PDA

View Full Version : Perry Fewell: Chase Blackburn is “Key to Our Success”

njg85m
10-26-2012, 10:42 AM
http://www.giants101.com/2012/10/25/new-york-giants-perry-fewell-chase-blackburn-is-key-to-our-success/

"Chase is really the key to our success because he’s the quarterback of our defense," Fewell said. "He plays and he gets everyone lined up and he gets everyone on the same page and in the proper coverages and getting the guys up front doing the things they should be doing and then, in addition to that, he plays his technique and responsibility. I think Chase has been playing very steady for us. He’s been doing the job of a mike linebacker, what a mike linebacker should do, and I’m glad he’s on my football team."

I'll admit that I am a bit of a Chase homer, mainly because I love the guys heart and attitude. But it is nice to see our DC say pretty much the exact same thing I've been saying on these boards about Chase's impact as the QB of the defense that very few other people here are willing to acknowledge.

Nice article overall.

Toadofsteel
10-26-2012, 10:49 AM
http://www.lolwut.com/layout/lolwut.jpg

CDN_G-FAN
10-26-2012, 10:51 AM
i guess that's why PF is a DC for a superbowl championship team and i'm clearly not.

i just don't see this guy in the light PF does.

but i'll defer to his judgement

go chase go!

stormblue
10-26-2012, 10:52 AM
and just what is he supposed to say.
gilbride would say the same about Carr if Eli was out.

they are always out of position , blowing assignments , not hustling
to the ball or playing to the whistle. some defensive QB.

yea, he's directing traffic alright.....renew your car insurance and get your airbags ready !!

CowboysSuck
10-26-2012, 10:59 AM
I like Chase and have defended him on here numerous times. Until we properly groom Herz, or we aquire a FA, draft a pure MLB etc.. Chase is the man in the middle and hes not a bad player guys. Hes not. Just because he doesn't flash 4.5 speed and have a 30 in. vertical doesn't mean he isnt a solid football player. I believe had he not came back for us last season, we likely would not have won that SB. And if he wasn't here this season, we would be getting run on more than we already are.

Hes not your typical NFL Star Athlete. Hes a shorter, chubbier dude with long hair and isnt incredibly fast. I think thats why people dont like him...

If we had someone better on the roster, do you not think they would be playing??

CowboysSuck
10-26-2012, 11:02 AM
and just what is he supposed to say.
gilbride would say the same about Carr if Eli was out.

they are always out of position , blowing assignments , not hustling
to the ball or playing to the whistle. some defensive QB.

yea, he's directing traffic alright.....renew your car insurance and get your airbags ready !!

Awful analogy. LOL. Carr is a 2nd stringer and would only be in if Eli got hurt. Chase IS our 1st string MLB. You really think that PF would go out of his way to lie about Chase Blackburn? Lol

terrible post

stormblue
10-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Awful analogy. LOL. Carr is a 2nd stringer and would only be in if Eli got hurt. Chase IS our 1st string MLB. You really think that PF would go out of his way to lie about Chase Blackburn? Lol

terrible post

you gotta be kidding.....pulled him off the couch to play because we
have nobody else ....1st string by freakin' default .....there is no 2nd string
with enough experience that isn't injured.

and PF isn't lying , is just spewing politically correct coach speak in
an attempt to prop up his only option @MLB.

terrible fail.

what a maroon.

dezzzR
10-26-2012, 11:15 AM

terrible postBad analogy but hes right, This team is constantly out of position especially the secondary.

I cant see Chase being THAT much smarter than Mark or Williams when it comes to the playbook.

Kruunch
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Chase is what he is ... and we'll ride him to wins or losses.

Giant stuck in Texas
10-26-2012, 11:17 AM
Great... Here comes Slip in 3-2-1......

GMENAGAIN
10-26-2012, 11:41 AM

terrible post

Do you really think that Fewell would say that Chase is terrible?

Chase is not a quality starting NFL MLB, but we don't seem to have anything better right now.

njg85m
10-26-2012, 11:58 AM

Chase is not a quality starting NFL MLB, but we don't seem to have anything better right now.

