PDA

View Full Version : whenever an opposing team says "we beat ourselves" or "we gave them the game"....

NJBLUE
10-24-2012, 05:32 PM
It means, "We were powerless to stop you and we are embaressed and ashamed and the only way to restore our pride is to say NO YOU DID NOT SOUNDLY DEFEATED US, BUT RATHER I ALLOWED YOU TO BE ME! YOU DO NOT POSSESS THE POWER TO DEFEAT ME UNLESS I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO DEFEAT ME OR GIVE YOU THIS WIN FOR NO OTHER REASON THEN THE SIMPLE FACT I FELT LIKE IT!

To make themselves feel like a man, instead of saying, "Yeah, they got us today, but we'll get them next time." You would rather soothe your wounded pride and say, "Nah, they and beat us, WE beat ourselves!" I just laugh because I know there ego is wounded, LOL!

Toadofsteel
10-24-2012, 05:33 PM
Ironically the ONE team that didn't do that last year was the cowboys, and they came back with a vengeance. Hopefully we can do the same on Sunday...

egyptian420
10-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Honestly...there are games that we just "gave"....I hate to say it because at the end of the day, the better team wins, but some games you know you just Should win. Our last game against the Titans was one of those game in my opinion.

Flip Empty
10-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Giants fans use that phrase as well.

GMan-67
10-24-2012, 09:41 PM
opposing fans spewing that stuff is one thing , that i expect ... oh the refs and oh we gave it away ... i probably said that after Philly

but when players, who are supposed to have a no excuses attitude are consistently saying stuff like this ... well i think it speaks to the leadership or lack of leadership on their teams ... GB, SF, NE now the Skins ... and others

BParcells777
10-24-2012, 09:47 PM
One wonders why all these teams allow us to beat them......are they Masochists???

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 09:54 PM
I think the Giants gave the game away to the Eagles a couple of years ago when they had a big lead.

Crovaz
10-24-2012, 10:08 PM
I think the Giants gave the game away to the Eagles a couple of years ago when they had a big lead.

If our hall of fame safety, Kenny Phillips, actually makes a decent attempt at tackling Brent Celek, that comeback probably never happens.

Rat_bastich
10-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Many things factor into a win...luck, breaks and skill. Every game in every sport has all of those factors in them. If someone wants to believe they beat themselves then fine, but they also need to assume when they win that their opponent beat themselves as well.

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 10:19 PM
If our hall of fame safety, Kenny Phillips, actually makes a decent attempt at tackling Brent Celek, that comeback probably never happens.Or if Manningham doesn't fumble the ball when no one touched him. Or if Dodge kicks the ball the way TC told him to. Or if they don't let Vick get that huge scramble. Or if they where ready for that on sides kick. There is no way you can blame one guy who does happen to be one of the better Safeties in the league for that loss.

Marvelousmik
10-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Honestly...there are games that we just "gave"....I hate to say it because at the end of the day, the better team wins, but some games you know you just Should win. Our last game against the Titans was one of those game in my opinion.

+1 i remember that game well

Buddy333
10-24-2012, 10:30 PM
+1 i remember that game wellThat's another one. They turned the ball over twice in the red zone and where called for multiple personal fouls.

Captain Chaos
10-25-2012, 03:21 AM
One wonders why all these teams allow us to beat them......are they Masochists???

Sadomasochism...

Morehead State
10-25-2012, 09:41 AM
It means, "We were powerless to stop you and we are embaressed and ashamed and the only way to restore our pride is to say NO YOU DID NOT SOUNDLY DEFEATED US, BUT RATHER I ALLOWED YOU TO BE ME! YOU DO NOT POSSESS THE POWER TO DEFEAT ME UNLESS I GIVE YOU PERMISSION TO DEFEAT ME OR GIVE YOU THIS WIN FOR NO OTHER REASON THEN THE SIMPLE FACT I FELT LIKE IT!

To make themselves feel like a man, instead of saying, "Yeah, they got us today, but we'll get them next time." You would rather soothe your wounded pride and say, "Nah, they and beat us, WE beat ourselves!" I just laugh because I know there ego is wounded, LOL!
Some of you guys take this "we beat ourselves" comment way too personally. No one is attacking our team when they say that.
It only means that they made a lot of unforced errors (ie. penalties and turnovers) and squandered opportunities.
You guys need to calm down with this stuff.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
my dad once told me ;

"now son , life if tough and every
now and then you're gonna get your aas kicked.
which is bad enough.....
but admitting it is just unforgivable.

Parademon
10-25-2012, 11:31 PM
Some of you guys take this "we beat ourselves" comment way too personally. No one is attacking our team when they say that.
It only means that they made a lot of unforced errors (ie. penalties and turnovers) and squandered opportunities.
You guys need to calm down with this stuff.

Sometimes it does mean what you say..but players like Clay Mathews & a few others stated that the better team lost! That's totally disrespecting the other teams effort & play-making skills that contributed to the win. The Giants brought their A+ game & GB didn't, they got stomped!

Skins players, including the "annointed one" said that the better team lost just this Sunday! I've never seen one team's victories both in the regular season & the playoffs/SB, so disrespected by the opposing team's player/players/HC/Media/Fans, like we do!

It's like other teams & their fans can't fathom that we have actually stomped their so called "superior" teams on our way to 2 SB titles. Pats were never "Lucky" to win their 3 SBs but us? Luckiest 2 SB wins eva!

Morehead State
10-26-2012, 08:37 AM
Sometimes it does mean what you say..but players like Clay Mathews & a few others stated that the better team lost! That's totally disrespecting the other teams effort & play-making skills that contributed to the win. The Giants brought their A+ game & GB didn't, they got stomped!

Skins players, including the "annointed one" said that the better team lost just this Sunday! I've never seen one team's victories both in the regular season & the playoffs/SB, so disrespected by the opposing team's player/players/HC/Media/Fans, like we do!

It's like other teams & their fans can't fathom that we have actually stomped their so called "superior" teams on our way to 2 SB titles. Pats were never "Lucky" to win their 3 SBs but us? Luckiest 2 SB wins eva!

I have no idea if anyone said "the best team lost". As I said in another thread there is a huge difference between "we beat ourselves" and "the better team lost". When Wade Phillips said that the better team lost after the 2007 playoff game with us, he was whining like a girl.
My point is that when teams say "we beat ourselves" it only means that they believe they made unforced errors or squandered opportunities. It's common sports lingo and by itself isn't an insult to the other team.
So I guess if you add other comments they can mean something else. But that's not the subject of this thread.

BParcells777
10-26-2012, 09:27 AM

Be carefull Tuck and other Giants have sometimes used this lame excuse themselves........its never comes off as kosher

ashleymarie
10-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Ouch. That was an ugly game.

Fans lie to themselves all the time. Not on purpose, it's the way we roll as fans.