PDA

View Full Version : PFF Oline Rankings: Giants are 14th overall

TheEnigma
10-24-2012, 02:37 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/10/24/offensive-line-rankings/2/

14. New York Giants

PB = 21st, RB = 8th, PEN = 15th

What a difference losing one player can make. David Diehl, or ‘The Turnstile’ as some would have him be known, went out injured and since then they’ve looked like a different unit. Big step forward after the mess that was 2011.

thomsoad
10-24-2012, 03:18 PM
This makes absolutely no sense.
Eli is the least sacked QB in the league...how is our pass blocking ranked lower then our run blocking?!
Until someone can explain that to me...this is BS.

giants8493
10-24-2012, 03:27 PM
Eli is the least sacked QB in the league...how is our pass blocking ranked lower then our run blocking?!
Until someone can explain that to me...this is BS. Maybe it is because Eli is getting the ball out very early.

TheEnigma
10-24-2012, 03:28 PM
Until someone can explain that to me...this is BS.

Sacks are just one aspect of pass rushing. PFF grades pass blocking by the total pressure allowed (QB hits, hurries, etc.) and then finds the percentage of pass blocking efficiency by dividing the total pass blocking snaps by the total pressure allowed. The math has found that even just hurried throws leads to a decreased QB rating, worse TD/INT ratio, and less YPA. This is why a player who allows 5 sacks on the season can grade better than one who has allowed no sacks but has allowed 25 hurries. Sacks are just the ultimate negative of a successful pass rush and only tell part of the story.

We were ranked 32 in pass blocking last year so it's a huge improvement.

thomsoad
10-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Sacks are just one aspect of pass rushing. PFF grades pass blocking by the total pressure allowed (QB hits, hurries, etc.) and then finds the percentage of pass blocking efficiency by dividing the total pass blocking snaps by the total pressure allowed. The math has found that even just hurried throws leads to a decreased QB rating, worse TD/INT ratio, and less YPA. This is why a player who allows 5 sacks on the season can grade better than one who has allowed no sacks but has allowed 25 hurries. Sacks are just the ultimate negative of a successful pass rush and only tell part of the story.

We were ranked 32 in pass blocking last year so it's a huge improvement.

Im not saying its not an improvement and i understand the hurries and knockdowns aspect as well. But truth is Eli is not getting much pressure at all this year. So unless they for some reason are knocking the Oline becuz Eli throws the ball quick Im not seeing how this Oline is the 10th WORST Oline in blocking and somehow the 8th BEST Oline in running.

If anything these should be reversed.

TheEnigma
10-24-2012, 03:41 PM
Im not saying its not an improvement and i understand the hurries and knockdowns aspect as well. But truth is Eli is not getting much pressure at all this year. So unless they for some reason are knocking the Oline becuz Eli throws the ball quick Im not seeing how this Oline is the 10th WORST Oline in blocking and somehow the 8th BEST Oline in running.

Remember that these rankings take other teams into account as well. The Giants pass blocking looks that much better because of how bad it has been the 2 years prior with Diehl and then Kareem last year being the worst RT in the league. As for the run blocking, they don't grade by total rushing yards gained but by simply beating the man on the other side of the line with blocks. This way, the line gets credit for successful plays even when the RB doesn't run to the proper hole like Bradshaw had a habit of doing earlier this year.

It isn't a perfect ranking because you have teams like the Bills who always grade high in PB but it's more because of their quick, three step drop system than the work of their offensive line. I prefer PFF's grades because they are much more thorough than simply going "No sacks allowed? Great job!" or saying that the Redskins have the best run blocking line because they are the #1 rushing offense. This doesn't take into account QB scrambles down the sideline that have absolutely nothing to do with actual offensive line blocking.

Hope that helped a little bit.

dave56dj
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
One player? Thats just not true - it's both our tackles. Beatty moved in for Diehl and Locklear for mckenzie - really not fair to pin this all on DD. Not to mention Baas was hurt almost all of last year and boothe was adjusting to starting (still hasn't played great but getting better).

TheEnigma
10-24-2012, 04:07 PM
One player? Thats just not true - it's both our tackles. Beatty moved in for Diehl and Locklear for mckenzie - really not fair to pin this all on DD. Not to mention Baas was hurt almost all of last year and boothe was adjusting to starting (still hasn't played great but getting better).

I think the first part of that explanation was just for the start of this season when Diehl was still starting. Diehl has always been one of the worst graded players on their site so they are probably a little harsh on him at times.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 04:07 PM

if you think back eli took several hits in the redskin game just as he released the ball...that last pass to cruz..eli was on the ground

dave56dj
10-24-2012, 04:09 PM
Oh i agree - but the truth is we enfused two new players and really the guy who has made the most positive impact is beatty and technically he was taking over for locklear who moved over to play for diehl. I understand there idea - and one man going down (dd) brought in two new tackles.

TheEnigma
10-24-2012, 04:12 PM
Oh i agree - but the truth is we enfused two new players and really the guy who has made the most positive impact is beatty and technically he was taking over for locklear who moved over to play for diehl. I understand there idea - and one man going down (dd) brought in two new tackles.

The Giants Oline success can be attributed to the changes we made at Tackle. Last time I checked, Beatty was ranked 11 overall for pass blocking for all OTs and while Locklear is just average for us at RT, it's a huge improvement from the worst RT.

dave56dj
10-24-2012, 05:54 PM
For sure - but you cant totally overlook the fact that baas is healthier (although now he has an ankle injury) snee has been a lot better and boothe is easing into his new role - slowly as a starter.

moosedrool
10-24-2012, 06:32 PM
PFF refers to Diehl as the Turnstile. LOL

Kase-1
10-25-2012, 12:35 AM
2 words.... Will Beatty

I know people have been dragging him through the mud for his freak injuries (calling him injury prone, cause ya know an eye and back injury are directly related) yet you NEVER hear his name called during games cept how he's keeping the oppsing teams biggest pass rush threat in check. As long as he stays healthy (just like any crucial player) he's gonna be a great asset for years to come.

...I cant lie Baas has stepped his game up DRASTICALLY as well from last year

Captain Chaos
10-25-2012, 03:13 AM
Will Beatty has really shored up the left side, think we are still weak on the right side. Would really like to see Brewer step up but he may not be ready this year. The Giants have been doing pretty well; however, they could be doing much better.