PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Hakeem Nicks Has A "Great" Practice, Says He's A Lot Healthier

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 05:11 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/giants_hakeem_nicks_has_a_grea.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks' numbers in the Giants' Week 1 matchup against the Cowboys suggest rookie Morris Claiborne made a significant impact in shutting the wide receiver down in his first career game.

Nicks doesn't see it that way. He said he was limited to four receptions for 38 yards because he was still transitioning to game speed two weeks after returning from a 12-week layoff due to foot surgery with just a one preseason game under his belt.

Soreness in his right foot limited his burst in and out of breaks as he was testing his boundaries.

"It was the first game and I was coming from foot surgery and I was trying to play it out and see how my foot was," Nicks said. "I donít think it was nothing that he did or nothing that they did." Read more...

GameTime
10-24-2012, 06:30 PM
great to hear...

SOME fans of the Cowboys think they just have to jam Cruz and he will be ineffective and or double up he and Nicks and single up on everybody else and they will be fine....

egyptian420
10-24-2012, 06:35 PM
I think Hixon and Bennett will benefit the most from Nicks and Cruz being at 100%.

...Which doesn't at all mean that Nicks and Cruz won't torch that D anyways

bbdynasty
10-24-2012, 06:37 PM
we got hixon and bennet. Nicks will for sure be even better this week, he looked pretty solid against wash, except for 2 dropped passes... moving well though. I say our passing game stays dominant in this game, but our run game might suffer a bit.

Laurah1275
10-24-2012, 06:49 PM
Nicks, great practice, healthier, all in the same sentence?!?!....It must be Christmas morning :)

RoanokeFan
10-24-2012, 08:18 PM
Nicks and Cruz are at their best when they are both on the field. As others have pointed out, that's when it's great to have Hixon and Bennett in the mix,

giantsforce
10-24-2012, 08:46 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/giants_hakeem_nicks_has_a_grea.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "Hakeem Nicks' numbers in the Giants' Week 1 matchup against the Cowboys suggest rookie Morris Claiborne made a significant impact in shutting the wide receiver down in his first career game.

Nicks doesn't see it that way. He said he was limited to four receptions for 38 yards because he was still transitioning to game speed two weeks after returning from a 12-week layoff due to foot surgery with just a one preseason game under his belt.

Soreness in his right foot limited his burst in and out of breaks as he was testing his boundaries.

"It was the first game and I was coming from foot surgery and I was trying to play it out and see how my foot was," Nicks said. "I donít think it was nothing that he did or nothing that they did." Read more...So, we are talking about Practice, right? Not a real game but practice! Nicks said. "I donít think it was nothing that he did or nothing that they did." Hmmmm, Where did I hear this? Oh, yeah, every time we beat someone is the same story. Now Nicks is joining that kind of crowd. Didn't Coughlin say "shut up and play"? well Nicks, Talk is Cheap! show us during the actual game how good you feel and try not to get hurt again because we need you.

Rudyy
10-24-2012, 08:49 PM
So, we are talking about Practice, right? Not a real game but practice! Nicks said. "I don’t think it was nothing that he did or nothing that they did." Hmmmm, Where did I hear this? Oh, yeah, every time we beat someone is the same story. Now Nicks is joining that kind of crowd. Didn't Coughlin say "shut up and play"? well Nicks, Talk is Cheap! show us during the actual game how good you feel and try not to get hurt again because we need you.He said that because he was injured, not because he got outplayed. Nicks is a top 5 receiver in this league.

