PDA

View Full Version : How do you rate our Oline?

egyptian420
10-25-2012, 11:42 AM
As a whole, I think they've really come together compared to the first few games of the season. I love the pass protection and time that Eli gets in the pocket. The run blocking is also doing well in my opinion but we just didn't run the ball that often last week.

What do you guys think?

JesseJames
10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
As a whole, I think they've really come together compared to the first few games of the season. I love the pass protection and time that Eli gets in the pocket. The run blocking is also doing well in my opinion but we just didn't run the ball that often last week.

What do you guys think? I think the O line would do a lot better if we ran the ball more , it looks like the success of our passing game causes us to give up too quickly on the run if it doesn't show success right away..

stormblue
10-25-2012, 11:52 AM
we ran it enough to prove we couldn't run it
19 carries for 70 odd yards.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 12:01 PM
getting better each week for the most part....

TheAnalyst
10-25-2012, 12:08 PM
we ran it enough to prove we couldn't run it
19 carries for 70 odd yards.

I saw some nice runs from Bradshaw. 17 rushes for 64 yards from our backs. What if the 18th run was for 20-25 yards. Looks a lot better. Thats why you keep running the ball, like we did vs the 49ers.

egyptian420
10-25-2012, 12:09 PM
I think the O line would do a lot better if we ran the ball more , it looks like the success of our passing game causes us to give up too quickly on the run if it doesn't show success right away..The cowboys have one of the best LB cores in the league, but they suffered a huge loss in Sean Lee, so that certainly helps us with regards to running the ball.

But generally, I feel like we've started to pass to set up the run a lot, and it works.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 12:18 PM
@TheAnalyst

i understand what you're sayin'....but washington is top 10 against the run
and dead last against the pass.
the game plan would have been to exploit their lousy pass defense and
run enough to keep them honest. which is what happened.
much to Bradshaw's obvious objection.

san fran was garbage yards after they knew they were beaten and gave up
in the 2nd half.

Mohann
10-25-2012, 12:22 PM
@TheAnalyst

i understand what you're sayin'....but washington is top 10 against the run
and dead last against the pass.
the game plan would have been to exploit their lousy pass defense and
run enough to keep them honest. which is what happened.

san fran was garbage yards after they knew they were beaten and gave up
in the 2nd half.

San Fran was not garbage yards. It was 3rd quarter, with a lead, run the ball to run out the clock time. You know, when everyone knows the Giants want to run the ball to run out the clock. It was the back breaker in that game.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 12:53 PM
San Fran was not garbage yards. It was 3rd quarter, with a lead, run the ball to run out the clock time. You know, when everyone knows the Giants want to run the ball to run out the clock. It was the back breaker in that game.

you are so wrong.
56 of Bradshaw's yards (that's almost half of his 116} came in the 4th qtr.
ALL of Wilson's 35 came in the 4th qtr.

so 91 of 151 came in 4th qtr

thats right.... over 60% of our rushing yards came in the 4th qtr
when the score was already 23 to 3 and they had given up.

if that's not the definition of garbage time then i need a new dictionary.

take off those royal blue sunglasses.

and here's your proof if you don't believe me

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2012/10/14/4980/index.html#playbyplay

JimC
10-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Need to get MUCH better running the ball.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 01:06 PM
12th out of 32.....not too bad considering its only week 8 and they sucked for the first few games.....

DaKraken
10-25-2012, 01:53 PM
I'd rate them a B+ and improving.

This group has really come together since Diehl went down and Beatty took over at LT with Locklear shifting to the right. We went from starting the season lamenting how bad they were to seeing them excel in pass protection (Eli had barely been sacked until the Wash game) and improving in the run game with Ahmad having a few >100 yard games.

At this point Big Blue fans should be thrilled and just hope they stay intact. Diehl looks perfect as an eligible reciever when needed ;)

fansince69
10-25-2012, 01:57 PM
this is pretty simple....they have been effective enough so that we a 5-2 and on top of the NFC east

TheAnalyst
10-25-2012, 02:00 PM
you are so wrong.
56 of Bradshaw's yards (that's almost half of his 116} came in the 4th qtr.
ALL of Wilson's 35 came in the 4th qtr.

so 91 of 151 came in 4th qtr

thats right.... over 60% of our rushing yards came in the 4th qtr
when the score was already 23 to 3 and they had given up.

if that's not the definition of garbage time then i need a new dictionary.

take off those royal blue sunglasses.

and here's your proof if you don't believe me

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/gameflash/2012/10/14/4980/index.html#playbyplay

SF's defense doesn't just "give up". They got handled. SF has too proud a defense to "give up" gashing running plays because they were down by 2 or 3 scores. SF gave up their first 100 yard rusher and 1st rushing TD in about a year that game. The D wore down, like I believe the Redskins D would of done the same.

