PDA

View Full Version : Keys To Victory vs. Cowboys

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 11:35 AM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Keys-to-victory-vs-Cowboys/9f59780f-be83-4cd2-9b2a-aa4e1a92405c

1) Embrace the rivalry.
Tom Coughlin considers the NFC East the toughest division in football and treats every matchup within it like two games in its significance to the postseason hunt. It all starts with the division.

2) Contain Tony Romo.
The Dallas quarterback is “slippery” (as defined by Osi Umenyiora) with his ability to extend plays. Romo frustrated the Giants defense in their last meeting by doing so en route to completing 22 of 29 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns. His 129.5 passer rating that night is his highest of this season.

3) Limit the big plays on defense.
The difference between needing late dramatics and controlling a game for the Giants is their ability to keep everything in front of them on defense. In the first game this season against the Giants, the Cowboys had four players who had plays of 30 yards or longer.

4) Make them one-dimensional.
The Cowboys will be without their leading rusher DeMarco Murray once again, while Felix Jones was limited this week and is listed as questionable with his own knee injury. Murray gashed the Giants in Week 1 with 131 yards, including a 48-yarder, while the Cowboys rushed for 143 yards. Take advantage of his absence.

5) Limit the mistakes.
The Giants have the second-fewest penalties and penalty yards in the NFL. On the road and in the division is tough enough, and not beating yourself is the first challenge in that atmosphere.

6) Win the field position battle.
Games like these can turn at the drop of a dime. Special teams will need to be on point while an explosive return can spark the Giants on the road.

7) Force the issue.
Takeaways are there to be had in Dallas. The Cowboys have turned the ball over 13 times in six games with nine interceptions and four fumbles.

8) Don’t break.
It’s not the ideal way to go about it, but the Giants defense has given up 379.7 yards per game (24th in the NFL) but is eighth in points allowed at 19.6. The Cowboys are usually able to get their yards on offense, but the Giants defense just needs to continue to clamp down when it matters most.

9) Win the turnover battle.
This is a no-brainer each week, but the Giants both won and almost lost last week due to turnovers. Dallas has a minus-7 turnover ratio this year, while the Giants are one of the best in the NFL with a plus-9.

10) Get off the field on third down.
This includes putting bodies on Jason Witten. When Tony Romo is extending plays, he’s usually doing so on third down and trying to find his tight end. The perennial Pro Bowler has caught 29 passes for 244 yards in his past three games.

Carlos C
10-27-2012, 11:40 AM
That's quite a list of things. I would say 2,3 ad 5 are most important to me.

2- Containing Romo cause we tend to have issues with mobile QB's. Romo isn't RG3 but he isn't a statue in the pocket either.

3- Limit the big plays on Defense. A no brainer which should be on every week. The Giants tend to give up huge plays especially when facing players like DeSean Jackson (Eagles) and Dez Bryan who I cannot stand!

5- Limit mistakes! Our GMEN tend to make games harder than they should be due to mistakes, self inflicted wounds.

Joe Morrison
10-27-2012, 12:10 PM
We know the GMEN will stop the run with Felix leading the charge, we know they can't protect Tony so the threat of the long ball is gone, they need to man up and play press coverage and keep him in the pocket, if they play off Tony will torch them all day with the short game, and as needed as Chase is to keep everything in order, someone else needs to cover Witten.

hungrrrry
10-27-2012, 12:58 PM
http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Keys-to-victory-vs-Cowboys/9f59780f-be83-4cd2-9b2a-aa4e1a92405c

1) Embrace the rivalry.
Tom Coughlin considers the NFC East the toughest division in football and treats every matchup within it like two games in its significance to the postseason hunt. It all starts with the division.

2) Contain Tony Romo.
The Dallas quarterback is “slippery” (as defined by Osi Umenyiora) with his ability to extend plays. Romo frustrated the Giants defense in their last meeting by doing so en route to completing 22 of 29 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns. His 129.5 passer rating that night is his highest of this season.

The difference between needing late dramatics and controlling a game for the Giants is their ability to keep everything in front of them on defense. In the first game this season against the Giants, the Cowboys had four players who had plays of 30 yards or longer.

The Cowboys will be without their leading rusher DeMarco Murray once again, while Felix Jones was limited this week and is listed as questionable with his own knee injury. Murray gashed the Giants in Week 1 with 131 yards, including a 48-yarder, while the Cowboys rushed for 143 yards. Take advantage of his absence.

5) Limit the mistakes.
The Giants have the second-fewest penalties and penalty yards in the NFL. On the road and in the division is tough enough, and not beating yourself is the first challenge in that atmosphere.

Games like these can turn at the drop of a dime. Special teams will need to be on point while an explosive return can spark the Giants on the road.

7) Force the issue.
Takeaways are there to be had in Dallas. The Cowboys have turned the ball over 13 times in six games with nine interceptions and four fumbles.

8) Don’t break.
It’s not the ideal way to go about it, but the Giants defense has given up 379.7 yards per game (24th in the NFL) but is eighth in points allowed at 19.6. The Cowboys are usually able to get their yards on offense, but the Giants defense just needs to continue to clamp down when it matters most.

This is a no-brainer each week, but the Giants both won and almost lost last week due to turnovers. Dallas has a minus-7 turnover ratio this year, while the Giants are one of the best in the NFL with a plus-9.