CowboysSuck
10-24-2012, 08:50 PM
Nicks will be just fine. This is going to be a battle Sunday, but if we play the way we have been of late, the Cowboys will still be winless to us in their new stadium. YES

GMan-67
10-24-2012, 11:07 PM
in this short attention span world, i think many have forgotten what Nicks is capable of

be nice to have a grand re-introduction to one of the true stud WRs in the sport

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 11:27 PM
So, we are talking about Practice, right? Not a real game but practice! Nicks said. "I donít think it was nothing that he did or nothing that they did." Hmmmm, Where did I hear this? Oh, yeah, every time we beat someone is the same story. Now Nicks is joining that kind of crowd. Didn't Coughlin say "shut up and play"? well Nicks, Talk is Cheap! show us during the actual game how good you feel and try not to get hurt again because we need you.So you thought he looked healthy that 1st game? I sure didn't. If he is healthy now like he looked in the 2nd game he will be much better. It's not like he hasn't beaten good CB's before. In fact he has been doing it since he entered the league.

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 11:28 PM
He didn't look healthy against the 49ers but he did look better last week, so if he said he is even better this week I think he is going to give Dallas a hard time.

Captain Chaos
10-25-2012, 04:22 AM
A healthy Nicks can really open things up for the rest of the team.....

giantsfan420
10-25-2012, 04:35 AM
im expecting a huge game frm nicks

Antwuan
10-25-2012, 05:59 AM
Great News!

stormblue
10-25-2012, 08:04 AM
He said that because he was injured, not because he got outplayed. Nicks is a top 5 receiver in this league.

hey Nicks is really good , but he is not top 5.
he is not even #1 on his own team.
in 2009 he was 40th.
in 2010 he was 13th
in 2011 he was 12th.

now thats great stuff.....but it ain't top 5
it ain't even top 10.

potential is not production.
and being and staying healthy is part of it.

IamGiantsfan
10-25-2012, 08:08 AM
hey Nicks is really good , but he is not top 5.
he is not even #1 on his own team.
in 2009 he was 40th.
in 2010 he was 13th
in 2011 he was 12th.

now thats great stuff.....but it ain't top 5

potential is not production.
and being and staying healthy is part of it.

did you watch the play offs, nicks was insane

stormblue
10-25-2012, 08:15 AM
did you watch the play offs, nicks was insane

did you watch the first 7 games this year ?

i did not say he hasn't shown signs of awesomeness , we all know
he's a beast sometimes.

i said he ain't top 5....and he's not , so get over it.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 08:17 AM
He said that because he was injured, not because he got outplayed. Nicks is a top 5 receiver in this league.

Megatron
Larry
Andre johnson
roddy white
aj green
brandon marshall

those are all guys who are better than nicks without mentioning cruz.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 08:21 AM
So, we are talking about Practice, right? Not a real game but practice! Nicks said. "I donít think it was nothing that he did or nothing that they did." Hmmmm, Where did I hear this? Oh, yeah, every time we beat someone is the same story. Now Nicks is joining that kind of crowd. Didn't Coughlin say "shut up and play"? well Nicks, Talk is Cheap! show us during the actual game how good you feel and try not to get hurt again because we need you.

Like rudy said i dont think nicks meant it that way. He was probably playing at 75% and thats just keeping it real

stormblue
10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/year/2011

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 08:30 AM
hey Nicks is really good , but he is not top 5.he is not even #1 on his own team.in 2009 he was 40th.in 2010 he was 13thin 2011 he was 12th.now thats great stuff.....but it ain't top 5it ain't even top 10.potential is not production.and being and staying healthy is part of it.So you do know he was a rookie in 2009 and didn't start? He also missed a couple of games. The one knock on Nicks is that he is unable to stay healthy for an entire season but if you took those numbers and based them on the games he played he is probably a top 5 on that list.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 08:38 AM
So you do know he was a rookie in 2009 and didn't start? He also missed a couple of games. The one knock on Nicks is that he is unable to stay healthy for an entire season but if you took those numbers and based them on the games he played he is probably a top 5 on that list.

