PDA

View Full Version : It's a ways off, but do you let Tuck and Osi leave, and draft a DE?

flimflam
10-24-2012, 12:18 AM
Granted, I love my team as it is now, but we have t face the music at one point.

Tuck is awesome but he also benefited from having a future HOFer in Michael Strahan and a young Osi Umenyiora in his prime play along side him. I think Tuck is great, but let's face it, he is mercurial. He even said he tthough about retiring, and that last seaon wasn't fun at certain points. Tuck needs a lot of motivation, and he is very inconsistent.

Osi is a sack cause fumble master, but as we all know, he can't play the run. He would probably be better suited as a stand up OLB in a 3-4 than a 4-3 to be honest. That is probably how he'll end his career if he doesn't remain blue.

With that being said, Osi and Justin will want to be paid after this year. Osi wil be 31. Tuck will be 30 next year. Tuck might be better all around, but Osi might be more productive than Tuck in their later years. Reese has no qualms about making the hard decisions-letting Petigout, Gibril WIlson, Mario Manningham, BRandon Jacobs, etc go

While we might retain one of them, we also have to sign Cruz, Nicks, and JPP soon. We also have Justin Trattou, Adrian Tracy, and Adewale Ojomo in the wings.

In order to keep JPP, Cruz, and Nicks, I think we might have to let our awesome G-men Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora go. I think Tracy or Ojomo can take over OSi's role. I think Kiawinuka can take over Tuck's spot, and he is signed for 3 more years. Then we'll have the bank to retain Mr Cruz, and Mr. Nicks, which is imperative methinks. Then if he is the best player available, we draft the best defensive end on the board. There are some good ones, and there will be even a good one left to pick at pick 32.

Thoughts?

VBGiantsFan
10-24-2012, 12:23 AM
Ojomo, Tracy, and Trattou are not starters. Well lose Osi and have to restructure or release Tuck for cap room to sign Cruz. Drafting a DE would be a wise decision. We also have Kiwi who is an excellent end to replace either guy as well.

GoDeep80
10-24-2012, 12:30 AM
William Gholston or Devin Taylor. that is all.

Overdrive92
10-24-2012, 02:08 AM
Ojomo, Tracy, and Trattou are not starters. Well lose Osi and have to restructure or release Tuck for cap room to sign Cruz. Drafting a DE would be a wise decision. We also have Kiwi who is an excellent end to replace either guy as well.

I for one, believe in Ojomo. And I'd love to see what he can do in the regular season sometime.

People said the same thing about Cruz a few years ago. "He's just a pre-season wonder, nothing more". Ojomo looked brilliant in the pre-season, and while he still has a lot to show, I have a good feeling about this guy.

giantsfan420
10-24-2012, 03:08 AM
awesome sig overdrivve

Captain Chaos
10-24-2012, 04:40 AM
I would think that they will be seriously looking for JPP's bookend!

B-Red22
10-24-2012, 06:51 AM
Osi yes, I believe he is gone, Tuck it depends on the money he wants when the contract is up, if its anywhere close to too much I let him walk.

GMENAGAIN
10-24-2012, 06:56 AM
The difference between the two is that this is Osi's last year of his deal. He will not be resigned next year.

Tuck is signed through next season so I expect the Giants to force him to play out the rest of his deal. He won't be a FA until 2014.

brad
10-24-2012, 07:03 AM
There is not much doubt in my mind that Osi will leave the Giants after this year. Tuck, I think he may consider retiring again like he did last year. Both gave us great years and will be missed... but it is probably time to consider their replacements, even if we manage to keep one after this year. Ojomo might be one of those replacements.

I think Kiwi gives us the luxury of having a veteran who is not a significant drop off, and possibly an improvement over what Tuck and Osi have done this year. Having him will allow the Giants to draft a DE prospect and develop him rather than having to go after a high priced FA.

giantsfam04
10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
Manti Te'o I know it will never happen but a guy can dream.

Redeyejedi
10-24-2012, 07:19 AM
William Gholston or Devin Taylor. that is all. Both those guys project as 5 Techs in the NFL. Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, Cornelius Carradine are guys I could see. Ansah especially looks very promising.

