PDA

View Full Version : Jernigan will be a star!

Shockeystays08
10-24-2012, 09:18 PM
For another team. It's pretty obvious the Giants have little interest in developing his skills. For him to be inactive every week so RR can catch punts and Barden can get a catch here and a block there speaks loudly. With Cruz in a contract year you would think they would like to see what JJ has to offer for a backup plan in case we can't resign Cruz( although I think they will). JJ has good hands (I know he struggled with some punts early in his rookie year and had a flub in Pre season but have not seen him drop a pass )great speed and quickness and is elusive after the catch. He could be great on quick hits and bubble screens but is just wasteing away making over $400k a season to do nothing. He was way more impressive than Randall Cobb in college but the Pack have figured out what they can do with him. The Giants on the other hand can't get any production out of JJ. I was reading the comments from camp about how good he looked and the great plays he was making ( he had the most Top Five Plays from camp) and Eli 's comments about seeing some special talents JJ has. Write it down! He will be a star one day for another team and the Giants who spent a third round pick on him will look foolish.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 09:24 PM
For another team. It's pretty obvious the Giants have little interest in developing his skills. For him to be inactive every week so RR can catch punts and Barden can get a catch here and a block there speaks loudly. With Cruz in a contract year you would think they would like to see what JJ has to offer for a backup plan in case we can't resign Cruz( although I think they will). JJ has good hands (I know he struggled with some punts early in his rookie year and had a flub in Pre season but have not seen him drop a pass )great speed and quickness and is elusive after the catch. He could be great on quick hits and bubble screens but is just wasteing away making over $400k a season to do nothing. He was way more impressive than Randall Cobb in college but the Pack have figured out what they can do with him. The Giants on the other hand can't get any production out of JJ. I was reading the comments from camp about how good he looked and the great plays he was making ( he had the most Top Five Plays from camp) and Eli 's comments about seeing some special talents JJ has. Write it down! He will be a star one day for another team and the Giants who spent a third round pick on him will look foolish.

been saying this for months...although i still think he'll eventually get a chance with Giants

penguinfarmer
10-24-2012, 09:33 PM
Pack offense is far more suited to handle a guy coming out of a college spread.

Shockeystays08
10-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Then what was the point of spending a 3rd on him if he is not a good fit with the offense we run. I realize they wanted a replacement for Steve Smith in the slot and the development of Cruz shot holes in that need. But to totally shelve the guy seems almost idiotic! Cruz, and JJ together on the field in some capacity should be a bigger concern for opposing defenses than Cruz and Barden. You have a good point about the Pack and Cobb but geez Gilbride could come up with something productive for the kid to do besides take up space. He showed in camp what he has to offer but never got a decent shot in preseason games. He always was in with the scrubs and Carr. I think JJ got one series with Eli in preseason and was targeted and he got mugged in the end zone . After that it seems the Giants put him on the back burner. He continued to impress in camp after that but never got work with Eli. If Eli doesn't like to throw to short receivers why draft the kid? With Nicks, Hixon and RR being the big targets why add Barden to that mix also, why not have another Cruz type receiver active than than overloading with the big targets who are basically just riding the bench.

GMan-67
10-24-2012, 09:56 PM
ummm, not to be captain obvious, but he can only dress on game day if he surpasses Ramses Barden on the depth chart ... we are certainly not sitting out Reuben Randle ... JJ was dressed in the games Nicks sat out and caught a couple, but no RAC and nothing deep

to me, the Giants are the easiest team to be with as a young WR ... Eli doesnt care, if you get open, he's coming your way ... the only negative being with the Giants is that we do an excellent job of finding talent, so you got to beat out some very good pllayers

but JJ is still young, so let's A. not start the BUST, CUT stuff like we did with Barden and B. let's not put him in the HOF or on another team just yet

in the NFL you can go from after thought to super star in 3 weeks, so i know it's hard, but be PATIENT

