PDA

View Full Version : Think Panthers may want Marc Ross

slipknottin
10-22-2012, 02:43 PM
Would be a big loss to the organization. Far bigger than any FA they have lost recently.

Thoughts?

JimC
10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
On the surface I would agree, but just like the team "Next man up".

EnragedYouth85
10-22-2012, 02:46 PM
Well hes the man right under Reese, so he would be a big loss. Hopefully Reese has a plan worked out for his replacement. I'm sure Ross was letting Reese know he was thinking about leaving and hopefully they started getting some other person on our staff up to speed! I think we will be okay, Reese is still here, he might have to do more work this next off season until he gets someone up to speed though..

GMENAGAIN
10-22-2012, 02:48 PM
It would be a huge loss for sure, but is that a desireable job (at least as far as NFL GM joobs go)? It sounds like the owner is a real pain in the ***. . . . .

slipknottin
10-22-2012, 02:51 PM
It would be a huge loss for sure, but is that a desireable job (at least as far as NFL GM joobs go)? It sounds like the owner is a real pain in the ***. . . . .

Every GM or head coach job is desirable. There are only 32 of those available. You get a chance you have to take it

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 02:55 PM
Would be a big loss to the organization. Far bigger than any FA they have lost recently.

Thoughts?

Ross is a Reese disciple.

Reese will find another one. I like Marc Ross, but I'd be more worried about losing Reese and having Ross as our GM, then Ross going to be GM on another team.

That's not a reflection of Marc Ross ... just that I don't think he's the lynch pin around which all of our successful drafting revolves around.

Sundown
10-22-2012, 02:56 PM
Just saw your tweet to mike haha

GMENAGAIN
10-22-2012, 03:12 PM
Every GM or head coach job is desirable. There are only 32 of those available. You get a chance you have to take it

Yeah, I guess . . . . . but if he's that much of a shining star, I'd have to think there might be some better opportunities for him at the end of the season. Taking a bad job and failing because of a bad situation could make it impossible to ever get another job.

In any event, whether it's this job or another, he's not going to be around long . . . . .

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 03:17 PM
Yeah, I guess . . . . . but if he's that much of a shining star, I'd have to think there might be some better opportunities for him at the end of the season. Taking a bad job and failing because of a bad situation could make it impossible to ever get another job.

In any event, whether it's this job or another, he's not going to be around long . . . . .

Very few people have the poise (or the total balls) to turn down a GM job in the NFL (especially given if that's your career track, which in Ross' case it is).

And in most circumstances, turning down a GM (or HC) job offer is detrimental to your career. Billionaires don't like to feel slighted and they tend to be a tight knit group.

Ny_STAT1989
10-22-2012, 03:17 PM

actually their are only 31 of those available, Dallas does not have one.

ny06
10-22-2012, 03:24 PM
Very few people have the poise (or the total balls) to turn down a GM job in the NFL (especially given if that's your career track, which in Ross' case it is).

And in most circumstances, turning down a GM (or HC) job offer is detrimental to your career. Billionaires don't like to feel slighted and they tend to be a tight knit group.
That's not true at all. Just like any job promotions you pick and choose what you feel is the best choice for yourself. Just cause a guy turns down a job offer doesn't mean he will be blackballed from the owners over it. It's not like Mark Ross is out of the job and is looking for any type of employment. He could wait and see if there is better offers down the road, cause as we all know there will be more job openings in the future.

Redeyejedi
10-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Thoughts?Im surprised we havent lost him already to be honest

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
That's not true at all. Just like any job promotions you pick and choose what you feel is the best choice for yourself. Just cause a guy turns down a job offer doesn't mean he will be blackballed from the owners over it. It's not like Mark Ross is out of the job and is looking for any type of employment. He could wait and see if there is better offers down the road, cause as we all know there will be more job openings in the future.

Think about what you're saying.

It's the same as a VP turning down the CEO position of a Fortune 50 company because he doesn't like how far down the 50 list they are. It just doesn't happen (generally speaking).

Not saying he will or won't turn them down, but if offered the job, will most likely take it.

And yes, turning down those positions can (not always) effect the offers you get later on in the NFL.

Kruunch
10-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Im surprised we havent lost him already to be honest

This.

RagTime Blue
10-22-2012, 03:37 PM
There's more to being a GM than college scouting. I do think Ross could make a good one though.

flimflam
10-24-2012, 08:35 AM

Reese will find another one. I like Marc Ross, but I'd be more worried about losing Reese and having Ross as our GM, then Ross going to be GM on another team.

