PDA

View Full Version : Who's Better Hakeem Nicks or Victor Cruz?

Carlos C
10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
Would love to hear your feedback. I am a huge Nicks fan but Cruz is durable and makes huge plays. Some stats in the article for 2011 and 2012.

Excerpt:
Who do you think is the better wide receiver Hakeem Nicks or Victor Cruz?

The New York Giants have a good problem on their hands, two extremely talented and young WR's, both looking to get paid!

Article:
http://giantskickoff.com/2012/10/26/who-is-better-hakeem-nicks-or-victor-cruz/

Rudyy
10-27-2012, 12:52 PM
Sorry I don't mean to come off as rude, but the Nicks vs Cruz debates are almost as bad as the Eli vs (insert QB) threads.

Carlos C
10-27-2012, 01:02 PM
Sorry I don't mean to come off as rude, but the Nicks vs Cruz debates are almost as bad as the Eli vs (insert QB) threads.

Not rude at all, your opinion is yours and a valid one. If others feel the same then they won't chime in and the post will go into the depths of irrelevancy. it happens not a big deal Rudyy.

ShakeandBake
10-27-2012, 01:04 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIjEuKSFpQ6G95SPwB5jrK4sPcRQ8vt joP1pyP5rQHdHCBXbqc8Q

Joe Morrison
10-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Simply said, Cruz shows up every Game!

Rudyy
10-27-2012, 01:13 PM
Not rude at all, your opinion is yours and a valid one. If others feel the same then they won't chime in and the post will go into the depths of irrelevancy. it happens not a big deal Rudyy.Thanks for understanding.

To answer your question, both are top 5 receivers in my eyes however they are different. Nicks is physical, and can beat almost every coverage. Cruz is the shifty/the big play maker. It's' hard to answer because Nicks has been battling injuries and so far Cruz has been lighting it up.

tcseacliff
10-27-2012, 01:14 PM
a good comparison, but at the same time, almost apples oranges. they each bring mad talent to the game with skills unique to them. Cruz
is fast,good hands, skilled , Nicks has a presence on the field that Cruz does not have, just glad they are giants! ALL IN!

idiotekniQues
10-27-2012, 01:34 PM
it's a fair comparison, and the fact that it is really hard to make a choice just shows how lucky we are. right now Cruz is better simply because he is healthy. But Nicks is a beast. heck they both are. they each have a little something different but at the end of the day, when healthy, you'd still be hard pressed to say one or the other.

penguinfarmer
10-27-2012, 01:37 PM
Rabble rabble.

They're both in blue and that's all I care about.

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 01:49 PM
My vote goes to Victor Nicks

Mohann
10-27-2012, 01:55 PM
Nicks is more Physical, very useful vs the Eagles, and Cruz is more explosive. Apples and Oranges. I wouldn't say either is better.

Ruttiger711
10-27-2012, 01:56 PM
My vote goes to Victor Nicks

I dont know - Hakeem Cruz is having a better year so far :)

But to the OP - lots of threads going on already - if your're really interested in the opinions of this board on this particular subject there's plenty of it in black and white already even if the titles dont direclty say so.

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?21829-Cruz-Nicks-Contract-Dilemma

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?21807-Giants-Hakeem-Nicks-Has-A-quot-Great-quot-Practice-Says-He-s-A-Lot-Healthier

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?21763-Cruz-Hoping-For-Long-Term-Deal

FrankAE
10-27-2012, 02:09 PM
Nicks is the better receiver, when teams put their best cb on Cruz then I can say different. Nicks manned up wins vs anyone. Defenses know this and throw their best cb on him with safety help. The respect he demands is unbelievable.

Cruz is the best slot receiver in the league and for a guy they call "not a big guy" he sure plays tougher than most

Carlos C
10-27-2012, 02:09 PM
I dont know - Hakeem Cruz is having a better year so far :)

But to the OP - lots of threads going on already - if your're really interested in the opinions of this board on this particular subject there's plenty of it in black and white already even if the titles dont direclty say so.