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Then what was the point of spending a 3rd on him if he is not a good fit with the offense we run. I realize they wanted a replacement for Steve Smith in the slot and the development of Cruz shot holes in that need. But to totally shelve the guy seems almost idiotic! Cruz, and JJ together on the field in some capacity should be a bigger concern for opposing defenses than Cruz and Barden. You have a good point about the Pack and Cobb but geez Gilbride could come up with something productive for the kid to do besides take up space. He showed in camp what he has to offer but never got a decent shot in preseason games. He always was in with the scrubs and Carr. I think JJ got one series with Eli in preseason and was targeted and he got mugged in the end zone . After that it seems the Giants put him on the back burner. He continued to impress in camp after that but never got work with Eli. If Eli doesn't like to throw to short receivers why draft the kid? With Nicks, Hixon and RR being the big targets why add Barden to that mix also, why not have another Cruz type receiver active than than overloading with the big targets who are basically just riding the bench.

you have just said what i have been trying to defend on these boards for months plus a couple new thoughts...glad to see someone else sees what I see

Crovaz
10-24-2012, 10:05 PM
This reminds me of the cut Mario Manningham threads, after his rookie season. Not saying the guy is going to be a star but lets see what he can do before we label him. If it wasn't for Cruz's emergence last year, he's probably our slot receiver. Unfortunately for him, he's stuck behind one of the best wide outs in the game and probably won't see much playing time unless someone goes down or he surpasses someone on the depth chart.

Can we please stop with the "If he's not a pro-bowler by his 2nd year, he's a bust" threads? The stupidity gets old. Just enjoy the season for f's sakes.

Rat_bastich
10-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Then what was the point of spending a 3rd on him if he is not a good fit with the offense we run.

The intention for Jernigan was to bring him in as the slot receiver last year. However, Cruz stepped in and took that spot and never looked back. They brought Jernigan in because of the loss of Steve Smith. When Cruz became what he is now then they could turn their full attention away from him. This year they needed another flanker and brought in Randle...and pretty much the same situation as last year happened. Hixon stepped it up and so did Barden. Though, I think Randle will be the long term fix eventually.

Shockeystays08
10-24-2012, 10:18 PM
This reminds me of the cut Mario Manningham threads, after his rookie season. Not saying the guy is going to be a star but lets see what he can do before we label him. If it wasn't for Cruz's emergence last year, he's probably our slot receiver. Unfortunately for him, he's stuck behind one of the best wide outs in the game and probably won't see much playing time unless someone goes down or he surpasses someone on the depth chart.

Can we please stop with the "If he's not a pro-bowler by his 2nd year, he's a bust" threads? The stupidity gets old. Just enjoy the season for f's sakes.

Your reply indicates my whole point flew right over your head! The other replies seem to realize where I am coming from for the most part.I am not saying he is a bust, the Giants may be a bust in not knowing what to do with him. I also don 't recall saying he is gonna be a future Pro Bowlet. Re read my post and try to comprehend.

fansince69
10-24-2012, 10:20 PM
Your reply indicates my whole point flew right over your head! The other replies seem to realize where I am coming from for the most part.I am not saying he is a bust, the Giants may be a bust in not knowing what to do with him. I also don 't recall saying he is gonna be a future Pro Bowlet. Re read my post and try to comprehend.

thats not what he said...he is agreeing with you...reread what he said

Shockeystays08
10-24-2012, 10:34 PM
[QUOTE=fansince69;549667]thats not what he said...he is agreeing with you...reread what he said[/QUOTE

I re read it. I see no agreement with my points! I never said JJ should be cut ( reference Manningham)I think JJ should be utilized more. How does that imply he should be cut. I think if this keeps up he's gonna tell the Giants when his contracts up to kiss his %^# and he will go to a team that will showcase what his game offers. i never indicated he shouldn't be stuck behind Cruz, I never said JJ was gonna be a Pro Bowler. In what freaking way was he agreeing with me? And then he throws in the stupidity comment.

PRGiant
10-25-2012, 02:55 AM
If he's not showing it on practice, why put him on the field. You gotta eran it.

