PDA

View Full Version : Victor Cruz Focusing on Game, Not Tiny Giants' Contract

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084184/article/victor-cruz-focusing-on-game-not-tiny-giants-contract

Excerpt: "Guess what? Victor Cruz isn't going away.

The New York Giants (http://www.nfl.com/teams/newyorkgiants/profile?team=NYG) receiver leads the team and ranks third in the league with 50 receptions through seven games. He's on pace for 114 catches, 1,433 yards and 16 touchdowns in just his second season as a starter.

These numbers don't align with his puny contract. Cruz is making just $540,000 this year, and there's little talk -- beyond hints from the team -- of a new deal. He becomes a restricted free agent in 2013.

"I just kind of want to block it out," Cruz told Bob Glauber of Newsday on Monday (http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/victor-cruz-deserves-a-better-contract-1.4142236). "I feel like if I start thinking about it, it will start consuming me, and I don't want it to get that way. I just want to block it out and focus on football, and I think I've been doing a good job of that." Read more...

EddieBlue
10-23-2012, 01:33 PM
class act. hope he is rewarded and retires a giant

Rudyy
10-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I wish more players in this league were like him.
Good for you Victor, I hope you get rewarded this off season.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 01:39 PM
Victor will get a fitting reward. Hopefully from Jerry Reese.

ryan12
10-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Victor will get a fitting reward. Hopefully from Jerry Reese.

+ 5,000,000,000,001

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 01:47 PM
I believe JR will find a way to keep Nicks and Cruz. If it comes down to only being able to keep one of them, and Cruz continues to play as he has and maintains his durability, I think Reese may keep Cruz over Nicks. Victor's numbers through 25 games is pretty impressive and put him in some top flight company.

EddieBlue
10-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Well according to Redskin fans he sold his soul to the devil....hes in the illuminatti....so im seeing a REALLY big contract....maybe 10 years 500 billion dollars

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 01:53 PM
Well according to Redskin fans he sold his soul to the devil....hes in the illuminatti....so im seeing a REALLY big contract....maybe 10 years 500 billion dollars

What was it the Redskins gave Haynesworth?

yoeddy
10-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Hoping they give him a new contract during the bye week and lock him up for a few years...

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Hoping they give him a new contract during the bye week and lock him up for a few years...

I wouldn't be surprised if he's not working on it as we sit here

NYFG
10-23-2012, 02:00 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000084184/article/victor-cruz-focusing-on-game-not-tiny-giants-contract
These numbers don't align with his puny contract. Cruz is making just $540,000 this year, and there's little talk -- beyond hints from the team -- of a new deal. He becomes a restricted free agent in 2013.

I wonder if Cambells pays him more?

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I wonder if Cambells pays him more?

Endorsements tend to outpace salaries for the truly elite players. I would think Eli brings in more through his endorsements

ryan12
10-23-2012, 02:02 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he's not working on it as we sit here

that wouldnt suprise me at all. i hope jr has a few tricks up his sleeve we need jpp nicks and cruz to retire as GIANTS

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
that wouldnt suprise me at all. i hope jr has a few tricks up his sleeve we need jpp nicks and cruz to retire as GIANTS

Keeping Nicks and Cruz in Eli's stable for the foreseeable future would be in the best long term interests of the team. Who to release/re-structure is going to be critical to make it happen.

TheAnalyst
10-23-2012, 02:04 PM
We should of locked him up last offseason. Anyone who watches football knew he wasn't going to be a 1 year wonder.

nYg24
10-23-2012, 02:06 PM
I've been wondering myself why it has taken so long. Hope he doesn't hit free agency but i don't see that happening.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 02:10 PM
We should of locked him up last offseason. Anyone who watches football knew he wasn't going to be a 1 year wonder.

I believe I can quote Jerry Reese as saying "one great year doesn't make a great career." That was nothing more than a negotiating strategy by Reese. But had they signed him to top tier money and he was injured in camp, what would we all be saying? I honestly believe they will try to extend Cruz before this season is over.

rainierjef
10-23-2012, 02:18 PM
I believe I can quote Jerry Reese as saying "one great year doesn't make a great career." That was nothing more than a negotiating strategy by Reese. But had they signed him to top tier money and he was injured in camp, what would we all be saying? I honestly believe they will try to extend Cruz before this season is over.

