PDA

View Full Version : Corey Webster says Giants DBs plan to be more aggressive on Sunday

drewz
10-24-2012, 10:39 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/giants_defensive_backs_plan_to.html

When Corey Webster watches tape of the Giants’ season-opening loss, he sees a Giants secondary that wasn’t primed to stop the Cowboys’ quick passing attack. “We weren’t aggressive. We weren’t putting our hands on them,” the veteran cornerback said. “I didn’t do it myself, (and) as a team, we were just kind of passive, kind of letting them dictate what they wanted to do to us. That’s not how we’ve been successful around here. That’s not how we’ve been successful the last couple of games around here.”
The stats explain Webster’s point: Quarterback Tony Romo passed for 307 yards and three touchdowns, with a season-best 75.9 percent completion rate. Kevin Ogletree looked like a Pro Bowler, with eight catches for 114 yards and two touchdowns -- while he has just 134 receiving yards in the five games since.
There were reasons for the Giants’ less-aggressive play in that game. Prince Amukamara was sidelined with a high ankle sprain, and Michael Coe, who started opposite Webster, could not finish the game due to a hamstring injury. Jayron Hosley, the nickel corner, was playing in the first regular-season game of his pro career.
But in the weeks since, the Giants have adjusted, as Webster indicated. Though the secondary has been without safety Kenny Phillips, sidelined with a knee injury, the unit has still found cohesion, players say. That’s given the cornerbacks the chance to play more aggressively.
“I don’t think the defense was designed for us to do it. We were doing a lot of bailing, a lot of running off,” Webster said, referring to earlier in the season. “We’ve changed things. More press coverage, we’re pressing a little bit more now, and I think that’s helping.”
Amukamara said the change happened around the Week 4 Eagles game. Webster, who prefers to play in press coverage, said defensive coordinator Perry Fewell saw him pressing a lot on the back side, “so that’s kind of how it just happened.”
The cornerbacks have the freedom to press within certain defensive calls, which they have taken advantage of, but both Webster and Amukamara said the coaches have also been using more of such coverages.
Romo and the Cowboys can get the ball out quickly -- Romo is averaging 2.69 seconds from snap to release this season, according to football statistics web site Pro Football Focus -- and did so against the Giants in Week 1. The Giants think more aggressive play this time around can help.
“We hope that if we do press, that it can disrupt the timing,” Amukamara said. “(The Cowboys) completed a lot of short passes, a lot of slants, so we’ve definitely been breaking down that film. We’ve been putting in coverages that allow us to be a little bit more aggressive.”
The slants gave Giants a headache in Week 1, leading coach Tom Coughlin to groan, “like we’ve never seen a slant before.” Ogletree ran many of those slants, and also beat Webster on a double move for a 40-yard touchdown. Hosley said they are making adjustments and putting in coverages that will allow them to play both of those routes better.
The changes the Giants secondary has made over the past few weeks, toward more aggressive play, have not gone unnoticed down in Dallas.
“They’ve gotten better,” Romo said. “They’re doing some stuff that can give you some trouble if you’re not prepared for it. We’re looking into some stuff we’re going to try and do in order to match up. It’ll be a good test for us.”

Thank god, I know I wasn't the only one who was pissed at how soft the Giants DBs were playing in Week 1.

Rudyy
10-24-2012, 10:49 PM
I've been screaming at them to be more aggressive since last year.

TheAnalyst
10-24-2012, 11:00 PM
Cool, let them know that so they can take advantage of it. Also, this is the 2nd time CWeb has taken a jab at Fewells defensive strategy. I agree though, we should of been more aggressive.

SackingMyths
10-24-2012, 11:08 PM
It's like every year they forget that C-Web is a press corner and that's the only way he's able to be effective.

At least PF realized what wasn't working and fixed it.

Moke
10-24-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm hoping they are finally going to play aggressive, including you C-web

egyptian420
10-25-2012, 12:16 AM
I hope so Webster.... The last thing I want is that punk Dez torching you all over the place

Kase-1
10-25-2012, 12:21 AM
Im a Fewell supporter, but its about damned time we worked our DBs specialties. Webster turned the corner and went from average to one of the best once we changed to a more aggressive and man/press based system. When we drafted Prince every talking head said his bread and butter was man/press coverage not zone. Hopefully 'aggressive' will translate to press/man

Yes we've been winning but we're giving up a TON of yards, I know I know im being spoiled

Captain Chaos
10-25-2012, 03:15 AM
Webster was at the eye of the storm in that 1st Dallas game. They need to give that D line a chance to drop Romo and the day will be much more fun.

