PDA

View Full Version : If Eli Was Hit By a Meteor Today ...

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 10:53 AM
... is he a Hall of Famer?

GameTime
10-24-2012, 10:54 AM
after only 7 years....prob not

slickj966
10-24-2012, 10:55 AM
was having this discussion with a co worker this week...i also said probably not. numbers just arent good enough, and he never really dominated statistically like a brees or brady.

2x superbowl mvp does look pretty though.

edit: but i do think his best statistical years have yet to come...

Dwinsballgames
10-24-2012, 10:56 AM
he'd probably just shake it off and go back to the huddle.

GameTime
10-24-2012, 10:57 AM

now thats a perfect answer......

RagTime Blue
10-24-2012, 10:58 AM

Hahaaa. . .nice.

But I think he would be, although maybe not first ballot. When there's a weak ballot, somebody will get people remembering how he came back in all those games (especially the 2 big ones).

GiantDadx3
10-24-2012, 10:58 AM
He'll get up and say nice try Brady

qndarius3
10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
He'll get up and say nice try Brady

This has all the makings of a Legend of Seawright thread.

nygfanmaybe
10-24-2012, 11:00 AM
He'd probably almost go down but keep his feet, get back up and hit someone in the helmet for a game-saving play.

Moke
10-24-2012, 11:01 AM

Well maybe, considering he probably still wouldn't get injured from the attack.

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 11:03 AM

No, but if he were hit by a bus, yes

Laurah1275
10-24-2012, 11:04 AM
The meteor would shatter to pieces....Eli is invincible....;)

TheAnalyst
10-24-2012, 11:04 AM
Eli would pick it up, and throw it back at the cosmos hitting God for the TD.

Moke
10-24-2012, 11:09 AM
Now I'm thinking about Eli in the superman costume holding a meteor with kyrptonite.

Thanks man.

GMan-67
we would name the Meteor BlindNYFans00681B

fansince69

might be best post of the year

CowboysSuck
10-24-2012, 11:12 AM
Could god create a meteor so big even Eli couldnt stop it? im thinking no..

Toadofsteel
10-24-2012, 11:13 AM

Yeah, Brady would probably go yell at his OC for that...

Down-lifer
10-24-2012, 11:19 AM
... is he a Hall of Famer?without question he is.

giantsfan420
10-24-2012, 11:37 AM
if he got hit by a meteor literally he would 1000% be first ballot HoF. it'd be the story of the sports world and biggest sports story all time "2x SB MVP Struck by Meteor"...sports writers votes on the HoF and the player and how he is percieved by the media is a huuuuuuge part of it imho.

now if u were just using the meteor analogy to say if eli manning quit football tmrw, retired of his own valition (bc even an injury would be perceived imho as like a lou gherig situation, great player career cut early type thing) then I dunno how the voters would vote, prob wouldnt be first ballot but over time im sure he'd get in...the stuff he's accomplished rival the namaith guarantee and other great all time stories of the nfl, kid brother eventually outplays big brother G.O.A.T, the 18-0 patriots, the manner in which he led the team to 2 sb wins,etc etc etc...elis the stuff legends r made of and i believe what used to be a small minority that felt that way is now the strong strong majority

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 11:39 AM
Nice answers.

On the more realistic side, has there ever been a two time SB winning QB (much less MVP) that hasn't made it to the Hall of Fame?

While his total yards aren't fantastic from a stats point of view he's not far off Kurt Warner (which most seem to agree will make the HoF) from a stats point of view.

giantsfan420
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
Nice answers.

On the more realistic side, has there ever been a two time SB winning QB (much less MVP) that hasn't made it to the Hall of Fame?

While his total yards aren't fantastic from a stats point of view he's not far off Kurt Warner (which most seem to agree will make the HoF) from a stats point of view.
eli is the 4th or 5th qb to win sb mvp twice, each other qb to do it was first ballot HoF altho iirc Brady may still be playing but i dunno if he had 2 sb mvps i know branch had one

fansince69
10-24-2012, 11:43 AM
if he got hit by a meteor literally he would 1000% be first ballot HoF. it'd be the story of the sports world and biggest sports story all time "2x SB MVP Struck by Meteor"...sports writers votes on the HoF and the player and how he is percieved by the media is a huuuuuuge part of it imho.

