PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Gilbride

rtahsin
10-22-2012, 11:15 AM
Last week KG called a great game against 49ers but this week against the Redskins he regressed ridiculously. KG will have these games where he'll call a great game and we'll all praise him; then bash all the KG haters. Then when he calls a horrible game, which he can have time to time, all the KG haters come back with the "I told you so" phrase. I hate it when he does this.

Sometimes its so predictable when he's gonna have a bad game and what plays he's going to call for. His inconsistency is driving me nuts. The 49ers game he called was great but I felt as if we left quite a few points on the field when we got those turnovers due to bad play calling. Hopefully he'll bounce back and call a great one against the Cowboys to exact revenge. Just my uneducated take. Thoughts?

Roosevelt
10-22-2012, 11:19 AM
Last week KG called a great game against 49ers but this week against the Redskins he regressed ridiculously. KG will have these games where he'll call a great game and we'll all praise him; then bash all the KG haters. Then when he calls a horrible game, which he can have time to time, all the KG haters come back with the "I told you so" phrase. I hate it when he does this.

Sometimes its so predictable when he's gonna have a bad game and what plays he's going to call for. His inconsistency is driving me nuts. The 49ers game he called was great but I felt as if we left quite a few points on the field when we got those turnovers due to bad play calling. Hopefully he'll bounce back and call a great one against the Cowboys to exact revenge. Just my uneducated take. Thoughts?

Eli is calling the game from a set of plays that Gilbride gives him therefor you should not place the sole blame the OC. It's ultimately on Eli, and yesterday was not his best game despite another fantastic finish.

Mercury
10-22-2012, 11:44 AM
Did you ever think he might be setting the other team up? First he's all predictable, and then suddenly he's not? Suddenly, the other team is playing back on their heels because they don't know what to expect and things just aren't going like they thought they would?

If I create a pattern and go, AB, AB, AB, A...C, and I do C when you were expecting B, C scores a TD.

Gibride saves his creativity for the games/moments when it matters most.

It's also a hindsight/execution thing. When he calls a 15 yard pass on 3rd and 1, (creative and unpredictable) it sucks when it doesn't work. Everyone gets on his case, saying it should have been a run (predictable). If on 3rd and 1, he calls a run, and it gets stuffed, it sucks. Everyone complains, "How can he be so ***** predictable."

On the other hand, when the play he calls works, and Cruz is doing his salsa in the endzone, no one complains, "Pfft, he's so predictable. How dare he call for a pass to Cruz on third down."

He may not be well regarded on the messageboards, especially at times, but in the NFL, he is an extremely successful OC and highly respected. If you aren't yet, get on board with it.

Drez
10-22-2012, 11:53 AM
:sigh:

rtahsin
10-22-2012, 11:55 AM
Eli is calling the game from a set of plays that Gilbride gives him therefor you should not place the sole blame the OC. It's ultimately on Eli, and yesterday was not his best game despite another fantastic finish.Did not know know that. I thought Gilbride calls the plays via headset to Eli.

joemorrisforprez
10-22-2012, 11:55 AM

Way to heavy on the pass, considering what the offensive line has been doing lately with the running game.

As Roosevelt mentioned, sometimes Eli is calling out of designed runs.....usually, it works for him.

HOWEVER.....and this goes back to the Philly game......sometimes, especially in the 4th quarter, Coughlin needs to get his hands on the offensive steering wheel.

Example #1: After the RG3 fumble, run the ball, and try to eat up some clock.

Example #2: 3rd and 1.... 3 minutes on the clock.... sorry, man, that's a ****ing running play.

If not for Victor Cruz, we'd all be talking about what a poorly-called game this was.

Parcells used to say "4th down is my call". Similarly, there are times when the play shouldn't be Eli's to make, or Gilbride's for that matter.

RoanokeFan
10-22-2012, 11:57 AM

The truth is we don't have a clue. Eli never gets behind center with "a play" to run. He is tasked with looking at the defense presented and deciding which of several plays to execute.

Here's an example of something we do know, though. I believe it was the 49ers game where Gilbride drew a play up to take advantage of something he saw. He showed the play to Eli, Eli bought into it, and the play was a success.

There is too much that goes into calling plays that we don't understand for us to trash the coaching staff game after game, play after play,

rtahsin
10-22-2012, 11:58 AM
I agree with what you are saying but wouldn't it be safe to say that these buildup schemes take time to happen and sometimes may backfire leaving in you a big hole. Then you might have to abandon that game plan to catchup. Don't get me wrong I don't hate KG but I feel sometimes he's more capable than whate he does sometimes.

JimC
10-22-2012, 12:07 PM
There is too much that goes into calling plays that we don't understand for us to trash the coaching staff game after game, play after play,

Why the heck is this sooooooo hard for us to understand? These guys are PROFESSIONALS. They get paid MILLIONS of dollars to do their jobs. They are WAY too good to overlook something we, as casual observers, see. Geeez.

RoanokeFan
10-22-2012, 12:15 PM
I agree with what you are saying but wouldn't it be safe to say that these buildup schemes take time to happen and sometimes may backfire leaving in you a big hole. Then you might have to abandon that game plan to catchup. Don't get me wrong I don't hate KG but I feel sometimes he's more capable than whate he does sometimes.

Every play is a gamble. Will OUR players execute their roles as drawn up and practiced? Will Eli see a defensive set that he knows is giong to kill the # 1 play? Will the Defense do something unexpected and blow up the play?

What we see is ALL after the fact.

In yesterday's game, Eli sailed one on Nicks along the sideline. Nicks contorted and jumped but it went incomplete. Do you think the play was designed to fail?

