PDA

View Full Version : Mannigham or hixon?

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 06:22 PM
Who would you rather have? At the start of the season I would have went with Manningham but IDK anymore...Hixon looks great, Manningham was better after the catch and a bigger deep threat but Hixon is a solid as it gets....So who would you rather have and why?

egyptian420
10-22-2012, 06:25 PM
I'll take Hixon because Eli is throwing to him

EnragedYouth85
10-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Hixon runs better routes!

titwio
10-22-2012, 06:32 PM
I'd take Mario. More explosive down the field and has better short area quickness. I like Hixon's hands more but Mario compliments Nicks and Cruz better.

Nicks, Cruz and Mario all brought different attributes to the receiving corps.

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
10-22-2012, 06:34 PM
I'll go with Hixon just bc his routes are more crisp.

lcra0825
10-22-2012, 06:34 PM
Hixon makes some pretty nice catches. He seems to drop it less than manningham did

Eliscruzzz
10-22-2012, 06:35 PM
Rio though I like Hixon

GMenOnDeck
10-22-2012, 06:37 PM
Hixon

Imo his speed is not that off from Manningham. Mario just had more opportunities then Hixon when Hixon was the deep threat pre ACL tear

RoanokeFan
10-22-2012, 06:41 PM
Domenik Hixon is # 43 on the NFL list of receivers and Mario Manningham is # 74. I'd put the numbers up but it never seems to line up right when I do it, but here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2012&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=2&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS

OrangeGiant
10-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Tough call, especially with what Mario did in the SB, but I'd have to take Hixon. There is no question he runs better routes and he makes some tough catches. With a healthy Nicks and Cruz on the field, whoever is playing in that position is going to get opportunities to catch some balls. We all heard Belichick on the sideline during the SB replay on NFLN tell his defense we have to stop Cruz and Nicks-those are the guys. Then who makes the big catch? Manningham. You can't take that away from Mario, but if Hixon can stay healthy I think he can get the job done.

GFiP
10-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Hixon was better before shredding his acl twice. I'd choose Mario now, but not for the money he's making.

Toadofsteel
10-22-2012, 06:52 PM
Hixon any day. Man fights for everything. He knows how to run routes, and he has a fire that, honestly, manningham doesn't have.

rtlax
10-22-2012, 06:53 PM
I have always been a big fan of Hixon. I am really happy for him that he has been able to bounce back so strongly. MM has more natural talent as a wide out but Hixon is more dependable and versatile, he is also more disciplined in route running. Hixon just seems like one of those guys who the Giants could plug into any situation and he would find a way to make it work. I also have more trust in Hixon when it comes to being on the same page as Eli, and that alone trumps everything else.

RoanokeFan
10-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Hixon any day. Man fights for everything. He knows how to run routes, and he has a fire that, honestly, manningham doesn't have.

+1

RoanokeFan
10-22-2012, 06:54 PM
I have always been a big fan of Hixon. I am really happy for him that he has been able to bounce back so strongly. MM has more natural talent as a wide out but Hixon is more dependable and versatile, he is also more disciplined in route running. Hixon just seems like one of those guys who the Giants could plug into any situation and he would find a way to make it work. I also have more trust in Hixon when it comes to being on the same page as Eli, and that alone trumps everything else.

BINGO!

Sundown
10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
Win goes to hixon, he's producing plus he's an inexpensive player for the production he's giving the team

DaKraken
10-22-2012, 07:06 PM
At his price Hixon

Giant stuck in Texas
10-22-2012, 07:14 PM
I'll go with Hixon because of my sweet sig.

scoostraw
10-22-2012, 07:16 PM
Plus don't forget Hixon can return kicks also. And he's pretty good at it.

SLUNK(three)AM
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Hixon - Manningham's low IQ was a liability, though he does seem to be quicker.

jomo
10-22-2012, 07:17 PM
Anyone who has read my comments before knows that it would have been Hixon for as long as he has been here. Not meant as a knock on MM, though his route running is still suspect. It is meant more as a compliment to Hixon who I have always felt was underrated.

moosedrool
10-22-2012, 07:18 PM
If there was no salary cap, MM. He got behind the defense and scored TD's. But I am happy with Hixon.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 07:46 PM
ill take hixon...as athletic as MM was/is..as many nice catches and runs after catch..he made too many mental errors running routes ...things like getting too close to sidelines so there was no place to throw ball

TextureDj
10-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Just speculation, but if MM blows his ACL in the endzone like Hixon did he does not come down with the ball.