Captain Chaos
10-25-2012, 02:58 AM
Everyone wants to give up on these young guys, he's talented and should get better as time goes on. That said, he has a couple of guys ahead of him that have proved that they can get the job done given a chance. The WR core on this team is crazy deep!

Giantterp
10-25-2012, 07:39 AM
I watch every minute of every Giant game, and I have seen him maybe in 10 plays. I love how people can make a decision on him based upon stories in practice.

Almost every team in the NFL has a fast guy with talent sitting on the bench. Something tells me that if he was so special, he'd get on the field a little bit more somehow...

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 07:52 AM

I'm just curious. How can you say with any certainty that the Giants are not developing him? That is what they do in this organization. They did it with Sinorice Moss until their collective eyes bled. They're still doing it with Ramses Barden. Don't you think they watch these guys at practice and have a better idea than we do about where they are on the developmental continuum?

What does Cruz's contract have to do with whether Jernigan gets any playing time or not?

Just because hes not broken through yet doesn't mean it still can't happen. He will be here through his rookie contract. When he gets an opportunity, he needs to make the most of it. Just like Randle has done.

Gimaniac
10-25-2012, 08:35 AM
The only way JJ sees the field is if 3 WRs go down with injury.

I'm not a fan of that scenario.

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 08:45 AM
The only way JJ sees the field is if 3 WRs go down with injury. I'm not a fan of that scenario. Who do they sit so Jernigan is active?

Redeyejedi
10-25-2012, 08:51 AM
Then what was the point of spending a 3rd on him if he is not a good fit with the offense we run. I realize they wanted a replacement for Steve Smith in the slot and the development of Cruz shot holes in that need. But to totally shelve the guy seems almost idiotic! Cruz, and JJ together on the field in some capacity should be a bigger concern for opposing defenses than Cruz and Barden. You have a good point about the Pack and Cobb but geez Gilbride could come up with something productive for the kid to do besides take up space. He showed in camp what he has to offer but never got a decent shot in preseason games. He always was in with the scrubs and Carr. I think JJ got one series with Eli in preseason and was targeted and he got mugged in the end zone . After that it seems the Giants put him on the back burner. He continued to impress in camp after that but never got work with Eli. If Eli doesn't like to throw to short receivers why draft the kid? With Nicks, Hixon and RR being the big targets why add Barden to that mix also, why not have another Cruz type receiver active than than overloading with the big targets who are basically just riding the bench.The Giants picked JJ to be the slot receiver they werent planning on Cruz becoming the best slot receiver in the NFL

Redeyejedi
10-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Who do they sit so Jernigan is active? He is a victim of Cruz's success. Giants drafted him to play the slot Cruz developed and he was put on the back burner. On top of that he isnt better then Hixon, Randle or Barden as a WR or Special teams player so why would he be active. Id rather put Hixon,Barden Randle or Bennett in the slot in 4 WR sets

Mercury
10-25-2012, 09:07 AM
Who said the Giants have given up on him?
1. He is still on our roster.
2. He is practicing daily.
3. No one ahead on the depth chart is currently injured. (Knock on wood.)
4. Next man up. He's got to be ready if and when his number is called.

And even if he doesn't get any playing time, I think we are all feeling just fine with it. It means we have better talent on the field.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 09:18 AM
Wilson returning kicks...rookie
Randle returning punts......rookie
JJ....inactive.....hmmmm

RagTime Blue
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
Who said the Giants have given up on him?
1. He is still on our roster.
2. He is practicing daily.
3. No one ahead on the depth chart is currently injured. (Knock on wood.)
4. Next man up. He's got to be ready if and when his number is called.

And even if he doesn't get any playing time, I think we are all feeling just fine with it. It means we have better talent on the field.

With all respect to OP, I have to agree with this.

It would be one thing if our receivers were stinking up the joint, and the coaches were stubbornly sticking with bums. We know that isn't the case here.

Roster spots are precious, and the fact that he has one says something about the coaches believing he's an asset.

