PDA

View Full Version : Sunday Morning Quarterback: Eight years later, NY Giants' Eli Manning is still No. 1

bigjeep
10-27-2012, 07:48 PM
Ernie Accorsi was prepared to take Ben Roethlisberger with the fourth pick in the 2004 draft until Chargers general manager A.J. Smith finally called one hour after San Diego had selected Eli Manning first overall, and then, after weeks of speculation, traded him to the Giants.
So, 8 1/2 years into their careers, who would you rather have: Eli or Big Ben?
This becomes relevant again because the Steelers play at MetLife Stadium next Sunday against the Giants, the third time Manning and Roethlisberger will face each other. Big Ben won in 2004 at Giants Stadium; Manning won in 2008 in Pittsburgh.
My answer: Clearly Manning.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/sunday-morning-qb-8-years-eli-1-article-1.1193704#ixzz2AXh4Q52Y

510GiantsFan
10-27-2012, 08:24 PM
How many times has Big Ben been injured?

FBomb
10-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Having a chili cookoff at my house with my Steeler fan friends.....last time we did this was when the Giants beat the Steelers in Pitt. My chili won then too!!

EnragedYouth85
10-27-2012, 08:29 PM
I want some chili!

GMENAGAIN
10-27-2012, 08:40 PM
Having a chili cookoff at my house with my Steeler fan friends.....last time we did this was when the Giants beat the Steelers in Pitt. My chili won then too!!

That was one of the best regular season Giant games in recent history . . . . 2 excellent teams going toe-to-toe

FBomb
10-27-2012, 08:42 PM
That was one of the best regular season Giant games in recent history . . . . 2 excellent teams going toe-to-toe

Yeah.....we learned our lesson with that one......there will be no kids at this party!!!

RoanokeFan
10-27-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah.....we learned our lesson with that one......there will be no kids at this party!!!

LOL

FBomb
10-27-2012, 09:21 PM
LOL

Yeah....I don't get invited to Giants game parties much anymore. Not a good house guest if the game is close.

blueNorange
10-27-2012, 09:22 PM
i think the giants are in the same spot they're in with big ben, they're both very clutch football players

rainierjef
10-28-2012, 01:46 AM
i think the giants are in the same spot they're in with big ben, they're both very clutch football players

I can see why you would say this. And not that it is a wrong opinion, I think big ben would not have thrived in the giants or rather gildbride offense.
Eli is just more of the prototypical old school pocket passer, not taking away from what big ben does, i just feel from what limited i have saw of him; he can be a tad bit reckless with his decision making.

RagTime Blue
10-28-2012, 02:31 AM
I wonder what Steelers' fans would have to say about this. Without a consensus, it's not the slam-dunk many on here feel it is.

Rat_bastich
10-28-2012, 02:53 AM
They would argue I'm sure, but Eli has become better along the way and more recent. Ben Roethlisberger stepped into a better situation and won earlier because of it. His stats were not all that great and was carried by a good running game and stifling defenses. Last year our offense carried the team late in the season and then the defense showed up.

Ben is tough and a good quarterback, there is no doubt, but I think we got the better deal and I wouldn't disagree with that rating.

Flip Empty
10-28-2012, 05:30 AM
I wonder what Steelers' fans would have to say about this. Without a consensus, it's not the slam-dunk many on here feel it is.

I think it worked out the best for both teams.

Captain Chaos
10-28-2012, 06:35 AM
How many times has Big Ben been injured?

football related or non-football related?

TextureDj
10-28-2012, 07:50 AM
It would have been deeply damaging to this organization if we had ended up with Rapelisberger in blue. I dont think that whole thing goes away in NY the way it seems to have almost never happened him in Pitt.

bigjeep
10-28-2012, 09:11 AM
I think it worked out the best for both teams.

I don't think there is even a comparison. When all is said and done, Eli is going to the hall of fame, no one will remember the name of the other guy?

SweetZombieJesus
10-28-2012, 09:46 AM
Ben had a better career out of the gate and has been to 3 SBs. However, my complaint with him has always been that he holds on to the ball too long and takes some major hits, I'm convinced his career is on borrowed time. Remember when he got carted off the field at the end of the regular season a few years ago? Vs. Eli who has never missed a career start. Eli will have career longevity that Ben will not.

RoanokeFan
10-28-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah....I don't get invited to Giants game parties much anymore. Not a good house guest if the game is close. As it should be :)

Flip Empty
10-28-2012, 10:02 AM
I don't think there is even a comparison. When all is said and done, Eli is going to the hall of fame, no one will remember the name of the other guy?
They both have two rings. Philip Rivers is the one who may fade into obscurity.

Relevant:
http://www.thedrawplay.com/comics/2012-06-09-CryMeARivers2.png

GMENAGAIN
10-28-2012, 10:12 AM

What are you saying? That no one will remember Big Ben or no one will remember Rivers?

miked1958
10-28-2012, 10:32 AM
Ernie Accorsi was prepared to take Ben Roethlisberger with the fourth pick in the 2004 draft until Chargers general manager A.J. Smith finally called one hour after San Diego had selected Eli Manning first overall, and then, after weeks of speculation, traded him to the Giants.So, 8 1/2 years into their careers, who would you rather have: Eli or Big Ben?This becomes relevant again because the Steelers play at MetLife Stadium next Sunday against the Giants, the third time Manning and Roethlisberger will face each other. Big Ben won in 2004 at Giants Stadium; Manning won in 2008 in Pittsburgh.My answer: Clearly Manning.Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/sunday-morning-qb-8-years-eli-1-article-1.1193704#ixzz2AXh4Q52Yyep we drafted rivers cause SD wanted him for the trade. They may have been better off with Big Ben in SD.

miked1958
10-28-2012, 10:35 AM
As far as crossing between the two it's not even a question. It's a no brainer. Eli is hands down the better overall player and Man. Just imagine how much trouble Benn would have gotten himself into if he had NY as his playground instead of Pittsburgh? Lol.. He would of wound up in prison for sure

miked1958
10-28-2012, 10:37 AM
We not only got the better QB who is not out all the time with injury like Benn is. But we have a guy who giants fans can be proud of as the face of the franchise and not embarrassed. He is also someone our kids and grand kids can look up to!

