PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning Is Presiding Over The Greatest Era of Giants' Football ...

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 07:49 AM
Eli Manning Is Presiding Over The Greatest Era of Giants' Football In The Team's Long, Storied History

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1190832 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/lupica-eli-royalty-blue-golden-age-giants-article-1.1190832)

Excerpt: "There has never been a better time to be a fan of the football Giants than right now.

Go back as far as you want, throw in the 1950s and early 60s, when the Giants were as big-city glamorous as any team we've ever had in any sports, even if they went to six championship games and only won one.

This is better.

Over the past five years, there has been no team more fun to root for, in any sport, than the Giants of Tom Coughlin, mostly the Giants of Eli Manning.

Giants fans know why: Because every Sunday has a chance to be like last Sunday. Every Sunday you know there is a chance for another comeback or another fourth quarter, every Sunday there is a chance that when Eli is up against it he can haul off and throw one to Victor Cruz the way he threw one to Mario Manningham in the last Super Bowl.

Heat fans might want to argue with you about this, especially if LeBron's first title is only the beginning for him and for his team. They might want to argue in San Francisco if their baseball team can somehow win their second World Series (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/resolve-buster-posey-give-san-francisco-giant-edge-article-1.1190757) in three seasons, win it after coming from 0-2 behind in a five-game series and 1-3 down against the defending champions of the world, might want to say that there is nothing better right now than being a fan of the baseball Giants.

Fans of the football Giants know better." Read more...

ashleymarie
10-24-2012, 09:08 AM
All eyes are on Eli. He is the one to get it done. Good article. I love being a NYGs fan. Love knowing that Eli gives us a better than average chance to win. Giants time is now. Our time is now.

I am already wondering who will be the next Giants' STAR in the SB. Can't be Tyree or Manningham.

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 09:39 AM
Let me tell you the difference between this era and the era of the late eighties.
Today, we all look at our schedule and we see a win here, a loss here, a couple wins here etc....
With the Phil Simms team, we would look at the schedule and see win, win, win, win, win,,,,,,,,,
We were simply a dominant football team. A team that everyone was afraid of. If we played anywhere near our potential, we were unbeatable by any team in the NFL.

I just think in pure dominance, that era was better.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 09:47 AM
Let me tell you the difference between this era and the era of the late eighties.
Today, we all look at our schedule and we see a win here, a loss here, a couple wins here etc....
With the Phil Simms team, we would look at the schedule and see win, win, win, win, win,,,,,,,,,
We were simply a dominant football team. A team that everyone was afraid of. If we played anywhere near our potential, we were unbeatable by any team in the NFL.

I agree ... with the possible exception of the 2008 team, the 1986 team had Super Bowl written all over it. It was a study in how to create a Super Bowl caliber team in a few years against division and conference specific opponents. And you *feared* to play the Giants (mostly because we wracked up the most QB knockouts in 86).

However, I was never as confident in any Giants as I am with this one to win a come-from-behind-last-minute win. In the 80s, you knew almost from the first quarter who was going to win and who was going to lose. You don't have that with this team. This team can win on any given Sunday in any given fourth quarter.

I've never seen a QB as poised as Eli is under those circumstances (and that includes Joe Montana).

fansince69
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM

Interesting thought...I really bought into the article when I read it....but after reading what you just wrote...you are right.... in a year like 86 ...teams were looking at us and worried if they could beat us....I think the difference comes down to parity and salary cap....there really arent truly dominant teams the way it used to be...so it really comes down to the difference in perception

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 09:56 AM
I agree ... with the possible exception of the 2008 team, the 1986 team had Super Bowl written all over it. It was a study in how to create a Super Bowl caliber team in a few years against division and conference specific opponents. And you *feared* to play the Giants (mostly because we wracked up the most QB knockouts in 86).

However, I was never as confident in any Giants as I am with this one to win a come-from-behind-last-minute win. In the 80s, you knew almost from the first quarter who was going to win and who was going to lose. You don't have that with this team. This team can win on any given Sunday in any given fourth quarter.