GMENAGAIN
10-25-2012, 09:25 AM
The Giants picked JJ to be the slot receiver they werent planning on Cruz becoming the best slot receiver in the NFL

Exactly. The Giants could not have foreseen that an UDFA like Cruz would become a superstar at Jernigan's position when they drafted him.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 09:27 AM
Exactly. The Giants could not have foreseen that an UDFA like Cruz would become a superstar at Jernigan's position when they drafted him.
He still had his chance to return punts or kick offs. He obvioulsy isnt quite up to speed if the rooks are beating him out there as well....

GMENAGAIN
10-25-2012, 09:31 AM
He still had his chance to return punts or kick offs. He obvioulsy isnt quite up to speed if the rooks are beating him out there as well....

I agree with you . . . . just responding to the notion that the Giants made a mistake drafting him at that position . . .

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 09:33 AM
He is a victim of Cruz's success. Giants drafted him to play the slot Cruz developed and he was put on the back burner. On top of that he isnt better then Hixon, Randle or Barden as a WR or Special teams player so why would he be active. Id rather put Hixon,Barden Randle or Bennett in the slot in 4 WR sets I would argue he's the victim of Hixon's success

CowboysSuck
10-25-2012, 09:37 AM

What exactly is the difference between a college "spread" and a college team that runs regular shotgun offense?

CowboysSuck
10-25-2012, 09:38 AM
I would argue he's the victim of Hixon's success

I would argue that he might just have gotten the **** end of the stick. When he was given his opportunites to make plays..he didnt.

And theres so many talented WR's on this team we have no room for an unproven, undersized guy, to be on the field.

although I must say he hasnt gotten a real chance to prove himself and he could be great, who knows. or he could be the next you know who. Sin' Moss

GIANTSACK
10-25-2012, 09:42 AM

We spent alot of high draft pick on guys whos not going to play for yahoo. Terrell Thomas. Clint sintim. Chad Jones. I know it's sucks but that's knife of the nfl

BigBlue1971
10-25-2012, 09:57 AM

i think the Giants have the utmost interest in developing JJs skills. why would they not want this guy to succeed? he wouldve been long gone if there was no hope of of him developing!

the Giants are giving him a chance now its just that so many others are in front of him.

id love to see JJ get the playing time but where will he play and how much? you cant take Cruz, Nicks and Hixon off the field. Barden and Randle are also showing more than JJ. hes in a tough situation with the Giants. most teams dont have this type depth at receiver.

i hope he does break out sometimes in the near future so we wont see him in another uniform. he still has a coupla years left on his contract so time is on his side!

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 10:09 AM
I'm just curious. How can you say with any certainty that the Giants are not developing him? That is what they do in this organization. They did it with Sinorice Moss until their collective eyes bled. They're still doing it with Ramses Barden. Don't you think they watch these guys at practice and have a better idea than we do about where they are on the developmental continuum?

What does Cruz's contract have to do with whether Jernigan gets any playing time or not?

Just because hes not broken through yet doesn't mean it still can't happen. He will be here through his rookie contract. When he gets an opportunity, he needs to make the most of it. Just like Randle has done.

Well, Victors contract is coming to an end. I hope and believe we will resign him. However, it seems like the Giants might want to get Jernigan on the field to see if he would be a capable replacement in case the can't resign Cruz. Also if JJ does show the play making ability he displayed in college it could help at the bargain table if Cruz's agent plays hardball. In addition if we can't resign Cruz and JJ gets quality reps without much production we may need to look for a backup plan for the slot in the 2013 draft. that's what it has to do with it. Just an opinion.

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
i think the Giants have the utmost interest in developing JJs skills. why would they not want this guy to succeed? he wouldve been long gone if there was no hope of of him developing!

the Giants are giving him a chance now its just that so many others are in front of him.

id love to see JJ get the playing time but where will he play and how much? you cant take Cruz, Nicks and Hixon off the field.
Barden and Randle are also showing more than JJ. hes in a tough situation with the Giants. most teams dont have this type depth at receiver.

i hope he does break out sometimes in the near future so we wont see him in another uniform. he still has a coupla years left on his contract so time is on his side!