In yesterday's game, final seconds, Eli takes a snap and to his amazement sees Cruz streaking down field with the defenders PLAYING OFF HIM. I don't know if that was the called # 1play or not, but Eli went for it, Cruz got under it and we won the game.

My point is that this team does everything it knows how to put the players in the best position to win every game. It doesn't always work, just like every play doesn't always work. The execution of the play, by eleven players, is what wins games.

Ruttiger711
10-22-2012, 12:28 PM
We had a 3rd and 1 at one point and the announcers chime in that the Giants have been in this position 8 times so far this year and its ALL been run plays. The Giants then hit a pass play for a first - easily to with all of Washington playing the run.

JB456
10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Eli is calling the game from a set of plays that Gilbride gives him therefor you should not place the sole blame the OC. It's ultimately on Eli, and yesterday was not his best game despite another fantastic finish.

Like someone said, the plays are getting radioed into Eli. Even though Eli has the authority to audible at the line, do you think he is just audibles out of run plays? They called like 75% passing plays during the game where they were down bay 4 points at most and Eli looked off from the beginning. This was poor gameplan without adjustments.

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 12:46 PM

I think Eli was more off than Gilbride yesterday.

giantsfam04
10-22-2012, 12:46 PM
The skins have one of the worst pass defenses in the league, what is the problem with letting your franchise qb, throw to your franchise wr's? What I would like to know, what is it about Jim Hasselt's D that Eli has issues with?

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 12:47 PM
We had a 3rd and 1 at one point and the announcers chime in that the Giants have been in this position 8 times so far this year and its ALL been run plays. The Giants then hit a pass play for a first - easily to with all of Washington playing the run.

Then the announcers are idiots. The Giants are infamous for throwing the Go route (or skinny post) on third and short.

Drives me nuts.

P.S. - We did it yesterday on 3rd and 1 in the 4th and had to punt.

Ruttiger711
10-22-2012, 12:58 PM
Then the announcers are idiots. The Giants are infamous for throwing the Go route (or skinny post) on third and short.

Drives me nuts.

P.S. - We did it yesterday on 3rd and 1 in the 4th and had to punt.

The announcers ARE idiots that's why I'm sure they were reading a stat line fed to them for the down and exact distance, not just 3rd and short.

This was early in the game - completion to Bennett

rtahsin
10-22-2012, 12:59 PM

Drives me nuts.

P.S. - We did it yesterday on 3rd and 1 in the 4th and had to punt.i thought that too. I thought teams would predict us throwing on 3rd and short rather than running because we seem to throw more often in those situations. I think if we really wanted to throw a team off then we should run it in those situations. But as someone denoted, it is a high risk play and when it works we celebrate it but when it doesn't we all get mad and call for someone's head.

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 01:06 PM
i thought that too. I thought teams would predict us throwing on 3rd and short rather than running because we seem to throw more often in those situations. I think if we really wanted to throw a team off then we should run it in those situations. But as someone denoted, it is a high risk play and when it works we celebrate it but when it doesn't we all get mad and call for someone's head.

The other note to that is that we weren't running well yesterday.

And the Go route (or Skinny Post) on the third and short often works much better (selling it wise) when we're running the ball well (since they will be honoring the run that much more).

JimC
10-22-2012, 01:11 PM
Perhaps in Chapter 3 of "Coaching for Dummies" it says on 3rd and 1 you run the football, but in real football you need to be a little more creative than that. You have to consider who you are playing, how the opposing team is lining up, how your running game is going thus far and lots of other stuff. Apparently, Eli and company felt that there was a higher percentage of completing the pass than trying to run against an 8 man front.

Tony Bruno
10-22-2012, 02:11 PM
After winning 2 SB's under KG he isnt someone Im going to go out of my way tp bash anymore... He has my respect... With that said on the 2 - 3rd and 1's I would would have tried to get the 1st down on the ground.. Also, when we got the ball back with 5 min left in the game I would have ran the ball instead of throwing it... It got picked... I think we should have ran a few more times but at the end of the day the passing game is our better option nowa days and Im a fan of doing what works!!! I trust Eli so it downt matter whats called....

GameTime
10-22-2012, 02:12 PM
if KG was off then so be it...BFD. It happens.
BTW....they won....

Tony Bruno
10-22-2012, 02:13 PM
I think Eli was more off than Gilbride yesterday.

Agreed... But as long as there is a chance Eli is the man!!!

Antwuan
10-22-2012, 02:15 PM
40 Passes 19 Rushes.

And the thing really pissed me off was that the Giants were still passing the ball in the 4th Qrt. I understand the Redskins may not have a great secondary but you have run the more than 19 times.

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 02:15 PM
Agreed... But as long as there is a chance Eli is the man!!!

P.S. - Eli said that the Go route to Cruz for the game winner was all Gilbride's call. I think people need to chill on KG.

Tony Bruno
10-22-2012, 02:19 PM
P.S. - Eli said that the Go route to Cruz for the game winner was all Gilbride's call. I think people need to chill on KG.

Yea I dont doubt that... You know KG loves to chuck the ball... Great playcall, better reads by the guys!!!

rtahsin
10-22-2012, 03:51 PM
40 Passes 19 Rushes.

And the thing really pissed me off was that the Giants were still passing the ball in the 4th Qrt. I understand the Redskins may not have a great secondary but you have run the more than 19 times.Yeah I wish they ran the ball more in that game. I know we weren't getting any real success on the ground but if we kept at it then things may have opened up. In the 49ers game we kept pounding it till we were able to get something going. And when I mean run the ball more I mean in the obvious rushing downs.

PRGiant
10-22-2012, 03:55 PM
Yeah I hated those 2 picks Gilbride threw!!