Nicks is a very good receiver but he is top 5 only in the eyes of giant fans. Nicks is not the only receiver who misses games because on injury. You got to think if Aj green and brandon marshall are putting up those numbers with the Qb's that have been throwing them the ball, imagine how much better they would look in our system with eli. And saying nicks is better than roddy white, megatron, larry, or andre johnson is straight up homer status at its best. I can honestly list about 7 to 8 receivers who are better. Its not that nicks isnt good. Its just that there are a lot of good receivers out there. being a top 10 receiver is like being a top 5 qb.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 08:45 AM
So you do know he was a rookie in 2009 and didn't start? He also missed a couple of games. The one knock on Nicks is that he is unable to stay healthy for an entire season but if you took those numbers and based them on the games he played he is probably a top 5 on that list.

yes i know he was a rookie in 2009 Buddy
i'm 57 years old and been a giants fan my whole life.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receivingYards/year/2011

so why don't you take a closer look at that list.

i posted his BEST year , so you can see where he ranks.
he has 400 yards less total and 250 yards less YAC than
his own teammate.
with the almost identical targets and catches.
he is #2 on our team...#12 in the league.

and like i said .....staying healthy is part of it.
a broke down racecar is not gonna finish in the top 5.

you can't catch Toomer from the sidelines.

Rudyy
10-25-2012, 08:49 AM
Megatron
Larry
Andre johnson
roddy white
aj green
brandon marshall

those are all guys who are better than nicks without mentioning cruz.Meh, i'd take him over Marshall. Just my opinion.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 08:50 AM
Nicks is a very good receiver but he is top 5 only in the eyes of giant fans. Nicks is not the only receiver who misses games because on injury. You got to think if Aj green and brandon marshall are putting up those numbers with the Qb's that have been throwing them the ball, imagine how much better they would look in our system with eli. And saying nicks is better than roddy white, megatron, larry, or andre johnson is straight up homer status at its best. I can honestly list about 7 to 8 receivers who are better. Its not that nicks isnt good. Its just that there are a lot of good receivers out there. being a top 10 receiver is like being a top 5 qb.

thanks for "splainin" it better.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Last year all but one WR, Megatron, that had more yardage played 16 games. The year before there where only 3 WR's that didn't play all 16 games that had more yardage.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Meh, i'd take him over Marshall. Just my opinion.

i'd take him over any of 'em just cuz he's a home grown ny giant.

i'd take my brother roger when i got a leak , not because he's a top 5 plumber....

but because he's really good AND he's family.

i'm not knockin" him , you don't gotta be top 5 to be a great giant.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 09:02 AM
i'd take him over any of 'em just cuz he's a home grown ny giant.

i'd take my brother roger when i got a leak , not because he's a top 5 plumber....

but because he's really good AND he's family.

i'm not knockin" him , you don't gotta be top 5 to be a great giant.

exactly. Also because off field issues. I dont think nicks would have 1200 yards receiving with matt moore throwing him the ball. I even remember people saying corey webster was a top 5 corner coming into this season. I think its a fan thing. If a player is good on your team, naturally you want him to be the best and thats how i feel about cruz. Only difference is i am not biased. I wouldnt dare argue eli or jpp being top 5 at their position though

stormblue
10-25-2012, 09:09 AM
Last year all but one WR, Megatron, that had more yardage played 16 games. The year before there where only 3 WR's that didn't play all 16 games that had more yardage.

and none of the other WR's have a #3 WR lining up with them.

most of those other guys are the only thing defenses have to worry
about , and they don't have Eli throwin' it at them.

stick him with AZ and see if he gets Fitz numbers.
or with Carolina or Detroit or anywhere where "the guy" is the "only guy"
that opposing defenses have to worry about , and see what happens.

you people act like top 12 sucks .........cheese and crackers.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 09:17 AM
exactly. Also because off field issues. I dont think nicks would have 1200 yards receiving with matt moore throwing him the ball. I even remember people saying corey webster was a top 5 corner coming into this season. I think its a fan thing. If a player is good on your team, naturally you want him to be the best and thats how i feel about cruz. Only difference is i am not biased. I wouldnt dare argue eli or jpp being top 5 at their position though