So there's no middle ground whatsoever, right? He either has to say he's "terrible" or say what he did? From everything I've ever seen it seems to be a pretty fair assessment from a coach that spends 6 days a week with him. It's not like he went overboard and said that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He stated the obvious.

Look, I pretty much agree with 95% of what you always say on chase. He IS average at best, he is NOT physically gifted in any way whatsoever, he is NOT going to ever be anything more than he is. All I'm ever trying to say is that the guy obviously has added value beyond his on field performance that no one ever seems to recognize. If he didn't, he would not be on our team, period. As it stands he knows our D-book better than anybody else on the team, he coaches on the field, and from everything I have ever read he seems to be spending massive amounts of time grooming the young LB's to take over shortly. Those things have value. You could throw the most physically gifted LB in the league in his position right now and without the experience it would not be an upgrade.

It just gets super annoying that some people are so blinded by this Chase hatred that they repeatedly refuse to actually give the guy credit anytime he does make a play.

Break through the line and cause an INT? No credit. Game winning strip? No credit. Super bowl saving interception? Still no credit.

I appreciate all that the guy does for now, and hopefully Herz is ready sooner than later. I just don't get this blind hatred for him on here.

Atomic1
10-26-2012, 12:11 PM

WOW, Dude, get a clue !...Chase is one of our TOP TACKLERS, top turnover producers, helps set up the defense along with Bolley and brings great energy and knowledge with him all over the field. He is Always around the ball, making plays and winning games. Have you seen the Giants won-loss record since Chase has returned midway thru last season ? Any body know that # ?

joemorrisforprez
10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Chase Blackburn is Harry Carson without the athleticism......by that, I mean he's a smart player, rarely out of position.

Physically, I'd rate him a C+. He's not fast, and doesn't have that hitting power you'd see from a Carson, Taylor, Ray Lewis, etc.

Positionally (i.e., reading a play, taking the proper angle), I'd rate him a B+.

Every time I dog him (which is usually a couple times a game) he'll come up and make a play.

If the guy had the speed of J. Williams, he'd be a pro-bowler......but he does the best with the body he's got.

joemorrisforprez
10-26-2012, 12:22 PM
So there's no middle ground whatsoever, right? He either has to say he's "terrible" or say what he did? From everything I've ever seen it seems to be a pretty fair assessment from a coach that spends 6 days a week with him. It's not like he went overboard and said that he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. He stated the obvious.

Look, I pretty much agree with 95% of what you always say on chase. He IS average at best, he is NOT physically gifted in any way whatsoever, he is NOT going to ever be anything more than he is. All I'm ever trying to say is that the guy obviously has added value beyond his on field performance that no one ever seems to recognize. If he didn't, he would not be on our team, period. As it stands he knows our D-book better than anybody else on the team, he coaches on the field, and from everything I have ever read he seems to be spending massive amounts of time grooming the young LB's to take over shortly. Those things have value. You could throw the most physically gifted LB in the league in his position right now and without the experience it would not be an upgrade.

It just gets super annoying that some people are so blinded by this Chase hatred that they repeatedly refuse to actually give the guy credit anytime he does make a play.

Break through the line and cause an INT? No credit. Game winning strip? No credit. Super bowl saving interception? Still no credit.

I appreciate all that the guy does for now, and hopefully Herz is ready sooner than later. I just don't get this blind hatred for him on here.

I agree......alot of people don't seem to remember how ****ing clueless this defense looked before they re-signed Blackburn last season.

Defense is more than being really fast. It's great to have that, don't get me wrong.......but it's more important to understand what is unfolding in front of you.

I've been waiting for the Giants to draft the next Great Linebacker......I was spoiled with Brad Van Pelt, Carson, Taylor, Kelly.....Reasons....Banks.....Armstead....it's an amazing list.

But I've come to the conclusion that Reese values DE's more than LB's......so this is what we're working with.

But Chase Blackburn wouldn't have 2 SB rings if he sucked as hard as some people on this board say.

moosedrool
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
WOW, Dude, get a clue !...Chase is one of our TOP TACKLERS

Chase also leads the team in missed tackles with 9. The next guy only has 3 missed tackles.

