PDA

View Full Version : Clockgate

GMan-67
10-29-2012, 07:22 AM
with the clock at 10 seconds, the Boys ran 2 plays that per my stopwatch took 11 seconds, yet their own employee running the clock both started it late and stopped it early saving them 2 seconds and leaving them with one final play that should have never happened

this same type of thing happened to the Jets vs. NE

it's time for the NFL to have an employee starting and stopping the clock, not a team employee

GCGiant
10-29-2012, 07:37 AM
They did stop that clock pretty quick.

Diamondring
10-29-2012, 07:39 AM
with the clock at 10 seconds, the Boys ran 2 plays that per my stopwatch took 11 seconds, yet their own employee running the clock both started it late and stopped it early saving them 2 seconds and leaving them with one final play that should have never happened

it's time for the NFL to have an employee starting and stopping the clock, not a team employeeAnd that comeback from the Cows shouldn't have happened either.

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 07:39 AM
The ball hadnt even landed yet on Austin's incomplete and the clock was stopped.

GMan-67
10-29-2012, 07:42 AM
And that comeback from the Cows shouldn't have happened either.

in the NFL teams comeback ... games are decided by only a few points on average ... nobody should be shocked that a talented NFL team did not simply roll up in the fetal position and cry and quit ... welcome to the NFL ... you'll catch on

and we were only favored by 1.5, so we exceeded outsiders expectations ... i think we have some spoiled fans b/c of how great we are

SweetZombieJesus
10-29-2012, 07:49 AM
Yeah that needs to be in control of the NFL. The refs do constantly have to ask to have the game clock reset so obviously they are doing their own timekeeping... No need in 2012 for there to be two systems.

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 07:52 AM

it's time for the NFL to have an employee starting and stopping the clock, not a team employee

You watch games with a stop watch? Damn

Even with that, the "official time" is kept on the field by an official. I think that's the Line Judge

Buddy333
10-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Why did they put time back on the clock after they they took the TD off he score board?

GMan-67
10-29-2012, 07:54 AM
You watch games with a stop watch? Damn

Even with that, the "official time" is kept on the field by an official

haha, no TIVO ! ... i was in no condition mentally or physically to do it at the time it was happening

Diamondring
10-29-2012, 07:56 AM
in the NFL teams comeback ... games are decided by only a few points on average ... nobody should be shocked that a talented NFL team did not simply roll up in the fetal position and cry and quit ... welcome to the NFL ... you'll catch on

and we were only favored by 1.5, so we exceeded outsiders expectations ... i think we have some spoiled fans b/c of how great we areHey Buddy, I was the one who said our O-line was underrated and our defense. I was one of the posters who said the Giants were going to beat the 49ers. My track record is way better than yours. You'll catch on soon I hope.

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 07:56 AM
haha, no TIVO ! ... i was in no condition mentally or physically to do it at the time it was happening

I was just thinking I'd probably break it as it passed through the TV Screen..

Atomic1
10-29-2012, 08:36 AM
I also thought the official time was suspect in those last few seconds and what about the spot on Bradshaws 3rd down run where they marked him just short which forced us to punt. I thought he was marked short of where he actually landed.

Captain Chaos
10-29-2012, 08:42 AM
I love it Clock gate, Did seem like they were able to run a ton of plays. The pass to whitten along the side line only took 4 secs, which shocked me at the time. Something else to have the NFL spend tons of time on ...

TroyArcher
10-29-2012, 08:42 AM

The last time the Giants had the ball they ran a running play that took two seconds. No way possible. Definitely some home cooking. Cowboys used to get the calls big time when they were a good team (a long time ago). Looks like there is still some manipulation going on.

miked1958
10-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Why did they put time back on the clock after they they took the TD off he score board?That actually was correct. when Dez landed and the play was over the clock was at 10seconds. Then it kept running and an additional 4 seconds ticked off. so they were right on that one

bigjeep
10-29-2012, 08:47 AM

and we were only favored by 1.5, so we exceeded outsiders expectations ... i think we have some spoiled fans b/c of how great we are

Yup, we can win and not even show up some times!

BTW -- We can lose a game and still win!