This includes putting bodies on Jason Witten. When Tony Romo is extending plays, he’s usually doing so on third down and trying to find his tight end. The perennial Pro Bowler has caught 29 passes for 244 yards in his past three games.
One of our biggest issues against the Cowboys was our Oline...we were abused in the last game but that was with Locklear at LT and Diehl at RT....with our new combo of Locklear at RT and Beatty doing quite well at LT, I think just this difference will be all we ned to top Dallas tomorrow...however, our run game has improved and now all three of our RBs has proven capable of carrying the rock and with Sean Lee out, Dallas is very vulnerable to our running talent.....with that said, Dallas will need to cheat up some guys into the box leaving pass coverage thin and creating the ability for things to happen with Eli, Nicks, Cruz and Hixon.

True, our defense may still be suspect but Prince is rounding out nicely and Hosely looks very capable with an occassional rookie brainfart. Stevie Brown has looked better and Coe won't be on the field.

My main concern is still the LB's and Witten converting 3rd downs to 1st downs. He will be healthier this game!

Regardless of Murray being out, I expect our front 7 to be exposed by the run...Felix will get over 100 yds...I believe the injury talk is a decoy tactic....Dallas will total more than 125 on the ground on our defense and that sickens me! These guys need to step up their containment and tackling skills

Coaching will be key and dialing up a blitz now and then can't hurt. Teams must see on tape that we rarely blitz so throwing a few in there could be a difference-maker.

I expect David Wilson will have some big returns in this game and maybe 5-8 touches to redeem his 1st game dog-housing.

JesseJames
10-27-2012, 04:57 PM
I know Witten runs very precise routes and him and Romo work on this all the time but there has to be a way for us to do a better job of covering Witten, he's been a thorn in our sides for years now doing the same thing game after game..

BlueReign
10-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Witten is so good at helping Romo when he's under pressure/on the run.

BigBlueAllDay
10-27-2012, 05:57 PM
Take advantage of the fact that Sean Lee isn't in their defensive lineup. Another poster already mentioned it, but based off the first game, have anyone except Tryon cover Olgetree.

Captain Chaos
10-27-2012, 06:26 PM
Got to keep that pressure up the middle coming at him, he doesn't handle that all that well, and if he rolls into one of our DEs all the better!

Joe Morrison
10-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Take advantage of the fact that Sean Lee isn't in their defensive lineup. Another poster already mentioned it, but based off the first game, have anyone except Tryon cover Olgetree.

Here's a little info. on Ogletree: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/ogletree_Zg9fXwoUuKKcDG26ng5JnM

bigjeep
10-27-2012, 07:00 PM

1) Embrace the rivalry.

2) Contain Tony Romo.

5) Limit the mistakes.

7) Force the issue.

8) Don’t break.

Eli will win it with 25 seconds left in the game this time! Eli to Bennet!

merritt
10-27-2012, 07:47 PM
I know Witten runs very precise routes and him and Romo work on this all the time but there has to be a way for us to do a better job of covering Witten, he's been a thorn in our sides for years now doing the same thing game after game..

Romo draws routes in Witten's chest hair with his finger while laying in bed together. They have great chemistry.

TextureDj
10-27-2012, 07:49 PM
Romo draws routes in Witten's chest hair with his finger while laying in bed together. They have great chemistry.Post of the week, Hell, post of the month.

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 08:04 PM
One of our biggest issues against the Cowboys was our Oline...we were abused in the last game but that was with Locklear at LT and Diehl at RT....with our new combo of Locklear at RT and Beatty doing quite well at LT, I think just this difference will be all we ned to top Dallas tomorrow...however, our run game has improved and now all three of our RBs has proven capable of carrying the rock and with Sean Lee out, Dallas is very vulnerable to our running talent.....with that said, Dallas will need to cheat up some guys into the box leaving pass coverage thin and creating the ability for things to happen with Eli, Nicks, Cruz and Hixon.

True, our defense may still be suspect but Prince is rounding out nicely and Hosely looks very capable with an occassional rookie brainfart. Stevie Brown has looked better and Coe won't be on the field.

My main concern is still the LB's and Witten converting 3rd downs to 1st downs. He will be healthier this game!

Regardless of Murray being out, I expect our front 7 to be exposed by the run...Felix will get over 100 yds...I believe the injury talk is a decoy tactic....Dallas will total more than 125 on the ground on our defense and that sickens me! These guys need to step up their containment and tackling skills

Coaching will be key and dialing up a blitz now and then can't hurt. Teams must see on tape that we rarely blitz so throwing a few in there could be a difference-maker.

I expect David Wilson will have some big returns in this game and maybe 5-8 touches to redeem his 1st game dog-housing.

It will be interesting to see if the put Diehl in at TE where he's been practicing this week.

dave56dj
10-27-2012, 09:29 PM
One thing we need to consider is Witten was not right in week one - he has gotten going now and will be a tough cover. I expect to see a lot of rivers and less kiwi. Be nice to have jwill but he is still out.

DEFENSE AS USUAL HAS TO GET HOME.

If nicks is back to 100 percent he has to get off press better then he did week 1 and should.

BigBlueAllDay
10-27-2012, 11:48 PM
Here's a little info. on Ogletree: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/giants/ogletree_Zg9fXwoUuKKcDG26ng5JnM

I agree with the article. The Giant's CB depth has "stabilized" since that week 1 game and there will be better coverage this time around. This should create a bit more hesitiation for Romo and help the Giants pass rush and the rest of the defense for that matter.