Imgrate
10-26-2012, 12:23 PM
Worst starter on the team

moosedrool
10-26-2012, 12:25 PM
Chase Blackburn is Harry Carson without the athleticism.

Comparing Chase to Harry is ridiculous, even when you say "without athleticism". Harry was a devastating tackler, Chase is the exact opposite.

nycisgreat
10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
I have been the saying this for a while. He is valuable to this team. We saw the different he made from day one on his return last season. All I hear is that he isn't the fastest or athletic enough. I think that is none sense. The guy plays smart football and he has crazy passion for the game. The guy is a keeper.

joemorrisforprez
10-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Comparing Chase to Harry is ridiculous, even when you say "without athleticism". Harry was a devastating tackler, Chase is the exact opposite.

You didn't read my entire post, apparently.

Rudyy
10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
Chase Blackburn is not the greatest, but he's not the worst.

nycisgreat
10-26-2012, 12:50 PM

Nope, he wouldn't say it, but if Fewell thought he was playing as terrible as you claim, the guy wouldn't even see the field.

nycisgreat
10-26-2012, 12:53 PM
Chase Blackburn is not the greatest, but he's not the worst.

Chase haters refuse to give him any credit. I like Chase a lot, but would I say that he is the best. No, he is average player and I think he doing a good job. If we want to talk about the weakest link on our defense. Let's talk about some of our defensive tackles. I am glad Canty is back. Bernard is an absolute pushover.

BurnerNYG
10-26-2012, 12:54 PM
Chase came back, we went on a run and the rest is history. He may not be the best but he's good enough for us. I got nothing but respect for Chase. If it wasn't for him, Washington would've probably marched right back down the field.

GameTime
10-26-2012, 12:56 PM
Worst starter on the team

he's not a starter.....even though he is starting....

primetime
10-26-2012, 12:58 PM
Fewell does have a point, the Mike linebacker and signal caller is important to any 4-3 defense. Chase's job is to get the d-lineman and linebackers in the right position. A simple mistake could mean a big play by the opposition. Personally I like Chase, he can play all three linebacker positions, and is a good special teams player. He won't wow you with his speed or athleticism, but he's a football player who gives his all every play.

GameTime
10-26-2012, 12:59 PM
Chase came back, we went on a run and the rest is history. He may not be the best but he's good enough for us. I got nothing but respect for Chase. If it wasn't for him, Washington would've probably marched right back down the field.
not only that but he caused a fumble two plays before the fumble the Giants recovered.....
So as some say.."oh big deal. So he has 1 pick, two forced fumbles, pressure that has caused a pick, etc So what....what really matters are his missed tackles. No what really matters is ALL of it. Including gtting the D set up.

BTW...he wasn't on the field when Moss sliced through 8 Giants on the screen for a TD.

I am not sayin ghe is a great MLB but he makes big plays and he knows the position. Oh and BTW.....he is healthy and always ready to play.

blueNorange
10-26-2012, 01:28 PM
he was asked a question and fewell didn't throw him under the bus

njg85m
10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
he was asked a question and fewell didn't throw him under the bus

Throw him under the bus for what exactly?

If this guy was half as bad as some people on this board think he is, he wouldn't be able to make a UFL roster.

Eli TO Shockey
10-26-2012, 01:41 PM
Chase is average at best. That being said, I recall a guy by the name of Greg Jones starting at MLB last year. What a train wreck that was. The moral of the story - it could be worse.

joemorrisforprez
10-26-2012, 02:00 PM
Fewell does have a point, the Mike linebacker and signal caller is important to any 4-3 defense. Chase's job is to get the d-lineman and linebackers in the right position. A simple mistake could mean a big play by the opposition. Personally I like Chase, he can play all three linebacker positions, and is a good special teams player. He won't wow you with his speed or athleticism, but he's a football player who gives his all every play.

I agree....I don't think alot of his critics are giving him enough credit regarding your point.

I'm not calling him a pro-bowler.....but as others have said, we could have alot worse out there.