Yes the Giants will draft a DE. Tuck I think may retire at the end of his contract unless he starts taking HGH now. His body is breaking down.

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 07:40 AM
I don't think Tuck is playing nearly as bad as some are making is sound. I could see them parting ways with Osi and Webster. It's just business. Both make a lot of money and they need to pay some younger players.

Toadofsteel
10-24-2012, 08:11 AM
Osi and Webster (so long as we get another corner for depth), and maybe even KP will be on the FA block. Tuck still has gas in the tank and hopefully will play better with his buddy Canty next to him.

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 08:16 AM
I like KP a lot but I could see him gone as well unless he doesn't ask for to much. He has a history of knee injuries and I think Hill is going to be a very good player.

stormblue
10-24-2012, 08:29 AM
they will do what ever is necessary to stay under the cap.
other than eli , the cap reigns supreme.

Crovaz
10-24-2012, 09:03 AM
I think next year, this team is going to look a lot different. The Giants know they need to get the young guys signed and taken care of and they're going to have to prioritize the vets. I love the team we're currently fielding but you can see some guys are just getting a little long in the tooth and there are some young and talented guys waiting in the wings.

I honestly can't see guys like Osi, Rolle, Canty, Webster and some others back, especially with the amount of money they're going to be owed. Expect to see a big shift in the next few years transitioning the old and expensive, with the younger guys.

FrankAE
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
The question will JPP be same force when they are gone. Right now he is a stud but not anchor, Tuck either performing of not is. Can JPP elevate his play consistintly as he's been doing, being the anchor

JB456
10-24-2012, 10:42 AM
The question will JPP be same force when they are gone. Right now he is a stud but not anchor, Tuck either performing of not is. Can JPP elevate his play consistintly as he's been doing, being the anchor

I don't think there is much of a question. JPP was the only one who was beating his man, was doubled teamed alot and still was getting pressure when the line was performing like poo the first few games of the season.

One thing that worries me about JPP was an article I read earlier in the season with quotes from JPP saying that he wasn't having as much fun this year as he was last year. I think the game that immeadiately followed that articles release was JPP's worst game. The problem with JPP won't be talent or ability, it might be keeping him motivated.

GMan-67
10-24-2012, 11:22 AM
umm last i checked Osi is in the last year of his deal, so there is no letting involved ... it's called Free Agency

Toadofsteel
10-24-2012, 11:27 AM
umm last i checked Osi is in the last year of his deal, so there is no letting involved ... it's called Free Agency

How is the title wrong? You're "letting" a player leave for free agency, as opposed to re-signing him.

flimflam
10-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Both those guys project as 5 Techs in the NFL. Damontre Moore, Dion Jordan, Ezekiel Ansah, Cornelius Carradine are guys I could see. Ansah especially looks very promising.

Yes the Giants will draft a DE. Tuck I think may retire at the end of his contract unless he starts taking HGH now. His body is breaking down.

Redeye, our DTs are 1 techniques right and our DEs are primarily 5 techs? It makes it hard for us because there are so many hybrid types that fit best in a 3-4. I am getting big into scouting and the draft but am not that well versed on all the terminologies and schemes.

What we are going to need is Bjoern Werner, so he can hang with Markus Kuhn. We could have some lethal path rushing German QB Jaegers on our team.

drewz
10-24-2012, 01:29 PM
you guys are insane, let Tuck go? what if JPP gets injured next year.. where is our depth?

ImElectric2
10-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Lol @ Tuck benefitting from Stra and Osi bc he isn't really good. That's absurd. He was great but now is mailing in his performance. That said, if he retires or gets released and we don't resign Osi then I think we move Kiwi back to DE, have Boley and Rivers as OLB, draft a DE and have Ojomo and Tracy as depth. Who knows about Tuck....maybe the he does have serious thoughts of retirement. Would actually really help us out in terms of money and production if he doesn't find his mojo and light a fire. We shall see I guess.

Overdrive92
10-24-2012, 06:49 PM
awesome sig overdrivve

Thanks.

Redeyejedi
10-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Redeye, our DTs are 1 techniques right and our DEs are primarily 5 techs? It makes it hard for us because there are so many hybrid types that fit best in a 3-4. I am getting big into scouting and the draft but am not that well versed on all the terminologies and schemes.