Good response, We have Cruz and Nicks as starting wideouts, Hixon number 3. if one of those 3 goes down we have Barden or Randle to be the next big body to stand up. But why both? If Cruz goes down in a game who goes to the slot with the chance to be effective? The thought process here is JJ is the backup slot guy. but yet he would not be available because he is inactive. If Cruz is out for a game and JJ would take his spot why not be prepared for that in a game rather than have an abundance of non slot guys be in the picture.

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 10:36 AM
Well, Victors contract is coming to an end. I hope and believe we will resign him. However, it seems like the Giants might want to get Jernigan on the field to see if he would be a capable replacement in case the can't resign Cruz. Also if JJ does show the play making ability he displayed in college it could help at the bargain table if Cruz's agent plays hardball. In addition if we can't resign Cruz and JJ gets quality reps without much production we may need to look for a backup plan for the slot in the 2013 draft. that's what it has to do with it. Just an opinion. If Cruz decided to hold out tomorrow, they would not look to Jernigan for relief ahead of Hixon, Randle, and Barden.

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 10:54 AM
If Cruz decided to hold out tomorrow, they would not look to Jernigan for relief ahead of Hixon, Randle, and Barden.

Then he is not Cruz's backup. So we need to eliminate that line of thinking.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 10:55 AM
Then he is not Cruz's backup. So we need to eliminate that line of thinking.
he's nobodies back up. He cant even crack the line up ahead of two rookies for return duties....

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Then he is not Cruz's backup. So we need to eliminate that line of thinking. He hasn't done anything yet to warrant that designation

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 11:02 AM
he's nobodies back up. He cant even crack the line up ahead of two rookies for return duties....
Newsflash, he is listed as Cruz's backup. He is also viewed as Cruz's backup by the majority on this board.

moosedrool
10-25-2012, 11:06 AM
I know it's unlikely, but hopefully some WR needy team offers a draft pick for JJ. We don't need him.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 11:07 AM
Newsflash, he is listed as Cruz's backup. He is also viewed as Cruz's backup by the majority on this board.

position wise yes....as a slot WR. As far as depth at WR.....he aint getting in if CRuz was to go down. they would Barden and Randle more. Just my opinion.
If he was showing any flashes of moves, speed, ball skills, he would be returning punts or kicks. Just my 2 cents. Not saying you are wrong its just my opinion. I hope the kid breaks out soometime. I am not against him.

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 11:16 AM
He hasn't done anything yet to warrant that designation

He hasn't done anything because he hasn't been given the opportunity. It's hard to prove your worth when your inactive or standing on the sideline with your helmet off! He showed out in camp and that earned him virtually no quality reps in a game including Pre season. Randle and Barden Were less impressive in camp by all accounts but were given more game opportunities in preseason games and made good on those. JJ was stuck working with Carr and the scrubs. Anyway over an out on this subject. I'm sticking to my guns! JJ will be a star for another team. Just an opinion, we all have em!

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 11:18 AM

He is not Cruz's backup on the depth chart, Randle is. Jernigan is next behind Randle

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 11:19 AM
position wise yes....as a slot WR. As far as depth at WR.....he aint getting in if CRuz was to go down. they would Barden and Randle more. Just my opinion.
If he was showing any flashes of moves, speed, ball skills, he would be returning punts or kicks. Just my 2 cents. Not saying you are wrong its just my opinion. I hope the kid breaks out soometime. I am not against him.

I hear you and respect your opinion!

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 11:20 AM
He hasn't done anything because he hasn't been given the opportunity. It's hard to prove your worth when your inactive or standing on the sideline with your helmet off! He showed out in camp and that earned him virtually no quality reps in a game including Pre season. Randle and Barden Were less impressive in camp by all accounts but were given more game opportunities in preseason games and made good on those. JJ was stuck working with Carr and the scrubs. Anyway over an out on this subject. I'm sticking to my guns! JJ will be a star for another team. Just an opinion, we all have em!

What have you seen in Jernigan's performance since he's been here to suggest he's ready to be Cruz's back up or anyone's nbackup for that matter.