That level of intensity is what Hixon brings that Manningham just doesnt have in his makeup. Hixon is a warrior, plain and simple. Mario, while a baller is simply that, a talented athlete with many good aspects to his game.

jomo
10-22-2012, 07:54 PM
Just speculation, but if MM blows his ACL in the endzone like Hixon did he does not come down with the ball.

That level of intensity is what Hixon brings that Manningham just doesnt have in his makeup. Hixon is a warrior, plain and simple. Mario, while a baller is simply that, a talented athlete with many good aspects to his game.It is true, we have learned much about Hixon over the past 2 years of inactivity and all of it is good. Warrior is the right word to power through a 2nd acl and make it back at this level.

dave56dj
10-22-2012, 08:26 PM
Mario is the better all around receiver but for what we need in the three hole Hixon is holding it down nicely at a MUCH cheaper rate and hopefully will pass the torch to ruben when he is ready.

penguinfarmer
10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Comparison of opposites, one brings stability, the other brings some explosiveness [not that Hixon can't be fast].

This is by no means a shot at Hixon, as he is the perfect player the Giants needed to pick up the load this stretch [and even in past seasons]. But if Nicks and Cruz are both healthy, I think I'll be the great minority and take my chances on the mercurialism of Manningham.

fansince69
10-22-2012, 08:29 PM
Mario is the better all around receiver but for what we need in the three hole Hixon is holding it down nicely at a MUCH cheaper rate and hopefully will pass the torch to ruben when he is ready.

based on what? you state that like its fact...one i do not agree with

fourth&forever
10-22-2012, 08:36 PM
Hixon is more dependable. Every play Eli can count on him to run the right routes. Can't say the same for Super Mario.

nhpgiantsfan
10-22-2012, 09:16 PM
I will say I am pleasantly surprised with what we have gotten from Hixon so far. For the number three position Hixon can get the job done. He is not asked to carry the load. But if I was picking my number one receiver and these were my only choices, you'd have to take MM every time.

But when making this comparison, you can't compare what Hixon is doing here with what MM is doing in San Fran. You have to compare it to what MM did here last year, and that was about 540 yards with some big catches and TD's. So lets look at Hixon's numbers at the end of the season, and see how they stack up.

nhpgiantsfan
10-22-2012, 09:18 PM

That level of intensity is what Hixon brings that Manningham just doesnt have in his makeup. Hixon is a warrior, plain and simple. Mario, while a baller is simply that, a talented athlete with many good aspects to his game.

And my speculation is Hixon doesn't make that big play in the SB.

dave56dj
10-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Well you could start with stats -

One has 184 receptions 2,574 yards gained and 19 TD's over a 5 year span (that includes this year) in 55 games played.
On has 85 catched 1,185 yards and 4 td;s over a 7 year span (that includes this year) and 54 games played.

That seems pretty obvious right there - there is also the fact that while Hixon has done a very nice job as our third wr - and i think he is well suited for the 3rd spot with Eli at the helm and at his pay rate - let it be known that 32 other gm's passed on hixon coming off 2 acl surgeries - and this is common, b/c the giants know there damage goods better then anyone - but mario is paid 7 mill b/c he is valued a great deal more then Hixon. Now you may think you know more then all of the other GM's in the league - and often they are wrong with contracts, but its tough to argue with these stats.

There stats are almost equal this year - Hixon actually has more yards but i don't think ANYONE - well except maybe a niner lunatic, would argue Smith is not even close to the player Eli is.

I'm gonna say this is my reason. Again I love hixon - but if I could choose - and the money value is the same - yes I would chose Mario and i think the statistics fully back this up.

YATittle1962
10-22-2012, 09:56 PM
Hixon is a more complete receiver and all around better football player

ShakeandBake
10-22-2012, 09:59 PM
Hixon runs better routes!

If Helen Keller was still around I'm sure she would be able to run better routes than MM as well

nhpgiantsfan
10-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Hixon is a more complete receiver and all around better football player

So I guess the KG and TC were wrong when they had MM higher than Hixon on the depth chart when they were teammates.

