PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else seeing Eli's accuracy problem?

Razur
10-22-2012, 10:18 AM
Saw it during 49' ers game...sialing passes..( damn near got cruz killed )..and quite a bit yesterday in the Skins game...Clutch QB, no doubt...and he has given us many great games..but..lately...and please dont jump on "hey hater" I'm not...just see what I see.. and to me..I gotta think its showing on the film when Gilbride is viewing..so...until it gets coreected, which of course it can be...get more running plays in there..and if that means getting O-Line focused more on Run..then so be it..We couldn't open any decent holes for any back yesterday.

Seems like we can't get all psistons firing at once, and we will need this design going into the later half of the season..

Glad we won..but..man..we barely got out of that one...

Rudyy
10-22-2012, 10:22 AM
hey hater..

Kidding, but I agree. He was throwing crazy at times yesterday. I don't think he and the receivers are on the same page. I know on his first INT yesterday Martellus stopped running his route and the DB got the pick. I'm not sure if Eli was anticipating him going up to get it, but it's a communication thing. I'm positive that they will get their timing fixed.

GmenFan1980
10-22-2012, 10:23 AM
63.8 completion percentage.

that is very good. In fact as of right now, it's better then any of his previous seasons

Your not gonna make every throw.

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 10:23 AM
Mechanics ... he'll get it under control.

One of the (many) great things about Eli ... it doesn't stop him from being clutch.

Razur
10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Agreed! Has to be something in routes too...ok...like I said i know he's one of the best...his working with his receivers in the class..is legend..so I'm hoping this is gonna get fixed fast...thanks!!!

Morehead State
10-22-2012, 10:25 AM
Saw it during 49' ers game...sialing passes..( damn near got cruz killed )..and quite a bit yesterday in the Skins game...Clutch QB, no doubt...and he has given us many great games..but..lately...and please dont jump on "hey hater" I'm not...just see what I see.. and to me..I gotta think its showing on the film when Gilbride is viewing..so...until it gets coreected, which of course it can be...get more running plays in there..and if that means getting O-Line focused more on Run..then so be it..We couldn't open any decent holes for any back yesterday.

Seems like we can't get all psistons firing at once, and we will need this design going into the later half of the season..

In general ...No.
Yesterday....Yes.

Had a tough day yesterday and no one on earth could know what he was thinking on that last pick.

FrankAE
10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
The 77yard td didn't look at all like they were on they same page, Eli can have bad throws, what matters is his mental errors. Either way, I'm confident when he's in the game Giants will win.

GMan-67
10-22-2012, 10:30 AM
i dont think the ball was feeling right in his hand yesterday ... 1st chilly day ... ball gets harder and slicker ... little bit of wind, but nothing to worry about going forward ... he's obviously played many games in far colder weather ... ie GB in '07 and he was great

and you'll probably laugh at this one, but when he threw the really, really bad INT right to that LB ... well you had a mix of sunlight and shade on the field ... big 'ole LB got lost in the shadows

i got your back Eli ! ... just keep the magic coming

GMENAGAIN
10-22-2012, 10:31 AM
Eli did not have his best game yesterday, but I don't see a continuing "accuracy problem" as you put it . . . . .

miked1958
10-22-2012, 10:31 AM

One of the (many) great things about Eli ... it doesn't stop him from being clutch.yes i have noticed it this year. he needs to work on it and get it under control. i mean most of these were without pressure

Toadofsteel
10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
The fact that he has the completion rate that he does in the most complex offense in the entire NFL is staggering to be honest...

Morehead State
10-22-2012, 10:38 AM
i dont think the ball was feeling right in his hand yesterday ... 1st chilly day ... ball gets harder and slicker ... little bit of wind, but nothing to worry about going forward ... he's obviously played many games in far colder weather ... ie GB in '07 and he was great

and you'll probably laugh at this one, but when he threw the really, really bad INT right to that LB ... well you had a mix of sunlight and shade on the field ... big 'ole LB got lost in the shadows

i got your back Eli ! ... just keep the magic coming

The question isn't whether or not he could see the defender. The question is how could he see the receiver with the defender standing right in front of him.
Lets not get crazy here. The defender was 25 feet or so away.

GameTime
10-22-2012, 10:43 AM
2 games I wouldnt consider it a problem. A little off for sure....

Morehead State
10-22-2012, 10:45 AM
2 games I wouldnt consider it a problem. A little off for sure....
After a hot start (well starting with the TB game) Eli seems to be in a tiny slump. He wasn't especially good last week. (threw what would have been a horrific pick at the goalline that the defender dropped) and yesterday was way off all day.
Of course he did make the great throw to win the game. We won both games so its no big deal. Lets hope he comes out hot in Dallas.

