PDA

View Full Version : Giants' David Diehl Says He's 100%, Would Like To Start But Willing To Take Any Role

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 07:00 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/giants_david_diehl_says_hes_10.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "Since David Diehl sustained a sprained MCL in the first quarter of the Giants' Week 2 win over the Buccaneers, the Giants have surrendered three sacks in five games and revitalized the rushing attack. They've done it with veteran free-agent acquisition Sean Locklear moving from left to right tackle to replace Diehl, and Will Beatty inserted at left tackle.

Diehl returned in Week 6 against the 49ers, but wasn't given his starting spot at right tackle; he's been limited to the jumbo tight end role in his two games back. And though Diehl said he feels 100 percent this week for the first time since he suffered the injury, but isn't sure if he'll regain his starting spot."

You donít assume anything," Diehl said today when asked if he thought his starting position would be waiting. "You would hope so, but like I said, the fact that if it doesnít happen, Iím not, donít get me wrong, I would love to be starting, I would love to be back out there, thatís what Iím here for, thatís what Iíve always done. But, like I said, if that doesnít happen, itís not going to change the way I feel about Sean. Itís not going to change the way I feel about our coaches and our staff. Iíve been hurt. Iíve been out. Thereís nothing I can do to change that." Read more...

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 07:01 PM
David's ALL-IN

giantsfan420
10-25-2012, 07:05 PM
epiitome of a nyg

giantsfan420
10-25-2012, 07:07 PM
part of me still pulls for him and roots he can be a legit starting rt. until then, playing fav's bc of personal opinion of a guy is a quick way to losing. he's got to earn it, but if theres one guy u cant count out, its dd. who knows, maybe that body that he's sacrificed for the team and us fans just needed some extended rest and he can play at a high level again...
whatever the case, i think he'll be best suited as the jumbo/swng t

stormblue
10-25-2012, 07:19 PM
its a long season.....ya never who's gonna go down for a couple of games.
nothing wrong with some veteran back-up on the o-line.
and to help give guys a breather here and there.
but he doesn't get my starting vote .
i don't think he'll get anybody's vote to start again,

but don't cry, the guy has made millions....not like he's gonna have to go
bag groceries.

VBGiantsFan
10-25-2012, 07:27 PM
As long as he accepts his role as bench warmer and Eli's masseur then I'm fine with it. He better only start if it's at guard. He's not fleet of foot anymore to be a tackle.

drewz
10-25-2012, 07:29 PM
Hopefully he gets cut at the end of the year

TheEnigma
10-25-2012, 07:31 PM

I doubt he would ever actually be cut. DD probably leaves on his own terms and I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up in coaching or as a sports analyst right after that.

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 09:05 PM

That's brilliant

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 09:06 PM
As long as he accepts his role as bench warmer and Eli's masseur then I'm fine with it. He better only start if it's at guard. He's not fleet of foot anymore to be a tackle.

You need to sit down for the news, he's been practicing at RTE. How could the coaches be so ignorant?

JB456
10-25-2012, 09:09 PM

Dude, you should pump the brakes with that comment. Even though many Giants fans in here, including myself, have been very critical of Diehl, he has been a great Giant and gave everything to this team. It obvious at this point that he should be relegated to a back up and he should retire at that the end of the season. This dude loves football and made the mistake of playing a good deal past his prime.

VBGiantsFan
10-25-2012, 09:09 PM
You need to sit down for the news, he's been practicing at RTE. How could the coaches be so ignorant?

In your opinion does he belong as the starting rt?

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 09:11 PM

Where did I say RT? Or "start."

foosball
10-25-2012, 09:12 PM
DD has been in a sharp decline for a few years. This was as good a time as any to bench him.

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 09:16 PM
DD has been in a sharp decline for a few years. This was as good a time as any to bench him.

He's not been benched

RoanokeFan
10-25-2012, 09:17 PM

I have repeatedly said he should be "in the rotation" because of his versatility which now includes RTE.

VBGiantsFan
10-25-2012, 09:35 PM
I have repeatedly said he should be "in the rotation" because of his versatility which now includes RTE.

"in tne rotation" meaning a back up. I dont think you would say Beatty belong just "in the rotation." and i agree. Diehl does belong as a very versatile back up. Id be more comfortable with him on the interior than facing pass rushing de.

VBGiantsFan
10-25-2012, 09:37 PM

Im glad he can play as an extra blocking te. That is good for our running game. Doubt hell go out for any passes and im ok with that.

Buddy333
10-25-2012, 09:50 PM
He has not played well but he is a likable player. Heard him on Sirius the other night and he sounded like a cool guy. It's was kind of cool that one of the guest callers was Cruz.

GMan-67
10-25-2012, 11:58 PM
this is why you love this guy

"oh you want me to play Tackle, but be paid like a Guard, no problem!"