If someone beats him out for the spot, then it will be a good upgrade, and that's cool with me.

ryan12
10-26-2012, 02:12 PM
look at how much he has grown as a player and lb. he is a solid player who we at 1st only kept because he was a great SP player. i love chase. not the best but a solid player

GMENAGAIN
10-26-2012, 02:13 PM

I actually don't want to come across as a Chase hater, because I like the guy and his work ethic amd his story. If everyone worked as hard as he did, we'd never lose a game.

If we had anybody that could do the job better, that guy would be out on the field. For all the accollades we hear about Herzlich, he is now half-way through his second year and still hasn't been able to beat out Chase.

All that being said, when you view his performance as a whole, I think that he is a below average NFL starter. I probably overreact when some poster focuses on a few good plays that he has made (and he definitely has made good plays), and declares him to be a great player or a key element of the team.

Actually, when you think about it, are Fewel's comments really complimentary???? He is saying that Chase is key to the success of a defense that hasn't really been successful (except in flashes) . . . . .

GameTime
10-26-2012, 02:22 PM
I actually don't want to come across as a Chase hater, because I like the guy and his work ethic amd his story. If everyone worked as hard as he did, we'd never lose a game.

If we had anybody that could do the job better, that guy would be out on the field. For all the accollades we hear about Herzlich, he is now half-way through his second year and still hasn't been able to beat out Chase.

All that being said, when you view his performance as a whole, I think that he is a below average NFL starter. I probably overreact when some poster focuses on a few good plays that he has made (and he definitely has made good plays), and declares him to be a great player or a key element of the team.

Actually, when you think about it, are Fewel's comments really complimentary???? He is saying that Chase is key to the success of a defense that hasn't really been successful (except in flashes) . . . . .

Fewell is saying what we all know. Hate Chase or not he is an average MLB who comes up with big plays at big times. Also he knows and runs the D which is more important with a marginal D then with a top 5 D. He stays healthy and when the time comes will take his seat on the bench AND coach up the starting MLB. A true gamer and team player. Like Deihl.....not the best not the worst but an outstanding team mate and on the field/film room coach.

sheepdip
10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Well at least I can say I am not the only one supporting him. I said he is 1 of our best defenders a while back and most laughed. He is not the fastest or physically gifted but he makes a habit of making big plays. He is smart, tenacious and has good football smarts. I admit he didnt play great last game vs skins but heck no one could tackle that game and a lot of ppl whiffed out there. Everyone says Rolle this and Rolle that yet I see him make lots of mistakes week in week out but I think Chase just doesnt get a fair assessment.

If he were only faster.

blueNorange
10-26-2012, 02:27 PM
Throw him under the bus for what exactly?

If this guy was half as bad as some people on this board think he is, he wouldn't be able to make a UFL roster.

i said it wrong. i like chase, very smart player but it's clear as day to know he's not a starting linebacker or at least a 3 down player.

i appreciate his instincts and i hope herzlich is learning from him. the media sees what we see and fewell answered a question that was about chase being a starter and he responded by pointing out his IQ and getting people in their right spots on the field.

coaching is in chase's future

coachbobbyfinst
10-26-2012, 02:29 PM
Chase has been straight up pimp for us this year! Been getting his mack daddy vibe on BIG TIME!!!!!!

njg85m
10-26-2012, 02:35 PM

You summed up your position very well there. I see what you're saying.

Also, on the Herz note -- that has been worrying me a bit lately as well. I don't know whether he ever will be the same unfortunately or not after cancer, but on the plus side it is only his second year. I'm not sure he would be ready to take over all of Chase's responsibilities quite yet anyway at this point.

GMENAGAIN
10-26-2012, 02:43 PM
You summed up your position very well there. I see what you're saying.

Also, on the Herz note -- that has been worrying me a bit lately as well. I don't know whether he ever will be the same unfortunately or not after cancer, but on the plus side it is only his second year. I'm not sure he would be ready to take over all of Chase's responsibilities quite yet anyway at this point.

Like Chase, Herzlich is a hard guy not to root for . . . . .

