR they ever had in Toomer.

EnragedYouth85
10-22-2012, 03:02 PM
Well spoken! Only if my son was old enough to enjoy this!