GameTime
10-25-2012, 02:01 PM
this is pretty simple....they have been effective enough so that we a 5-2 and on top of the NFC east
thats what I mean as well....
the Giants do not need a top 5 runing game. Not saying that woud be a bad thing just saying they dont need that.
The need to be effective when and how they run. The timing, results, and effeciancy are much more important then the total yards.

JimC
10-25-2012, 02:03 PM
12th out of 32.....not too bad considering its only week 8 and they sucked for the first few games.....

OK maybe the word MUCH was a stretch, but there is is a good amout of room for improvement.

stormblue
10-25-2012, 02:08 PM
SF's defense doesn't just "give up". They got handled. SF has too proud a defense to "give up" gashing running plays because they were down by 2 or 3 scores. SF gave up their first 100 yard rusher and 1st rushing TD in about a year that game. The D wore down, like I believe the Redskins D would of done the same.

"gave up" "got worn down" "ran out of gas".......whatever ,
it all came in the 4th qtr AFTER it was already 23 to 6

but you can call it whatever you want to call it .

fansince69
10-25-2012, 02:10 PM

there is a HUGE difference between "got worn down" and " gave up"......one infers they didn't care the other infers the line eventually beat them up

GameTime
10-25-2012, 02:13 PM
OK maybe the word MUCH was a stretch, but there is is a good amout of room for improvement.

yes there is...

stormblue
10-25-2012, 02:21 PM
there is a HUGE difference between "got worn down" and " gave up"......one infers they didn't care the other infers the line eventually beat them up

first off , the listener "infers" , not the speaker ....so i didn't infer anything ....you did.

second.....gave up or ran out of gas looks the same on the field. its late in the game .

you know you have lost the game , the other team is running down your throat.....shower time.

doesn't matter whether or not its physical exhaustion or mental exhaustion ; either way

you are no longer giving it 100%

now Tampa and Schiano did not give up.

TheAnalyst
10-25-2012, 02:23 PM

BIG DIFFERENCE between the term "GAVE UP" and "GOT WORN DOWN". Got Worn Down, as in, our offense was handling them with ease because of continual beating and over powering them. Bradshaw ran 30 times in that game if Im not mistaken. They wore down. Vs Washington, Bradshaw only ran 12 times. HUGE DIFFERENCE. Washingtons D wasnt nearly as tested. Keep powering the ball up the middle and eventually the run D will break. So while Ahmad had 12 rushes for 47 yards, he easily could of finished with 20 rushes for 120 yards after a few breaks.

I understand what you are saying though with the pass attck vs the skins. They lost a safety and rank horrible vs the pass. But we made it too predictable and gave up on the run to early.

BParcells777
10-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Sean O'Hara of ESPN has them rated as #2 in the NFL

stormblue
10-25-2012, 02:30 PM
Sean O'Hara of ESPN has them rated as #2 in the NFL

hey , nothin' wrong with having a homer in the press.

Toomer and Kurt have been kind to us this week also.

TheAnalyst
10-25-2012, 02:33 PM
hey , nothin' wrong with having a homer in the press.

Toomer and Kurt have been kind to us this week also.

That would be a first.

fansince69
10-25-2012, 02:38 PM
first off , the listener "infers" , not the speaker ....so i didn't infer anything ....you did.

second.....gave up or ran out of gas looks the same on the field. its late in the game .

you know you have lost the game , the other team is running down your throat.....shower time.

doesn't matter whether or not its physical exhaustion or mental exhaustion ; either way

you are no longer giving it 100%

now Tampa and Schiano did not give up.

your right I inferred and most normal people would infer the same thing from those 2 terms ....... you can say all you want...but they are very different things on the football field....I really am sorry that you do not see it that way

