PDA

View Full Version : Step Aside Aaron, Tom, and Drew - Eli Manning Is The League's Best Quarterback

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 07:52 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...vfHMy67k3VzZjO (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/step_aside_aaron_quarterback_and_8GRF0WqSvfHMy67k3 VzZjO)

Excerpt: "By now, calling Eli Manning elite is like calling the late George Steinbrenner bossy, or Leona Helmsley the Queen of Mean. No need to insult our intelligence.

It is time to crown Eli Manning the King.

King Eli.

The King of NFL Quarterbacks.

If you are talking solely about pinpoint accuracy, then Aaron Rodgers has to be your man. Rodgers can sling it better than anyone and has seamlessly filled the giant shoes of Brett Favre. Cheeseheads will be quick to remind anyone with a New York bias that their A-Rod has far better mobility than King Eli as well. Fair enough.

Tom Brady, with his three rings (five if King Eli weren’t standing in his way), and Drew Brees, a record-breaking machine, deserve to be in any conversation. Gym rats with golden arms and superior leadership skills. And some precincts might vote for Peyton Manning, shaking off the rust the way he is following the four neck surgeries and a year away. Ben Roethlisberger, with his two rings, remains elite. Matt Ryan is making his elite move. Andrew Luck and RGIII are tomorrow’s elite.

Here’s how I judge them:" Read more...

fansince69
10-24-2012, 08:02 AM
"We appreciated Phil Simms more after he was gone.

Let’s appreciate King Eli while he’s here."

I have said this exact thing many times

Marvelousmik
10-24-2012, 08:06 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giant...vfHMy67k3VzZjO (http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/step_aside_aaron_quarterback_and_8GRF0WqSvfHMy67k3 VzZjO)

Excerpt: "By now, calling Eli Manning elite is like calling the late George Steinbrenner bossy, or Leona Helmsley the Queen of Mean. No need to insult our intelligence.

King Eli.

If you are talking solely about pinpoint accuracy, then Aaron Rodgers has to be your man. Rodgers can sling it better than anyone and has seamlessly filled the giant shoes of Brett Favre. Cheeseheads will be quick to remind anyone with a New York bias that their A-Rod has far better mobility than King Eli as well. Fair enough.

Tom Brady, with his three rings (five if King Eli weren’t standing in his way), and Drew Brees, a record-breaking machine, deserve to be in any conversation. Gym rats with golden arms and superior leadership skills. And some precincts might vote for Peyton Manning, shaking off the rust the way he is following the four neck surgeries and a year away. Ben Roethlisberger, with his two rings, remains elite. Matt Ryan is making his elite move. Andrew Luck and RGIII are tomorrow’s elite.

this is a very good article with great points. I still think brady and rodgers are a head of Eli but I could understand why you could make the case for Eli being number 1.

EliDaMANning
10-24-2012, 08:54 AM
I know some Giants fans still have a hard time putting him as #1, but if/when he wins this year there will be no doubt left.

Superbowl
10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
LONG LIVE THE KING!

Marvelousmik
10-24-2012, 08:59 AM
I know some Giants fans still have a hard time putting him as #1, but if/when he wins this year there will be no doubt left.

+1 If he wins again then there is no choice but to put him as 1.

stormblue
10-24-2012, 09:09 AM
who the best QB in the league is , is a debatable matter of opinion.
what's not debatable is the fact that he is real good and has served
the giants very well.
the time will come when Eli is gone and you younger fans will feel
the anguish of not having a viable replacement.like us older fans
had no-one between fran and phil and between phil and eli.

enjoy him while we can , you have no idea how good we have it right now.

jomo
10-24-2012, 09:12 AM
That he is now legitimately in the discussion for "best in the league" establishes him as a truly rare talent.
.........and when you look at the list, one can't deny that he belongs there.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 09:52 AM
For the same reason Joe Montana was my #1 ranked QB for decades, Eli has supplanted him.

Stats, presence, mechanics and media savvy are all well and good but you simply cannot replace consistent clutch performances.

Joe Cool has been replaced by Eli Money.

gumby74
10-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Eli's been amazing the past couple years. I'm just enjoying the ride.

GameTime
10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
in some aspects he is in others he isnt. But the fact that the Elite thing is now history and he is even in the conversation of the best in the NFL is all right by me.

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 10:03 AM
this is a very good article with great points. I still think brady and rodgers are a head of Eli but I could understand why you could make the case for Eli being number 1.
Right now, one could make an argument that Peyton is still the best QB in the league. I still have Eli at #5 behind the usual 4.
Its much closer than it used to be though. Eli is definitely in the same discussion with the other 4.