GMENAGAIN
10-26-2012, 02:45 PM
Chase has been straight up pimp for us this year! Been getting his mack daddy vibe on BIG TIME!!!!!!

What does this mean? Are you accusing Chase of being involved in something illicit?

njg85m
10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
Like Chase, Herzlich is a hard guy not to root for . . . . .

Agree, but Chase never had the potential that Herz does...Watching his college film gets me pumped. I really hope that he can be 100% again, dude can be a game changer.

egyptian420
10-26-2012, 02:51 PM
What Blackburn lacks in athleticism and ability to shake off blockers he makes up for in his intelligence, heart, leadership, and effort.....you can't teach those things.

That being said, I love the guy. I expect him to mess up several plays but make up for them in a crucial game changing turnover.

Eli TO Shockey
10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
You didn't read my entire post, apparently.

In Reese We Trust
Mathias Kiwanuka on MLB Chase Blackburn: "I think as far as MLBs go, he’s definitely, probably one of the better ones in the league." - CBS Sports

Eli TO Shockey
10-26-2012, 02:56 PM
In Reese We Trust
Mathias Kiwanuka on MLB Chase Blackburn: "I think as far as MLBs go, he’s definitely, probably one of the better ones in the league." - CBS Sports

Apparently, those behind the scenes think very highly of MR. Chase

moosedrool
10-26-2012, 03:06 PM
Apparently, those behind the scenes think very highly of MR. Chase

Then why was he cut last year?

BeatYale
10-26-2012, 03:11 PM
PF is being a company man, which is what players and coaches are suppose to be when addressing the media. It's bad for any coach to speak a negative truth about a player because it creates a perception of incompetency.

JB456
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM

He was cut because they thought a rookie could step in and be the starting MLB. Wow, was that a disaster...

Chase doesn't even have to be great if he keeps forcing turnovers. When the Giants or any team win the turnover battle, they usually win the game.

njg85m
10-26-2012, 03:12 PM

He was not brought back after the lockout because the Giants wanted to get younger at LB. And nothing for nothing, but the D looked a little bit different at the end of the season last year when Chase was brought back then it did in the beginning of the season when he was gone, don't ya think?
Not giving him sole credit for the turnaround, but its obvious that Chase makes more of an impact that you may think.

TheEnigma
10-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Has anyone really ever argued what PF has said about Chase? The criticism has always been aimed at his individual physical abilities whether it is his sideline speed or shedding blocks to make a potential huge run play into something minimal. I do think Chase would of made an excellent MLB in the old days when the league wasn't so athletically demanding.

Toadofsteel
10-26-2012, 03:21 PM
I hope that someday Chase could become our linebackers coach. The thing that makes him so great in spite of his diminished athleticism is precisely what I'd want to have in a coach.

Then again, I'd also like Strahan to be our D-line coach. Hey, we can all dream in the face of lucrative TV deals... :rolleyes:

BParcells777
10-26-2012, 03:28 PM
-+
I like Chase and have defended him on here numerous times. Until we properly groom Herz, or we aquire a FA, draft a pure MLB etc.. Chase is the man in the middle and hes not a bad player guys. Hes not. Just because he doesn't flash 4.5 speed and have a 30 in. vertical doesn't mean he isnt a solid football player. I believe had he not came back for us last season, we likely would not have won that SB. And if he wasn't here this season, we would be getting run on more than we already are.

Hes not your typical NFL Star Athlete. Hes a shorter, chubbier dude with long hair and isnt incredibly fast. I think thats why people dont like him...

If we had someone better on the roster, do you not think they would be playing??

shorter chubbier????????WTF He's 6 foot 3 248 lbs ...........exactly the same size as Urlacher.........I dare you to walk up tp Urlacher in a hotel lobby and tell him hes short and chubby LOL

jintsfan666
10-26-2012, 04:02 PM
Our knowledgeable Giant homers just don't get it. In the day of the salary cap it is impossible to have pro bowlers @ 46 different positions.