me neither.......
a) Eli has proved it.
b) JPP is #1 in back flips
and
c) gettin' tarred n feathered and run out of NYGMB ain't my favorite mug 'o suds.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 09:24 AM
and none of the other WR's have a #3 WR lining up with them.most of those other guys are the only thing defenses have to worryabout , and they don't have Eli throwin' it at them.stick him with AZ and see if he gets Fitz numbers.or with Carolina or Detroit or anywhere where "the guy" is the "only guy"that opposing defenses have to worry about , and see what happens.you people act like top 12 sucks .........cheese and crackers.Well you brought up stats. So all I'm saying is that when he is on the field his numbers do compare to some of those top 5 guys. In 2010 had he not been injured he would have averaged enough yardage to be a top 5 WR and that was with no other great WR on the team.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Well you brought up stats. So all I'm saying is that when he is on the field his numbers do compare to some of those top 5 guys. In 2010 had he not been injured he would have averaged enough yardage to be a top 5 WR and that was with no other great WR on the team.

but he WAS injured , i'm sorry that's part of it.

and no i did not bring up stats .....i corrected them .
#12 is not top 5 .

and stop it already .....you're acting like i don't appreciate what he's done.

sayin' he ain't FITZ or Megatron is not an insult ....

let him catch up to Homer Jones or Toomer or even Cruz
before you give him the yellow jacket.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 09:47 AM
Well you brought up stats. So all I'm saying is that when he is on the field his numbers do compare to some of those top 5 guys. In 2010 had he not been injured he would have averaged enough yardage to be a top 5 WR and that was with no other great WR on the team.

100% wrong.

Brandon lloyd had 1,448 yards
reggie wayne had 1355 yards
greg jennings had 1265 yards
mike wallace had 1257 yards

andre johnson had 1200+ yards and missed 3 games!!!.
Brandon marshall had 1000+ yards and missed a couple of games
calvin johnson had 1100+ yards and missed 1 game.

Other receivers get injured too. You cant speculate what would have happened.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 10:01 AM
are we dealing with a troll here ?

or just somebody who skipped math class.

although there are lotsa numbers in his name.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 10:02 AM
Right, the 1st 4 guys all played 16 games. Andre Johnson would have lead the league had he played in every game if you a arranged out what he did do when he played. Even if Calvin Johnson did play in the one game he missed and you averaged it out he would have had 1195 yards. Do the same thing with Nicks and he wold have had 1,294 yards. Do he same thing with Marshall and he would still have been just under Nicks.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 10:04 AM
Like I said, the only knock on Nicks is that he can't stay healthy for an entire season and that is because of how physical he plays the game. When he is on the field he is absolutely as good as the guys you are putting ahead if him. He proved last year in the post season.

Ruttiger711
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
Like I said, the only knock on Nicks is that he can't stay healthy for an entire season and that is because of how physical he plays the game. When he is on the field he is absolutely as good as the guys you are putting ahead if him. He proved last year in the post season.

+100

Nicks was the core of the WR production in last years playoffs.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
Right, the 1st 4 guys all played 16 games. Andre Johnson would have lead the league had he played in every game if you a arranged out what he did do when he played. Even if Calvin Johnson did play in the one game he missed and you averaged it out he would have had 1195 yards. Do the same thing with Nicks and he wold have had 1,294 yards. Do he same thing with Marshall and he would still have been just under Nicks.

But youR logic is flawed.

1. You dont know if nicks would have had an off game, or if one of those other receivers would have had a break out game. vice versa. What if in those 2 games brandon marshall missed, he had 150 yards in each of them? We have seen many times where guys would break out and have huge games, or have off days.

2. Kenny britt in 2011 had 289 yards in 3 games. "If he played all 16 games" he would have had 1500+ yards on the season. See what i did there buddy?

Your argument for nicks being a top 5 Receiver is that "IF" he played in all his games during the "2010" season, then he would have averaged top 5 yardage in "2010". Therefore, right now (2012) nicks is a top 5 receiver.

Does this make sense to you?