"oh you want me to concede my job due to injury, no problem, whatever is best for the team"

"oh you want me to try to run thru the side of the Timex building with my helmet off to test the structural integrity of the new practice center, no problem coach"

"oh you want me to have another, no problem"

ok, the last one didnt work out for us or him

but, you gotta love the always postive attitude and the willingness to do anything for the team ... do you fairweathers and casuals get it now ????

Flip Empty
10-26-2012, 12:05 AM
He's still important to the team, just not in the starting lineup.

Toadofsteel
10-26-2012, 12:13 AM
this is why you love this guy

"oh you want me to play Tackle, but be paid like a Guard, no problem!"

"oh you want me to concede my job due to injury, no problem, whatever is best for the team"

"oh you want me to try to run thru the side of the Timex building with my helmet off to test the structural integrity of the new practice center, no problem coach"

"oh you want me to have another, no problem"

ok, the last one didnt work out for us or him

but, you gotta love the always postive attitude and the willingness to do anything for the team ... do you fairweathers and casuals get it now ????

I love his work ethic. I just hope we can find a place for him. What I've said this season is that he belongs in our ring of honor, as opposed to our o-line. But if the coaches have a plan for him, that's their business, not mine...

blueNorange
10-26-2012, 12:14 AM
diehl has been an awful lineman for the past 4-5 years now

GMan-67
10-26-2012, 12:19 AM
diehl has been an awful lineman for the past 4-5 years now

yes, because all awful players at LT win 2 Super Bowl rings for being awful and oh yeah their QB never misses a game

unreal

blueNorange
10-26-2012, 12:32 AM
yes, because all awful players at LT win 2 Super Bowl rings for being awful and oh yeah their QB never misses a game

unreal
michael johnson won a superbowl ring, his career lasted 3 years

diehl was never good, he was good on run blocking but on pass blocking? i'm sure most of eli's sacks came because diehl couldn't do his job correctly

trent cole abused him, ware abused him, basically any player who is fast would blow by him with ease

there's a great reason the giants o-line got better the second he got injured

giantsfan420
10-26-2012, 12:55 AM
Im glad he can play as an extra blocking te. That is good for our running game. Doubt hell go out for any passes and im ok with that.

it was one of the reasons we were able to run vs SF and should help us here on out. he's a physical, capable, recent starting caliber player. its another body to throw down there in the trenches and it helps us line up and just out physical opposing defenses

foosball
10-26-2012, 04:53 AM
He's not been benched

He should be, statistically he's been in a sharp decline for years. The Giants line plays best when he's not in there. He's a good solid team guy and a great Giant but I think his time has past. When you factor in his price tag this should be his last year. I'm sure he can help in jumbo packages between here and the end and if one of the other guys gets hurt at guard or tackle he can come in.

Captain Chaos
10-26-2012, 05:19 AM
Glad to see our man Double D getting back into fighting shape! I think that having a veteran that can fill in is a great asset. The line has been playing well, I don't think you insert him until their is a need, someone is hurt!

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 05:43 AM
Where did I say RT? Or "start."

For some reason I think people are just overlooking your statement about RTE or don't understand what that is. Tight End folks...David Diehl has been practicing as a Tight End. There, now that it has been cleared up continue on with our regularly scheduled craziness.

nygfanmaybe
10-26-2012, 06:29 AM
When something's not broke, you don't fix it. If it took DD getting hurt to find out that the new mix worked better, then that is just fate. I keep starting the guys who have been starting and use DD as a back-up and insurance policy.

RoanokeFan
10-26-2012, 06:52 AM
For some reason I think people are just overlooking your statement about RTE or don't understand what that is. Tight End folks...David Diehl has been practicing as a Tight End. There, now that it has been cleared up continue on with our regularly scheduled craziness.

Thanks for clearing that up. I swear some read with blinder on.

RoanokeFan
10-26-2012, 06:53 AM
He should be, statistically he's been in a sharp decline for years. The Giants line plays best when he's not in there. He's a good solid team guy and a great Giant but I think his time has past. When you factor in his price tag this should be his last year. I'm sure he can help in jumbo packages between here and the end and if one of the other guys gets hurt at guard or tackle he can come in.

You just need to read HIS comments to know it's not about him "starting." He's given a lot to this team and still has value in the rotation.

stormblue
10-26-2012, 09:26 AM
to me his comment sounded like a gracious acknowledgement
and acceptance of his current role on the team.

BParcells777
10-26-2012, 09:30 AM
I've met David personally at the airport........could not meet a friendlier more humble guy.....it was right after the SB nd he had several broken fingers on his right hand due to NE poor sports I'd imagine

RoanokeFan
10-26-2012, 09:36 AM
to me his comment sounded like a gracious acknowledgement and acceptance of his current role on the team. And you would be correct

RoanokeFan
10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
I've met David personally at the airport........could not meet a friendlier more humble guy.....it was right after the SB nd he had several broken fingers on his right hand due to NE poor sports I'd imagine I believe he played with 2 broken hands that year