What we are going to need is Bjoern Werner, so he can hang with Markus Kuhn. We could have some lethal path rushing German QB Jaegers on our team. A 5 Technique is the term thats used to describe a 3-4 end. U shade the outside shoulder of the OT.

Redeyejedi
10-24-2012, 07:13 PM
you guys are insane, let Tuck go? what if JPP gets injured next year.. where is our depth?I think he may retire after his contract is over. I think they will take another end in this draft to bring along before he does. Its imperative that they keep at least 3 Starting ends on this team.

GFiP
10-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Tuck is one out best run stoppers, and Osi is the worst. Osi doesn't get consistent pressure either so he pretty much useless.

Kase-1
10-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Ive been one of the biggest Osi supporters on the MBs but this season so far has been the breaking point for me. His halfassed effort against the run and disgusting overpursuit leading to leaving his lanes WIIIIIIDE open so far has been a shot to the gut, yea he produces on paper but I would rather his 9 or 12 sacks be over 10+ games, not over a 4 game span.

Tuck on the other side of the spectrum is playing like a shadow of himself, maybe he's hiding another injury. Personally I say we David Diehl him, we pay him a fair amount, just enough to keep him happy and play him as a depth player til he retires, but still seeing a decent amount of snaps to keep his ego feeling fine

shocknaweny
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Umenyiora is as good as gone I assure you...as for Tuck I would like them to keep him but we shall see.

TuckandRolle
10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
Tuck is signed through next year and will take a small deal from us when this contract is up. Tracy has the skill set and speed to be a starter in the league and think he will develop into a great player. Ojomo is RAWWWWW and will be developed. I think Giants will wait on drafting a D End one more year so they can solidify their secondary. Webster is on the decline, we have Prince and Hosley, who is a bit undersized but I still love him. I think we will draft another cornerback with our first round pick, then rounds 2 and 3 focus on our offensive line, then fill some holes with the rest of the draft. Will Hill I believe will be our next Kenny Phillips, I believe the NYG organization has high hopes for him, and based on his performance in his first 4 games before his suspension...the fan base should be excited about the steal we got in him.

After the 2013 season I think we will focus on adding a new D End, depending on how Tracy and Ojomo turn out next year.

BParcells777
10-25-2012, 02:24 PM
How about letting our Giant Panda out of his cage- Ojomo before we go bringing in more talent

Ojomo might have a 3 sack game

blueNorange
10-25-2012, 03:37 PM
ojomo and tracy are great prospect to have and both have great speed off the edge, but still another DE is good to have

the giants mantra is you can never have enough pass rushers, and outside of JPP every giants DE(including kiwi) is 30 or older

myles2424
10-25-2012, 03:55 PM

How about we let Ojomo actually play before you say he's not a starter.....Cruz according to many around here wasn't to be taken seriously after his preseason game against the jets, but that seemed to have worked out for us...

JesseJames
10-25-2012, 05:27 PM
the topic of this thread is a good reason why I think the team needs to give a few reps to guys like Tracy and Ojomo in every game so we can find out whether or not we need to draft another DE, especially since its most likely we will lose Osi and the fact that Tuck seems to be losing some of his game or enthusiasm for it....

GreenZone
10-25-2012, 05:55 PM
This is the kind of garbage thread people come up with when things are going so well that there's no one to readily pounce on. It's so very hard for many to have such a good team and not have a way to apply their addiction to detraction.

So, instead of trashing a player openly, a cleverly disguised trashing takes place by thinking ahead into the next season when the assumption is these guys get dumped.

Why not look ahead to anything... such as when fans here finally appreciate what is going on right before their eyes? I'm wondering at what point that will happen with so many posters wanting to distinguish themselves and their "knowledge of the game" by dumping on anyone they can try and credibly get away with trashing.

BParcells777
10-25-2012, 06:28 PM
I feel to see how giving Ojomo and Tracey a few snaps counts as trashing

Tracey was one of our best performers last week..........the more you watch football the more realize change is inevitable or you wind up like Jacksonville, or Cleveland.......you must keep the new talent coming

The Notorious B.I.G BLUE
10-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Yeah it seems lije the Giants style to draft some DE's and let old veterans walk.