EliDaMANning
10-25-2012, 10:20 AM
Good to see Nicks is getting healthy. He's been MIA all year and we are going to need him for this playoff push.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 10:28 AM
But youR logic is flawed. 1. You dont know if nicks would have had an off game, or if one of those other receivers would have had a break out game. vice versa. What if in those 2 games brandon marshall missed, he had 150 yards in each of them? We have seen many times where guys would break out and have huge games, or have off days.2. Kenny britt in 2011 had 289 yards in 3 games. "If he played all 16 games" he would have had 1500+ yards on the season. See what i did there buddy? Your argument for nicks being a top 5 Receiver is that "IF" he played in all his games during the "2010" season, then he would have averaged top 5 yardage in "2010". Therefore, right now (2012) nicks is a top 5 receiver. Does this make sense to you?I'm not he biggest stats guy but you brought them up. You also mentioned in one post that in 2010 Marshall had 1000+ yards and missed two games. Well Nicks had 1052 yards and missed 3 games. You mentioned Megatron having 1100+ yards and he missed 1 game. Well again, Nicks had 1052 yards and missed 3 games. I only responded to you posting his ranking as a WR based on yards and mentioned him being injured. You said others where injured but I pointed out to you that in 2011 only one WR that finished ahead of Nicks missed one game and the year before only 3 didn't play in all 16. So looking at his stats, which you brought up, if you base it on when he has played he is probably ranked higher than what you posted.

Napstew
10-25-2012, 10:51 AM
There is a lot of Nicks bashing . If I didn't know any better I would think I was on another team's board.

Ruttiger711
10-25-2012, 10:57 AM
There is a lot of Nicks bashing . If I didn't know any better I would think I was on another team's board.

Giants fans are enamored and rightfully so with Victor Cruz and his latest game winning catch. Its a big high that everyone is riding.

For some reason though, for MANY Giants fans here - talking up the player you like means talking down and minimizing their peers on the team...

before this it was Brown and Bradshaw, now its Cruz and Nicks .... wonder what the next will be.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 11:00 AM
ok then B-triple3 , you win ;

he's top 5 in woulda-coulda-shoulda-if-and-n-but.

i'm out of ammo and you've been shot through the heart
and the brain but you just keep comin'.

time to cut and run -
i'm gonna escape this thread before i get hurt.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 11:05 AM
I'm not he biggest stats guy but you brought them up. You also mentioned in one post that in 2010 Marshall had 1000+ yards and missed two games. Well Nicks had 1052 yards and missed 3 games. You mentioned Megatron having 1100+ yards and he missed 1 game. Well again, Nicks had 1052 yards and missed 3 games. I only responded to you posting his ranking as a WR based on yards and mentioned him being injured. You said others where injured but I pointed out to you that in 2011 only one WR that finished ahead of Nicks missed one game and the year before only 3 didn't play in all 16. So looking at his stats, which you brought up, if you base it on when he has played he is probably ranked higher than what you posted.

I want to first start off by saying i am not a huge stat guy also. I judge a mixture of body of work, skill, and athleticism when discussing which players are better than other players. This is why Aj green in my opinion is a top 5 guy. And lets first scratch off any other year but 2010 because last year the 5th most yardage by a receiver was about 1400. Your only legit argument for nicks being a top 5 guy is In 2010.

Now that that is out of the way, lets look at 2010. The problem with your argument is that you are assuming nicks would have kept up his avg yards per game and that all the other receivers would have stayed the same. It is posible nicks would have uped his yards per game, and it is also possibly his yards would have declined. Same goes for the other guys. We dont know how it would have played out. What if the 2 games brandon marshall missed were against bad defenses?