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:04 AM

it's time for the NFL to have an employee starting and stopping the clock, not a team employee Maybe I am wrong but i thought they ran 3 plays. The first one was the quick out to the sideline that got them the first down that took 4 seconds. then the play to the goal line to Austin and there was still 1 second left. and the third play within those ten seconds was the overthrow out of bounds that ended the game

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:07 AM
I also thought the official time was suspect in those last few seconds and what about the spot on Bradshaws 3rd down run where they marked him just short which forced us to punt. I thought he was marked short of where he actually landed.That was for sure a bad spot. It reminded me of the GB game where i think it was Ware (not sure) had got a first down at the 50 and it was marked back and bec it was under two min we couldnt challenge. there was no Replay and nothing was said by the announcers. it was like it didnt happen. just ignored and not reviewed. just horrible

moosedrool
10-29-2012, 09:12 AM
The bad spot on Bradshaw's 3rd down run (he was on top of defender), the awful call on Hosley, and clockgate. And we still won. I'm glad Dez has big hands.

GameTime
10-29-2012, 09:15 AM

you actually have a stop watch going to check stuff like that....wow Bro....get a life....lol

just busting you,,,,

SweetZombieJesus
10-29-2012, 09:19 AM
I love it Clock gate, Did seem like they were able to run a ton of plays. The pass to whitten along the side line only took 4 secs, which shocked me at the time. Something else to have the NFL spend tons of time on ...

It felt like watching the final minute of a close basketball game... foul; free throws; foul; free throws; foul

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:25 AM
maybe im a homer but it seemed there were A LOT of plays or calls that either gave the cowboys more time or gave them more chances to win.

other examples. On the Hosley Hold Tuck had a sack that would have made it 4th and forever for Romo. Even a dallas homer Deon Sanders said it was textbook coverage by Hosley. That gave them a first down and new life on that final drive

Or how bout how they decided to call Bennetts ball incomplete and the Cruz ball a fumble??.....both calls went against the giants.

On the bennett play (and he had the ball much longer the Cruz did) he caught it went to the ground and it popped out. Should have been a catch and ground caused the fumble and put on 1 yard line and 1st and goal, or a ruled a fumble which Bennett recovered in the endzone for a TD... NOT INCOMPLETE. and their was no review. I dont remember if that one was near end of half or under 2m like the bradshaw Bad Spot where we couldnt challenge cause if was under 2m. If not then i feel TC should of had it looked at.

The other one was a bang bang play. Cruz caught it and got hammered at the same time and they called it a fumble. He didnt even have time to secure it or bring it to his body or make a football move. he had it for a split second and it was jarred out. 9times out of 10 they call that an incomplete pass. Cruz had it much less time then Bennett did yet they called this one a fumble and dallas got the ball and points off the turnover.

I dont think it could be challeneged that it was an incomplete pass. not sure.

but overall there was a lot of questionable things that went on to give dallas extra time and chances to come back in this game

ashleymarie
10-29-2012, 09:37 AM
All of their fanaggling with the clock kicked them in their own pants. :)

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 09:38 AM
maybe im a homer but it seemed there were A LOT of plays or calls that either gave the cowboys more time or gave them more chances to win.

other examples. On the Hosley Hold Tuck had a sack that would have made it 4th and forever for Romo. Even a dallas homer Deon Sanders said it was textbook coverage by Hosley. That gave them a first down and new life on that final drive

Or how bout how they decided to call Bennetts ball incomplete and the Cruz ball a fumble??.....both calls went against the giants.

On the bennett play (and he had the ball much longer the Cruz did) he caught it went to the ground and it popped out. Should have been a catch and ground caused the fumble and put on 1 yard line and 1st and goal, or a ruled a fumble which Bennett recovered in the endzone for a TD... NOT INCOMPLETE. and their was no review. I dont remember if that one was near end of half or under 2m like the bradshaw Bad Spot where we couldnt challenge cause if was under 2m. If not then i feel TC should of had it looked at.

The other one was a bang bang play. Cruz caught it and got hammered at the same time and they called it a fumble. He didnt even have time to secure it or bring it to his body or make a football move. he had it for a split second and it was jarred out. 9times out of 10 they call that an incomplete pass. Cruz had it much less time then Bennett did yet they called this one a fumble and dallas got the ball and points off the turnover.

but overall there was a lot of questionable things that went on to give dallas extra time and chances to come back in this game

Pretty sure they ruled that the ball never hit the ground on the Cruz play - complete or incomplete is irrelevant at that point.

And the Bennett play - with any catch going to the ground you have to maintain possesion ground or not - thems the rules.

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:59 AM
Pretty sure they ruled that the ball never hit the ground on the Cruz play - complete or incomplete is irrelevant at that point.

