PDA

View Full Version : Ross Tucker, Sirius Opening Drive on Victor Cruz.....

FBomb
10-24-2012, 09:43 AM
Says Cruz should sit until he gets a new contract. Your thoughts?

My thought is I'd like to punch him in his face!!!

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 09:48 AM
I think Victor haa taken the right approach and will be rewarded . Not a big fan of players holding out

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 09:50 AM
How does anyone refuse to honor their contract. and think that's going to be helpful?

FBomb
10-24-2012, 09:52 AM
Tim Brown, former Pro Bowl WR for the Raiders, completely disagrees with him and goes on to say holding out could hurt getting him the money he deserves on the market and that all of his endorsement deals would be in jeapordy. O

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 09:53 AM
Says Cruz should sit until he gets a new contract. Your thoughts?

My thought is I'd like to punch him in his face!!!

I think Ross Tucker is an amateur radio hack trying desperately to get people to call in.

I liked it better when he was sincere and dopey. Now he's just dopey.

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 09:55 AM
Tim Brown, former Pro Bowl WR for the Raiders, completely disagrees with him and goes on to say holding out could hurt getting him the money he deserves on the market and that all of his endorsement deals would be in jeapordy. O

He's right if only from the standpoint of potentially losing out on the NY Tri-State market.

The endorsements he currently gets and will get in this market will far outweigh the few more dollars he might be able to squeeze out of a contract with another team. If his agent is smart, he's telling VC that.

gumby74
10-24-2012, 09:56 AM
If I were Cruz playing football? I'd milk the situation for what it's worth. Fact is, his career could end the next game. I'm loving the fact that he's a trooper, but playing honorable WR gets him nowhere in life.

NASCARBLITZ
10-24-2012, 09:56 AM
he is a hack he always doubts the giants whenever i call in to talk to him...hes a fake brian baldinger even sounds like him a lil

NASCARBLITZ
10-24-2012, 09:57 AM
ur talkin about a guy in ross tucker that thinks the bears are best team in nfl.lmao

miked1958
10-24-2012, 09:58 AM
[QUOTE=RoanokeFan;548817]Hiw does anyone refuse to honor their contract. and think that's going to be helpful?[/QUOTELots of guys do. however Cruz has gone on record and has said he will never do that. he said he will honor the terms of his current deal. However he would also like to be locked up to a long term deal prior to it running out and i think he has earned that. The Giants FO would be foolish to let this go to the end and risk him testing the FA Market. He will be snapped up in a second if it comes to that. Also it benefits the Gmen to make him an offer which he will most likely accept if decent rather then getting into a bidding war with other teams and have to overpay to keep him which will not allow us to sign other FAs.

GameTime
10-24-2012, 10:00 AM
I bet if Cruz wasnt making endorsment money, of which I dont now how much, but probably pretty damn good with the book deal too he may be sitting just for the injury factor. But he is making big bucks outside of football right now and if he was smart it is probably garaunteed.

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 10:01 AM
If I were Cruz playing football? I'd milk the situation for what it's worth. Fact is, his career could end the next game. I'm loving the fact that he's a trooper, but playing honorable WR gets him nowhere in life.

Really? You think he should refuse to play?

miked1958
10-24-2012, 10:05 AM
How does anyone refuse to honor their contract. and think that's going to be helpful?

Your comment makes me laugh because it reminds me of the movie Mr. Deeds when he first came to NY and the Star QB walks in and asks for more money. He says he has broken all kinds of records and feels he is worth more dollars. Adam Sandler askes him if he played crappy and didnt live up to the contract would it be okay if we paid you less? The QB goes NO WAY MAN. Deeds says okay then... SHUTUP. the QB then gets nasty and Deeds punches him and knocks him on his butt. he says you went down like a sack of potatos pal.. THen he fires him and tells him he can go and sign with whoever he wants. ...