Mercury
10-25-2012, 09:22 AM
Press coverage is the way to beat the quick pass/slant, which is often used against us to neutralize our pass rush.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 09:25 AM
the question is do the Boys come out with t he same game plan with quick drops and slants?? Or do they do something dif.
I guess they will take what the D gives. I am interested to see how the first few series plays out.....

RagTime Blue
10-25-2012, 09:26 AM
You have to be able to mix it up in the NFL. . .show different looks and keep the offense guessing.

If you're a one-trick pony, you're a dead horse.

TheAnalyst
10-25-2012, 09:52 AM
You know what works best against the man/press DBs? Doubles moves, pump fakes and a scrambling QB, which Dallas can do. It seems like everytime we play them, even in the wins, the secondary blows at least one coverage deep for a TD with no one on a Dez or Austin.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 10:02 AM
The good news is that this time sound they have Prince playing. The bad news is I'm not so sure that KP will play.

dnotch121
10-25-2012, 10:06 AM
How come we already played everyone in the NFCE and is about to play our 4th NFCE game when the rest only played 1 and it was against us?

stormblue
10-25-2012, 10:10 AM
It's like every year they forget that C-Web is a press corner and that's the only way he's able to be effective.

which is coach speak for "he can't cover so he has to mug them hoping the pass rush gets there in time"
but that's not exactly a military secret...

dnotch121
10-25-2012, 10:12 AM
the question is do the Boys come out with t he same game plan with quick drops and slants?? Or do they do something dif.
I guess they will take what the D gives. I am interested to see how the first few series plays out..... well given the fact that the lost their starting center i would think they waana get rid of the ball fast. and why is C Webb telling the gameplan? let them think we did not adjust

TheAnalyst
10-25-2012, 10:20 AM
How come we already played everyone in the NFCE and is about to play our 4th NFCE game when the rest only played 1 and it was against us?
Schedule makers hate us. Its obvious when every year we have our "easier" games early and the "hardest" games last. Browns, Panthers, Bucs early? Ravens, Falcons, Packers, Saints late?

The only game we have left vs a team that was under .500 last season is the Monday Night @ Redskins game.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 10:25 AM
The East basically plays the same exact schedule with the exception of two games. The only two games the Giants have that the others don't is with the 49ers and Green Bay.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 10:33 AM

i think it's because the harder logistics is scheduling all the games with the other teams
that you have to play according to the parody setup. which is 10 games that change every year.
the remaining 6 division games are a constant ...so they squeeze them in around the ever changing
parody schedule.

plus they have to consider the divisional home and home.

last year we played most of 'em at the end.

i'm just guessing here....i have no corroborating evidence....just my thoughts.

SackingMyths
10-25-2012, 11:22 AM
which is coach speak for "he can't cover so he has to mug them hoping the pass rush gets there in time"
but that's not exactly a military secret...

Haha...not a military secret and not "rocket science." But really, CW's "mugging" is perfectly legal within 5 yds.

You can't take players out of their comfort zone and go away from what they do best. If you do, you're eliminating what those players did to get to this level in the first place. And I think the coaching staff is guilty of this with Corey from time-to-time.

I mean, look how "bad" Nnamdi looked last year when asked to play a lot of zone and off coverage for really the first time in his NFL career. Anyone familiar with his whole body of work knows that Nnamdi's a big, physical, man coverage CB who excels when he gets to use his long arms to jam up receivers and then stay with them. Take that away from him and of course he's not gonna look as sharp.

Same deal for Corey (and Prince, for that matter).

stormblue
10-25-2012, 11:27 AM
Haha...not a military secret and not "rocket science." But really, CW's "mugging" is perfectly legal within 5 yds.

You can't take players out of their comfort zone and go away from what they do best. If you do, you're eliminating what those players did to get to this level in the first place. And I think the coaching staff is guilty of this with Corey from time-to-time.