JB456
10-22-2012, 10:45 AM
In general ...No.
Yesterday....Yes.

Had a tough day yesterday and no one on earth could know what he was thinking on that last pick.

I agree. Yesterday he was pretty bad but that last int was a brain fart and not an accuracy thing.

Now, when the coaching staff dials up 75% passes while they know Eli was having a rough day, that makes me rage a little bit.

Morehead State
10-22-2012, 10:47 AM
I agree. Yesterday he was pretty bad but that last int was a brain fart and not an accuracy thing.

Now, when the coaching staff dials up 75% passes while they know Eli was having a rough day, that makes me rage a little bit.
Well I certainly agree that the last pick was not an accuracy thing. But he was off all game. It happens.

GameTime
10-22-2012, 10:49 AM
After a hot start (well starting with the TB game) Eli seems to be in a tiny slump. He wasn't especially good last week. (threw what would have been a horrific pick at the goalline that the defender dropped) and yesterday was way off all day.
Of course he did make the great throw to win the game. We won both games so its no big deal. Lets hope he comes out hot in Dallas.

Something to watch for......but a little slump is expected. Back to work in Dallas next week.

GMan-67
10-22-2012, 10:49 AM
The question isn't whether or not he could see the defender. The question is how could he see the receiver with the defender standing right in front of him.

ha, well you know, im not sure he saw Cruz either, ,but he knew where he was heading

Morehead State
10-22-2012, 10:51 AM
ha, well you know, im not sure he saw Cruz either, ,but he knew where he was heading
There is no explanation other than that it was simply a horrible decision.

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 10:51 AM

Kind of standard Gilbride (2008 playoffs anyone?) .... but then again, Eli has turned into one of those players, that no matter what he's done, you want the ball in his hands at all times.

I think the fact that we couldn't run the ball for beans yesterday had a lot to do with it too though.

GameTime
10-22-2012, 10:54 AM
yep they scored too quickly......Eli needs to slow the offense down a bit....:cool:

BeatYale
10-22-2012, 10:57 AM
Shotgun:
17-23. 221 yards. 1-0.

Under Center:
9 for 17 . 116 yards. 0-2

Ruttiger711
10-22-2012, 11:05 AM
Every once in a while Eli gets this LB blindness - very strange.

stormin normand
10-22-2012, 11:07 AM
Eli is going to do this to us a feww games a season... Love him best QB we've had in my nearly 50 years of watchin the G-Men. But once in a while he pulls a boner or 2. (3 Pick 6 vs. Vikes... ouch) but he is still the best.... captain cool, captain come back with under 2 minutes to play needing a td to win who else would you rather have. Game on the line? Got Eli? no sweat :)

nygfanmaybe
10-22-2012, 11:11 AM
I think it is Abby getting too frisky on game day. I shudder to think about what this board would have been like today if it weren't for the Skins having a brain fart late in the game...but I have a theory as to how that might have happened. Since we only needed 3 to tie and send it to OT, the safeties might have been a little closer in than if they would have been up by 4 or more.

CowboysSuck
10-22-2012, 11:17 AM
This is a non issue. Why even bring it up?

Roosevelt
10-22-2012, 11:21 AM
In general ...No.
Yesterday....Yes.

Agreed. He had a tough day yesterday.

He didn't see the LB on that pick.

Eli TO Shockey
10-22-2012, 11:23 AM
Eli had a bad game . Happens to the best of them. Saying that just sounds strange considering the outcome . Us giants fans are extremely spoiled . Anyone see Sanchez yesterday?

EliDaMANning
10-22-2012, 11:23 AM
He was getting bored out there with a lead so he wanted to spice things up. Clearly he wasn't having any fun out there up until his last throw. Or he just wants to play with our heads.

Roosevelt
10-22-2012, 11:24 AM

The LB was near the line when Eli decided to make that throw and then he bounced out. Eli said he never saw him.

joemorrisforprez
10-22-2012, 11:27 AM

One of the (many) great things about Eli ... it doesn't stop him from being clutch.

Agreed.....his last pass (77yarder to Cruz) was right on the money.

FlyingTruck
10-22-2012, 11:27 AM
Have you not watched Eli before? He's up and down all season with his accuracy. I think overall he's done great this season though.

Eli TO Shockey
10-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Have you not watched Eli before? He's up and down all season with his accuracy. I think overall he's done great this season though.

Eli's bad throws nowadays are few and far in between. The qb you are referring to is Eli of 5 years ago.