It may not be exactly how the scene went but it was funny and makes me think of all these guys who do pretty much the same thing in the NFL today

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 10:07 AM
I bet if Cruz wasnt making endorsment money, of which I dont now how much, but probably pretty damn good with the book deal too he may be sitting just for the injury factor. But he is making big bucks outside of football right now and if he was smart it is probably garaunteed. Cruz is becoming second, in terms of importance to the team, to Eli. I don't see Reese jerking him around

Buddy333
I goes both ways though. If a player gets injured the team says goodbye. I don't blame here guys for wanting to get paid.

miked1958
I was a little off on the way it went but here it is...LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihpe07LoOx0

fizzlesticks
10-24-2012, 10:08 AM
The same way any GM in the league refuse to honor contracts, they mean nothing in the NFL. I'm not saying he should do it now but if ends up not getting paid big by next season I hope he holds out.

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 10:09 AM
The later the player is at home and his father calls Deeds to make his so apologize. It's the movies though. I real life the player and everyone around him want to see the money.

gumby74
10-24-2012, 10:11 AM
Really? You think he should refuse to play?

Absolutely. That's not what I want as a fan, but if I were in his shoes? I'd get as much money as could out of it.

miked1958
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
The later the player is at home and his father calls Deeds to make his so apologize. It's the movies though. I real life the player and everyone around him want to see the money.Yes lol. I just posted a Link to the video of it above... funny.. but you are right though about what you said but its unfair... if they dont play to their potential due to injury or whatever then dont expect to see a paycut

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 10:12 AM
I goes both ways though. If a player gets injured the team says goodbye. I don't blame here guys for wanting to get paid. That's not the question the question is should Cruz refuse to play

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 10:14 AM
The same way any GM in the league refuse to honor contracts, they mean nothing in the NFL. I'm not saying he should do it now but if ends up not getting paid big by next season I hope he holds out. How do general managers fail to honor a contract?

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 10:15 AM
I don't think he sits and I don't think the Giants are going to let him walk. I say they get a deal done soon. It seems like all the talk today is about Cruz and a new contract. The Giants will do something soon I think because its the right thing to do.

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 10:20 AM
I don't think he sits and I don't think the Giants are going to let him walk. I say they get a deal done soon. It seems like all the talk today is about Cruz and a new contract. The Giants will do something soon I think because its the right thing to do.

I agree with you

GMENAGAIN
10-24-2012, 10:25 AM

It's helpful to the player if : (a) the player is a star in the prime of his career; and (2) the player has one year left on his current deal before he becomes an unrestricted free agent. The team is over a barrel at that point and usually ponies up.

Cruz is a superstar in his prime, but will only be a restricted FA at the end of this season, meaning that the Giants will most likely be able to keep him around next year for about $2M. Because of that, I don't think that it makes a lot of sense for Cruz to do anything but play during this season. When this season ends, though, I don't expect to see him again until he has a new deal . . . .

manning to shockey
10-24-2012, 10:36 AM
Right now Cruz has the fans behind him and if he gets shortchanged the media and fans will be all over the Giants organization, but if Cruz refuses to play the fans will no doubt tear him a new one.

Case in point - Cruz's posts on Facebook the day after the Giants lost to the Cowboys on opening day. The fans ripped into him for his drops in that game, Cruz understands that you have to play the game if you want to get paid.

GIANTSED101
10-24-2012, 10:43 AM
Based on what Cruz has been saying and the way he carries himself I honestly believe he's going to let it take care of itself. If he gets the contract situation taken care of right now or by the end of the season great if not then they'll just go from there. It seems like he feels as though he's loyal to the Giants since they're the ones who gave him his shot. Like one of the other posters said, Cruz is next after Eli as far as importance goes to the team. I love Nicks but he just doesn't seem to stay healthy. I know there's a risk with injuries and so forth but sometimes you just need to go out there and do your job knowing that in the end you're going to get what you're worth. If it's not the Giants than it'll be someone else. Out of all of the receivers the Giants have had over the past decade I can confidently say Cruz has to be one of if not the best out of the bunch. That includes Plax and Toomer. I'm talking talent wise and not numbers here for those of you who are number people.

