PDA

View Full Version : Sullivan: Giants' Eli Manning Has MVP-type Skills On and Off The Field

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 09:01 AM
http://www.northjersey.com/columnist...the_field.html (http://www.northjersey.com/columnists/Sullivan_Giants__Eli_Manning_has_MVP-type_skills_on_and_off_the_field.html)

Excerpt: "Eli Manning always has stood taller behind his football comebacks than his verbal ones. A lifelong philosophical subscription to the school of actions-speak-louder-than-words guarantees his two-minute quarterback drill always will trump a two-minute interview session. But just because Manning often doesn’t choose to fire back at the slings and arrows of skepticism regularly hurled his way doesn’t mean he has no such weapons in his arsenal.

Wednesday afternoon, Manning took a rare verbal swing, and with it, reminded us in a new and different way just what sort of season could be unfolding for the ninth-year quarterback. With every passing week, with every mounting comeback, and yes, with every expression of confidence, Manning isn’t just strengthening his case as an MVP player on the field; he’s building one as an MVP leader, too. When he’s willing to put his aw-shucks voice to the words everyone in the room is thinking, when his disarmingly soft demeanor, floppy brown locks and swallowed words make way for a sharply pointed, if humorous retort, he stands taller than ever.

Here’s how it went Wednesday. Just minutes after Manning had eaten lunch (during which he’d been made aware of comments by Redskins cornerback DeAngelo Hall in a story in the Washington Examiner), Manning returned to his locker to face questions. Inquiring minds wanted to know what Manning thought of this take on the 77-yard game-winning touchdown to Victor Cruz on Sunday against Washington:

“I feel we gave him that play,” Hall said. “We just had one guy set his feet.… I could have thrown that ball, and he would have scored. It wasn’t something where he was a rocket scientist and he figured something out. We just played that as bad as possible.”

Manning didn’t miss a beat: “I appreciate him giving it to me,” he quipped. “Thank you. I didn’t think it took rocket science to figure it out, either. You had a guy running open and you hit him.”

Football, in its most basic form, is a pitch-and-catch connection that, this season, Manning is performing as well as anyone at his position. Seven games in, Manning deserves to be considered a legitimate MVP candidate. He is leading the league with 2,109 passing yards, 5 yards clear of second-place Tom Brady, but more than any quantifiable statistic is his growing reputation as the game’s most reliable and daring late-game force. Hall and the Redskins just happen to be his latest whiplashed victims, another in a long line of defenders still wondering what the heck happened.

“It doesn’t bother me. If that’s the way they want to put it their heads, then that’s fine,” Manning said. “But the fact is, that was the coverage. If they messed it up, that’s what you have to do as an offense — take advantage of it.”Two Super Bowl wins, two Super Bowl MVP awards, and Manning still leaves opponents from Hall to Clay Matthews lamenting the gifts they gave him rather than giving him credit for taking them." Read more...

Toadofsteel
10-25-2012, 09:21 AM
I love how when Eli says something that is anything slightly more than vanilla wafers in terms of choice words, it winds up being the subject of so many articles.

ashleymarie
10-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Eli is sooooo cool, just being himself.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 10:20 AM
If Bayless doesnt think Eli is cool after that retort then he is blind AND deaf....

just sayin'

PETEY006
10-25-2012, 11:26 AM
Eli is always calm and collective

A true role model for kids and atheles.

Kruunch
10-25-2012, 02:28 PM
One day Eli is going to freak out on the media and the world economy will come to an end.