PDA

View Full Version : Giants To Be Without 2 Key Players

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 02:48 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/8558175/kenny-phillips-rocky-bernard-new-york-giants-sunday

Excerpt: "The New York Giants (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/nyg/new-york-giants) have downgraded safety Kenny Phillips (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/11265/kenny-phillips) and defensive tackle Rocky Bernard (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/3674/rocky-bernard) to out for Sunday's game against the Dallas Cowboys (http://espn.go.com/nfl/team/_/name/dal/dallas-cowboys).

Phillips (knee), Bernard (quadriceps) and linebacker Jacquian Williams (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14199/jacquian-williams) (knee) were the only Giants to not make the trip to Dallas. Williams was already ruled out by the team on Friday." Read more...

giantsfan420
10-27-2012, 03:18 PM
bummer i was hoping theyd make the trip

BParcells777
10-27-2012, 03:23 PM
I dont get why players cannot come along and sit in street clothes.....its crazy

giantsfan420
10-27-2012, 03:27 PM
i think its an insurance thing i remember shockey had that issue where he wasnt allowed on the sidelines. i wonder it too myself. for home games u almost always see the injured guys but its away games

penguinfarmer
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
Get em healthy. We'll take out Dallas with the gatorade dispenser.

keyofgmen
10-27-2012, 03:30 PM
I don't know.... "key" players? Good solid.. yes, but "key"??

Rudyy
10-27-2012, 03:35 PM
I don't know.... "key" players? Good solid.. yes, but "key"??That's what I was thinking

jomo
10-27-2012, 03:37 PM
We are in the best shape we've been, injury wise, all year. How could an article fail to point that out?
How can a reporter report factlets without the necessary context?
Let's tee it up!

TextureDj
10-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't know.... "key" players? Good solid.. yes, but "key"??
Slow news day. Too bad they pump up nonsense on all news days. Even if they were the epitome of "key" players did the author notice that they have been out for some time. Like almost all of this little winning streak were on?

On another note, I love how there really are few "key" players on this team. Lots of important pieces and guysyou dont want to hit hte field without. but there is only one monkey that can stop this show.

A true team has been built here, few parts are any more important than the rest, and none more than the whole. Thank you for the great team Reese, we are certainly enjoying it.

DemandedAce
10-27-2012, 03:58 PM
Anyone who says Phillips isn't a key player is ridiculous

primetime
10-27-2012, 04:02 PM
I agree, Phillips is an important player to our defense. Stats don't tell the whole story with the kind of player he is. He gives the opposition a hard time to throw deep over the middle.
Saying all that I do like what Stevie Brown has given us since K.P got injured.

TextureDj
10-27-2012, 04:04 PM
Anyone who says Phillips isn't a key player is ridiculous No one is saying Phillips isnt important.

A key player is one who you cant play effectively without, or at least causes your whole game to change because everything revolves around them.

Clearly that is not the case. We are winning, and without changing our defense drastically. Plug and play baby, next man up.

Again, nothing away from KP, cant wait for him to be back.

Toadofsteel
10-27-2012, 04:17 PM
I agree, Phillips is an important player to our defense. Stats don't tell the whole story with the kind of player he is. He gives the opposition a hard time to throw deep over the middle.
Saying all that I do like what Stevie Brown has given us since K.P got injured.

Stevie Brown has been filling in nicely. He's not KP by any stretch, but he's still at least starter material on some teams. Honestly all these reps in games are good for him. If he can work through some of the coverage issues, we might actually let KP walk away next season to save money on cap space...

Fharcyde
10-27-2012, 04:20 PM
As long as there's no major injuries in the next couple of weeks the injury list should shorten up by the time the BYE week rolls around.

FrankAE
10-27-2012, 04:31 PM
The secondary other than Prince has been terrible, with or without KP. KP is not a key player. Rolle is, Prince is and everyone else in secondary is replaceable. KP had major potential but never shows that same play since his injury. I like him,he is good in most areas of his position but Giants don't need him, and he better realize that and try to earn his job. He one of the many players who seem to think once named starter they dont need to play with that motivation and energy to play your best.

giantsfan420
10-27-2012, 04:33 PM
The secondary other than Prince has been terrible, with or without KP. KP is not a key player. Rolle is, Prince is and everyone else in secondary is replaceable. KP had major potential but never shows that same play since his injury. I like him,he is good in most areas of his position but Giants don't need him, and he better realize that and try to earn his job. He one of the many players who seem to think once named starter they dont need to play with that motivation and energy to play your best.
id rather KP than Rolle. its not even close

EnragedYouth85
10-27-2012, 04:38 PM

Not the way Stevie Brown is playing, we can deal with KP taking the time to heal.

nhpgiantsfan
10-27-2012, 04:47 PM
No one is saying Phillips isnt important.

A key player is one who you cant play effectively without, or at least causes your whole game to change because everything revolves around them.

Clearly that is not the case. We are winning, and without changing our defense drastically. Plug and play baby, next man up.

Again, nothing away from KP, cant wait for him to be back.

Then by your own definition Eli is the only key player on the team... KP'S is def a key player on this defense. Doesn't mean we have to change our defense, but he is one of the best players on our defense.

EnragedYouth85
10-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Then by your own definition Eli is the only key player on the team... KP'S is def a key player on this defense. Doesn't mean we have to change our defense, but he is one of the best players on our defense.

The difference between KP and Eli manning? KP can be replaced..