GMan-67
10-25-2012, 02:59 PM
i'll give them a B+ ... we have been running the ball pretty well since late last season ... altho Sunday wasnt good, but i think we can officially say our running attack is back

pass blocking ... im loving me some Will Beatty right now and Locklear is holding up and there seems to be decent chemistry ... we're not getting too hurt by blitzes .. .esp. not middle blitzes

now i will point out that football is the ultimate team sport ...Eli doesnt hold the ball and our WRs are getting off the line and running precise routes and getting separation, so the ball is coming out on time very often, making the job of the Oline just a bit easier ... the sport is a game of inches and split seconds and it's all pretty good right now

stormblue
10-25-2012, 03:02 PM
your right I inferred and most normal people would infer the same thing from those 2 terms ....... you can say all you want...but they are very different things on the football field....I really am sorry that you do not see it that way

ok , so maybe to me its the same , if you don't think so , thats fine.

but somehow we are having an argument about whether they gave up
or gassed out ; you have totally sidetracked me into arguing
about something that wasn't even the main point i was trying to make.
nice misdirect ....you should be a trial lawyer ..

but

my main point was that they were mostly garbage yards in the 4th qtr after it was already 23 to 3.
you know you know what i'm sayin' here .so stop harping on the gave up or gave out crap.
that was not my main point and you know it.

giantsfan420
10-25-2012, 03:10 PM
ok , so maybe to me its the same , if you don't think so , thats fine.

but somehow we are having an argument about whether they gave up
or gassed out ; you have totally sidetracked me into arguing
about something that wasn't even the main point i was trying to make.
nice misdirect ....you should be a trial lawyer ..

but

my main point was that they were mostly garbage yards in the 4th qtr after it was already 23 to 3.
you know you know what i'm sayin' here .so stop harping on the gave up or gave out crap.
that was not my main point and you know it.
i dont see why u think u can say that bc we succeeded it was garbage yards...SF has lost games and trailed games the past two yrs under harbaugh and they still hadnt allowed a 100 yd rusher or a rushing td by a rb in over a year. I cant recall a time the SF d "gave up" or were "gassed" in the 4th any other time under harbaugh...
trust me, im as hesitant and skeptical of the run game and want them to continually show me improvement but they have been doing an excellent job esp compared to last year...even whatever the stat line was vs washington was twice as good as it woulda been last year imho when we were dead last...
and a lot of our success in the run game just didnt happen in the 4th, we were avg 4 ypc the entire game iirc and thats a full yard higher than their prior avg iirc, a lot of it was we lined up DD, went 1v1 and punched them in the mouth. there hadnt been a team that had the success running the ball on them even in the 1rst half, that run D is phenomenal. yeah we did break it open some in the 4th but imho it was bc we were physical all game and that almost always happens to a D when a team commits to the run

giantsfan420
10-25-2012, 03:11 PM
eli also had that 150 yd 2nd qtr where we passed all over em too so factor that into it too...

stormblue
10-25-2012, 03:19 PM
good enough 420 , to concede that they were mostly garbage yards
is all i was after.
my high school coach made us do "step ups" on the bleachers if that
happened in to us in the 4th qtr.
and he didn't care if we gave up or if we gave out. same death penalty.

drewz
10-25-2012, 03:21 PM
Sometimes I wish they would give Eli a cleaner pocket to work with, but anything is better than last year..

egyptian420
10-25-2012, 05:31 PM
I'd rate them a B+ and improving.

This group has really come together since Diehl went down and Beatty took over at LT with Locklear shifting to the right. We went from starting the season lamenting how bad they were to seeing them excel in pass protection (Eli had barely been sacked until the Wash game) and improving in the run game with Ahmad having a few >100 yard games.

At this point Big Blue fans should be thrilled and just hope they stay intact. Diehl looks perfect as an eligible reciever when needed ;)+1

Tommy_Ribs
10-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Our O-Line is god right now.

If they can maintain continuity, and play together, I think they will get better. I think the main thing is that Beatty has to stay healthy.

jomo
10-25-2012, 10:06 PM
Old, needs major overhaul in the off season. Right now I grade them out as a B with depth graded at D.

BillTheGreek
10-25-2012, 11:30 PM
They went from a C to a B......... Now we are L@@King for a B+ or a A........The next two games should tell us something .....But forget all the ABC they have to stay consistent....like straight B's or better ! The way they played in SF.

FIFTY6G-MAN
10-25-2012, 11:42 PM
Need to get MUCH better running the ball.^This.... our O-line just isnt getting it done in my opinion. They just barely have their heads above water and sinking. Old, Slow, and probably getting tired of our comments about them. They did their job and still do but the actual spark is gone. They are ready to be put to pasture with tons of glory they gave us.