He is a Man of Integrity for sure

Can't really say the same for the other two drafted at same time as Eli

Flip Empty
10-28-2012, 10:41 AM
yep we drafted rivers cause SD wanted him for the trade. They may have been better off with Big Ben in SD.
Dunno. Rivers was terrific just a few years ago; they really should have won a Super Bowl with him, Gates, Jackson, Tomlinson, Merriman, Cromartie etc. I'm not sure what happened but it probably begins with a "Norv" and ends in a "Turner".

miked1958
10-28-2012, 10:43 AM
Dunno. Rivers was terrific just a few years ago, they really should have won a super bowl with him, Gates, Jackson, Tomlinson, Merriman, Cromartie etc. I'm not sure what happened but it probably begins with a "Norv" and ends in a "Turner".agreed. But don't you feel that if Big Benn was there with that same cast of players a few years ago that he would of won a SB or two with them?

Flip Empty
10-28-2012, 10:49 AM
agreed. But don't you feel that if Big Benn was there with that same cast of players a few years ago that he would of won a SB or two with them?
Probably, yeah.

It's amazing how different each QB is perceived now. Go back five years and the general consensus was 1. Rivers, 2. Ben, 3. Eli.
How times change...

The drop-off in Rivers' play has been immense. His problems aren't just physical, they're mental. It's quite shocking.

Pksoze
10-28-2012, 11:48 AM
I still remember Don Banks commenting that Chargers ate Ernie's lunch on the Eli Manning trade. It's funny how things change. As for Ben...I think he would have won in NY. But I don't know how well he would have lasted with his stupid behavior in this media market and his style will eventually get him badly hurt. I think that the Giants got this trade right and I have no regrets.

miked1958
10-28-2012, 12:38 PM
I still remember Don Banks commenting that Chargers ate Ernie's lunch on the Eli Manning trade. It's funny how things change. As for Ben...I think he would have won in NY. But I don't know how well he would have lasted with his stupid behavior in this media market and his style will eventually get him badly hurt. I think that the Giants got this trade right and I have no regrets.i wonder who all the players are that we're sent to SD in the Trade for Eli and where they are today and how they careers are going. Al the extra Draft Picks they got I mean.

jimsgints
10-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I can see why this topic comes up now and then, It's a good question. I think Ben would have been removed form the game by now due to injuries due to playing in the NFC East. I can see why the decision was made to take Eli, he's a better fit for this team and division. Besides Ben and Shockey would have killed each other.

Flip Empty
10-28-2012, 01:29 PM
i wonder who all the players are that we're sent to SD in the Trade for Eli and where they are today and how they careers are going. Al the extra Draft Picks they got I mean.
The picks became Shawne Merriman (1st rounder), Nate Kaeding (3rd) and Roman Oben (5th).

Shawne Merriman was a force up until he received a suspension for a positive drugs test. His play tailed off dramatically and he was eventually released. He was claimed by the Bills but has ended the past two seasons for them on IR. After being released earlier this year, the Bills have since re-signed him.

Nate Kaeding has been great for the Chargers (he's the most accurate kicker of all time), but, like Merriman, has suffered his share of injuries of late. He tore his ACL last season and injured his groin this season. He's to be released.

The Chargers dealt the 5th round pick to the Bucs for ex-Giant, Roman Oben. He retired in 2008 and is currently a Giants analyst.

eLi MusT gO dEEp
10-28-2012, 01:32 PM
Both Eli vs Ben games were AMAZING. I expect nothing less this year even though everyone is downing the Steelers.

That said, ELI all the way!! Big Ben has had some serious issues off field, when he wrecked his bike I remember that day perfectly I was legit scared for the guy, and all of his other problems... but on field?? Big Ben is up there on my list of QBs I would want if I was forced to choose one other than El. His size and ability to extend plays is the reason why the guy is a 2 time champion. However I like Eli better when under pressure, I like Eli as a POCKET PASSER much better as well too. And at the end of the day I want a pocket passer not a guy who has to make plays on his own.

Harooni
10-28-2012, 03:27 PM
Both Eli vs Ben games were AMAZING. I expect nothing less this year even though everyone is downing the Steelers.

That said, ELI all the way!! Big Ben has had some serious issues off field, when he wrecked his bike I remember that day perfectly I was legit scared for the guy, and all of his other problems... but on field?? Big Ben is up there on my list of QBs I would want if I was forced to choose one other than El. His size and ability to extend plays is the reason why the guy is a 2 time champion. However I like Eli better when under pressure, I like Eli as a POCKET PASSER much better as well too. And at the end of the day I want a pocket passer not a guy who has to make plays on his own.

pretty funny how ben handles the redskins and eli sruggles vs them. kind of ironic

BeatYale
10-28-2012, 04:08 PM
Obviously both of these guys were great acquisitions for their team. Two different styles. One is a pure pocket passer, the other can extend plays with his feet. Both are tough, Eli hasn't missed a game and Ben has been courageous in taking some big shots when he scrambles and has played with significant injuries. Both have two Super Bowls. Eli has the Super Bowl MVP accolades and the best clutch play, Big Ben has the awesome win-loss record and regular season efficiency stats. I think both organizations are happy.