PDA

View Full Version : Coughlin End of Half Time Out usage

TuckandRolle33
10-22-2012, 03:48 PM
Maybe it is being a little picky here, but two weeks in a row, we left unnecessary time on the clock at the end of the first half.

Both weeks were a similar scenario, where we had a play finish in bounds, clock running, and we called timeout too soon.

Against SF we called timeout with 15 seconds left....they blocked the kick, completed a 36 yard pass, and had a FG attempt. Akers missed, but that doesn't make it any better that TC called the timeout so early.

Then this week, we do something similar, and call a timeout with 7 seconds to go, instead of 3 or 4... then we have to kick off after the FG.

This isn't major, but it shouldn't happen. And after the SF game, for it to happen again a week later, just makes no sense...

eastbayblue
10-22-2012, 03:52 PM
I have to agree, this is puzzling. Unless you are going to kick the FG on 3rd down and want enough time for a bad snap there is no reason to leave more than 3 sec on the clock.

TheAnalyst
10-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I said the same thing. Bad clock management.

JB456
10-22-2012, 04:16 PM
Maybe it is being a little picky here, but two weeks in a row, we left unnecessary time on the clock at the end of the first half.

Both weeks were a similar scenario, where we had a play finish in bounds, clock running, and we called timeout too soon.

Against SF we called timeout with 15 seconds left....they blocked the kick, completed a 36 yard pass, and had a FG attempt. Akers missed, but that doesn't make it any better that TC called the timeout so early.

Then this week, we do something similar, and call a timeout with 7 seconds to go, instead of 3 or 4... then we have to kick off after the FG.

This isn't major, but it shouldn't happen. And after the SF game, for it to happen again a week later, just makes no sense...

Nothing picky about it. This needs to be corrected ASAP. Why leave anything to chance when you can have 100% control?

RagTime Blue
10-22-2012, 04:27 PM
In TC's defense last week, they say that he thought our receiver had made the first down marker. Anyone watching on TV knew he didn't, but if TC thought he did, then that would explain the timeout with 15 seconds left. Maybe get another play in there before a FG attempt.

This past game. . .absolutely you're right. Why kickoff if you don't have to??

dave56dj
10-22-2012, 04:34 PM
He left 7 seconds on the clock - which is far better then the previous week in san fran (although thats about all he could've left on the clock so not really) but still makes no sense - let it run to 2 seconds and kick the fg. What if paysinger or herzlich or anyone gets hurt on the ensuing kickoff. I can't think of a single benefit extra time would hep with in that spot - If he misses the kick they can set up a hail mary.

I think the coaches get caught up in the game as well. I was listening to the pats jets game after our game and the pats made a play toward the end of the 4th and were gonna let the final seconds tick away so they could finish the qrtr with the game tying kick. The announcers were terrified wanting to know what bellicheck was waiting for. They also got caught up in the game and the clock ticking - with two seconds left they kicked the fg and game went to OT.

I have always thought teams should hire one guy just to help with time management - a math guy who knows when to use the to's pre two minute warning - when its best to go for 2 and everything in this category - just statistically. I realize this all falls on a head coach - but he has so much else going on why not hire and outside ear just to advise. Coaches upstairs may already be doing this but again they are apart of the game as well - just one guy to focus on clock management alone - not the final word just good advice.

DVision
10-22-2012, 04:48 PM
It was 1st down. You leave 7 seconds so if something goes wrong you leave yourself time to try again! That was good clock management! The 15 seconds last week....that's another story!!

dave56dj
10-22-2012, 06:40 PM
dVISION - you have a point - and if weatherford gets a bad snap he can throw it out of bounds - that said if the operation goes bad most likely you are dead to rights - but i guess the former point is worth taking the TO - good call.

RagTime Blue
10-22-2012, 06:59 PM
I disagree. A kickoff returned for a touchdown is far more likely than a bad snap recovered and re-kicked for a FG on the following play.

Even with a touchback, the ball is on the 20. We saw RG3 run 70+ yards the previous week.

Anything is possible, but in my mind, the better percentage play is to finish off the half with the FG attempt.

dave56dj
10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
well that 70 yard run is extremely unlikely against a cloud or prevent d so i can't agree there either. Remember that run came against man press so once he beat the line there wasn't much else to beat - if anything he'd have to throw a 80 yard bomb and RG3 is god but even god would struggle with this throw.

Protecting 3 points isn't an awful idea. Its why most coaches kick fg's on third downs instead of 4ths at the end of games - standard practice and allows the holder to give the team another chance - truth is both plays are extremely unlikely but i can understand the idea more now.

DVision
10-22-2012, 07:09 PM
I disagree. A kickoff returned for a touchdown is far more likely than a bad snap recovered and re-kicked for a FG on the following play.

Even with a touchback, the ball is on the 20. We saw RG3 run 70+ yards the previous week.

Anything is possible, but in my mind, the better percentage play is to finish off the half with the FG attempt.

Please! How many times have you seen a team drive 80 yards in less than 5 seconds at the end of a game or half? You have to have 1 heck of an arm to throw a 80+ yard hail mary and the hook and lateral just doesn't work!!!

dave56dj
10-22-2012, 07:23 PM
And you are definitely squibbing it so the odds are the clock will run out and banks never sees the ball as a return man and most likely time runs out - although if you squib it and they down it I suppose it could be more of a 65 or 70 yard throw and that is ALMOST doable - but still as likely as botching a snap - and that is more important to ensure 3. Starting to agree with dvision.

mike kennedy
10-22-2012, 10:31 PM
I think overall our clock usage this year has much improved from last year. Remember all the timeouts Eli use to call because they could not get a play off in time? Much better clock management.