PDA

View Full Version : Let Kenny Phillips Walk?

Overdrive92
10-29-2012, 01:27 AM
Kenny Phillips will be an unrestricted free agent after this season, and the question is, do we let him walk? Stevie Brown has played admirably in his place, and lots of people like Sash as a future player.

We also have other guys becoming free agents who must be re-signed before KP: Cruz, Bennett, DeOssie, and hell, even Tynes. Guys like Boothe, Beatty, Osi, and Blackburn are free agents too.

Toadofsteel
10-29-2012, 01:31 AM
I have a feeling he may be a cap casualty just due to our depth at safety. If he's not with us next year, he will DEFINITELY find a home real fast though...

TheAussieGiant
10-29-2012, 01:33 AM
I'm really really glad that Stevie Brown has been playing great, but Kenny has to stay. He is a really good deep safety and can come down and play in the box as good as anyone. Best thing about KP is you never hear is name getting called out on the field because he is usually in great coverage and the ball doesn't get thrown near him.

KP saves so many TDs out there he has no right to because of his speed and anticipation, the amount of times he has saved Rolle's *** by making tackles on players that rolle has missed is astounding.

Again love that Stevie has been playing well, but you can't get rid of KP, guy is a beast.

moosedrool
10-29-2012, 01:44 AM
He's only 26 years old, so I think they resign him. Plenty of tread left on KP's tires.

GiantFanatic55
10-29-2012, 01:48 AM
Cut Rolle and use that money to sign KP

gmenfan0488
10-29-2012, 01:49 AM
Cruz is priority, I'd let Rolle go if his contract's coming up

Overdrive92
10-29-2012, 01:50 AM

Cruz is priority, I'd let Rolle go if his contract's coming up

Rolle won't be a free agent until 2015, but I'd rather keep him than KP if forced to choose. Rolle is an outstanding player for us.

flimflam
10-29-2012, 01:55 AM
Well, even if we resign KP, I am thinking they will cut Rolle, and maybe draft TJ MacDonald in the first round - that would be mighty nice.

gmenfan0488
10-29-2012, 01:56 AM

+1

gmenfan0488
10-29-2012, 01:57 AM
cut rolle, draft a safety in an early round, and resign KP, KP, Brown, and the rookie can rotate

GiantFanatic55
10-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Rolle won't be a free agent until 2015, but I'd rather keep him than KP if forced to choose. Rolle is an outstanding player for us.

Rolle is good at times, but he is a liability in coverage

This is what Rolle is due the next two seasons

--------Base Salary Cap Hit
2013- 7,000,000 9,250,000
2014- 7,000,000 9,250,000

He is not worth 7mill a year with a 9mill cap hit

KP is making 2mill this year and is a much more valuable player than Rolle

G4L
10-29-2012, 02:23 AM
I would hate to see KP go, but you can't resign everyone. If he does leave I ask mercy of the football gods and send him out of the division.

PRGiant
10-29-2012, 02:57 AM
I prefer Kenny to Rolle too. Also, let's see what we do when Will Hill is able to come back

Captain Chaos
10-29-2012, 04:54 AM
You're kidding right....

titwio
10-29-2012, 05:34 AM
Phillips, Brown and Hill are the future at safety.

dave56dj
10-29-2012, 05:46 AM
The classic right now thread- browns emergence has overshadowed will hill - who has shown great versatility as the nickel and I think he will one day replace either kp or rolle. For now its a nice log jam to have - lets see how the year pans out.

B-Red22
10-29-2012, 05:50 AM
cut rolle, draft a safety in an early round, and resign KP, KP, Brown, and the rookie can rotate Don't forget about Hill

Buddy333
10-29-2012, 06:14 AM
Phillips, Brown and Hill are the future at safety.I like this better.