Overdrive92
10-22-2012, 10:12 PM
Domenik Hixon is # 43 on the NFL list of receivers and Mario Manningham is # 74. I'd put the numbers up but it never seems to line up right when I do it, but here's the link:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2012&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=2&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDS

To be fair though, Hixon has an elite QB throwing to him. Manningham has a game manager.

nhpgiantsfan
10-22-2012, 10:25 PM
The numbers just don't lie. In 2009 they both were active for 14 games. Hixon had 15 catches for 187 yards. Manningham had 57 catches for 822 yards. This was even after the previous season Hixon filled in nicely after Plax shot himself. The only reason MM is not our number 3 receiver anymore is money. He wanted to get paid and he got it. Is his choice going to hurt his production potential? Of coarse. But that was his choice.

The bottom line is, if they were both available at the same price, JR, TC, KG and #10 would choose MM every time. There is no disputing that.

Rudyy
10-22-2012, 10:26 PM
I like both players. Before the season started, I didn't trust Hixon. 2 ACL tears? didn't believe he would come back. He's totally proved me wrong so far. He's very fast, extremely dependable, has GREAT hands. I wish he can go down field more, because he can be just as explosive as MM.

river555
10-22-2012, 10:37 PM
if you take their salaries into consideration, definitely take Hixon.

giantsfan420
10-22-2012, 11:00 PM
i hate to say it but MM. remember, with nicks/cruz, the 3rd wr is gonna be 1v1 a lot of the time. while hixon has beat 1v1 coverage some, he isnt beating it enough imho and mm almost always would beat 1v1 man coverage...

giantsfan420
10-22-2012, 11:00 PM
if you take their salaries into consideration, definitely take Hixon.

woah great point.

end thread/

YATittle1962
10-22-2012, 11:08 PM
So I guess the KG and TC were wrong when they had MM higher than Hixon on the depth chart when they were teammates.

2009?

if Hixon was healthy in the past 2 years he would have been ahead of Mario without a doubt

Domenik has played better in the few games this season than Mario has in his life

the guy spent 4 years here and could not grasp the offense

Eliscruzzz
10-22-2012, 11:08 PM

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&season=2012&seasonType=REG&d-447263-n=1&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-p=2&statisticCategory=RECEIVING&conference=null&d-447263-s=RECEIVING_YARDSThat is this year and you have to consider the QB they are playing for....Mario is the better wr.

Cool Papa B.
10-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Tough question. MM has so much potential, but as of right now he hasn't come close to reaching and he doesn't look like he'll get there. I felt he and Eli was building a chemistry and rythm last year. Was hoping to see it carried through, but you knew after that catch in the SB, the Giants wouldn't be able to resign him.

Hixon doesn't have the same upside as MM, BUT he's a very yough, disciplined WR with good hands and he does get open. He's doing a really good job right now. I give a slight edge to MM, but let's see how well Hixon plays for the rest of the season.

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 11:24 PM
2009?

if Hixon was healthy in the past 2 years he would have been ahead of Mario without a doubt

Domenik has played better in the few games this season than Mario has in his life

I disagreed with you when you said hixon was better at the start of the year but watching I agree, the only thing manningham did better was run after the catch...hixon is also a very good special teams player.

alentown pa
10-22-2012, 11:25 PM
woah great point.

end thread/

real good point...i should have worded the thread better...all things being equal, in other words you could have both for the same price.

jomo
10-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I disagreed with you when you said hixon was better at the start of the year but watching I agree, the only thing manningham did better was run after the catch...hixon is also a very good special teams player.Not sure that I agree with the run after catch comment. True, MM is more explosive but as with his route running problems, MM had difficulty understanding down and distance. Many times MM would catch the ball and in trying to break a big play would belly back only to be tackled short of the first down markers.

nhpgiantsfan
10-22-2012, 11:53 PM
2009?