Here is another important factor that you arent taking into consideration. Greg gennings the year before had 1100+ yards and missed 3 games. he was averaging 85 yards per game which is more than nicks has ever averaged. In 2010 his average dropped a little but he still ended up with 1265 yards on the season. Does that mean nicks is better? Again you are basing this off of 1 year. Guys like larry has had back to back 1400 yard season, brandon marshall has had 1300 yard seasons and has always been consistent.

think of this statement because this is your argument. In 2010, "IF" nicks didnt miss 3 games, "assuming his numbers didnt drop, or other players didnt play better". he would have had top 5 numbers. Therefore, in 2012 nicks is a top 5 receiver.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 11:17 AM
You say your not a stat guy but that is how you rank Nicks. You are the one that said he is not a top 5 WR based on where he finished based on yards. That is in fact judging a guy by using stats. I simply said the one knock on him is that he has missed games in every season he has played. Just going on what he averages out you cold assume he would have had better stats. Of course no one knows this for sure but when he plays he has been very consistent so there is no reason to believe he couldn't. So his 1st year as a rookie you thin he was the 40th best WR in the league? You posted that's where he finished implying that that is where you would rank him. Even though he wasn't a starter and even missed a game or two. In 2010 just based on his consistency when he does play I have no reason to believe he couldn't have finished top 5 in yards but we will never know for sure. Last year he was solid again. Going by yards, which you posted, the difference between his place of #12 and #5 was about 200 yards and he also missed a game. This year has a been a hard one for him. He not only missed 3 games but he was not the same player the 1st game of the season and he was absolutely not the same he last two games although he looked much better last week than he did against the 49ers.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 11:37 AM
You have me confused with that other guy. I never once stated he was ranked 40th or that he is not a top 5 guy based on yards. In fact i only really started going deep into stats when you mentioned nicks would have had more yards if he didnt get injured, and because that idea is majorly flawed. You may want to go back and reread our replys. You also just stated that nicks was 200 yards away from that 5th spot last year, which i find funny. Because you based it off of the same point ive been trying to tell you (any of those guys could have had a big game, you never know), and the fact that you could have said the same thing for a lot of receivers in 2010.

I dont just look at stats. Right now welker is probably leading the league in yardage but nicks is a better receiver in my opinion.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 11:49 AM
Sorry, I did have the wrong poster. My point about him being 200 yards off of the top 5 WR's was to prove how stats don't tell the entire story. The point was that all the WR's, not TE's, that where ahead of him played all 16 games. So if one where going by stats to place him, which is not what you where doing, you have to consider that all the WR's ahead of him played in all 16 games except for the #1 WR last year and he only had 200 yards less than the #5 WR. By the way, all those numbers I put for 2010 I did the same math for the other WR's that missed games. I know, maybe one of them could have went way over their average, we will never know.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 11:58 AM
Sorry, I did have the wrong poster. My point about him being 200 yards off of the top 5 WR's was to prove how stats don't tell the entire story. The point was that all the WR's, not TE's, that where ahead of him played all 16 games. So if one where going by stats to place him, which is not what you where doing, you have to consider that all the WR's ahead of him played in all 16 games except for the #1 WR last year and he only had 200 yards less than the #5 WR. By the way, all those numbers I put for 2010 I did the same math for the other WR's that missed games. I know, maybe one of them could have went way over their average, we will never know.

its all good. to tell you the truth this whole thing is based on opinions. And who is your top 5 by the way? I am not going to try to convince you who is better than who. I am just curious.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 12:12 PM
Eh, I'm not good at making those lists. Truth is you could make a top 10 and mix those ten a bunch of ways. I see Nicks as a dominating player when healthy.

dezzzR
10-25-2012, 12:19 PM
Hope the giants can really get Bennett going. A td and a few catches against his former team will give this kid a ton of confidence.

With our WRs its pick your poison. Cant double Cruz and Nicks all game. This is good news indeed.

Marvelousmik
10-25-2012, 12:19 PM
fair enough and i do too

BillTheGreek
10-25-2012, 11:46 PM
Great news !.....Lets hope he stays Healty......We need him ! He always makes those Great catches, when we need them !

Go Giants !

Abby Manning
10-25-2012, 11:56 PM
Why is there 2 threads exactly the same with different titles, from the same op? Still trying to figure out these new boards, and why are thread titles towards the top in bold? What's the little envelope mean with an arrow?