I've never seen a QB as poised as Eli is under those circumstances (and that includes Joe Montana).
I think we saw how thin that 2008 team really was. One, underperforming WR could be used as an excuse for our losing 5 of our last 6.
The reality is that the 2008 team was much more flawed than we thought.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 09:57 AM
btw morehead I got into an interesting.. yet short discussion about dynastys yesterday that I would have enjoyed your input

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 09:59 AM
Interesting thought...I really bought into the article when I read it....but after reading what you just wrote...you are right.... in a year like 86 ...teams were looking at us and worried if they could beat us....I think the difference comes down to parity and salary cap....there really arent truly dominant teams the way it used to be...so it really comes down to the difference in perception
I certainly agree regarding the impact of the salary cap and free agency. All teams nowadays are flawed, including ours. But our team is not dominant, at least not at the moment. Its a fun time to be a Giants fan, because our team is good, dynamic, and capable of beating anyone. But unfortunately, we are capable of losing to most anyone as well.

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
btw morehead I got into an interesting.. yet short discussion about dynastys yesterday that I would have enjoyed your input
Hahaha!!!
I'm old school when it comes to dynasties. I think sports dynasties need to be over an extended period of time. Like almost everything else however, the modern world seems to be lowering the standards of even that.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I certainly agree regarding the impact of the salary cap and free agency. All teams nowadays are flawed, including ours. But our team is not dominant, at least not at the moment. Its a fun time to be a Giants fan, because our team is good, dynamic, and capable of beating anyone. But unfortunately, we are capable of losing to most anyone as well.

hence the phrase" any given Sunday"
honestly was not quite as prominent back before this era....did teams lose game they should win? of course....but it was not nearly as prevalent as it is today

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 10:02 AM
I think we saw how thin that 2008 team really was. One, underperforming WR could be used as an excuse for our losing 5 of our last 6.
The reality is that the 2008 team was much more flawed than we thought.

I disagree entirely with that.

The 2008 team was the most balanced well rounded Giants team in its history within the Super Bowl era. Of the last 4 games (we cliched a playoff berth in November and the Division in the first week of December) we won the only one that mattered (#1 seed against the eventual #2 seed Panthers). And that was after Plax shot himself.

The playoffs unfortunately were a different story. Eli had a horrible day and KG refused to go away from him even though we had a terrific run game that year.

Nothing thin about that team (as time has proven).

P.S. - We lost 4 of our last 5 (including the playoffs) in 2008 (not 5 of 6) ... we only lost 1 other game early on that season (trap game against the Browns) finishing with a 12-4 record. We absolutely demolished everyone in between.

gumby74
10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
parity and salary cap. But it also makes the Patriots, Steelers and Colts organisations look really really good being able to succeed in such an era. We've won 2 SBs, but we've been very inconsistent. Those teams have been as close to dominant as you can be in this era. If you were to draw a Parallel to any team of this era, it'd be to the forementioned 3.

nhpgiantsfan
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM

In the Simms 14 years with the team, the Giants hd 5 losing seasons, and 7 playoff appearances. So far in Eli's 9 year career they have 1 losing season and 4 playoff appearances. With probably 6 real good years left, Eli's Giants are gonna surpass the Simms era's team as the most successful. And as far as being a scary dominant team in that era. There were only three years in Phil's career where the team was that dominant. 1986, 1989, 1990. And as far as playing up to their potential. This team has shown time and again that when they play to their potential, that they are the best team in football.

Like beating the undefeated Patriots in 2007. Beating the 15-1 Packers with the NFL MVP at QB, and all of the other road playoff games they have one. Teams are definately more afraid of Eli Manning than they ever were of Phil Simms. And I am not knocking that team. The 89 and 90 Giants are probably my favorite team of all time.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Hahaha!!!
I'm old school when it comes to dynasties. I think sports dynasties need to be over an extended period of time. Like almost everything else however, the modern world seems to be lowering the standards of even that.