So how is it that MM was the starting WR last year before Cruz emerged. Why didn't Hixon get the job. I suppose you will tell me because he was coming back from injury and then got re-injured. The numbers don't lie. Yes, look at 2009. It's really the only year you can compare them. But it's actually no comparison. Even after Hixon stepped up in 2008. Our coaches still chose MM over him. And guess what, they would have this year too, if they could afford him...

fansince69
10-23-2012, 12:10 AM
So how is it that MM was the starting WR last year before Cruz emerged. Why didn't Hixon get the job. I suppose you will tell me because he was coming back from injury and then got re-injured. The numbers don't lie. Yes, look at 2009. It's really the only year you can compare them. But it's actually no comparison. Even after Hixon stepped up in 2008. Our coaches still chose MM over him. And guess what, they would have this year too, if they could afford him...

last year Hixon was starting till he hurt his knee in the second game...in 2010 he hurt his knee in preseason.....I am not sure where you draw the conclusion that the coaching staff chose.mm......Hixon was hurt there was no choice

nhpgiantsfan
10-23-2012, 12:21 AM
last year Hixon was starting till he hurt his knee in the second game...in 2010 he hurt his knee in preseason.....I am not sure where you draw the conclusion that the coaching staff chose.mm......Hixon was hurt there was no choice

Nicks and MM were the starting receivers to start the season last year.

fansince69
10-23-2012, 12:29 AM
Nicks and MM were the starting receivers to start the season last year.
.after I got thinking about it i realized you are right but only because hixon was coming off the injury....the fact still remains that the coaching staff did not look at 2 players and say this one is better than this one..the way you make it seem...there was much more to it.

NYKiller
10-23-2012, 12:31 AM
Tough questions: I not sure Hixon would have made the over the shoulder catch that Cruz made to win the game. He might have turn around to give himself a better chance to catch the ball while going to the ground. We all saw what Mannigham did in the Superbowl, but I've yet to see Hixon make a big over the shoulder catch like Cruz did and keep running. Maybe you guys have seen it, but I have not. This is a tough decision for me because Hixon might have better hands, but I'm not too sure about that. I do know that Mannigham is faster and is used effectively on end around plays. To not be a homer I have to say I would need to see more of these two players to make the right choice.

nhpgiantsfan
10-23-2012, 12:49 AM
.after I got thinking about it i realized you are right but only because hixon was coming off the injury....the fact still remains that the coaching staff did not look at 2 players and say this one is better than this one..the way you make it seem...there was much more to it.

I figured I would get the injury response, and in fairness to Hixon, your point is a fair one. But maybe you can explain what the coaches were thinking in 2009 after Hixon took over for Plax pretty nicely in 2008, they pretty much restricted I'm to special teams, while MM gained over 800 yards.

fansince69
10-23-2012, 01:17 AM
I figured I would get the injury response, and in fairness to Hixon, your point is a fair one. But maybe you can explain what the coaches were thinking in 2009 after Hixon took over for Plax pretty nicely in 2008, they pretty much restricted I'm to special teams, while MM gained over 800 yards.

That one you may have a point...I just feel for as talented as MM could be he used to infuriate me as I watch him do stupid things ...as a rookie I can forgive ...but he kept doing some of the same things even as late as last year.....getting too close to sidelines on his route...running backwards after catch to lose first downs.....and other things that i can't recall off top of my head...

..you keep pointing out his stats....unfortunately his stats would have been far greater if he had a better learning curve....as the saying goes...you can't fix stupid....I will give him credit...by last year he was starting to overcome some of it and his production was starting to outweigh dumb....but not till last year

Captain Chaos
10-23-2012, 05:04 AM
Mario had the speed and quicks, Hixon's knee has slowed him a little...

GMan-67
10-23-2012, 06:20 AM
i'd rather have the guy that wants to be here and that was Hixon .... Manningham didnt want to be here

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 06:40 AM
That is this year and you have to consider the QB they are playing for....Mario is the better wr.

This year is what counts, no? There is no "who is the QB" asterisk in the numbers. I've never understood why fans want tol talk about how badly we miss some player who is not longer here. Smith couldn't be replaced, wrong. Boss couldn't be replaced, wrong. Plaxico couldn't be repalced, wrong.

Players come and go every season. It's pointless to argue what a player who has left would do because there is no factual information that can back up the argument.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hixon is here, he's making plays, what else cold we ask for?

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Mario had the speed and quicks, Hixon's knee has slowed him a little...