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?21829-Cruz-Nicks-Contract-Dilemma

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?21807-Giants-Hakeem-Nicks-Has-A-quot-Great-quot-Practice-Says-He-s-A-Lot-Healthier

http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?21763-Cruz-Hoping-For-Long-Term-Deal

I definitely am and will read, thank.

I do like that Hakeem Cruz! Lol.

BeatYale
10-27-2012, 02:10 PM
My vote goes to Ramses Bennett.

juice33s
10-27-2012, 02:13 PM
At the start of the season I would of said Nicks, but Cruz just keeps making big time plays. Over the last 10 season's Victor Curz is tied for the most 70+ yard TD's with 6......He's only played one and a half seasons. Lol that's rediculous.

but for debate let's break it down
Hands- cruz
Speed- Cruz
Quickness- Cruz
Route Running- cruz
Body Control- Cruz
Size- Nicks
Catch radius- Nicks
Catch in traffic- Tie
Blocking- Nicks
Durability-Cruz
YAC- Tie

B&RWarrior
10-27-2012, 02:17 PM
This is an old argument. Black Madden will address it. Nicks is the better WR. He is the better route runner, he's the better deep threat, he has better hands, and he is faster when healthy. So far Cruz has proven more durable. Cruz routes are good but not as good as Nicks. Cruz is the quicker of the two.

Nicks>Cruz.

B&RWarrior
10-27-2012, 02:21 PM
At the start of the season I would of said Nicks, but Cruz just keeps making big time plays. Over the last 10 season's Victor Curz is tied for the most 70+ yard TD's with 6......He's only played one and a half seasons. Lol that's rediculous.

Hands- cruz
Speed- Cruz
Quickness- Cruz
Route Running- cruz
Body Control- Cruz
Size- Nicks
Catch radius- Nicks
Catch in traffic- Tie
Blocking- Nicks
Durability-Cruz
YAC- Tie

Hands Cruz??? not even close Nicks easy. Speed- Nicks check the 40 times Route running- Nicks this one can be argued, but most agree Nicks

Ruttiger711
10-27-2012, 02:30 PM

Hands- cruz
Speed- Cruz
Quickness- Cruz
Route Running- cruz
Body Control- Cruz
Size- Nicks
Catch radius- Nicks
Catch in traffic- Tie
Blocking- Nicks
Durability-Cruz
YAC- Tie

Although I did read your whole post, your first line stopped me right in my tracks.

Nicks has practically the BEST hands the Giants have seen.

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 02:33 PM

Hands- cruz
Speed- Cruz
Quickness- Cruz
Route Running- cruz
Body Control- Cruz
Size- Nicks
Catch radius- Nicks
Catch in traffic- Tie
Blocking- Nicks
Durability-Cruz
YAC- Tie

I'd add versatility for Cruz as he works equally well on the outside or in the slot.

Carlos C
10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
I'd add versatility for Cruz as he works equally well on the outside or in the slot.

Agree. I went in looking to pick Nicks over Cruz. Again both are great and we are lucky to have them. They should both get signed but if we could only sign one who would it be.

Nicks I believe is the better naturally gifted WR, he is BIG, strong, great hands (damn sounds a little weird lol), good speed. But Cruz seems to just have a knack for huge plays. He also makes himself more available for Manning who seems to look for him more often cause he is willing to go into the middle of the field. Very good slot receiver.

egyptian420
10-27-2012, 02:44 PM
I'll give you the same answer I give to people that ask me who's better between Tupac and Biggie.....I love em both equally.

They both bring unique qualities to the table and we need both of them.

BParcells777
10-27-2012, 02:47 PM
Cruz is more elusive, and more injury free...........Cruz definitly if we could only keep one

juice33s
10-27-2012, 03:09 PM
Hands Cruz??? not even close Nicks easy. Speed- Nicks check the 40 times Route running- Nicks this one can be argued, but most agree Nicks
Cruz's drops have nothing to do with his hands and everything to do with concentration and looking to make a move before looking the ball in. Hands wise he has some of the softest most natural pass catching hands around.