I am pretty sure you and I agree on this...if you would like to read the discussion(cause I know this is a subject you like to debate lol) its on page 3 of the threads...it called "what Ive learned about this forum".....it starts on post 5 and then continues on the last page...id be interested in your take

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 10:17 AM
In the Simms 14 years with the team, the Giants hd 5 losing seasons, and 7 playoff appearances. So far in Eli's 9 year career they have 1 losing season and 4 playoff appearances. With probably 6 real good years left, Eli's Giants are gonna surpass the Simms era's team as the most successful. And as far as being a scary dominant team in that era. There were only three years in Phil's career where the team was that dominant. 1986, 1989, 1990. And as far as playing up to their potential. This team has shown time and again that when they play to their potential, that they are the best team in football.

Like beating the undefeated Patriots in 2007. Beating the 15-1 Packers with the NFL MVP at QB, and all of the other road playoff games they have one. Teams are definately more afraid of Eli Manning than they ever were of Phil Simms. And I am not knocking that team. The 89 and 90 Giants are probably my favorite team of all time.

Mmm you forgot 85 and 88. We didn't make the playoffs in 88 but we had a strong team (much stronger than the team that missed the playoffs in 2010 with a 10-6 record).

Under Eli we've only had two really dominant years (ironically, neither of them were the SB years) ... 2005 and 2008 (and possibly this year). 2006 we squeaked into the playoffs (had no business being there) and 2007 and 2011 were great late runs but very mediocre regular seasons.

Both eras had their own distinctive feels about them .... totally different types of teams. But as far as QBs go, Eli is heads and tails above Simms (and I loved Simms).

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:19 AM

I agree with everything you have said....but honestly even though this team (under manning)wins consistently.....it is not really a dominant team...both years we won..we squeaked into the playoffs and I promise the only ones in the world that had any faith were us fans and the Giants team....we do not scare anyone...and yes teams fear manning and maybe didn't fear Simms....they feared us as a team.....that is not really true today

jomo
10-24-2012, 10:20 AM

I just think in pure dominance, that era was better.The big difference might be in parity today versus the 80's. The salary cap has made it much more difficult to sustain brilliance. We didn't dominate the other great teams back then either such as the 49ers and Skins. They were slugfests.

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 10:21 AM

I'm not talking about all the seasons that Phil was here. I'm talking about 86-90. That was the best Giants team ever over 5 years.

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 10:23 AM
I am pretty sure you and I agree on this...if you would like to read the discussion(cause I know this is a subject you like to debate lol) its on page 3 of the threads...it called "what Ive learned about this forum".....it starts on post 5 and then continues on the last page...id be interested in your take
Unfortunately, I have to go see customers for the rest of the day so I can't contribute further today. (as much as I love a good debate).
I'll leave this thread to all of you fine people.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 10:24 AM
The big difference might be in parity today versus the 80's. The salary cap has made it much more difficult to sustain brilliance. We didn't dominate the other great teams back then either such as the 49ers and Skins. They were slugfests.

Oh we beat the piss out of those teams on occasion (and in the biggest spots too).

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM
I'm not talking about all the seasons that Phil was here. I'm talking about 86-90. That was the best Giants team ever over 5 years.

I would add the 85 team to that group...it was basically the same team as 86

nhpgiantsfan
10-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I agree with everything you have said....but honestly even though this team (under manning)wins consistently.....it is not really a dominant team...both years we won..we squeaked into the playoffs and I promise the only ones in the world that had any faith were us fans and the Giants team....we do not scare anyone...and yes teams fear manning and maybe didn't fear Simms....they feared us as a team.....that is not really true today

Totally agree with your point. I wasn't calling this team dominant, I was more trying to defent that that team wasn't that dominant. I really don't think any NFL team fears another team. But I will say this, teams definately fear this team when it comes down to the last few minutes of the game. It was a long time ago but I just don't remember Phil Simms jogging onto the field with 2 minutes left in the game and the team needing a score, to the announcers saying stuff like " Here comes the best 2 minute QB in the game, let's see if he can continue his mastery" or other stuff like that.

CowboysSuck
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Who cares. Better than, more dominant than, worse now, almost as good ....w.e.