now if u were just using the meteor analogy to say if eli manning quit football tmrw, retired of his own valition (bc even an injury would be perceived imho as like a lou gherig situation, great player career cut early type thing) then I dunno how the voters would vote, prob wouldnt be first ballot but over time im sure he'd get in...the stuff he's accomplished rival the namaith guarantee and other great all time stories of the nfl, kid brother eventually outplays big brother G.O.A.T, the 18-0 patriots, the manner in which he led the team to 2 sb wins,etc etc etc...elis the stuff legends r made of and i believe what used to be a small minority that felt that way is now the strong strong majority

really? Thurman munson is not in...his career would be very similar to Elis if eli died tomorrow so i am not sure that the media tragedy insures hof

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 12:01 PM
really? Thurman munson is not in...his career would be very similar to Elis if eli died tomorrow so i am not sure that the media tragedy insures hof

Interesting comparison.

However a replica of Munson's locker is in the baseball HoF. To Giantsfan420's point (and the media hated Munson while he was alive).

fansince69
10-24-2012, 12:06 PM
Interesting comparison.

However a replica of Munson's locker is in the baseball HoF. To Giantsfan420's point (and the media hated Munson while he was alive).

all true but the point is that a tragedy doesn't insure anything...also getting into canton can be tricky depending oh who else is eligible...its not like that for cooperstown...kind of ironic since canton was Munson's hometown...hes already there

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 12:09 PM
all true but the point is that a tragedy doesn't insure anything...also getting into canton can be tricky depending oh who else is eligible...its not like that for cooperstown...kind of ironic since canton was Munson's hometown...hes already there

Lol tell Harry Carson that.

Had Munson just walked away from Baseball in '79 (ala Giantsfan420's point) I highly doubt his locker or any other part of him would be in the HoF.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 12:13 PM
Lol tell Harry Carson that.

Had Munson just walked away from Baseball in '79 (ala Giantsfan420's point) I highly doubt his locker or any other part of him would be in the HoF.

which is sad because he played 10 great years for a world series winning team.....at the time he died he was one of very few players with 3 years consecutive years 300 ave and 100 rbi...fisk and bench got in and not him only because of longevity.....bench was best but fisk and munson very very close

BillTheGreek
10-24-2012, 12:24 PM
Eli Eats Meteors for breakfast.. He would have to have something more powerful hit him ! Wait and see ! After this Year he will be a Hall of Famer !

SweetZombieJesus
10-24-2012, 12:34 PM
2 SB MVPs, all those epic comebacks, beating the 18-0 Pats with the biggest play in SB history, face it he's in. He's just padding the resume from here on in.

Mutliple SB MVP QBs: Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, and this guy called ELI. Just by being in that company he's in.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 12:43 PM
2 SB MVPs, all those epic comebacks, beating the 18-0 Pats with the biggest play in SB history, face it he's in. He's just padding the resume from here on in.

Mutliple SB MVP QBs: Bart Starr, Joe Montana, Terry Bradshaw, Tom Brady, and this guy called ELI. Just by being in that company he's in.

Its not quite that cut and dried at this point,,,but your points are worthy of creating this discussion...btw you forgot troy Aikman.....

Out of Exile
10-24-2012, 01:28 PM
Haters say no. I say yes.

It's safe to say even if he only played mediocre for the next 7 years, he would still crack a ton of stats.

I would say yes.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:30 PM
Haters say no. I say yes.

It's safe to say even if he only played mediocre for the next 7 years, he would still crack a ton of stats.

I would say yes.

so at this point anyone who disagrees with you is a hater?ok thanks for clearing that up

Bluetooss
10-24-2012, 01:34 PM
.btw you forgot troy Aikman.....

Aikman only won it once

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:44 PM
Aikman only won it oncehe won 3
27 28 and 30...2x under jimmy johnson and once under the other dumb *** that took over a great team

Toadofsteel
10-24-2012, 01:48 PM
he won 3
27 28 and 30...2x under jimmy johnson and once under the other dumb *** that took over a great team

I thought emmitt won the mvp in those 3 super bowls?

fansince69
10-24-2012, 01:49 PM
I thought emmitt won the mvp in those 3 super bowls?

i was talking about winning superbowls not mvps...he won 1 mvp larry bown and smith won the others...

my mistake...i thought he was just listing multiple superbowls

SweetZombieJesus
10-24-2012, 02:17 PM
.btw you forgot troy Aikman.....