That's not a reflection of Marc Ross ... just that I don't think he's the lynch pin around which all of our successful drafting revolves around.

I think Ross is integral to our scouting and drafting. While no one is irreplaceable, I think Ross is about as close as you can get. He is Reese's #1 Lieutenant. Funnily enough, I have wondered if teams have wanted to poach from us due to our successful drafts.

Should we send an email to the Panthers saying this is the same guy who drafted Sinorice Moss, Clint Sintim, Phillip Dillard, Matt Dodge, etc? Maybe that will stop them.

juice33s
10-24-2012, 12:18 PM
You mean the guy who called Marvin Austin a top 15 pick?....lol, The Giants will manage to survive

CowboysSuck
10-24-2012, 12:21 PM
actually their are only 31 of those available, Dallas does not have one.

I dont think the Raiders did until a couple of years ago either. The late Al Davis and Jerry Jones in their aging years have ruined their teams.

slipknottin
10-24-2012, 12:29 PM
You mean the guy who called Marvin Austin a top 15 pick?....lol, The Giants will manage to survive

Austin had top 15 talent. There is no doubt about that

juice33s
10-24-2012, 12:41 PM
It was a bold statement to say the least considering his college resume and with each passing game that statement looks more and more outlandish

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 12:43 PM
It was a bold statement to say the least considering his college resume and with each passing game that statement looks more and more outlandish

I agree with the sentiment but Austin being out of football for as long as he had been is still getting up to speed.

i.e. the jury isn't out on him yet.

GMENAGAIN
10-24-2012, 12:55 PM

The only question is where did it go?

flimflam
10-24-2012, 02:19 PM
Austin was suspended a year, and then injured a year. He is 7 games into his first NFL season in 2 years. The guy has the capability to be better than any tckle on this current roster. Linval might be a freaking brute, and Kuhn might give effort, but Austin has the best pure blend of speed an size-a man that big should not move that quick. One day, it will click for him, and we will have Marvin "Hammer Jr" Austin manning the middle of our D. He will be like a baby Keith Hamilton. [Or so I hope and predict].

fansince69
10-24-2012, 02:21 PM
Austin was suspended a year, and then injured a year. He is 7 games into his first NFL season in 2 years. The guy has the capability to be better than any tckle on this current roster. Linval might be a freaking brute, and Kuhn might give effort, but Austin has the best pure blend of speed an size-a man that big should not move that quick. One day, it will click for him, and we will have Marvin "Hammer Jr" Austin manning the middle of our D. He will be like a baby Keith Hamilton. [Or so I hope and predict].

well said and I agree

GrimRich
10-24-2012, 02:32 PM
I'm hoping that Keith Hamilton's son falls to us with the 32nd pick in 4 years :-)

YATittle1962
10-24-2012, 02:36 PM
would be a huge loss

just as Reese was groomed under Accorsi ....Ross is being groomed under Reese

and this is not like a next man up thing as it is with players

miked1958
10-24-2012, 02:42 PM

That's not a reflection of Marc Ross ... just that I don't think he's the lynch pin around which all of our successful drafting revolves around.I would not be surprised if they was already someone being groomed and under his wing to take over. I highly doubt Reese hasnt anticipated this happening sooner or later and i am sure he has thought about it and has a plan of action

fansince69
10-24-2012, 02:45 PM
I would not be surprised if they was already someone being groomed and under his wing to take over. I highly doubt Reese hasnt anticipated this happening sooner or later and i am sure he has thought about it and has a plan of action

I seriously doubt there are many things reese hasn't planned for

joemorrisforprez
10-24-2012, 03:14 PM

Thoughts?

Ross is a huge contributor to the Giants organization, and has a tremendous reputation.

It's only a matter of time when some team takes him, and when they do, it will be a huge loss.

That's not to say he can't eventually be replaced, but anyone who thinks this is just another guy is mistaken. He's is one of the biggest reasons behind Reese's success as GM.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 03:17 PM
would be a huge loss

just as Reese was groomed under Accorsi ....Ross is being groomed under Reese

and this is not like a next man up thing as it is with players

I prefer to view that sky as half tall, rather than falling :p

thomsoad
10-24-2012, 04:24 PM
I'm hoping that Keith Hamilton's son falls to us with the 32nd pick in 4 years :-)

Were the guy panning for Chris Simms too?