As for speed, I checked the 40 time. Cruz ran a 4.47 at his pro day, Nicks ran a 4.63 at the combine

jintsfan666
10-27-2012, 03:16 PM
Nicks is the better receiver, when teams put their best cb on Cruz then I can say different. Nicks manned up wins vs anyone. Defenses know this and throw their best cb on him with safety help. The respect he demands is unbelievable.

Cruz is the best slot receiver in the league and for a guy they call "not a big guy" he sure plays tougher than most

I would imagine Patriot fans may have someone else in mind. But since I am not a Patsie fan I have to agree with you.

giantsfan420
10-27-2012, 03:23 PM
I would imagine Patriot fans may have someone else in mind. But since I am not a Patsie fan I have to agree with you.
its close but i think cruz's much better/consistent big play ability puts him ahead slightly

keyofgmen
10-27-2012, 03:36 PM
I'll give you the same answer I give to people that ask me who's better between Tupac and Biggie.....I love em both equally.

They both bring unique qualities to the table and we need both of them.

Who do those guys play for?..never heard of them......

Ruttiger711
10-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Cruz's drops have nothing to do with his hands and everything to do with concentration and looking to make a move before looking the ball in. Hands wise he has some of the softest most natural pass catching hands around.

As for speed, I checked the 40 time. Cruz ran a 4.47 at his pro day, Nicks ran a 4.63 at the combine

ESPN lists Cruz at the same 4.47 but has Nicks at 4.51

egyptian420
10-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Who do those guys play for?..never heard of them......Haha...that's a good joke

juice33s
10-27-2012, 03:44 PM
ESPN lists Cruz at the same 4.47 but has Nicks at 4.51
Hakeem Nick's NFL combine profile has him at 4.63
http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/hakeem-nicks?id=80672

But I do remember hearing around draft time that Nicks was a 4.5 guy, which does sound a little more accurate.

BeatYale
10-27-2012, 04:03 PM
We need them both. Both are great receivers.

However, I understand the heavy support for Cruz, because we live in a world of "what have you done for me lately?"

Fharcyde
10-27-2012, 04:13 PM
I'm going to say Hakeem Nicks. Being plagued with injuries doesn't change the amount of talent Nicks possesses. It's a fair question to ask though because both receivers are elite.

thegiantsrule10
10-27-2012, 04:50 PM
Lets all be just be glad they're on our team and will hopefully be here till they retire.

BigBlue1971
10-27-2012, 04:57 PM
both of these guys are each one of best in the league but at this point Cruz has to be the #1 for the Giants!

as someone before alluded its a "what have you done for me lately" league therefore it has to be Cruz!

hopefully Nicks will regain full health then we can revisit this question after our 5th sb win.

my concern now is getting both signed for the future!

gmen46
10-27-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm going to say Hakeem Nicks. Being plagued with injuries doesn't change the amount of talent Nicks possesses. It's a fair question to ask though because both receivers are elite.

I agree with you regarding Nicks and his talent, although the injury factor should not be underestimated when considering the total contributions from both receivers.

When a player cannot be depended upon for specific games, he has zero impact for the Giants for that specific game, as opposed to the player who is active. I don't agree, however, with those on this board who believe Reese will inevitably be forced to choose between the 2. I have complete confidence he will find a way to fairly (re compensation) keep both.

And, although we can now legitimately feel supremely confident in Eli's abilities to make any of his "next-man-up-receivers" perform at highly competitive levels in any given game--and that's a great feeling to have, for the players, coaches, AND fans-- the fact is that both Nicks and Cruz are extraordinary receivers who can consistently create nightmares for any defense, in every game they are respectively active for.

While the classic WR duos of Dallas' Irvin and Harper of early 90's and of Niners' Rice and Taylor of mid-late 80's were truly impressive and intimidating to all opponents of the time, I see our Nicks-Cruz combo as more akin to the 70's Steelers' Swann and Stalworth.

I'm sure Steelers' fans would have had the same debate and fear of losing one or the other if they had Free Agency and Salary Cap to consider back then.