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 10:58 AM
Says Cruz should sit until he gets a new contract. Your thoughts? My thought is I'd like to punch him in his face!!! I didn't hear the conversation but, as written here, Tucker is suggesting Cruz not play another snap until he has a new contract.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 11:28 AM
I didn't hear the conversation but, as written here, Tucker is suggesting Cruz not play another snap until he has a new contract.

why don't we add a new perspective and see what ross tucker thinks...if a players wants to sit if hes not getting paid what he thinks is fair....then the owners have a right to stop paying players that are not earning their contracts....I mean right in middle of season just stop paying them.....it would be the same thing....

if anyone deserves more money it is cruz....but stopping play is not how to get it

the giants will take care of cruz...i have no doubt he just needs to be patient and play

drewz
10-24-2012, 11:29 AM
I was listening to it and Ross Tucker was saying that he should hold out because right now he's worth about 20 million guaranteed. If he gets injured, he's worth nothing.. so he should hold out as soon as next week to get a new deal.

First off, Jerry Reese isn't gonna overpay for someone that's replaceable.. anyone that's paid attention to him over the last few years know this. How many people thought Steve Smith and Kevin Boss were a critical part of the Giants offense when Reese let them walk?

Some people are saying that Cruz should get 10+ million a year, I'm sorry.. I just don't think he's worth that much to the Giants, especially with the depth we have. The best case scenario for any Giants fan is that Reese offers Cruz a fair deal, Cruz accepts knowing that he's playing on a Super Bowl contending team with an MVP Quarterback in the biggest sports market in the entire US.

GMENAGAIN
10-24-2012, 11:35 AM
I was listening to it and Ross Tucker was saying that he should hold out because right now he's worth about 20 million guaranteed. If he gets injured, he's worth nothing.. so he should hold out as soon as next week to get a new deal.

First off, Jerry Reese isn't gonna overpay for someone that's replaceable.. anyone that's paid attention to him over the last few years know this. How many people thought Steve Smith and Kevin Boss were a critical part of the Giants offense when Reese let them walk?

Some people are saying that Cruz should get 10+ million a year, I'm sorry.. I just don't think he's worth that much to the Giants, especially with the depth we have. The best case scenario for any Giants fan is that Reese offers Cruz a fair deal, Cruz accepts knowing that he's playing on a Super Bowl contending team with an MVP Quarterback in the biggest sports market in the entire US.

Reese won't pay him $10M per year.

He'll get a deal along the lines of 4 years, $30M with $12 -15M or so guaranteed.

drewz
10-24-2012, 11:39 AM

He'll get a deal along the lines of 4 years, $30M with $12 -15M or so guaranteed.

Agreed, you got people on this board thinking that Cruz should get Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson money.. that's insane..

fansince69
10-24-2012, 11:40 AM

we would be fools not to pay him something along those lines
as drews pointed out...can we replace cruz?...I am going to say in theory...yes...we have wide receivers that could catch the ball....In am not sure we have receivers that can do it the way cruz does...yac...knack for big catch in tight game...those type things are hard to measure

GameTime
10-24-2012, 11:41 AM
Cruz knows if he sits out the team will suffer. So then overall he will suffer. Then he may not get another SB. From that his endorsements will go in the ****ter. Right now he is making a very decent amount of money from his outside of football deals. That will only get better the better he does as a Giants player. He is doing the right thing....IMO

GMENAGAIN
10-24-2012, 11:44 AM
Agreed, you got people on this board thinking that Cruz should get Fitzgerald/Calvin Johnson money.. that's insane..

Agreed. I think that Cruz will get more like Greg Jennings/Wes Welker type money.

The Giants also know that Nicks will be holding Cruz's deal in his hand when it's time for him to get paid, so they're not going to overpay . . . .

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Cruz knows if he sits out the team will suffer. So then overall he will suffer. Then he may not get another SB. From that his endorsements will go in the ****ter. Right now he is making a very decent amount of money from his outside of football deals. That will only get better the better he does as a Giants player. He is doing the right thing....IMO

You are forgetting his real motivator, his Mother. She brought him up to be a decent person and that's how's he's going to handle this.

GameTime
10-24-2012, 11:56 AM
You are forgetting his real motivator, his Mother. She brought him up to be a decent person and that's how's he's going to handle this.

yep....
thats also what I mean about doing the right thing. When I said that if he sat out the Giants would suffer I didnt mean that in a selfish way. He doesnt want the Giants to suffer.....

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 11:57 AM
I honestly believe Jerry Reese knows exactly what Victor is worth and will deal with him fairly.