GMenOnDeck
10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Browns game he was pretty accurate =/

Razur
10-22-2012, 11:36 AM

It was just an observation, and to be more specific, and observation of late performances..I would say prior to 49 ers gane..he was laser...so that's why it stood out to me..and was just inetetested in knowing if it was apparent to anyome else. You can almost see it his face when they zoom on close up after a bad throw or dropped pass...he had that look like he was " befuddled"...anyways..you're right about him having a great season...and like so many have stated. correctable mechanics...and we all know he probably is his biggest critic anyways...he'll be fine.

chasjay
10-22-2012, 11:39 AM
I was po'd with Eli for missing the sure TD to Cruz in the first half and letting the LB make him look like a rookie on the second pick. Also for the end zone pick against Philly that likely cost us the game. Being the homer that I am (both for the Giants and Eli), I probably expect too much sometimes. All that said, when I watched the replay of Eli standing in and taking the hit on the game-winner to Cruz, I can say with some certainty that our QB is not "skittish". And to the original point, I'm not seeing an overall accuracy problem with Eli any more than I see a problem with the receivers for a drop or two per game - those things just happen in football every once in a while.

FlyingTruck
10-22-2012, 11:41 AM
Eli's bad throws nowadays are few and far in between. The qb you are referring to is Eli of 5 years ago.Hmm..you must not remember that season when we drafted Nicks I believe. And Eli was overthrowing receivers all season long and all those passes were getting tipped. And guys I'm not an Eli hater. I love our QB. :) His deep ball accuracy has always been great though.

BlueReign
10-22-2012, 11:42 AM
He'll get it fixed. No worries.

Eli TO Shockey
10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Hmm..you must not remember that season when we drafted Nicks I believe. And Eli was overthrowing receivers all season long and all those passes were getting tipped. And guys I'm not an Eli hater. I love our QB. :) His deep ball accuracy has always been great though.

Spoiled giants fans. When eli is "cold" and having a poor game , he's still better than 80% of the QBs in the nfl.

RoanokeFan
10-22-2012, 11:51 AM

+1

Drez
10-22-2012, 12:00 PM
In general ...No.
Yesterday....Yes.

I think he just turned and threw without really looking. At least that what it seemed like when they showed him on the sideline looking at the photo of the pick.

He was definitely off yesterday, but I don't think it's something that's necessarily problematic. Sometimes, guys have a bad day at the office.

The one thing that did irk me a little about the commentating during the game... There was that one throw early on in the game where he missed badly. At first it looked like he was targeting Bennett, and if that was the case it would have been a terrible throw, but when they showed the replay it looked like the WR on that side (I think it was Cruz) had slipped and fell right as Eli was letting go the ball. That's who Eli was going for, and if the receiver didn't slip it would have been a great play. However, Aikman and the other guy (can't remember his name) kept saying it was just a bad pass on Eli's part. I mean, there were plenty of legitimate things to harp on Eli's play about yesterday, but that wasn't one of them.

TrueBlue@NYC
10-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Yeah, Eli was definintly off yesterday, even on some passes he completed they weren't as accurate as you'd like. Hopefully he gets his mojo back in DAL.

That late game INT was simply Eli relying too much on his pre-snap reads. He thought WAS was blitzing, checked out of a play, and had basically made up his mind before the snap of the ball that he was going to cruz there. Sometimes when you make up your mind like that you don't even really see what's going on.

Same thing as the TB game when the nickle back faked the blitz and came back.

Eli needs to take a half tick longer to make sure his read is correct before unloading that ball.

GMenOnDeck
10-22-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah, Eli was definintly off yesterday, even on some passes he completed they weren't as accurate as you'd like. Hopefully he gets his mojo back in DAL.

That late game INT was simply Eli relying too much on his pre-snap reads. He thought WAS was blitzing, checked out of a play, and had basically made up his mind before the snap of the ball that he was going to cruz there. Sometimes when you make up your mind like that you don't even really see what's going on.

Same thing as the TB game when the nickle back faked the blitz and came back.

Eli needs to take a half tick longer to make sure his read is correct before unloading that ball.

*Nicks I agree he had Cruz on a comeback route on the right open for a 9 yard gain if he looked

BillTheGreek
10-22-2012, 07:35 PM
ELI Passing

He definitely had an off day yesterday....Let's face it, he's our Quarter Back, and we back 100 % ........ This is what happened yesterday ! There was so much Hype about RG3, and the Skins where playing good, and starting to out play us, that he got a little over anxious.........so he took more than normal chances..........this is what happens when you are not consecrating..........Luckily he made that Great Pass, to Cruz in the Last minute of the Game , to WIN it !
He's gotten much better than he was in the past ! He will prove it to you, this Sunday in Dallas !