SB XXVII MVP: Aikman
SB XXVIII MVP: Smith
SB XXIX MVP: Brown

fansince69
10-24-2012, 02:18 PM
SB XXVII MVP: Aikman
SB XXVIII MVP: Smith
SB XXIX MVP: Brown

maybe you should have read previous post

SweetZombieJesus
10-24-2012, 02:20 PM
i was talking about winning superbowls not mvps...he won 1 mvp larry bown and smith won the others...

my mistake...i thought he was just listing multiple superbowls

Then you didn't read what I wrote. Multiple Super Bowl MVP QBs are Starr, Bradshaw, Montana, and Brady. And Eli. 3 in the HoF already, no doubt about Brady.

SweetZombieJesus
10-24-2012, 02:20 PM
maybe you should have read previous postfollow your own advice

Kruunch
10-24-2012, 02:25 PM
so at this point anyone who disagrees with you is a hater?ok thanks for clearing that up

Remember, hate only leads to the Dark Side.

IamGiantsfan
10-24-2012, 03:03 PM
Am I the only one concerned by the fact that Eli is getting hit by a Meteor... :lol:

GameTime
10-24-2012, 03:16 PM
I first said no but if Joe Nameth is in the HOF then Eli certainly deserves to be.
I was too young to appreciate Nameth but with 170 TD and 220 interceptions has more losses then wins....
how is this guy in the HOF????

If he is in then Eli shoudl be a first ballot unanimous

fansince69
10-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I first said no but if Joe Nameth is in the HOF then Eli certainly deserves to be.
I was too young to appreciate Nameth but with 170 TD and 220 interceptions has more losses then wins....

it was different then...I do understand what your saying....but during his hey day namath owned the city....his numbers don't reflect the icon he was...not saying I agree...just explaining ............that superbowl had a lot to do with the afl even being recognized

fansince69
10-24-2012, 03:48 PM
follow your own advice

I read your post...i just read it wrong and apologized...you obviously didn't even both to read my apology...because it was written before you got all excited......in fact it was the post just before.....

Rudyy
10-24-2012, 03:51 PM
Eli would just be like:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1kkj09LkS1r46u0ko1_500.gif

GameTime
10-24-2012, 05:54 PM
it was different then...I do understand what your saying....but during his hey day namath owned the city....his numbers don't reflect the icon he was...not saying I agree...just explaining ............that superbowl had a lot to do with the afl even being recognized

I understand that but I didnt think iconic status had anything to do with the HOF......

anyway.....no biggie.

SweetZombieJesus
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
Am I the only one concerned by the fact that Eli is getting hit by a Meteor... :lol:

Be concerned for the meteor

stormblue
10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
i'd let him in but i'm a homer and don't get a vote.

is there anyone but sayers who is in there with less than 10 years ?

stormblue
10-25-2012, 11:07 AM

yeah, but its not what he did , its when he did it.
he took the NFC's cherry.
and as you know......that's a once in a lifetime thing.

fansince69
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
I understand that but I didnt think iconic status had anything to do with the HOF......

anyway.....no biggie.

you have to remember it was a very different time....his biggest feather was the fact that an afl team beat and nfl team...that was a huge stepping stone for the nfl currently...basically changed history....and his guarantee just added to the story

Toadofsteel
10-25-2012, 01:07 PM
Eli would just be like:

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m1kkj09LkS1r46u0ko1_500.gif

"what was that noise?"

Rudyy
10-25-2012, 01:25 PM
"what was that noise?" LOL exactly

Kruunch
10-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Namath is a sharp reason why the HoF is kind of a joke. But every hall of fame has their oops case.

fansince69
10-25-2012, 01:33 PM
Namath is a sharp reason why the HoF is kind of a joke. But every hall of fame has their oops case.
I am not saying I agree....just trying to help game time understand the thought process that went into it.......and while his overall numbers were nothing spectacular...what he meant to the development of the nfl cant be ignored

stormblue
10-25-2012, 01:41 PM

you are so wrong.
the HOF is for those who have meant the most to football.

beating the NFC for the first time in a superbowl gave the AFC
the requisite street cred to justify the merger.
he was also the first big name steal from the NFC in the draft.

compare that to all of Marino's meaningless stats and trivia
that don't amount to jack.not even one ring.

he didn't just win a superbowl. he won THE superbowl.
and the hearts of america.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
and i would like to quantify my last post
by informing you that i hate the jets and everything about them.

but Broadway Joe deserves his yellow jacket.