The definition of a "key" player..

penguinfarmer
10-27-2012, 05:07 PM
Another difference of opinion regarding semantics.

Are the Giants better with Bernard and Phillips? yes
Can the Giants win without Bernard and Phillips? yes

*cough* ahem ELITE *cough*

JayMas9
10-27-2012, 05:10 PM
Anyone who says Phillips isn't a key player is ridiculousThis.

JayMas9
10-27-2012, 05:13 PM
The difference between KP and Eli manning? KP can be replaced..

The definition of a "key" player..Then Eli and JPP are the only key players on our team...

EnragedYouth85
10-27-2012, 05:18 PM
Then Eli and JPP are the only key players on our team...

If there were a lot of key players on each team, then "key" would be a moot point. Do we have a lot of important players, yes.

JesseJames
10-27-2012, 05:39 PM
anybody know specifically what is the problem with Phillips knee and Bernards quadriceps, this has been going on for weeks now...I really wish we had Bernard back in there to take away the pocket that Romo always seems to step up into to avoid the rush from the outside....

EnragedYouth85
10-27-2012, 05:45 PM
anybody know specifically what is the problem with Phillips knee and Bernards quadriceps, this has been going on for weeks now...I really wish we had Bernard back in there to take away the pocket that Romo always seems to step up into to avoid the rush from the outside....

They hurt them? :P lol

jakegibbs
10-27-2012, 05:46 PM
His backup is #27 right? He's a solid player so it's not like we're dooommmed without Phillips does it?

BlueReign
10-27-2012, 06:41 PM
Save KP for the stretch.Make sure he's good to go then.

sc_markt
10-27-2012, 06:41 PM
I dont get why players cannot come along and sit in street clothes.....its crazy

Probably because of global warming... if those players stay home, that means less fuel used in the transportation process and hence, less greenhouse gases are emitted into the atmosphere. We don't want to tip over into the precipice...

DemandedAce
10-27-2012, 07:14 PM
His backup is #27 right? He's a solid player so it's not like we're dooommmed without Phillips does it?

Good call, I forgot I said we were doomed without him.

Captain Chaos
10-27-2012, 07:23 PM
We've had some solid back up play, looking forward to getting those guys back!

TextureDj
10-27-2012, 07:54 PM

Now your getting it.

Right now the only key player is Eli. Cant think of another player on the team that our fortunes change the minute they go down.

Edit:
JPP also fits as Enraged points out since with the loss of such a keystone the whole D has to change to get pressure. There would be no one to plug in and mitigate the loss of production at that position.

Medisleman
10-27-2012, 09:42 PM
Eli is key. Cruz really is also key these days. I would say JPP is the most KEY on the defense. I think o-lines really worry about him and it helps our defense quite a bit.

moosedrool
10-28-2012, 12:05 AM
Dallas is without the key players, Lee and Murray.

Cool Papa B.
10-28-2012, 12:41 AM
Is it really a surprise to anyone that Bernard and Phillips won't be playing tomorrow?

Personally I went into this week not expecting either of them to play.

GiantRoc
10-28-2012, 01:45 AM
Eli is key. Cruz really is also key these days. I would say JPP is the most KEY on the defense. I think o-lines really worry about him and it helps our defense quite a bit.

I agree here. Eli, Cruz and JPP are key players. We don't have players to plug in, that don't show a marked drop off in performence.

giantsfan420
10-28-2012, 01:52 AM
kp sprained his knee. it actually looked way worse than it was. 4 weeks or however long kp ends up missing is a lot shorter than the IR many thought he was destined for when his knee/shin bent the way it did. i was hoping he'd come back for dallas bc he's been practicing more but he's been ruled out. i'd say next week he'll be questionable and if he doesnt go next week i'd have to assume he'd be definite the week after (barring any setbacks of course)

nhpgiantsfan
10-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Now your getting it.

Right now the only key player is Eli. Cant think of another player on the team that our fortunes change the minute they go down.

Edit:
JPP also fits as Enraged points out since with the loss of such a keystone the whole D has to change to get pressure. There would be no one to plug in and mitigate the loss of production at that position.

This is a stupid definition. So I guess Nicks, Bradshaw, Beatty, Phillips, Prince, Canty, are not key players because we won games without them.

The packers won a game last year without Aaron Rodgers, his back up through 5 TD's. does that mean he is not a key player.

The schemes don't change much because a player goes down. They all practice the same thing. Your definition is stupid..

GMan-67
10-28-2012, 09:21 AM

flights can be rough on a stiff knee and a sore muscle ... let them get some treatment at home and im sure they have a big ole TV to watch the game ... it's hard for injured players to be vocal leaders on the sidelines anyway

Diamondring
10-28-2012, 11:07 AM
Key don't have to be known.

Joe Morrison
10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
We have had more important players out every week, we should be happy with this weeks Roster.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2012, 11:36 AM
I don't know.... "key" players? Good solid.. yes, but "key"?? It's media hype. No one reads about Tryon and Petrus

JesseJames
10-28-2012, 11:43 AM
did you think that answer up all by yourself or did you have help..

keyofgmen
10-28-2012, 11:50 AM
It's media hype. No one reads about Tryon and Petrus

Yup..Was a little tongue in cheek there! Didn't know it would cause such a stir LOL!

EnragedYouth85
10-28-2012, 12:29 PM
did you think that answer up all by yourself or did you have help..

All by myself, do I get a cookie?