I mean, look how "bad" Nnamdi looked last year when asked to play a lot of zone and off coverage for really the first time in his NFL career. Anyone familiar with his whole body of work knows that Nnamdi's a big, physical, man coverage CB who excels when he gets to use his long arms to jam up receivers and then stay with them. Take that away from him and of course he's not gonna look as sharp.

Same deal for Corey (and Prince, for that matter).

yeah , i getcha.

Fewell is still trying to fit players into his scheme as opposed
to scheming around his players.

you can change your game plan.....but your roster is your roster.

thomsoad
10-25-2012, 11:36 AM

Didnt Webster say this exact same thing Week 3?

Flip Empty
10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
Schedule makers hate us. Its obvious when every year we have our "easier" games early and the "hardest" games last. Browns, Panthers, Bucs early? Ravens, Falcons, Packers, Saints late?

The only game we have left vs a team that was under .500 last season is the Monday Night @ Redskins game.
Yes, the schedule makers spend three months figuring out how best to screw with the Giants. Come on...

i think it's because the harder logistics is scheduling all the games with the other teams
that you have to play according to the parody setup. which is 10 games that change every year.
the remaining 6 division games are a constant ...so they squeeze them in around the ever changing
parody schedule.

plus they have to consider the divisional home and home.

last year we played most of 'em at the end.

i'm just guessing here....i have no corroborating evidence....just my thoughts.
The schedule is largely planned with television in mind. Things like stadium availability also factor in.
There's a video explaining the process, here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d80fc6b67/Making-the-schedule)

Also, I think you meant "parity". :p

dezzzR
10-25-2012, 12:05 PM
More agressive means Perry will play the corners 3 yards off their wr instead of 8-10.....

We have too much talent in the secondary for this to be an issue.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes, the schedule makers spend three months figuring out how best to screw with the Giants. Come on...

The schedule is largely planned with television in mind. Things like stadium availability also factor in.
There's a video explaining the process, here (http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d80fc6b67/Making-the-schedule)

Also, I think you meant "parity". :p

so much for spellcheck ha-ha !!

SackingMyths
10-25-2012, 12:17 PM
Didnt Webster say this exact same thing Week 3?

I vaguely recall him alluding to something along those lines. Can't recall the direct quote, though.

SackingMyths
10-25-2012, 12:19 PM
yeah , i getcha.

Fewell is still trying to fit players into his scheme as opposed
to scheming around his players.

you can change your game plan.....but your roster is your roster.

Very well said

DaKraken
10-25-2012, 12:45 PM
No excuses for C-Web this week. After statements like that if he gets torched playing press then I think his days of being regarded a lockdown corner are way past.

shocknaweny
10-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Amukamara will make a world of difference this Sunday.

GMan-67
10-25-2012, 01:48 PM
im glad to hear that, but i have to question the strategy a bit

isnt he basically telling Dallas to try some double moves b/c we might bite?

or are we baiting them into doing that to get our pass rush off to a fast start?

but either way, C-Web must be feeling better and that's a good sign

juice33s
10-25-2012, 01:58 PM
Amukamara said the change happened around the Week 4 Eagles game. Webster, who prefers to play in press coverage, said defensive coordinator Perry Fewell saw him pressing a lot on the back side, “so that’s kind of how it just happened.”

Not really new news, they're still getting torched for the most part

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 02:06 PM
The big difference since the Eagles game is no KP but don't tell anyone that because KP is not really that good and Brown should take his place even when he is healthy.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 02:10 PM

Not really new news, they're still getting torched for the most part

yup , only difference is that Prince is back now so he can help spread the butter
over more pieces of toast.

just playin' .......its our LB's that can't help the front 4
or cover any thing in the middle.

you could throw 6 yard ins to your slot or tight end for the whole game and never
get your punter off the bench.

juice33s
10-25-2012, 02:18 PM
The big difference since the Eagles game is no KP but don't tell anyone that because KP is not really that good and Brown should take his place even when he is healthy.
Well the Giants were among the worst pass defenses last season as well so I'm not sure how much of a difference KP would make.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 02:28 PM
Yeah but he didn't allow any TD's. playing that bend but don't break defense won't impress with stats.