Having said all that, however, I do recognize the competitive market place known as Free Agency in the NFL. Like all Giants fans, I love watching both Nicks and Cruz play and I experience the irrational vicarious pride--along with the thrill-- associated with the both of them playing for our Giants. If one of them departs to another team for a better contract, I will be greatly disappointed even though I will understand the decisions involved.

The great news, though, is that as long as Eli is the driver behind the wheel of the offensive engine, the Giants will thrive, regardless of what happens regarding these two WRs. (I still hope both are retained, though!!! :D

DragonSoul
10-27-2012, 05:19 PM
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTIjEuKSFpQ6G95SPwB5jrK4sPcRQ8vt joP1pyP5rQHdHCBXbqc8Q I just saw it twitch.

gmen46
10-27-2012, 05:46 PM

Patriots fans may not place Cruz over Welker as best slot receiver in the league today, but I'll venture to say Belichick does.

For what it's worth, I find it interesting that Troy Aikman considers Cruz to be the best slot receiver today. Certainly no Giants fan, there.

NYGabriel
10-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Neither are as good as Sinorice Moss.

RagTime Blue
10-27-2012, 06:33 PM
Next time Nicks has a big game, someone else will start the same thread. . .the "I told ya so" thread.

For the record, I'm in favor of cheerleaders, but NOT bringing back the red jerseys OR Plaxico Burress.

GMENAGAIN
10-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Barden is better than both of them combined because he is tall.

zimonami
10-27-2012, 07:25 PM
Since watching the Gmen from 1958, Nicks and Cruz are the best WR's I have ever seen on our team. I won't choose a favorite. Just always pleased every catch either of them makes.
You want to know what 'sick' would really be? Nicks and Cruz, along with Bavaro.

B&RWarrior
10-27-2012, 07:40 PM
I agree with you regarding Nicks and his talent, although the injury factor should not be underestimated when considering the total contributions from both receivers.

When a player cannot be depended upon for specific games, he has zero impact for the Giants for that specific game, as opposed to the player who is active. I don't agree, however, with those on this board who believe Reese will inevitably be forced to choose between the 2. I have complete confidence he will find a way to fairly (re compensation) keep both.

And, although we can now legitimately feel supremely confident in Eli's abilities to make any of his "next-man-up-receivers" perform at highly competitive levels in any given game--and that's a great feeling to have, for the players, coaches, AND fans-- the fact is that both Nicks and Cruz are extraordinary receivers who can consistently create nightmares for any defense, in every game they are respectively active for.

While the classic WR duos of Dallas' Irvin and Harper of early 90's and of Niners' Rice and Taylor of mid-late 80's were truly impressive and intimidating to all opponents of the time, I see our Nicks-Cruz combo as more akin to the 70's Steelers' Swann and Stalworth.

I'm sure Steelers' fans would have had the same debate and fear of losing one or the other if they had Free Agency and Salary Cap to consider back then.

Having said all that, however, I do recognize the competitive market place known as Free Agency in the NFL. Like all Giants fans, I love watching both Nicks and Cruz play and I experience the irrational vicarious pride--along with the thrill-- associated with the both of them playing for our Giants. If one of them departs to another team for a better contract, I will be greatly disappointed even though I will understand the decisions involved.

The great news, though, is that as long as Eli is the driver behind the wheel of the offensive engine, the Giants will thrive, regardless of what happens regarding these two WRs. (I still hope both are retained, though!!! :D
Remember what happened to Harper's career when he left Dallas for Tampa. I think Cruz is more like Harper in that one respect than Nicks. Nicks has proven he will put up stats regardless of who is on the other side.

drewz
10-27-2012, 07:42 PM
If Nicks wasn't injury prone, this wouldn't be a question

Ruttiger711
10-27-2012, 07:49 PM

He broke his foot - that's not injury prone - then he had his surgically repaired foot stomped on w cleats.

He missed what, 7 games in 4 years leading up to this? To me, that's not injury prone.

