PDA

View Full Version : Wilson Kick-offs

oldsmobile
10-22-2012, 03:40 PM
Don't know why Randle was playing 'traffic cop", on Wilson coming out of end zone ?
Any time Wilson touches ball he could go all the way !!!!
When wilson did come out of end zone , Randle never blocked anybody.
Put Brown back there with Wilson , I know he will hit somebody .

Toadofsteel
10-22-2012, 03:43 PM
Brown's concussion came on a kickoff...

b_ELI_eve
10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
You didn't think very hard before creating this thread

Drez
10-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Maybe it has to do with the fact that the Skins had good coverage all day and taking the ball out when you field it 7 yards deep is typically a very stupid thing to do.

ELIte4MVP
10-22-2012, 03:45 PM
the problem is wilson ALWAYS wants to take it out no matter what. i have seen a few returns by him where he is coming out of the back of the endzone and gets to the 10. that is not acceptable

Moke
10-22-2012, 03:46 PM
I feel like Wilson wants to go for it all the time. Is he seeing the field open? Hope he knows when to run and not to

Toadofsteel
10-22-2012, 03:47 PM
the problem is wilson ALWAYS wants to take it out no matter what. i have seen a few returns by him where he is coming out of the back of the endzone and gets to the 10. that is not acceptable

To be honest I can't really blame the kid for wanting to try. TC seems hell-bent on not giving him any chances to produce on offense anymore. Hell, he didn't give Bradshaw that much of a chance to produce this week either. It kind of sucks having Bradshaw at #1 (and then not getting that many carries anyway) when we have two emerging potential #1's in Brown and Wilson available. But if it keeps Eli from getting injured, I can deal with it...

Randle playing traffic cop might be a good idea for now...

NYFG
10-22-2012, 03:49 PM
Randle is just doing his job, the Skins had great kick return coverage yesterday and got down field quick. They were usually near the 5 yard line when Wilson was catching the ball, no way should he run it out then.

ELIte4MVP
10-22-2012, 03:53 PM
To be honest I can't really blame the kid for wanting to try. TC seems hell-bent on not giving him any chances to produce on offense anymore. Hell, he didn't give Bradshaw that much of a chance to produce this week either. It kind of sucks having Bradshaw at #1 (and then not getting that many carries anyway) when we have two emerging potential #1's in Brown and Wilson available. But if it keeps Eli from getting injured, I can deal with it...

Randle playing traffic cop might be a good idea for now...

i don't blame him either. he has great explosiveness and im sure he thinks he can make something happen on every play. if i had that athleticism i would do the same thing. but having randle out there for now is a great idea as you said

oldsmobile
10-23-2012, 02:18 AM
I yelled at TV. All the plus comments about his "kick-offs" against 49er's ,. Now every body says that was right thing to do ?????
Surprised no one made a " that'how we lost Jason Sehorn , maybe we shouldn't suit him up . How about Ravens player returning one , 108 yards ,couple of weeks ago . Maybe Ravens could use a "traffic cop" ? No 108 yard return , Wilson could do that if you don't holler "RED LIGHT" .

GMan-67
10-23-2012, 02:26 AM
yeah i saw that, in Randle's defense i think that was only the 1st or 2nd game he was in that role .. before the concussion Brown was back there with him and Scott also had that role a couple games when he dressed, of course now he's IR

and the kicks he stopped him on were received at the very back of the end zone

but in Wilson's defense he is capable of hitting a big one anytime from anywhere and w/o knowing the actual hang time on those kicks, it's hard to say what the right decision was

they'll talk about it and decide how to handle it ... personally, i'd risk starting at the 12 or 15 to give the kid a chance, he's been dynamic

greenca190
10-23-2012, 02:50 AM
any of you ever play special teams before?

i did. because i wasn't that good at regular teams. sometimes you just have to lay down.

the guy has been lightning back there for us some games. he's a healthy dose of special teams returns that we haven't had in a while. the redskins game was close all the way through. it was a field position battle at the point where randle stopped him. randle made a smart call. i'm happy as a giants fan to see two rookies, who will hopefully be with the team for a long time, communicating and listening coherently to one another.

dave56dj
10-23-2012, 03:24 AM
So because there have been some exceptions to the rule we should start sending wilson out 6-8 yards deep? Go back and watch Jacoby Jones on the next kickoff he tries to take one out 6 yards deep and is tackled at the 14. Most of the time the move is bad. The one time it works out of 100 you see it and like a shark attack you don't forget it. Still - its a bad play - even if its someone with the talent of Wilson. Right call by randle. 5 yards in - maybe - anything more is asking for trouble.