Jerry Reese has Chase playing a satisfactory mike for a fifth of the price other clubs are paying. The day Mark Herz. is a better fit than Chase he will start playing more snaps. Until then Reese probably has the mike salary savings ear marked elsewhere. Think Cruz, Hakeem, JPP etc.
Give Reese, and Perry a break. They just may know almost as much as we do about what they are doing roster wise.

jomo
10-26-2012, 04:29 PM
I like Chase and like PF but Chase Blackburn is not "the key to our success." PF is just talking to the press and reaching to give his guy some credit. Maybe Chase is the most underappreciated but "key to our success?" Sorry

CowboysSuck
10-26-2012, 04:36 PM

Thank you. It seems like you have to be Ray Lewis on these boards for anyone to give ANY credit to the MLB. my god... NOBODY...i mean NO ONE STARTS in the NFL if they are an "awful" player like 95% of you seem to think. ****ing pathetic...

CowboysSuck
10-26-2012, 04:48 PM
Ok I give up. So...professional Armchair GM's and Coaches, who would you put your jobs fate in the hands of???

YATittle1962
10-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Chase is a good player

not physically gifted in any way

but has the heart of a lion

I'll take a guy with his warrior heart and average talent over a guy with freakish athleticism and no heart any and every day of the week

John Mendenhall anyone ?

Jack Gregory anyone?

Gary Reasons anyone?

njg85m
10-26-2012, 04:58 PM
Chase is a good player

I'll take a guy with his warrior heart and average talent over a guy with freakish athleticism and no heart any and every day of the week

Summed up perfectly YA.

njg85m
10-26-2012, 04:59 PM
Thank you. It seems like you have to be Ray Lewis on these boards for anyone to give ANY credit to the MLB. my god... NOBODY...i mean NO ONE STARTS in the NFL if they are an "awful" player like 95% of you seem to think. ****ing pathetic...

Glad more people realize this. Honest critiquing of players is great and healthy, but when it comes to Chase I have noticed that people grossly underrate him and will completely ignore anything positive that he does on the field in order to just bash him.
I don't get the hate, especially considering that if it wasn't for him we may not have won SB46.

Shockeystays08
10-26-2012, 05:12 PM
Chase looked like crap in the first half last week and has had some other awful looking moments. He has done well at times and I like his heart and gusto. But to often he tackles air and has the speed of a goat. Great setting up the defense tho and that's a biggie. I sure hope we can improve in that area next season. I thought Herz would be the man by mid season but looks like I'm wrong ...... again!

rainierjef
10-26-2012, 05:27 PM
You are not going to be an All-pro on every snap.
Sometimes in a capped season finding a servicable player and not a liablity is a blessing.
Most teams throw the bank and never see returns on investment, take away what chase has done last year. Focus on this year, is he horrible? No! no one that watches a giants game can honeslty say that. Is he the absolute best MLB in the league or even the division to narrow it down? No! but, he is a smart player that uses his knowledge to suplemement his lack of athelticisim. He makes the plays when they are needed. He knows the defense, When the DC says that it's like him being on the field with Chase out there, you have to believe that and trust that is what it is.

BParcells777
10-26-2012, 05:29 PM
Chase is a good player

John Mendenhall anyone ?

Jack Gregory anyone?

Gary Reasons anyone?

Define physically gifted.........are we talking weightlifting, sprinting, flexibility, eye hand co-ordination? To claim an NFL starting MLBer on a world championship NFL team as not physically gifted is to my way of thinking ludicrous. He makes impact plays, and runs the defense........last year without him there is no way we win the Lombardi. Herzlich had his chance......he was not physically able to run the D or stay on the field..

One of Jim Browns greatest achievements was he did not miss a snap in 9 years of his career......Pierce was the least physicaly gifted MLBer I ever saw
He could not cover your grandmother...but like Chase he captained a WC D

Why Perry would come out and say this if he did not mean it escapes me........what is he doing, speaking in tongues?

Captain Chaos
10-26-2012, 06:11 PM
i guess that's why PF is a DC for a superbowl championship team and i'm clearly not.

i just don't see this guy in the light PF does.

but i'll defer to his judgement

go chase go!

I'm with you,....