I'm gonna enjoy me some TC and Eli for the moment and hopefully get to witness another SB out of this bunch

Laurah1275
10-24-2012, 10:51 AM
http://youtu.be/ki-w4KYpnuw

TheAnalyst
10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I love this era of Giants football, even though I sometimes hate the playcalling on both sides of the ball, think TC is a bad game clock manager, and think Eli is goofy as heck. I wouldnt trade it to be a fan of any other team. Enjoy this right now young fans, cause it isnt always this good. I came into Giants fandom at a great time, the 80s, and then had a long time of absolute putrid play. Now we are back on top but it wont last forever.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:59 AM
Totally agree with your point. I wasn't calling this team dominant, I was more trying to defent that that team wasn't that dominant. I really don't think any NFL team fears another team. But I will say this, teams definately fear this team when it comes down to the last few minutes of the game. It was a long time ago but I just don't remember Phil Simms jogging onto the field with 2 minutes left in the game and the team needing a score, to the announcers saying stuff like " Here comes the best 2 minute QB in the game, let's see if he can continue his mastery" or other stuff like that.

actually if you want to look it up..not sure where but for some reason I remember this....the Giants were the best team in the 3rd quarter in 86...super bowl ...down 10-9 at halftime...end of 3rd quarter game over...think about it.they never had to come from behind....and honestly I remember Simms on many occasions taking the team down the field put the team in a position to win only to have a field goal missed.........he wasn't eli but he was a very good 2 minute QB....but honestly if you don't think other teams/fans looked at their schedules in the late 80's and thought oh damn we have the giants.....

I am not saying teams/fans dont fear us now but its not the same fear

bigblue58
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Eli Manning Is Presiding Over The Greatest Era of Giants' Football In The Team's Long, Storied History

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1190832 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants/lupica-eli-royalty-blue-golden-age-giants-article-1.1190832)

Excerpt: "There has never been a better time to be a fan of the football Giants than right now.

Go back as far as you want, throw in the 1950s and early 60s, when the Giants were as big-city glamorous as any team we've ever had in any sports, even if they went to six championship games and only won one.

This is better.

Over the past five years, there has been no team more fun to root for, in any sport, than the Giants of Tom Coughlin, mostly the Giants of Eli Manning.

Giants fans know why: Because every Sunday has a chance to be like last Sunday. Every Sunday you know there is a chance for another comeback or another fourth quarter, every Sunday there is a chance that when Eli is up against it he can haul off and throw one to Victor Cruz the way he threw one to Mario Manningham in the last Super Bowl.

Heat fans might want to argue with you about this, especially if LeBron's first title is only the beginning for him and for his team. They might want to argue in San Francisco if their baseball team can somehow win their second World Series (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/resolve-buster-posey-give-san-francisco-giant-edge-article-1.1190757) in three seasons, win it after coming from 0-2 behind in a five-game series and 1-3 down against the defending champions of the world, might want to say that there is nothing better right now than being a fan of the baseball Giants.

Fans of the football Giants know better." Read more...

I'd like to thank Eli for justifying all my thousands of pro Eli posts and arguments over the years, when most people here wanted to hit the rewind button on history and have Phillip Rivers instead!

fansince69
10-24-2012, 11:49 AM
I'd like to thank Eli for justifying all my thousands of pro Eli posts and arguments over the years, when most people here wanted to hit the rewind button on history and have Phillip Rivers instead!

I can honestly say I never wanted Rivers...I was very happy with Eli and always knew he was going to be a good QB in this league...although I have to admit he exceeded my expectations and then some...I honestly did not know he would turn out to be this

VegasGmen
10-24-2012, 12:42 PM
Hate to paraphrase the Herd but he made a good point today. He says that the Giants are the best team in football today because their "best" is better than any other teams "best". It was witnessed when the Giants destroyed SF.

Toadofsteel
10-24-2012, 12:55 PM
http://youtu.be/ki-w4KYpnuw

That clip always made me smile lol...

jakegibbs
10-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Only problem was they only won once a blow out win against the Bears I think but they had the talent & coaching back then for sure. Tom Landry & Vince Lombardi as D & O coordinators were a tough nut to crack. Oh the Good Ole Days