Diamondring
10-26-2012, 04:45 AM
They are doing good and making me say that they are underrated to be true. Giants don't have to worry that much about the run long as they can pass block well. Our O-line is a passing type O=line no need to try and run out the clock. That doesn't work.

giantsfan420
10-26-2012, 04:47 AM
They are doing good and making me say that they are underrated to be true. Giants don't have to worry that much about the run long as they can pass block well. Our O-line is a passing type O=line no need to try and run out the clock. That doesn't work.

theyre actually ranked better in run blocking then pass blocking. eli is masking a lot of the pressures the OL is given up. that said they are playing 20000x better than last yr imho

Diamondring
10-26-2012, 04:57 AM
theyre actually ranked better in run blocking then pass blocking. eli is masking a lot of the pressures the OL is given up. that said they are playing 20000x better than last yr imhoThey are still better pass blockers. No O-line should block for long periods of time that many times and they do a lot of double blocking when they run the ball.

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 05:00 AM
Old, needs major overhaul in the off season. Right now I grade them out as a B with depth graded at D.

This line reminds me of the Lomas Brown group and the Shaun O'Hara bunch where players are getting long in the tooth. O-line definitely needs to be the focus of attention either through the draft or free agency this off season. The trenches on both sides of the ball are some of the most important but overlooked positions on a team. I'd also like to add underappreciated until you don't have a really good one.

BlueSanta
10-26-2012, 05:09 AM

That is false logic. When you have the lead is exactly when the opposing defense tries hardest to stop the run. If it were so easy to get "garbage" rushing yards in the 4th quarter when you have a sizable lead, then the Desean Jackson Punt return game a couple years ago would have never happened.

Jimmy Johnson always got credit for saying the mark of a good rushing team is when they can run the ball with the lead, but the fact is Parcells said it a long time b4 Jimmy was coaching. It is a creedo that Nick Saban, Les Miles, George Siefert, the inovator of the west coast offense, Joe Gibbs, and many others lived by. You know what all those guys have in common? Multiple championship rings.

Captain Chaos
10-26-2012, 06:21 AM
They still have a ways to go... I think they can dominate when they want to. We'll see just how good they are this week, Dallas D Line is for real and they have talent. If they can run and pass protect I think that they have made a huge step!

jomo
10-26-2012, 08:58 AM
This line reminds me of the Lomas Brown group and the Shaun O'Hara bunch where players are getting long in the tooth. O-line definitely needs to be the focus of attention either through the draft or free agency this off season. The trenches on both sides of the ball are some of the most important but overlooked positions on a team. I'd also like to add underappreciated until you don't have a really good one.I would agree with underappreciated.

stormblue
10-26-2012, 09:35 AM
That is false logic. When you have the lead is exactly when the opposing defense tries hardest to stop the run. If it were so easy to get "garbage" rushing yards in the 4th quarter when you have a sizable lead, then the Desean Jackson Punt return game a couple years ago would have never happened.

Jimmy Johnson always got credit for saying the mark of a good rushing team is when they can run the ball with the lead, but the fact is Parcells said it a long time b4 Jimmy was coaching. It is a creedo that Nick Saban, Les Miles, George Siefert, the inovator of the west coast offense, Joe Gibbs, and many others lived by. You know what all those guys have in common? Multiple championship rings.

seriously , WTF are you mumbling about.

the theory about running the clock down to preserve a lead is not even in question here.
why would i deny something that obvious ....and you don't have to quote a bunch of gurus
(you left Lombardi out by the way) to verify a an accepted point of fact.

there is a difference between protecting a 17 to 14 lead when the defense is still holding on
to an inkling of hope or knowing you are conquered and surrendering your sword.

after the last touchdown it was 23 to 6 , game over. we knew it. they knew it.
so in the last 15 minutes they gave up 90 yds. after only yielding 60 yards for the 1st 3 qtrs.
we did this to a team that only gives up 90 PER GAME !!

so all of a sudden for one qtr we are an o-line juggernaut and
one of the best run defenses in the league is all worn down and can't
stop our ferocious running attack.

do you really believe that , when this whole thread is based on the fact
that our o-line is a weakness and long in the tooth.

get real.

TroyArcher
10-26-2012, 09:49 AM

Would be great but not absolutely necessary. With Eli and the receiving core this team can put up alot of points with virtually no running game. What is more important is a more consistent defense.