EliDaMANning
10-24-2012, 10:04 AM
For the same reason Joe Montana was my #1 ranked QB for decades, Eli has supplanted him.

Stats, presence, mechanics and media savvy are all well and good but you simply cannot replace consistent clutch performances.

Joe Cool has been replaced by Eli Money.4>2 but it's still early. At this pace Eli can win a few more. They have a better defense than offensive powerhouses in the NFC and a much better offense than the 9ers. The Giants are built to contend for a while now.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 10:06 AM
Right now, one could make an argument that Peyton is still the best QB in the league. I still have Eli at #5 behind the usual 4.
Its much closer than it used to be though. Eli is definitely in the same discussion with the other 4.

Depends how you define "best".

Eli has proven (even with just this year as a measuring stick) that he's more clutch than Peyton or any other current QB.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 10:10 AM
4>2 but it's still early. At this pace Eli can win a few more. They have a better defense than offensive powerhouses in the NFC and a much better offense than the 9ers. The Giants are built to contend for a while now.

True but of those 4, only 2 were of the same caliber as Eli's and Montana had a team with 7 HoFers on it. We had Michael Strahan for one of those (and presumably Eli) so far.

Also pre-FA vs. post-FA eras ... much harder these days to string together multiple SBs with the same team (one of the reasons I think Big Ben is among today's elite over Rodgers and Brees (thus far)).

gumby74
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
Between Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Brady, Eli, and Ben one can make a valid case that any of those 6 are the best.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Between Rodgers, Brees, Peyton, Brady, Eli, and Ben one can make a valid case that any of those 6 are the best.

Certainly within the same tier of QB (in their own styles of course).

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 10:27 AM
That he is now legitimately in the discussion for "best in the league" establishes him as a truly rare talent. .........and when you look at the list, one can't deny that he belongs there. +1

EliDaMANning
10-24-2012, 10:48 AM
True but of those 4, only 2 were of the same caliber as Eli's and Montana had a team with 7 HoFers on it. We had Michael Strahan for one of those (and presumably Eli) so far.

Also pre-FA vs. post-FA eras ... much harder these days to string together multiple SBs with the same team (one of the reasons I think Big Ben is among today's elite over Rodgers and Brees (thus far)).I do believe he is better than Montana. Montana's teams were loaded so he better have won those SB. But we would have a hard time convincing anyone Eli is better because he has those 4 rings. I think 1 more for Eli certainly should propel him above Montana and Brady though.

A SB this year should easily put him in the discussion. After that it's all subjective.

Marvelousmik
10-24-2012, 10:55 AM

In my head it looks something like

brady
rodgers
peyton
Eli
Brees

I think him and peyton are almost the same right now

fansince69
10-24-2012, 11:06 AM

brady
rodgers
peyton
Eli
Brees

If we are talking career numbers he is not quite there.....if we are talking right his minute.....guys like brees and rodgers put up better numbers....eli and brady are about equal in that sense( fantasy numbers will back these)

but If I had to win one game ill take eli....if I need one drive ill take Eli

this is how I see this

giantsfan420
10-24-2012, 11:25 AM

Joe Cool has been replaced by Eli Money.
id say eli is picking up where montana left off...both had games early in their careers during times of struggle where they showed the ability to take over a game and make a tremendous comeback that sgnaled to the team that the qb was for real. now im not gonna sit here and say eli has always been this great, he hasnt he's had some rough patches. but i do feel eli had always had this inside him and that he was capable of reaching the levels he has now...i sgree with mike greenburg he said it perfect, "if u r picking a qb to win a game, eli is the best in the league and maybe best all time in clutchness"

fansince69
10-24-2012, 11:31 AM
id say eli is picking up where montana left off...both had games early in their careers during times of struggle where they showed the ability to take over a game and make a tremendous comeback that sgnaled to the team that the qb was for real. now im not gonna sit here and say eli has always been this great, he hasnt he's had some rough patches. but i do feel eli had always had this inside him and that he was capable of reaching the levels he has now...i sgree with mike greenburg he said it perfect, "if u r picking a qb to win a game, eli is the best in the league and maybe best all time in clutchness"

is that a word? lol....if it isn't it should be........in the dictionary...it should say clutchness and have a pic of Eli

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 11:46 AM

brady
rodgers
peyton
Eli
Brees

No way I put Rodgers ahead of Eli simply because he hasn't reached Eli's resume yet. 2 SB MVPs > 1

For the same reason, I'd give the edge to Eli over Peyton. One has gaudier stats, but Eli has the rings with clutch performances to earn them.

