PDA

View Full Version : Brown Providing Depth In Secondary

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 09:08 AM
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/brown_providing_depth_in_secondary_HExPXCs1saE8hW5 JQpVImL

Excerpt: "This past offseason, free agent safety Stevie Brown visited the Giants, meeting with team executives, coaches and players. They all made an impression on him of authenticity, camaraderie and singular focus.

“Everybody seemed genuine and everybody had each other’s back and everybody had one goal, and that was to win,” Brown recalled yesterday. “That’s why I wanted to come here.”

Brown likely will start his fourth straight game at strong safety for the Giants tomorrow, and he will be looking to stay perfect — Big Blue are 4-0 in Brown’s four starts. The under-the-radar acquisition, designed to provide safety depth behind starters Antrel Rolle and Kenny Phillips, has been superb since replacing the injured Phillips in Week 5. The Giants have beaten the Browns, 49ers and Redskins, and Brown has helped deliver three turnovers during the stretch.

Against Cleveland, he intercepted a pass and recovered a fumble. Then against Washington, he picked off another pass. Each of his interception returns have been for at least 40 yards.

“He has really come through for us in a big way,” coach Tom Coughlin said after last Sunday’s 27-23 victory over the Redskins. “Stevie finds the ball or the ball finds him, one way or the other.” Read more...

miked1958
10-27-2012, 09:28 AM
A very pleasant surprise

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 09:37 AM
A very pleasant surprise +1

jomo
10-27-2012, 10:48 AM
+1I think referring to him as "depth" understates his ability and impact.

EnragedYouth85
10-27-2012, 11:10 AM
We might have picked him up for depth but he's playing like a starter! I love surprises like that!

Captain Chaos
10-27-2012, 11:13 AM
Certainly has been doing an excellent job for us. Makes you forget about Grant and he was a heckofa player!!

EnragedYouth85
10-27-2012, 11:16 AM
Certainly has been doing an excellent job for us. Makes you forget about Grant and he was a heckofa player!!

Yeah Grant did a lot of good things for this team, I think teaching the new guys was his best attribute. He made great plays but now we have a younger, faster guy in here making all sorts of plays! Right place, right time.. thats why you study the film.

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 11:59 AM
I think referring to him as "depth" understates his ability and impact.

Probably in deference to KP, but i don't disagree

Rod-Diggity
10-27-2012, 12:06 PM
can't wait till KP gets healthy it's only gonna boost our secondary even more. The secondary might actually turn into a strong point as the season progresses once everyones good to go.

jomo
10-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Probably in deference to KP, but i don't disagreeYep, I kinda knew that but was just standing up for the job he's done for us. "Depth" to me is like DJ Ware. lol

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Yep, I kinda knew that but was just standing up for the job he's done for us. "Depth" to me is like DJ Ware. lol

I know I sound like a broken record, but one more testament to the "build through the draft" philosophy.

BigBlue1971
10-27-2012, 03:17 PM
Brown is a ball hawk back there! hopefully hes with the Giants a long time and keeps improving each time hes on the field!

egyptian420
10-27-2012, 03:48 PM
Love this guy, going to love him even more when him, Rolle, and KP are all sharing snaps back there.

I have a feeling Will Hill is the next man up after those 3, then Sash.

Toadofsteel
10-27-2012, 04:28 PM
I smell 3 safety set. Imagine what Stevie could do if he has KP behind him to cover downfield and take away the deep ball... you would basically have to know where he is at all times. Stevie could basically wind up man-to-man on any receiver at any point, disappear from a play only to show up and intercept the ball at the most random points, and even rush the passer. Really it's only his deep ball coverage that's lacking...

Giants5699
10-27-2012, 05:12 PM
I smell 3 safety set. Imagine what Stevie could do if he has KP behind him to cover downfield and take away the deep ball... you would basically have to know where he is at all times. Stevie could basically wind up man-to-man on any receiver at any point, disappear from a play only to show up and intercept the ball at the most random points, and even rush the passer. Really it's only his deep ball coverage that's lacking...

+1
love those 3 safety sets.

egyptian420
10-27-2012, 07:43 PM
I smell 3 safety set. Imagine what Stevie could do if he has KP behind him to cover downfield and take away the deep ball... you would basically have to know where he is at all times. Stevie could basically wind up man-to-man on any receiver at any point, disappear from a play only to show up and intercept the ball at the most random points, and even rush the passer. Really it's only his deep ball coverage that's lacking...Agreed, I can't wait for this to happen. We had the same thing going last year with Rolle, KP and Grant....I'd like to think Brown is better than Grant and that this trio will be super efficient.

Another issue we had last year was the lack of depth at CB and Rolle would have to cover guys one on one, leaving KP and Grant to take care of the backfield.....I don't think we'll be seeing too much of that anymore (maybe the odd time to confuse the offense).

If Webster, Prince, Coe/Hosley handle their busienss, and the 3 safeties handle theirs...this could potentially be the best secondary we've had in some time.

giantsfan420
10-27-2012, 09:02 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but one more testament to the "build through the draft" philosophy.
well i dunno how that applies to brown...

but one thing, read the last paragraph or so of the article. brown says that he thinks hes done his job bc he hasnt cost us a game or put us in a bad situation. i agree, but i'd like him to raise the expectation level a bit lol. hes def good enough to where he doesnt need to worry bout costing us the game although its easy to understand that train of thought with someone in browns situation. but hes played well enough where he can start thinking how hes gonna make the plays to help us win even tho hes doing that already...just a mind set thing is all

mainefan
10-27-2012, 11:58 PM
well i dunno how that applies to brown...

but one thing, read the last paragraph or so of the article. brown says that he thinks hes done his job bc he hasnt cost us a game or put us in a bad situation. i agree, but i'd like him to raise the expectation level a bit lol. hes def good enough to where he doesnt need to worry bout costing us the game although its easy to understand that train of thought with someone in browns situation. but hes played well enough where he can start thinking how hes gonna make the plays to help us win even tho hes doing that already...just a mind set thing is all

Brown, and Hill give us a tremenous improvement over last year. I think Sash will eventually play a role. One poster mentioned Brown was bad on the long passes, but I recall Coughlin stating how fast he was, so that should correct itself with experience.

Antwuan
10-28-2012, 04:25 AM
Stevie Brown Is Playing Well, I Hope He Keeps It Up.

Rat_bastich
10-28-2012, 05:11 AM
When I saw Brown I thought...first David Diehl as a jumbo tight end, literally and figuratively, and now Andre Brown as a defensive back. I think it is too early in the morning to be looking at these boards.

DownWitJPP
10-28-2012, 10:15 AM
there's a real possibility that Stevie is next years starting safety alongside Antrel Rolle. KP's contract is up and he will command big money on the open market. I just don't see how they can keep KP and Rolle and pay them both 35-40 Mill when they have Cruz, Nicks, and JPP to pay in the next few years

or they could cut Rolle and pay KP...and have Stevie or Will Hill play alongside him.

BParcells777
10-28-2012, 10:26 AM
He's already our best Saftey...........WAKE UP

miked1958
10-28-2012, 10:46 AM
He's already our best Saftey...........WAKE UPi agree. This guy is ALL OVER THE PLACE!!!

miked1958
10-28-2012, 10:47 AM
You know, he is actually playing like we have all expected KP to produce for us when we got him

Joe Morrison
10-28-2012, 11:07 AM
You know, he is actually playing like we have all expected KP to produce for us when we got him
Reminded me of CC Brown at first but has turned it around, seems to have a good nose for the ball and good tackler, see how he does with Dez today, we know Webby will let Dez off the line a couple times and Brown can't get caught looking in the backfield.