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 11:59 AM
yep....
thats also what I mean about doing the right thing. When I said that if he sat out the Giants would suffer I didnt mean that in a selfish way. He doesnt want the Giants to suffer.....

So now I get to push your wheel chair around the parking lot :cool:

GameTime
10-24-2012, 12:35 PM
So now I get to push your wheel chair around the parking lot :cool:

sounds like a deal.....as long as I can bring my cooler....

fansince69
10-24-2012, 12:37 PM
sounds like a deal.....as long as I can bring my cooler....

how often do you 2 date like this?

GameTime
10-24-2012, 12:38 PM
how often do you 2 date like this?
ok...thats was yesterday's joke....
move on.....nothing to see here....

:cool:

fansince69
10-24-2012, 12:40 PM
ok...thats was yesterday's joke....
move on.....nothing to see here....

:cool:

sorry..but if the shoe fits.......sometimes you cant help but look

Toadofsteel
10-24-2012, 12:48 PM

There is definitely this to be said. Another factor is his blue-collar upbringing. He had to work his way into the NFL. He went to Umass, went undrafted, and still made the team. He wasn't showered with praise from on high and introduced to fireworks and a standing ovation. He knows he needs to work, and keep working, in order to reap the benefits.

Honestly, I don't want to sound racist, but there is something to be said about the latino work ethic. Those who are raised in the latino culture tend to have it. Just go out and do your job, and the rest will take care of itself.

BigBlue1971
10-24-2012, 01:03 PM

Cruz is a great player for us but hes not worth 10 mil per year.....not yet anyway!

i would like to see him offered and sign a long term deal (6-7 years)! Reese will offer him a fair deal and i agree Cruz should consider what he has in playing with the Giants!

Ross Tucker is an idiot for suggesting Cruz hold out for a contract! why doesnt he hold out from his job? yea right!

Ruttiger711
10-24-2012, 01:13 PM
Cruz is a great player for us but hes not worth 10 mil per year.....not yet anyway!

i would like to see him offered and sign a long term deal (6-7 years)! Reese will offer him a fair deal and i agree Cruz should consider what he has in playing with the Giants!

Ross Tucker is an idiot for suggesting Cruz hold out for a contract! why doesnt he hold out from his job? yea right!

I could see a 7yr/50mil deal.

The great Tim Brown is on with Tucker and said when he was in this situation he took out an injury insurance policy, wonder if Cruz did the same.

bluesince86
10-24-2012, 01:16 PM
Yes lol. I just posted a Link to the video of it above... funny.. but you are right though about what you said but its unfair... if they dont play to their potential due to injury or whatever then dont expect to see a paycut

If they dont play up to their contract due injury or any other reason they dont get a pay cut, they get cut from the team and get no paycheck. I dont like that players hold out, but I understand why they do it.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:18 PM
I could see a 7yr/50mil deal.

The great Tim Brown is on with Tucker and said when he was in this situation he took out an injury insurance policy, wonder if Cruz did the same.

wonder how that would work....insurance is very fickle

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:19 PM
If they dont play up to their contract due injury or any other reason they dont get a pay cut, they get cut from the team and get no paycheck. I dont like that players hold out, but I understand why they do it.

thats right but they have already received the guaranteed money

bluesince86
10-24-2012, 01:31 PM
thats right but they have already received the guaranteed money

True, but the guarnteed money is only one part of the contract, its not the entire contract. The fact is that teams have an out if a player doesnt perform, so the arguement that they dont take a paycut is just not true. Why is it that you dont hear people complain that organization isnt honoring a contract when a player is cut, but when a player holds out they are a bad team mate and he should just play and honor his contract? Its because as fans we have loyalty to the team and we want whats best for the team. But for most players this is a career, most players dont have loyalty to a team as it is mainly a business to them

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:37 PM
True, but the guarnteed money is only one part of the contract, its not the entire contract. The fact is that teams have an out if a player doesnt perform, so the arguement that they dont take a paycut is just not true. Why is it that you dont hear people complain that organization isnt honoring a contract when a player is cut, but when a player holds out they are a bad team mate and he should just play and honor his contract? Its because as fans we have loyalty to the team and we want whats best for the team. But for most players this is a career, most players dont have loyalty to a team as it is mainly a business to them

I get all of that....but when a player(lets say a better than average player) signs a deal....he normally gets a chunk of money that is guaranteed that is more money than we as average fans will ever see in our lifetime....even if they were cut the next year.....if they have invested properly they should be set for life....I realize this is a business and a very fleeting one......these players need to be smarter with their money

Manning
10-24-2012, 01:38 PM
Agree 100%. He could lose out on millions if he were to tear his ACL.