Rat_bastich
10-25-2012, 08:17 PM
Yeah it seems lije the Giants style to draft some DE's and let old veterans walk.

Kind of like the Steelers and their linebacker turnstyle when Cowhere was coach. Every time they let one go, they found a new good one. It was crazy. I used to question when they let guys like Kevin Greene and Greg Lloyd go but they found guys all the time.

JB456
10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
How about letting our Giant Panda out of his cage- Ojomo before we go bringing in more talent

Ojomo might have a 3 sack game

Agreed. I have been wondering why the Giants haven't given Ojomo one snap at defensive end. Why wouldn't you see what this kid has got and get him some game experience cause I am pretty certain that this is Osi's last year with the team. What the hell is the reason for not working him in here and there? If Ojomo gets a few sacks and some pressures it might push Tuck and Osi even more. What veteran wants to be outproduced by a rookie? Do you think they aren't playing him is the possibility it could cause discord among the vets? I just don't get it...

B&RWarrior
10-25-2012, 09:52 PM
Tuck is signed through next year and will take a small deal from us when this contract is up. Tracy has the skill set and speed to be a starter in the league and think he will develop into a great player. Ojomo is RAWWWWW and will be developed. I think Giants will wait on drafting a D End one more year so they can solidify their secondary. Webster is on the decline, we have Prince and Hosley, who is a bit undersized but I still love him. I think we will draft another cornerback with our first round pick, then rounds 2 and 3 focus on our offensive line, then fill some holes with the rest of the draft. Will Hill I believe will be our next Kenny Phillips, I believe the NYG organization has high hopes for him, and based on his performance in his first 4 games before his suspension...the fan base should be excited about the steal we got in him.

After the 2013 season I think we will focus on adding a new D End, depending on how Tracy and Ojomo turn out next year.

The talk of Webster's demise is premature IMO. I think the guy partied hard during the off season and came into camp unprepared and out of shape. Webster is still our best CB until Prince and Hosley show me other wise. I also think Tuck's decline has been overblown. His tackle numbers are good he just hasn't beem getting any sacks. JT still has something left in the tank.

blueNorange
10-25-2012, 11:11 PM
This is the kind of garbage thread people come up with when things are going so well that there's no one to readily pounce on. It's so very hard for many to have such a good team and not have a way to apply their addiction to detraction.

So, instead of trashing a player openly, a cleverly disguised trashing takes place by thinking ahead into the next season when the assumption is these guys get dumped.

Why not look ahead to anything... such as when fans here finally appreciate what is going on right before their eyes? I'm wondering at what point that will happen with so many posters wanting to distinguish themselves and their "knowledge of the game" by dumping on anyone they can try and credibly get away with trashing.osi and tuck have been awful all year and they make a lot of money

giants need to get younger at the DE position, nobody is trashing anybody. we're just stating facts.

JJC7301
10-26-2012, 01:26 AM
I keep Tuck around after this season only if he takes a pay cut. Kiwi replaces Osi, I like Ojomo and would like to see him get some playing time this year.

Would it really hurt them so much considering that the pass rush has been inconsistent and the run stopping so below average? Give the young man some snaps.

giantsfan420
10-26-2012, 01:43 AM
Agreed. I have been wondering why the Giants haven't given Ojomo one snap at defensive end. Why wouldn't you see what this kid has got and get him some game experience cause I am pretty certain that this is Osi's last year with the team. What the hell is the reason for not working him in here and there? If Ojomo gets a few sacks and some pressures it might push Tuck and Osi even more. What veteran wants to be outproduced by a rookie? Do you think they aren't playing him is the possibility it could cause discord among the vets? I just don't get it...

its a numbers game. who do u deactivate to activate ojomo...it took a lot of circumstances for tracy to get activated. he looked good too

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 01:47 AM
The Giants covet pass rushing defensive ends and until the Giants switch to a 4-3 defense or the culture/front office thinking changes they'll continue to draft one as often as they can. The object is to reload instead of rebuild. I think that is what you are seeing by way of Ojomo and Tracy who are most likely heir apparents plus whoever they draft next year.

I think Reese goes by best player available in each draft, however I think a pass rusher would be more value to him than say a corner or any other position.