Redeyejedi
10-29-2012, 07:08 AM
Rolle won't be a free agent until 2015, but I'd rather keep him than KP if forced to choose. Rolle is an outstanding player for us. Rolle is out of position constantly, Phillips is a better player

Redeyejedi
10-29-2012, 07:10 AM
Well, even if we resign KP, I am thinking they will cut Rolle, and maybe draft TJ MacDonald in the first round - that would be mighty nice. I think the Giants would be foolish not to draft a Defensive End in the 1st round

rainierjef
10-29-2012, 07:49 AM
I think the Giants would be foolish not to draft a Defensive End in the 1st round
Or DT depending on where we are drafting.

I would like it in this order DE/DT/CB/MLB. not 1st to 4th round but priority of the first round choice.

dezzzR
10-29-2012, 08:44 AM
Id really like to keep KP over Rolle.....A lot.

DaFrenchy
10-29-2012, 08:46 AM
We need to let Rolle go. Maybe via a trade ?
And keep Brown, Hill and Phillips.

TroyArcher
10-29-2012, 08:48 AM
I believe Phillips is only 25. Lets not carried away with Brown, he has a nose for the ball but the secondary has been lit up in Phillips absence. Not saying he would be the complete fix but I don't think it is just a coincidence.

rainierjef
10-29-2012, 08:53 AM
With the way the league is going, having 3 good Safeties is a blessing. Let's not get so quick to get rid of people and enjoy what we have, while we have it. sheesh!

RagTime Blue
10-29-2012, 09:48 AM
He's only 26 years old. . .Plenty of tread left on KP's tires.

I agree with half of this statement.

I think Reese lets KP test the market, and unless the rest of the NFL is as weary of his knees as I am, he may get more money than the Giants offer.

NASCARBLITZ
10-29-2012, 09:55 AM
rolle is outstanding..yeah ok if you say so...guy makes like 2 plays a year that are good since coming here and all that money we paid him he should be like ed reed..cut him sign kp and keep stevie brown its a no brainer and would free up some cap

Kruunch
10-29-2012, 09:56 AM
I'd cut Rolle in a heartbeat before letting KP walk.

rainierjef
10-29-2012, 10:06 AM
In Rolle's defense. PF has asked him to do a lot of stuff outside his scope of play. He comes down and makes tackles and plays corner if need be. Here's a thought when KP returns, give rolle some playing time at Corner. Brown stays at safety.

Kruunch
10-29-2012, 10:08 AM
In Rolle's defense. PF has asked him to do a lot of stuff outside his scope of play. He comes down and makes tackles and plays corner if need be. Here's a thought when KP returns, give rolle some playing time at Corner. Brown stays at safety.

There's a reason Rolle was switched from CB to S after his rookie season ... he sucks at CB.

He also happens to suck at Safety. He plays a competent LB though.

TheAnalyst
10-29-2012, 10:11 AM
I cant believe all the Rolle hate still. He is a great player. Is he worth his contract, probably not. But he is a leader on our D. A restructure should help out. Stevie Brown is playing out of his mind right now and much better then KP ever did IMO.

slipknottin
10-29-2012, 10:15 AM
cut rolle, draft a safety in an early round, and resign KP, KP, Brown, and the rookie can rotate

I cant believe all the Rolle hate still. He is a great player. Is he worth his contract, probably not. But he is a leader on our D. A restructure should help out. Stevie Brown is playing out of his mind right now and much better then KP ever did IMO.

Who gives a crap about a "leader". The giants defense is awful.

Rolle can't restructure. If he backloads his contract again that will mean he's due 10+ million the final year of his contract. He needs to either take a massive pay cut or get released

G-MANning4Life
10-29-2012, 10:17 AM
I would keep Rolle as well. I wouldn't let KP go on his own merits though. Yes, I understand that Stevie Brown is playing well, but there is always a need for a back up. We let KP go in favor of S. Brown and he (God forbid) gets hurt...who do we put in his position that we can truly count on and not hold our breath every time the opposing team throws to the receiver that the Safety in question is covering?