Imgrate
10-26-2012, 06:20 PM
The MLB position is one that JR does not invest much into. It is obviously viewed as the least important position on our defense by the FO. because of this thinking, it has led to our starting mlb (chase) being the worst starter on the team. Which I am completely ok with. pass rushers and cover guys win you games on the defensive side of the ball

Giant stuck in Texas
10-26-2012, 07:11 PM
Chase is a good player

John Mendenhall anyone ?

Jack Gregory anyone?

Gary Reasons anyone?

Well said YA...

BParcells777
10-26-2012, 07:12 PM
The MLB position is one that JR does not invest much into. It is obviously viewed as the least important position on our defense by the FO. because of this thinking, it has led to our starting mlb (chase) being the worst starter on the team. Which I am completely ok with. pass rushers and cover guys win you games on the defensive side of the ball

Chase brought you a trophy.........you are a total imgrate

Worst starters? Baas? The Black Unicorn?.....its hard to find bad starters on a championship team.......we could probably field another 22 players who would come in 2nd in the NFC East.......we are that dominant.....its coming..watch

moosedrool
10-26-2012, 07:23 PM
The bottom line is our offense scores enough points, so there is no need to improve the MLB position. Chase wouldn't have even made the team of the 1986 and 1990 super bowl winning teams.

BParcells777
10-26-2012, 07:30 PM
WOW........you guys are incredible. Correy Webster is not having very good year......terrible really
Why not mention that before you call out guy who just saved the game on the last play last week

Generally I have found when your boss says you are the best........you are the best

TheEnigma
10-26-2012, 07:39 PM
WOW........you guys are incredible. Correy Webster is not having very good year......terrible really
Why not mention that before you call who just saved the game on the last play last week

That has happened plenty of times this season. Majority of the threads involving the secondary have comments about Webster's poor play and Prince's great play in contrast.

Giant stuck in Texas
10-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Chase brought you a trophy.........you are a total imgrate

Worst starters? Baas? The Black Unicorn?.....its hard to find bad starters on a championship team.......we could probably field another 22 players who would come in 2nd in the NFC East.......we are that dominant.....its coming..watchI have to agree here.

People forget that if Chase doesn't make that interception in the SuperBowl and play well throughout the post season , there is a very good possibility we are NOT sitting here today with a trophy to brag about.

BlueSanta
10-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Chase is an interesting player. He will play bad for time, like he did for the entire 1st half against the skins. Feel free to review the game if you choose. It was a debacle in the 1st half at the MLb position. He overtended, filled the wrong gap, missed tackles and took bad angles. However, his 2nd half was markedly improved and that is how he plays.

He had made some big plays and he has been a good special teamer for us as well. But he kinda hides in the shadows between his occasional big plays.

I read this artcile a little differently than most. I kinda felt like Perry was challenging Chase putting some responsibility on his shoulders. He really did have a terrible 1st half last week. In fact, it was the worst play at the MLB position Ive seen on this team in years. Luckily, he turned it around. I think Perry was just letting him know how important hr is and play like that 1st half again, and this defense will struggle again.

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 08:05 PM
The Giants' defense has been soft in the middle either on passes over the middle or runs up the middle. That is primarily the responsibility of the middle linebacker. Heart can only make up for athleticism so much.

BParcells777
10-26-2012, 08:47 PM
We could go 19-0 one year and there will be complaints on this board

"Well why in the heck did we allow anyone to score on us"..........its Chase's fault dammitt

Moke
10-26-2012, 08:52 PM
He didn't really say Chase was the best defensive player we had. He basically he said he's the QB of the defense. He reads the defense, knows how to get the defense aware.

Don't see why this would be a problem to people. I trust PF in that, Chase seems like the guy who does this.

nycisgreat
10-26-2012, 08:55 PM
The Giants' defense has been soft in the middle either on passes over the middle or runs up the middle. That is primarily the responsibility of the middle linebacker. Heart can only make up for athleticism so much.

So I guess Chase plays both tackle positions on defense. lol.

nycisgreat
10-26-2012, 08:56 PM
He didn't really say Chase was the best defensive player we had. He basically he said he's the QB of the defense. He reads the defense, knows how to get the defense aware.