**edit - it's 6 games in the 3 years prior

Joe Morrison
10-27-2012, 07:51 PM

That's the issue, has never played 16 games in any season.

giantsfan420
10-27-2012, 07:52 PM
nicks is more physically gifted while cruz is more athletically gifted imho...if that makes any sense

zimonami
10-27-2012, 08:19 PM
nicks is more physically gifted while cruz is more athletically gifted imho...if that makes any sense
absolutely

keyofgmen
10-27-2012, 08:19 PM
Haha...that's a good joke

LOL. I thought so too....But really...if you showed me a picture of the two, I wouldn't recognize them! I'm gettin ole..an old rock and roll and hippie music! Man, my sons say I should get with it...OH well...HAHHA

TextureDj
10-27-2012, 08:24 PM
That's the issue, has never played 16 games in any season.You should compile a list of players in the nfl that have played entire seasons without missing a single game. It will be a very short list, and even shorter would be the list of players that have done it multiple seasons.

Ruttiger711
10-27-2012, 08:32 PM
You should compile a list of players in the nfl that have played entire seasons without missing a single game. It will be a very short list, and even shorter would be the list of players that have done it multiple seasons.

I'd be interested in seeing his as well - forget all players, just WRs for comparison.

NYKiller
10-27-2012, 10:13 PM
Victor Cruz is the Better Wide Receiver. He is faster and can make any catch. He is also dangerous after he catches the ball. However, Hakeem Nicks has bigger and better hands and can also make all catches. This is why he is the second best WR on the team. Rarely does he drop balls and can make one handed catches with that mitten of his lol. Victor Cruz is must more athletic, a gift I believe help him stay injury free while running all over the field. Yes, the giants have to resign him as well as Hakeem.

dave56dj
10-27-2012, 10:22 PM
As previously stated - completely different receivers. And perfect compliments to each other.

Against press on the outside I want Nicks all the way. Monster hands sucks up any ball thrown to him - master of the back shoulder - really amazing hands and physical strength - can box you out and get position on a slat as well.

In the slot Victor is now the best in the league - maybe welker too - but i think he has surpassed him. On a 2 ended option route he is uncoverable. Great quickness - great after the catch. Good on the outside too - but the man makes his money in the slot. Surprisingly strong for his size and can outphysical you for the ball as well.

Both have a great knack for coming back to the ball and competing for every pass.

Eli makes them both even greater - but they are pretty damn great on their own - what a wonderful dilemma - no chance big blue lets either go.

Captain Chaos
10-28-2012, 07:11 AM
Barden is better than both of them combined because he is tall.

Wow, how original...I'd rip a guy who has performed well for us this year when called upon.

Rat_bastich
10-28-2012, 07:38 AM
Who do those guys play for?..never heard of them......

Their 40 times sucked...especially Biggie.

Marvelousmik
10-28-2012, 09:45 AM

This is what annoys me. i understand that you may like nicks a lot which is cool. But how in the world could you even question which guy has more speed? Come on man

Marvelousmik
10-28-2012, 09:48 AM

Hands- cruz
Speed- Cruz
Quickness- Cruz
Route Running- cruz
Body Control- Cruz
Size- Nicks
Catch radius- Nicks
Catch in traffic- Tie
Blocking- Nicks
Durability-Cruz
YAC- Tie

+1 I agree with everything except for the hands part. They both make the tough catches and drop the easier ones. But because cruz has more of a tendency to take his eyes off of the ball, i would trust nicks more in that area. I think you hit everything else on the mark though.

Marvelousmik
10-28-2012, 09:54 AM
This is an old argument. Black Madden will address it. Nicks is the better WR. He is the better route runner, he's the better deep threat, he has better hands, and """"""he is faster when healthy."""""

Nicks>Cruz.

Nicks is faster than victor cruz when healthy? The only receiver nicks is faster than on the current roster is ramses barden. Cruz is one of the fastest players on this team.

Joe Morrison
10-28-2012, 10:39 AM
You should compile a list of players in the nfl that have played entire seasons without missing a single game. It will be a very short list, and even shorter would be the list of players that have done it multiple seasons.
We're talking Nicks vs Cruz, who is going to show up every Game?

Ruttiger711
10-28-2012, 11:20 AM
We're talking Nicks vs Cruz, who is going to show up every Game? If Cruz breaks his foot and has surgery on it - my guess is he wont be showing up. Injuries happen and the odds are it WILL happen to Cruz eventually, to assume it wouldnt just because he hasnt yet doesnt make sense.