Giantterp
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
I believe Phillips is only 25. Lets not carried away with Brown, he has a nose for the ball but the secondary has been lit up in Phillips absence. Not saying he would be the complete fix but I don't think it is just a coincidence.

Agreed, not to mention, Brown would have been the goat if Bryants fingers were a quarter of an inch shorter. Let's not get carried away...its only been 4 games or so.

bella102
10-29-2012, 10:21 AM
Please let Osi go!! Did she play yesterday?

G-MANning4Life
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Please let Osi go!! Did she play yesterday?
She? I'm pretty sure she was on the field. Honestly, I know Osi hasn't done anything outstanding this season or to talk about, but he has been a pivotal player on our team for the longest. Who would you want to put in his place?

slipknottin
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Agreed, not to mention, Brown would have been the goat if Bryants fingers were a quarter of an inch shorter. Let's not get carried away...its only been 4 games or so.

How would Brown have been the goat? Coe and Webster were the ones next to Bryant

Buddy333
10-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Who gives a crap about a "leader". The giants defense is awful. Rolle can't restructure. If he backloads his contract again that will mean he's due 10+ million the final year of his contract. He needs to either take a massive pay cut or get releasedCan they release him without it going against the cap?

Overdrive92
10-29-2012, 03:59 PM
She? I'm pretty sure she was on the field. Honestly, I know Osi hasn't done anything outstanding this season or to talk about, but he has been a pivotal player on our team for the longest. Who would you want to put in his place?

Osi has to go after this year. The amount of money he's going to want, we are not going to offer even a fraction of that.

oldgiantfan
10-29-2012, 04:00 PM
If we can afford him then keep him.

blueNorange
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
no

cut rolle and re-sign phillips

Out of Exile
10-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Problem is, will KP want tons of cash?

I think he may walk.

Rolle, Brown, and Hill?

blueNorange
10-29-2012, 04:51 PM
hill is here regardless, he's too talented to just ignore.

if phillips walks then it makes it much easier to focus on re-signing linval joseph

ShakeandBake
10-29-2012, 05:52 PM
What if KP is done? We could have a similar situation in regards to his health that we had with TT this year, the guy just can not stay healthy. People are always quick to get down on Rolle, if he is willing to take a pay cut resign him, he is not garbage like some people on this board are led to believe. Osi needs to go first and foremost, and we should pickup a DE in the draft (unless Kiwi is moved back there) pickup a DT, and a LB.

RagTime Blue
10-29-2012, 06:41 PM
I think we squeeze as much out of KP (and his knees) as possible this year (under FA motivation), and then lowball him in FA. Reese may get flamed on here if he goes to the Cowboys or something, but it's for the long-term best.

In all likelihood, there will be "Thank you Kenny Phillips" threads out this April.

moosedrool
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Rolle's contract is a cap killer and a bad investment. Much rather have KP, Hill, and Brown.

Out of Exile
10-29-2012, 07:15 PM
Rolle's contract is a cap killer and a bad investment. Much rather have KP, Hill, and Brown.

We can't cut him or we get crushed on the cap, from what I read.

I think we're stuck with Rolle, to be honest.

slipknottin
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
Can they release him without it going against the cap?

I dont know the details of his restructure. Thats key to the salary cap issue. But there will be dead money if he is cut, how significant the difference is with his $7 mil salary cap hits in 13 and 14 is key.

jaxnygmen
10-29-2012, 08:56 PM
I would not get rid of him. He can replace rolle, who in my opinion is over rated. Blackburn can be let go to. Yesterday showed that we need an upgrade at the LB position because they are mostly poor in coverage.

myles2424
10-29-2012, 09:39 PM
Problem is, will KP want tons of cash?

I think he may walk.

Rolle, Brown, and Hill?

KP want tons of cash? What do you call Rolles contract???
KP is younger, arguably better & even with a big contract he'll make less $$ the first few years than rolle will be due