Don't see why this would be a problem to people. I trust PF in that, Chase seems like the guy who does this.

He didn't. He is doing a good job of getting the D in good position to make plays.

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 09:02 PM
So I guess Chase plays both tackle positions on defense. lol.

No, but he is supposed to stuff the run up the middle as the tackle occupies an o-lineman and he is also supposed to drop back into the middle when he reads pass. The Giants' defense has been notoriously soft up the middle and that means the tackles and Chase. He is the last line of commited defense up the middle. If he can't stop them then he has to at least hold them until he gets help.

Every once in awhile he is in position...when he came back off the couch he got his interception by dropping into the middle like he is supposed to. The defense that Fewell runs the middle backer is an integral cog. Blackburn is adequate, but the position needs a serious upgrade. As I said before heart can only compensate for athleticism so much..

Moke
10-26-2012, 09:18 PM
No, but he is supposed to stuff the run up the middle as the tackle occupies an o-lineman and he is also supposed to drop back into the middle when he reads pass. The Giants' defense has been notoriously soft up the middle and that means the tackles and Chase. He is the last line of commited defense up the middle. If he can't stop them then he has to at least hold them until he gets help.

Every once in awhile he is in position...when he came back off the couch he got his interception by dropping into the middle like he is supposed to. The defense that Fewell runs the middle backer is an integral cog. Blackburn is adequate, but the position needs a serious upgrade. As I said before heart can only compensate for athleticism so much..

I know Perry Fewell might be stupid at times, but I'm sure him and co. aren't THAT stupid. To say we need a serious upgrade is an understatement.

Rat_bastich
10-26-2012, 09:32 PM
I know Perry Fewell might be stupid at times, but I'm sure him and co. aren't THAT stupid. To say we need a serious upgrade is an understatement.

Yeah that was kind of the point of what I was saying. Was kind of weighing in on what others had been saying. Pretty much comes down to what else could Fewell say? He can't dog Chase out...he is all Fewell has at this point and he at least owes it to him for last year.

JJC7301
10-26-2012, 10:12 PM
I like Chase more than Goff, and I think that he's good value for the little emphasis that the Giants put at LB. If we ever drafted a better player, then great. Otherwise Chase is good. He's not the reason why the D is inconsistent. That falls on the D-line.

B&RWarrior
10-26-2012, 11:04 PM
Chase Blackburn is Harry Carson without the athleticism......by that, I mean he's a smart player, rarely out of position.

Physically, I'd rate him a C+. He's not fast, and doesn't have that hitting power you'd see from a Carson, Taylor, Ray Lewis, etc.

Positionally (i.e., reading a play, taking the proper angle), I'd rate him a B+.

Every time I dog him (which is usually a couple times a game) he'll come up and make a play.

If the guy had the speed of J. Williams, he'd be a pro-bowler......but he does the best with the body he's got.

"He's Harry Carson without the athleticism" LMAO I'm Usain Bolt without the speed. Saying CB is not athletic says it all. Football is a sport built on and dominated by men with superior athletic ability. I agree with your assessment of CB.

What do people expect PF to say about his starting LB? He's not gonna bash the guy in front a bunch of reporters. This team is built around it's offense. That's where we are going to spend the money to keep the most important players. Our winning formula under Coughlin doesn't include superstar LBs and we will stick with what works.

BeatYale
10-27-2012, 02:38 AM
Sterling Sharpe said "I keep waiting for the Giants to replace Chase Blackburn at middle linebacker" on NFL Networks playbook show, which is all about X's and O's. He obviously hasn't liked what he's seen on tape this season.

GMan-67
10-27-2012, 03:34 AM
9th in points allowed and getting healthier ... big picture people

GMan-67
10-27-2012, 03:38 AM
Sterling Sharpe said "I keep waiting for the Giants to replace Chase Blackburn at middle linebacker" on NFL Networks playbook show, which is all about X's and O's. He obviously hasn't liked what he's seen on tape this season.

ha, the LB expert, Sterling Sharpe

plus we are all guilty of saying ... hey this guy doesnt look like Harry Carson, Mike Singletary or Brian Urlacher