Ruttiger711
10-28-2012, 11:22 AM
Nicks is faster than victor cruz when healthy? The only receiver nicks is faster than on the current roster is ramses barden. Cruz is one of the fastest players on this team.

Nicks is a long guy... not as long as Plax was but these are the types of players that when they run fast, it never looks it.

If Nicks didnt have speed, GOOD SPEED, both the ATL and GB catches and runs after contact for tds dont happen.

Marvelousmik
10-28-2012, 11:23 AM
You should compile a list of players in the nfl that have played entire seasons without missing a single game. It will be a very short list

What do you consider to be a short list? I could be wrong but i would be willing to bet most players who have been in the league for a while have at least completed 1 full season without missing a game. If you compare how many guys miss games to those that dont, thats different. but a lot of players have played full 16 game seasons. And when i say a lot, i mean probably about 80% or more

Flip Empty
10-28-2012, 11:32 AM
He broke his foot - that's not injury prone - then he had his surgically repaired foot stomped on w cleats.

He missed what, 7 games in 4 years leading up to this? To me, that's not injury prone.

**edit - it's 6 games in the 3 years prior

Agree with this. Nicks has been unlucky.

Matthew Stafford was lumped with the "injury prone" tag after missing games in his rookie and his sophomore seasons. He played all 17 games last season.

Joe Morrison
10-28-2012, 11:35 AM
If Cruz breaks his foot and has surgery on it - my guess is he wont be showing up. Injuries happen and the odds are it WILL happen to Cruz eventually, to assume it wouldnt just because he hasnt yet doesnt make sense.
Listen, Nicks is a great reciever, he has been in the league for 3 years and has never suited up for 16 games in any season, forget about this years foot, he has always been tweaked, that is why I wanted them to keep Manningham, when Nicks was out Manningham played, then when Nicks came back Manningham would go out, Cruz so far is the only durable guy to show up every Sunday.

Ruttiger711
10-28-2012, 11:40 AM
Listen, Nicks is a great reciever, he has been in the league for 3 years and has never suited up for 16 games in any season, forget about this years foot, he has always been tweaked, that is why I wanted them to keep Manningham, when Nicks was out Manningham played, then when Nicks came back Manningham would go out, Cruz so far is the only durable guy to show up every Sunday.

How worried were you when Cruz grabbed at his knee after that high throw from Eli? I know I was.... that was a close one and it wasnt even a contact injury.

The_ One
10-28-2012, 12:01 PM
My vote goes to Victor Nicks I second that.

The_ One
10-28-2012, 12:08 PM
Both players complement each other well, each one of them has big games when the other is playing on the other side, when one is missing, the other is usually double teamed and taken out of the game, look what happened last week, Nicks is back and Cruz has huge game. Looks like to me there is lots of short memory Giants fans in here "too much sweet leaf I assume" , did everyone forget the SB run we had last year was mostly attributed to Nicks, yes Eli was the MAN, but WR wise, it was Nicks, he had a record post season, killed the Falcons, killed the Pack "loved that Hail Marry TD", like I said, each player needs one another to be successful.

TextureDj
10-28-2012, 07:07 PM
This game is a prime example of why nicks is the better reciever. How often does Hakeem get the drops?

dakotajoe
10-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Hakeem dropped a ball that would have been a third down conversion today.

Rudyy
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
Hakeem Nicks is more reliable..
Sorry.

Ruttiger711
10-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Hakeem dropped a ball that would have been a third down conversion today.

so did Cruz

BMW
10-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Well we know one thing for sure, they both stink when playing the cowboys.

Marvelousmik
10-28-2012, 09:00 PM
nicks got shut down by a rookie today. but cruz played bad too. randel probably played better than both.

Cloud57
10-28-2012, 09:01 PM
jerry drafted players specifically to stop nicks and cruz

Ruttiger711
10-28-2012, 09:01 PM
jerry drafted players specifically to stop nicks and cruz
100%