How has that affected his numbers?

nhpgiantsfan
10-23-2012, 07:42 AM
This year is what counts, no? There is no "who is the QB" asterisk in the numbers. I've never understood why fans want tol talk about how badly we miss some player who is not longer here. Smith couldn't be replaced, wrong. Boss couldn't be replaced, wrong. Plaxico couldn't be repalced, wrong.

Players come and go every season. It's pointless to argue what a player who has left would do because there is no factual information that can back up the argument.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. Hixon is here, he's making plays, what else cold we ask for?

I don't think anyone is saying anything bad about Hixon. He has done great. But the original post was who would everyone rather have if money wasn't the issue. So people are giving there opinions.

Everyone knows you are a big Hixon guy, and that's great he's having a very nice season so far. But you are not being fair when you try and compare this years numbers. It's quite obvious that you can't compare what one WR is doing with Eli Manning to what another WR is doing with Alex Smith.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 07:50 AM
I don't think anyone is saying anything bad about Hixon. He has done great. But the original post was who would everyone rather have if money wasn't the issue. So people are giving there opinions. Everyone knows you are a big Hixon guy, and that's great he's having a very nice season so far. But you are not being fair when you try and compare this years numbers. It's quite obvious that you can't compare what one WR is doing with Eli Manning to what another WR is doing with Alex Smith. So why do we have stats if they're useless?

fansince69
10-23-2012, 07:54 AM
So why do we have stats if they're useless?

most stats.... because they are used out of context are useless.....some more useless than others
but if we didn't have stats...what would people on this board talk about?

Superbowl
10-23-2012, 07:54 AM
It' s my feeling that Hixon just never got the chance to shine. We will soon find out what Hixon is this year.

Kruunch
10-23-2012, 07:56 AM
Who would you rather have? At the start of the season I would have went with Manningham but IDK anymore...Hixon looks great, Manningham was better after the catch and a bigger deep threat but Hixon is a solid as it gets....So who would you rather have and why?

In a vacuum, MM. He stays on the field more than Hixon does and produces more (if inconsistently).

In context, Hixon. He costs much less than MM, is smarter, runs a better route and is generally more dependable. And we already have two other big play receivers on the team.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 08:08 AM
most stats.... because they are used out of context are useless.....some more useless than others but if we didn't have stats...what would people on this board talk about? Don't agents use stats to get their players paid?

Kruunch
10-23-2012, 08:18 AM
Don't agents use stats to get their players paid?

The agents use drugs and hookers too ... not sure that's a good point. ;)

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 08:23 AM
The agents use drugs and hookers too ... not sure that's a good point. ;) I should have been an agent then

Marvelousmik
10-23-2012, 08:31 AM
I'd take Mario. More explosive down the field and has better short area quickness. I like Hixon's hands more but Mario compliments Nicks and Cruz better.

Nicks, Cruz and Mario all brought different attributes to the receiving corps.

no. hixon is faster. manninham is quicker

fansince69
10-23-2012, 08:32 AM
I should have been an agent then

you just stick to giving us the articles leave the hookers and drugs to us

sorry RF I have always thought stats without context don't mean a lot..... for example tackles is one of the dumbest stats....another example a team is way ahead so they go into prevent defense........the other team is going to rack up a lot of yards........does that make that defense bad because they gave up a bunch of yards? stats although useful can be misleading

Marvelousmik
10-23-2012, 08:40 AM
based on what? you state that like its fact...one i do not agree with

manningham is an average

fansince69
10-23-2012, 08:42 AM
manningham is an average

Im not sure why you are quoting me....I agree he is average

nhpgiantsfan
10-23-2012, 08:59 AM
So why do we have stats if they're useless?

Stats aren't completely useless. No doubt playing with San Fran is going to affect MM's stats which will def affect his next contract. Maybe he should have thought about that before he chose San Fran, but he made his bed and now he has to lay in it. But if you want to get a more accurate comparison, then you should compare Hixon's stats at the end of the season to MM's stats when he was here last year.

One thing I will say about Hixon, is that when asked or expected to run a certain route, Eli can trust the he will run that route every time. The same can't be said for MM. Does that make Hixon a better receiver? In my opinion, no, but it does make him a better security blanket for Eli.