Yes, I'm a total Eli homer so this is far from objective :D

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 11:47 AM

I can get behind that.

is that a word? lol....if it isn't it should be........in the dictionary...it should say clutchness and have a pic of Eli

Absolutely. :)

GMan-67
10-24-2012, 12:02 PM
i dont really love these debates, b/c more than football always gets involved

but it's really down to Rodgers, Brees and Eli ... Tom is showing his age now and, well, so is Peyton .... Ben is a small click behind ... he's just not generating the points right now

Down-lifer
10-24-2012, 12:21 PM

I have said this exact thing many timesabsolutely! I agree with the entire article.

jimsgints
10-24-2012, 04:38 PM

I have said this exact thing many times Very good point!

Mistanihan
10-24-2012, 05:16 PM
ALRIGHT ELI!!

ELI_HOF_NYG
10-24-2012, 06:30 PM

King Eli.

all hail the king!

appodictic
10-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Drew Brees is nothing. A one hit wonder. Breaking his own passing records means nothing. Before Brady this guy named Drew Bledsoe was the QB. In his career he broke many passin records. That did not make him good. It just meant he passed alot.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Drew Brees is nothing. A one hit wonder. Breaking his own passing records means nothing. Before Brady this guy named Drew Bledsoe was the QB. In his career he broke many passin records. That did not make him good. It just meant he passed alot.

what?what records did Drew Bledsoe set?..I'm really confused by this post...please explain

appodictic
10-24-2012, 10:34 PM
what?what records did Drew Bledsoe set?..I'm really confused by this post...please explain

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_career_300-yard_passing_games_by_NFL_quarterbacks

Well he had quite a large number of 300 yard + games. Broke recrods for pass attempts, pass completions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Bledsoe

When Bledsoe retired in April 2007, he left fifth in NFL history in pass attempts (6,717) and completions (3,839), seventh in passing yards (44,611), and 13th in touchdown passes (251).

In July of 2012, Bledsoe was named the thirtieth greatest quarterback of the NFL's post-merger era, according to Football Nation.[17]

# In 2002, his first season in Buffalo, he set single season records for yards, attempts, completions on an offense that had 7 other franchise records.
# In 1998, he directed the Patriots to the playoffs for the fourth time in six seasons.
# In 1994, he set Patriots franchise single-season passing records for attempts (691), completions (400) and yards
In other words he passed alot. But so what.

BParcells777
10-24-2012, 10:43 PM
I hope he can maintain his recent surge in accuracy and knowing when to throw it away..........every once and a while he throws an INT that just makes you shake your head

Morehead State
10-24-2012, 11:34 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Most_career_300-yard_passing_games_by_NFL_quarterbacks

Well he had quite a large number of 300 yard + games. Broke recrods for pass attempts, pass completions.

When Bledsoe retired in April 2007, he left fifth in NFL history in pass attempts (6,717) and completions (3,839), seventh in passing yards (44,611), and 13th in touchdown passes (251).

In July of 2012, Bledsoe was named the thirtieth greatest quarterback of the NFL's post-merger era, according to Football Nation.[17]

# In 2002, his first season in Buffalo, he set single season records for yards, attempts, completions on an offense that had 7 other franchise records.
# In 1998, he directed the Patriots to the playoffs for the fourth time in six seasons.
# In 1994, he set Patriots franchise single-season passing records for attempts (691), completions (400) and yards
Brees is flat great. Your position is as silly as a human being can be.

Captain Chaos
10-25-2012, 04:18 AM
Thats this week, lets see what happens what happens this week...

Kruunch
10-25-2012, 08:43 AM

Vinny Testaverde set passing records too as well as having more stats than Bledsoe.

I don't think anyone is going to confuse him for Drew Brees either.

GCGiant
10-25-2012, 08:49 AM
I wish I could buy Brees for what he is worth and sell him for what he thinks he's worth.

I don't understand this fascination with needing to know who the best is. When talking about active players, I could give you a list of players who have enjoyed that position over the past, say....8 years. I believe that when Eli first started, it was a toss-up between Peyton and Tom, with Tom having the edge with rings. Since that time, we have had Ben, Vick, Romo, Rivers, Brees, and Rodgers all have their day in the sun. It is a never-ending and always changing thing.

It is more appropriate to rank guys who have already finished their careers if this type of action is indeed necessary.