Captain Chaos
10-23-2012, 05:59 AM
It's probably some key that the coaches have worked out, but with Wilson he turn on the jets and get 40 yards...

Drez
10-23-2012, 07:25 AM
I yelled at TV. All the plus comments about his "kick-offs" against 49er's ,. Now every body says that was right thing to do ?????
Surprised no one made a " that'how we lost Jason Sehorn , maybe we shouldn't suit him up . How about Ravens player returning one , 108 yards ,couple of weeks ago . Maybe Ravens could use a "traffic cop" ? No 108 yard return , Wilson could do that if you don't holler "RED LIGHT" .
What's more likely, that Wilson gets tackled at the 13 or takes it to the house?

GMan-67
10-23-2012, 08:18 AM
What's more likely, that Wilson gets tackled at the 13 or takes it to the house?

tackled at the 13 BUT, do the math

13, 13, 13, 13 ... so minus 28, then boom he rips one out to the 50 ... plus 30 ... plus 2!!!! or better ... let the kid run ... he's trying to get to the HOF :)

slipknottin
10-23-2012, 09:33 AM
That is Randles job. To let him know if he should take it out or not.

When Brown got concussed and only got to the 10 that was because Wilson did not stop him from taking it out

GCGiant
10-23-2012, 09:41 AM
That is Randles job. To let him know if he should take it out or not.

When Brown got concussed and only got to the 10 that was because Wilson did not stop him from taking it out

When returning a punt, most coaches have a rule for returners to stand at the 10 and if the ball goes over your head, let it go. I would imagine that Randle was given specific instructions and he is just doing what he is being told. I would be surprised if they just played it by ear.

nhpgiantsfan
10-23-2012, 10:05 AM
Knowing how prepared TC is, I would bet he has percentages on on how many times kicks returned from the back end of the end zone actually get positive yards passed the 20 yard line. I would bet that Randle is told to stop him if he catches it in the back end.

CowboysSuck
10-23-2012, 10:11 AM
Knowing how prepared TC is, I would bet he has percentages on on how many times kicks returned from the back end of the end zone actually get positive yards passed the 20 yard line. I would bet that Randle is told to stop him if he catches it in the back end.

I talked to TC yesterday and he said it is two things: How far back in the endzone Wilson catches it, and the read Randle gets looking upfield just before the catch.

CowboysSuck
10-23-2012, 10:14 AM
Every now and again, like another poster said, Jason Sehorn pops into my mind. I have no doubt that Wilson is a top RB talent in the league in a few short years, so why should we risk it? Hixon was pretty good at returns too but the difference is hes not a future star. Lets throw him back there...

slipknottin
10-23-2012, 11:04 AM
Every now and again, like another poster said, Jason Sehorn pops into my mind. I have no doubt that Wilson is a top RB talent in the league in a few short years, so why should we risk it? Hixon was pretty good at returns too but the difference is hes not a future star. Lets throw him back there...

He's not any more likely to get injured returning kicks than he is playing HB.

nhpgiantsfan
10-23-2012, 11:52 AM

For this season specifically losing Hixon would hurt us more than losing Wilson. But when Wilson does become our primary back, he shouldn't and probably won't be returning kicks.

blueNorange
10-23-2012, 12:17 PM
redskins had great coverage all game long

Dwinsballgames
10-23-2012, 12:20 PM
When returning a punt, most coaches have a rule for returners to stand at the 10 and if the ball goes over your head, let it go. I would imagine that Randle was given specific instructions and he is just doing what he is being told. I would be surprised if they just played it by ear.

Unfortunately you can't do that with a kickoff cause it's a live ball. We're talking about kick returns here, not punts.

ImElectric2
10-23-2012, 12:55 PM
Let's try and keep context of the game. If I recall correctly the way the game was going at the point did not warrant the risk. We weren't moving the ball particularly well and we needed every guaranteed yard we could get. Taking it from 8 yards deep at that instance of that game would have been foolish. But if he took it out and fumbled I'm sure you'd be questioning why he even considered taking it out in such a tight contest...