its up there with the 1980 olympic hockey team.
it's more than sports .....it's americana.

gumby74
10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
way too many people get into the hall of fame imo. Only those that are once in a generation players should get in or have something that made the special or stand out.. ie. Lawrence Taylor etc. Stats are not mandatory. Lasting impression however is. Had Vick not had dog issues, I'd he would be in "my" hall of fame too. Randall Cunningham also. Namath had the guarantee. Bo Jackson was a monster. Jack Lambert with the teeth. Peyton was an OC in a QBs body. Brady would NOT have made it neither would any other QB of this generation. Jim Brown and Barry Sanders, but not Walter Payton, Emmit Smith, etc. Too many average joes with good stats in the HoF.

Rudyy
10-25-2012, 01:59 PM
When Eli retires and gets in the HOF, we are all gonna come back to this thread and laugh. If this thread still exists.

Medisleman
10-25-2012, 02:07 PM

So true. And you should add throw a 77 yard touchdown pass in the 4th quarter with under 2 minutes to go to win the game right before getting hit by another meteor. He will still be ready for gameday the next week and take no credit for the win.

Rudyy
10-25-2012, 02:23 PM
So true. And you should add throw a 77 yard touchdown pass in the 4th quarter with under 2 minutes to go to win the game right before getting hit by another meteor. He will still be ready for gameday the next week and take no credit for the win.Eli would say how they were prepared because they practiced the 2 minute drill during a meteor strike.

Kruunch
10-25-2012, 02:51 PM
and i would like to quantify my last post
by informing you that i hate the jets and everything about them.

but Broadway Joe deserves his yellow jacket.

its up there with the 1980 olympic hockey team.
it's more than sports .....it's americana.

That's well put.

I don't agree (I do think that the HoF should be on personal merit, not the timing of a single event of which you are a part of) but your point was well made.

titwio
10-25-2012, 09:22 PM
He'll definitely get the sympathy vote. Who wouldn't vote for a guy who got hit by a meteor...

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-25-2012, 09:33 PM
He doesnt have to even worry, he would just step up and not be hit!!!! If i knew how to photoshop it would have Eli's face.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjPFFNBe2zUlo1tO8f2yNXncBtlaf2N Lv_90sphM-TfBePhNhHPA

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 01:52 AM
If he got hit by a meteor he is a shoo-in. He would be the first player to be hit by one. Two time Super Bowl winner, 2 time Super Bowl MVP, team passing records and 1 time hit by meteor.

Of course Peyton would try to outdo him.

Diamondring
10-26-2012, 03:56 AM
Yes cause Eli would smack the meteor and say wow the bugs around here are big then walks away to continiou his football career..

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 04:01 AM
Yes cause Eli would smack the meteor and say wow the bugs around here are big then walks away to continiou his football career..

Thanks god he isn't Joba Chamberlain then...hell bugs ate him up,a meteor would devastate him.

giantsfan420
10-26-2012, 04:45 AM
I am not saying I agree....just trying to help game time understand the thought process that went into it.......and while his overall numbers were nothing spectacular...what he meant to the development of the nfl cant be ignored

ppl r also putting way too much stock in the td/int ratio. namaith called the offense, was league mvp when he finally started to call run plays, and was prob the toughest guy playing back then. in college, ole miss iirc or was it bama, it was a power sec school i know that, he was a TREMENDOUS athlete as well as the most accurate gun slinging strong armed qb. he destroyed his knees, and i mean DESTROYED them while playing and this was before the medical industry took off with all the acl/mcl tech. they basically taped his knees 10x and gave him a shot after they'd drain both them, every gameday morning. guy was tough as balls.

i dunno if ppl understand how the HoF voting works. a guys contribution to the game/the stories his onfield play created/the way his legend grew with the writers/all the tangibles that stats dont measure are measured in the HoF. Stats of course r huge, and u gotta be a top player of the era-namath owned both those at the time he was elected. he also has the legendary moment that made him a legend to the writers, who r the people that vote...all these things r why eli will 100000% be a HoF, he's given the writers stories of a generation, he's made tremendous plays in the brightest of lights, and he did all this vs an undefeated team which adds to the aura and tb/bb 2x while being the kid brother to what was thought the goat...elis a lock, u couldnt write a better script than the eli story, all the hate early turned to earned love

Captain Chaos
10-26-2012, 05:25 AM
of course!