Ruttiger711
10-24-2012, 01:41 PM
wonder how that would work....insurance is very fickle

Fickle goes down the more you pay :)

bluesince86
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
I get all of that....but when a player(lets say a better than average player) signs a deal....he normally gets a chunk of money that is guaranteed that is more money than we as average fans will ever see in our lifetime....even if they were cut the next year.....if they have invested properly they should be set for life....I realize this is a business and a very fleeting one......these players need to be smarter with their money

I agree, but its not about the amount of money they get guaranteed. The premiss of the argument that players don't lose money if they under perform is just false. There seems to be a double standard when it comes to honoring contracts from a fans perspective. It's ok for a team to cut a player if they are underperforming, but if a player holds out because they out perform the contract they are wrong.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Agree 100%. He could lose out on millions if he were to tear his ACL.

but that is a known risk for every player that steps on the field

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:46 PM
I agree, but its not about the amount of money they get guaranteed. The premiss of the argument that players don't lose money if they under perform is just false. There seems to be a double standard when it comes to honoring contracts from a fans perspective. It's ok for a team to cut a player if they are underperforming, but if a player holds out because they out perform the contract they are wrong.

I get that and it is wrong...but it is how the system works....if they don't like it they should have chosen baseball

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 02:33 PM

When players are cut, it is done under the terms of the contract. That's how the contracts are drawn up. That's how "guaranteed money" came into being, as means of leveling the playing field. The organizations are honoring the contracts. If they cut a player who has guaranteed money coming, he still gets the guarantee unless there is a caveat built into the contract.

GiantRoc
10-24-2012, 02:57 PM

I can't disagree enough. There are good players and great players. Cruz is a "great" player. It is a mistake to think he is not a big reason why our other recievers are doing so well. He has been the one constant in the receiving corp. I think it is his presence that helps when new guys have to step in when injuries occur. I liked Boss and Smith, but I don't think you can put those guys in the same class as Cruz. It is rare that you get to see a player on your favorite team, that can be one of the best in history at his position. I think we have 2, in Manning and Cruz. JPP may be there soon as well, but thats another story. I dont think Cruz is the kind of person who will sit out. Cruz will get what is fair to him and the team. Reese can't let him go. It would be marked down as the worst decision of his career as GM. I can't say it $10 mil/yr, but it will be fair and signifigant.

bluesince86
10-24-2012, 03:07 PM
When players are cut, it is done under the terms of the contract. That's how the contracts are drawn up. That's how "guaranteed money" came into being, as means of leveling the playing field. The organizations are honoring the contracts. If they cut a player who has guaranteed money coming, he still gets the guarantee unless there is a caveat built into the contract.

True, but the premiss that they are not losing out on money if they under perform is still false. In essence they do take a pay cut because they are not getting other money promised under the contract even if they do have more of the guaranteed money coming their way. I understand the reason guaranteed money was put in, but I still think that its bs that the teams get a pass from fans but the players dont. They are opting out of a contract which they have a right to do based on the terms of the contract. But I still dont think that players are wrong for holding out since they essentially dont have a guaranteed contract anyway. I understand the frustration when players hold out. When plax held out I was annoyed with him as a fan of the team, but I didnt blame him.

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
True, but the premiss that they are not losing out on money if they under perform is still false. In essence they do take a pay cut because they are not getting other money promised under the contract even if they do have more of the guaranteed money coming their way. I understand the reason guaranteed money was put in, but I still think that its bs that the teams get a pass from fans but the players dont. They are opting out of a contract which they have a right to do based on the terms of the contract. But I still dont think that players are wrong for holding out since they essentially dont have a guaranteed contract anyway. I understand the frustration when players hold out. When plax held out I was annoyed with him as a fan of the team, but I didnt blame him.

Players are free not to sign the contracts