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 11:24 AM
He is not Cruz's backup on the depth chart, Randle is. Jernigan is next behind Randle

Randle in the slot over JJ is funny. I watched both for years in college. Quickness and elusiveness are not his strong points. But thanks for clueing me in on the depth chart. The last one I eyeballed had RR behind Nicks I think but I have been wrong many times before!

Shockeystays08
10-25-2012, 11:26 AM
What have you seen in Jernigan's performance since he's been here to suggest he's ready to be Cruz's back up or anyone's nbackup for that matter.

I think I have been over that already.

giantsfan420
10-25-2012, 11:30 AM
imo, i actually thought he looked pretty good in preseason, he was running good routes and seemed to be a shifty type wes welker/percy harvin type guy. while i can appreciate that we have a ton of talent at wr, i dont get how that would mean we wouldnt try to utilize JJ's unique skill set.

on a diff team, they'd find a way to use him like he was used in college. guy made runs and catches outta the backfield, was a wildcat qb, as well as an extremely dangerous wr. u know a team like NE would find ways to use him.
that would be the one small knock id have with kg and it isnt a knock really at all. guy runs an awesome offense it just seems sometimes we let good talent sit bc we cant create ways to use them

giantsfan420
10-25-2012, 11:31 AM
for example, who knows maybe a guy like JJ running an end around for 20 yds and threatening him on rb handoffs like other teams do to keep the backside honest, that coulda helped out the last ranked run game...dunno just thinking aloud

timmytimm3
10-25-2012, 11:36 AM
Possibly when Wilson starts getting a lot more carries, JJ will take over on kick returns? Jernigan had some decent returns in the Superbowl from what I remember

dezzzR
10-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Jernigan will do well here if given the chance. Hes behind a lot of talent right now. No reason to bash him for it.

SackingMyths
10-25-2012, 12:31 PM
JJ blew any chance to be on the active gameday roster for two straight seasons when he couldn't be counted on to catch a punt in preseason games. If he'd taken advantage of his opportunities, it'd be him returning punts for us and Randle would be the one who's inactive each week. He's really got no one to blame but himself.

David Wilson's earning his playing time on offense through STs...same path that JJ was asked to take to earn a piece of the action. Proof that -- regardless of your draft status -- you won't just get handed a big role on this offense. Gotta earn dem stripes!

ny06
10-25-2012, 12:35 PM
A few years ago there was a thread very similar to this, but instead of JJ it was Sinorice Moss.

Toadofsteel
10-25-2012, 12:46 PM
I could see JJ back to return kickoffs again if Wilson ever had to be called upon to take a significant number of carries. Other than that he isn't even active that much anymore. Good depth to have, but unfortunately we can't even afford to activate him at this point other than injury.

That said, if, god forbid, Cruz had to miss a game, we'd most likely see JJ do a poor man's impression of Cruz, the way Barden and Randle have for Nicks and Hixon... The way I see it, Nicks, Cruz, and Hixon are our "starting" receivers, and the other 3 are "understudies" essentially. Barden is linked with Nicks, Randle with Hixon, and Jernigan with Cruz... That way each of the backups only has to worry about learning that particular position on this already complex offense, and allows us to substitute for an injured receiver without having to heavily modify our offense...

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 12:59 PM
Randle in the slot over JJ is funny. I watched both for years in college. Quickness and elusiveness are not his strong points. But thanks for clueing me in on the depth chart. The last one I eyeballed had RR behind Nicks I think but I have been wrong many times before!

Well, the one on the Team's Home Page shows Jernigan behind Randle, behind Cruz. BTW they don't use the term "slot receiver", just WR

fansince69
10-25-2012, 01:16 PM
Well, the one on the Team's Home Page shows Jernigan behind Randle, behind Cruz. BTW they don't use the term "slot receiver", just WR

RF don't kill me here if I am wrong...but don't most depth charts just list 2 receivers....in that case it would make sense if they are listed that way.....but the second we go to 3 wide out and someone moves into the slot that would probably change.......It seems JJ probably has a better skill set to replace an injured Cruz than Barden or Randle