Exactly.

you cannot be quick the jump the gun on these contracts, especially with break out players. Fans are so enamoured by the production that they don't think long term, they say lock him up now we'll sort out the rest later I.E. ( Injuries, off season issues that come with new fame positive or negative, how that player handles now being a target and seeing new attention schemes from coordinators...etc) Cruz should get his contract renewed, how that contract is friendly to our cap is what i am more interested in finding out.

ryan12
10-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Keeping Nicks and Cruz in Eli's stable for the foreseeable future would be in the best long term interests of the team. Who to release/re-structure is going to be critical to make it happen.

release diehl,canty and webster...... restructure eli and bradshaw if need be

thomsoad
10-23-2012, 02:22 PM
Im hoping Cruz is rewarded for his selfless act with a big contract with most of it guaranteed.
His behavior should be rewarded in this NFL world of contract holdouts and "Pay The Man" verbage.
This is the chance for the Giants Organization to reward class instead of selfish actions.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 02:23 PM
release diehl,canty and webster...... restructure eli and bradshaw if need be

Osi? Tuck? There has been a lot of talk on here about what's happened to Tuck and Osi.

ryan12
10-23-2012, 02:25 PM
Osi? Tuck? There has been a lot of talk on here about what's happened to Tuck and Osi.

osi isnt under contract next year and tuck isnt playing as bad as everyone says but maybe he should take alittle pay cut as well

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 02:27 PM
osi isnt under contract next year and tuck isnt playing as bad as everyone says but maybe he should take alittle pay cut as well

Not paying Osi is as good as money in the bank ;)

Flip Empty
10-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Eli would be pissed if Cruz was allowed to walk. I can't see it happening.

TheAnalyst
10-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Osi isnt under contract after this season. He is as good as gone. 10 years in Big Blue, 2 Superbowls. Not too bad.

EddieBlue
10-23-2012, 02:32 PM

i dont think he will get one in the bye week - makes no sense...let him play out the year then give it to him

Flip Empty
10-23-2012, 02:35 PM
Tuck has always been underpaid. He's been good for the team.

G.I. Ants
10-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Due to the fact that Cruz is playing at such a high level and him being incredibly humble, his popularity is through roof. Casual & hardcore fans alike love a feel good story and his storybook career has blessed him financially outside of football. Advertisement income has definitely contributed in helping him focus on the game because he is most likely making more money in ads alone. It will be tough, but I am confident that JR will reward Cruz & Nicks with new contracts.

BlueReign
10-23-2012, 03:25 PM
JR will lock him up. Not only is he a great player, he seems like a good person. He has everything the Giants need, quickness, solid hands and a BRAIN. He also doesn't seem like the type to take the Giants for everything they've got if it means they can keep Nicks too.

BlueReign
10-23-2012, 03:27 PM
Also, Rolle seems like the type who would restructure/take less money to remain a Giant.He is someone I want to see retire in Blue.

Flip Empty
10-23-2012, 03:49 PM
No more restructuring, Jesus. The cap situation is bad enough as it is.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 03:52 PM
No more restructuring, Jesus. The cap situation is bad enough as it is.

I don't know how else they could afford to sign both to long term contracts. But I also don't now what the CAP is for next season. I do believe it goes up in 2014.

Besides, I think Jesus' is geting long in the tooth and has lost a step

GiantWarfare
10-23-2012, 03:59 PM
"PAY DA MAN!" (Deion Sanders voice)

Flip Empty
10-23-2012, 04:02 PM
I don't know how else they could afford to sign both to long term contracts. But I also don't now what the CAP is for next season. I do believe it goes up in 2014.

Besides, I think Jesus' is geting long in the tooth and has lost a step
Haha, it may be worth taking the hit to let Jesus go.

As for contracts, yeah I can't see where the money is going to come from, either.

thomsoad
10-23-2012, 04:15 PM
Haha, it may be worth taking the hit to let Jesus go.

