PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning says receivers early in his career created bad habits he's since overcome

ozzie0075
10-24-2012, 02:47 PM
TR2 ‏@TomRock_Newsday
"I think early on we probably had receivers who in practice youíd try to force them to get them balls so they donít get down or you keep them happy and I think you create bad habits doing that," Manning said of sticking to his principles of progressions these days. "As I got older and we got younger, we got new guys in, it evolved to doing it the correct way, going through the reads, saying you have to earn the right to get open and itís all based on the coverage and on the reads and I have to make sure Iím doing the right things and not getting into bad habits."

GameTime
10-24-2012, 02:49 PM
in other words HE is now the leader so everybody else STFU and I will throw to the open man. You dont like it then go some where else.

TheAnalyst
10-24-2012, 03:00 PM
Wonder who he is talking about?

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSdnrJ5F9SF3reaK4nPBFh4imHnPd7tF jXp_m_mmDIfh5UnwAA5gg

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRA78xlflev_hzjco3Lw7lfeke72dHab nnkaQXhrx1PNXlbPYKNxA

GameTime
10-24-2012, 03:08 PM
I odnt think Plax but def Shockey. I can see Toomer speaking up for himself too. Dont forget Tiki was prob like...'Eli...I am in the flat open all the time"...

manning to shockey
10-24-2012, 03:15 PM
I'M OPEN!!! ELI THROW ME THE DAMN BALL!!!
http://www.xcomment.com/g3/img/shockey5090407073128.gif

Ruttiger711
10-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Shockey - Plax - cant see how tiki would contribute to the bad habits. Don't see Toomer in that role either.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 04:02 PM
Shockey - Plax - cant see how tiki would contribute to the bad habits. Don't see Toomer in that role either.

I agree....there was alot of talk on these boards about this very subject back in his early days........how come we/fans could see it but the team couldn't?

BigBlue1971
10-24-2012, 04:05 PM
in other words HE is now the leader so everybody else STFU and I will throw to the open man. You dont like it then go some where else.

^^ this

Mistanihan
10-24-2012, 04:13 PM
Nothin wrong with hittin the ole bong :D

egyptian420
10-24-2012, 05:26 PM
Eli just wasn't as much of a leader amongst people like Shockey, Burress, Tiki, or Toomer....now all his receivers are young guys and he's a veteran, he can school these kids now. And he does it really well.

joemorrisforprez
10-24-2012, 05:45 PM
He was surrounded by some older, me-first players....so it's pretty understandable.

Abby Manning
10-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Yeah, one person, Jeremy Shockey is his name. Eli used to force the ball to him because he would cry that he didn't get enough possessions...

dave56dj
10-24-2012, 05:50 PM
When a rook QB comes into town vets are gonna test him for sure. SORRY, but EVERY player wants the ball from tooms to shockey to plax to tiki. Some are more boisterous then others (shockey) but dont think for a sec that they werent all asking for it. Tiki definitely demanded the ball as did plax. its the qb's job to take over and go through his progressions to find the open guy. But a youngter isn't always ready to NOT give into those demands - it takes time - no need to blame anyone. Eli learned and it made him into a great leader.

jax5338
10-24-2012, 06:35 PM

im not so rue about toomer. i used to think he was a stand up guy, but since he's retired he has come off as kind of an *******. not just what he said about romo/eli this offseason, but stuff like wanting to hurt trey junkin and stuff. seems like a bit of a jerk.

DragonSoul
10-24-2012, 06:39 PM
TR2 ‏@TomRock_Newsday
"I think early on we probably had receivers who in practice youíd try to force them to get them balls so they donít get down or you keep them happy and I think you create bad habits doing that," Manning said of sticking to his principles of progressions these days. "As I got older and we got younger, we got new guys in, it evolved to doing it the correct way, going through the reads, saying you have to earn the right to get open and itís all based on the coverage and on the reads and I have to make sure Iím doing the right things and not getting into bad habits."If I recall he said this beginning of last year with all the new faces. Something to the extent of I will throw where the guy is open, and not force it as to throw pics, you have to earn the ball. It was something to that extent after his 25 int year. It was great to hear, and nice too see it is still sticking, and that is correct of him to say.

miked1958
10-24-2012, 06:40 PM
well lately he has been floating wobbley balls. over and under throwing and making a few bad Picks. Lets hope he can get those issues worked out. after last season I thought he would have even more of a breakout year and be even more on target.

He does it and makes it look so pretty sometimes. then he turns around and throws one or two like he did when he missed cruz and threw the 2 pics

njersey
10-24-2012, 06:50 PM
Nothin wrong with hittin the ole bong :D

Are you sure that was a bong?

BlueSanta
10-24-2012, 06:53 PM
well lately he has been floating wobbley balls. over and under throwing and making a few bad Picks. Lets hope he can get those issues worked out. after last season I thought he would have even more of a breakout year and be even more on target.

He does it and makes it look so pretty sometimes. then he turns around and throws one or two like he did when he missed cruz and threw the 2 pics

You sir, are spoiled. He had a couple bad throws vs the skins which he later made up for. Other than that, he his having the finest year of his career.

Giantsin04
10-24-2012, 06:55 PM

In other words, be perfect every time.

Sounds reasonable. sigh...

Ruttiger711
10-24-2012, 07:03 PM
im not so rue about toomer. i used to think he was a stand up guy, but since he's retired he has come off as kind of an *******. not just what he said about romo/eli this offseason, but stuff like wanting to hurt trey junkin and stuff. seems like a bit of a jerk.

You know anything is possible. I listen to him quite a bit on sirius and a couple times now he's really let it show that has issues with how much attention and CREDIT QB's in general get vs other players.

Drez
10-24-2012, 07:09 PM
You sir, are spoiled. He had a couple bad throws vs the skins which he later made up for. Other than that, he his having the finest year of his career.
For real. He played probably one of his worst games of the past season and a half on Sunday... And we still won! At this point in time, I think we can just chalk it up to a bad day at the office and move on. If he plays that way the next 4 or 5 games, then we might begin to worry.