Captain Chaos
10-22-2012, 07:38 PM
Too much pressure up front!

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
10-22-2012, 07:42 PM
Eli's had some throws sail on him (which isn't good when it becomes and INT or get a receiver cracked). However his overall accuracy has improved!! Come on u telling me Eli makes that TD throw to Cruz 3-4 years ago?? He hit him in stride allowing him to run away from the D! Years ago Cruz would have had to stop jump up make a hell of a play. Eli's been hitting guys and allowing them to get YAC.

Has he had some bad throws sure...but what QB doesn't?

.scrimmage.
10-22-2012, 07:45 PM
He was definitely off last game. Pretty sure he'll get it going again though in JerryWorld next week...he never has a problem there.

TextureDj
10-22-2012, 07:47 PM
I think he just turned and threw without really looking. At least that what it seemed like when they showed him on the sideline looking at the photo of the pick.

He was definitely off yesterday, but I don't think it's something that's necessarily problematic. Sometimes, guys have a bad day at the office.

The one thing that did irk me a little about the commentating during the game... There was that one throw early on in the game where he missed badly. At first it looked like he was targeting Bennett, and if that was the case it would have been a terrible throw, but when they showed the replay it looked like the WR on that side (I think it was Cruz) had slipped and fell right as Eli was letting go the ball. That's who Eli was going for, and if the receiver didn't slip it would have been a great play. However, Aikman and the other guy (can't remember his name) kept saying it was just a bad pass on Eli's part. I mean, there were plenty of legitimate things to harp on Eli's play about yesterday, but that wasn't one of them.I
thought the same, but watching it on rewind, it was a bad throw. Vic tried to work to the ball but it was beyond the capabilities of human and cleat alike to get there and he fell.

One other interception looked like a tip during the game, but I couldnt see that either on rewind. Easy E just had a hard day.

It happens

I also think there might be something Shannahan is doing in the secondary to throw off Eli's progressions as the rumor says. I almost hope it is true, because Eli almost has it figured out in that case since this showing was head and shoulders above the two last year.

Delicreep
10-22-2012, 08:25 PM
In general ...No.
Yesterday....Yes.

So I am reading an article on Saturday, the basic thrust being that Haslett has worked up schemes that are designed to confuse Eli.

I of course think this is the stupidest thing I have ever read...I mean, am I suppose to believe that Haslett has a magic game plan that no one else can steal? He's the guy who can set up Eli?

That pick made me think that Eli never even looked...he "knew" that no LB would be there from studying hours of film.
And Haslett drew it up just for Eli.

keyofgmen
10-22-2012, 08:40 PM

The one thing that did irk me a little about the commentating during the game... There was that one throw early on in the game where he missed badly. At first it looked like he was targeting Bennett, and if that was the case it would have been a terrible throw, but when they showed the replay it looked like the WR on that side (I think it was Cruz) had slipped and fell right as Eli was letting go the ball. That's who Eli was going for, and if the receiver didn't slip it would have been a great play. However, Aikman and the other guy (can't remember his name) kept saying it was just a bad pass on Eli's part. I mean, there were plenty of legitimate things to harp on Eli's play about yesterday, but that wasn't one of them.

He simply misread pre-snap. Never thought he would be there, so tossed it where he thought it was safe. A rare misread by Eli these days.

jax5338
10-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Agreed. He had a tough day yesterday.

He didn't see the LB on that pick.

yea afterwards when looking at the Polaroids with gilbride, the LB was pointed out and eli was pissed/disgusted.

GMen Fan
10-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Still want him around in the 4th quarter with 2 minutes to go . . . no one else is better . . . GO BLUE!!!!!!!!!!!!

jomo
10-22-2012, 08:58 PM
He simply misread pre-snap. Never thought he would be there, so tossed it where he thought it was safe. A rare misread by Eli these days.Let's hope the cowboys expect the same type of misreads this week. ;)

bigblue58
10-22-2012, 09:20 PM

Eli was a little off yesterday...it's called being human! Jordan had off nights, Brady's had off days, Brees all of them have at one time or another. Dan Marino had his worst game in the SB of all places, and he's one of the greatest passers of all time. I'm not concerned because the one that needed to be on the money for the game...WAS! And thats what makes Eli...well...Eli. I'm not worried.

bELIeve_in_Giants
10-22-2012, 09:23 PM
His accuracy was off yesterday, but for the most part, he's been pin point this year.