As for contracts, yeah I can't see where the money is going to come from, either.

Man... I really hope you dont get "crucified" for saying that! :D

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 04:20 PM

And here we go :popcorn:

ryan12
10-23-2012, 04:30 PM

dont start with this crap your gonna offend people

Cool Papa B.
10-23-2012, 04:32 PM
Class act.....true team player. Him, Nicks, JPP and Joseph should be here for a long time.

Cool Papa B.
10-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Also, Rolle seems like the type who would restructure/take less money to remain a Giant.He is someone I want to see retire in Blue.

Didn't Rolle restructure his contract once before? I doubt he'll do it again.

I can see Eli resturcturing his contract to make sure Cruz & Nicks stays.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Didn't Rolle restructure his contract once before? I doubt he'll do it again.

I can see Eli resturcturing his contract to make sure Cruz & Nicks stays.

Eli did last year

GameTime
10-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Eli did last year

yeah....he got more money...lol

(kidding)

TheAnalyst
10-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Ok, but I'm sure after this year he will cost more. I perfectly understand why we didnt do it, but I guarentee it will wind up costing the Giants more in the long run. Either way though, I say he is a must to re-sign. He is Eli's safety net, like Steve Smith was before he got injuried. And Toomer before that.

What happened to Smith anyway? Is he still in the NFL? Rams? I feel bad for him as a person. I hated he left us for the Eagles, but he was a stand up guy.

SweetZombieJesus
10-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Very surprised they haven't taken care of him already, like in before game 1. His price can only go up the longer they wait.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Ok, but I'm sure after this year he will cost more. I perfectly understand why we didnt do it, but I guarentee it will wind up costing the Giants more in the long run. Either way though, I say he is a must to re-sign. He is Eli's safety net, like Steve Smith was before he got injuried. And Toomer before that.

What happened to Smith anyway? Is he still in the NFL? Rams? I feel bad for him as a person. I hated he left us for the Eagles, but he was a stand up guy.

I agree, Reese should attempt an extension this season to save a few bucks. He will never let Cruz, or Nicks for that matter, get to UFA unless he doesn't want them.

Steve Smith is not on any team I think

TheAnalyst
10-23-2012, 05:12 PM
I agree, Reese should attempt an extension this season to save a few bucks. He will never let Cruz, or Nicks for that matter, get to UFA unless he doesn't want them.

Steve Smith is not on any team I think

Just looked it up. He is on the Rams. 11 catches for 114 yards for the year. Zero Tds.

RoanokeFan
10-23-2012, 05:25 PM
Just looked it up. He is on the Rams. 11 catches for 114 yards for the year. Zero Tds.

I stand corrected

Cool Papa B.
10-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Very surprised they haven't taken care of him already, like in before game 1. His price can only go up the longer they wait.

I'm not.

How many guys have have had 1 really good, knockout season, and then tank and go into mediocrity the next season. Or ends up have a career damaging injury and become non existant. It's like Parcells said "You got a guy who's a .350 hitter for 8 years, but then another guy hits .351 for 1 season and he expects to be paid like the guy hitting .350 for 8 years....." It's about consistancy. Good move by the Giants front office in not jumping and giving Cruz a contract after last season.

But now he's showing that he is the real deal. I would try and get a contract done just before the end of this season.

SweetZombieJesus
10-23-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm not.

How many guys have have had 1 really good, knockout season, and then tank and go into mediocrity the next season. Or ends up have a career damaging injury and become non existant. It's like Parcells said "You got a guy who's a .350 hitter for 8 years, but then another guy hits .351 for 1 season and he expects to be paid like the guy hitting .350 for 8 years....." It's about consistancy. Good move by the Giants front office in not jumping and giving Cruz a contract after last season.

But now he's showing that he is the real deal. I would try and get a contract done just before the end of this season.

The flip side is that the Giants, under Reese, have been notorious for locking guys up long term at bargain prices. Tuck would be a good example and so would Osi's contract that he kept whining about.

JJC7301
10-23-2012, 11:53 PM
I'd love to see Cruz and Nicks agree to take a little less each in order to stick around together for a long, long time. Not likely, but I'd love to see it.