And the Bennett play - with any catch going to the ground you have to maintain possesion ground or not - thems the rules.yes and that was why it couldnt be reviewed to see if it was incomplete. but my point was comparing the two it just seemed that bennetts was held way longer then cruz's. it was the wrong call on cruz one. should have been ruled incomplete from the start.

Morehead State
10-29-2012, 10:01 AM

The most important call went our way.

CowboysSuck
10-29-2012, 10:02 AM
I was going absolutely nuts when i saw they left 1 sec on that clock. Nuts, crazy, insane. I couldnt believe it. Watch that play and start your stopwatch exactly when it gets snapped an dont stop it until the ball has already fallen incomplete and the clock is stopped in a normal fashion. Takes at least 7-8 seconds. COMPLETE BULL****

Kruunch
10-29-2012, 10:04 AM

The fact that we were up 23-0 in the second quarter had nothing to do with those expectations.

/facepalm

CowboysSuck
10-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Initially it didnt. But its not like a penalty call that could go either way. That no TD call was a yes/no, binary decision. It is either clearly a TD or it isn't.

So in a sense, it wasnt a call that went our way. It was the only call.

RagTime Blue
10-29-2012, 10:05 AM
Basketball and Hockey both show the last minute down to the 1/10 of a second (ex. 25.1 sec). I hope it doesn't take a bad incident for the NFL to catch-up to what NBA and NHL have been doing for 15 years.

The advantage is that it more accurately shows the moment the clock was stopped or started, and with instant replay can be quite accurate.

nycisgreat
10-29-2012, 10:05 AM

I don't that this is the real clock issue. Let talk about how the ref gave the Boys 4 extra seconds to make it 10. Bryant's hands were out of bounds when they called the catch in the in zone a touchdown, which caused the clock to stop immediately.

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 10:07 AM

No argument there

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 10:09 AM
Initially it didnt. But its not like a penalty call that could go either way. That no TD call was a yes/no, binary decision. It is either clearly a TD or it isn't.

So in a sense, it wasnt a call that went our way. It was the only call.

Well I'm glad Binary got the call right

Morehead State
10-29-2012, 10:12 AM
I don't that this is the real clock issue. Let talk about how the ref gave the Boys 4 extra seconds to make it 10. Bryant's hands were out of bounds when they called the catch in the in zone a touchdown, which caused the clock to stop immediately.
There were 10 seconds on the clock when he hit the ground. I watched the replay. It was the right call.
There is a BS shot on FB showing 6 seconds as his hand hit but it also showed the score 30-29. It was a live shot of the clock and a replay of the play.

Again...THERE WERE 10 SECONDS LEFT WHEN THE PLAY WAS OVER. It was the right call.

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Im conceding...

Watching highlights just now and the putting of 4 seconds back on the clock was technically justified. Bryant hit the ground on the 11-10 ticks..

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 10:18 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/10/29/coughlin-cowboys-clock-was-stuck-on-one-second/related/

Excerpt: "Giants coach Tom Coughlin hinted after Sunday’s game that the Cowboys may have been aided by a hometown clock operator.

In his post-game press conference, Coughlin indicated that he thought the Cowboys got an extra second, and therefore an extra play, at the end of the game, which the Giants won 29-24 at Cowboys Stadium.

“It’s been a long time since I saw three plays in 10 seconds,” Coughlin said. “I thought that was an incredible thing to have happen right there. I mean, we thought it was over, with the high ball over the middle. I looked up and the thing was stuck on one.” Read more...

TheAnalyst
10-29-2012, 10:19 AM
Longest final minute ever.

njg85m
10-29-2012, 10:20 AM
Longest final mintue ever.
^
Lol this.

miked1958
10-29-2012, 10:34 AM
That actually was correct. when Dez landed and the play was over the clock was at 10seconds. Then it kept running and an additional 4 seconds ticked off. so they were right on that onelol did i not say this 12/15 posts ago... it was the right call putting the 4 seconds back on. lets move on

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Perhaps time to take that duty away from teams

CowboysSuck
10-29-2012, 10:56 AM
Well I'm glad Binary got the call right

You and me both. I screamed pretty loud...started throwing things... I was a bit pissed.

That replay of his hand brought me back to reality. But I still was certain those homer refs werent going to overturn it.

that was the most suspenseful/angry/anxiety/stressful end of a game in a long time.

-Binary

RichardMc
10-29-2012, 11:00 AM
The NFL Play by Play
3-6-NYG 37
(:10) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo pass short left to 82-J.Witten pushed ob at NYG 27 for 10 yards (52-S.Paysinger).

1-10-NYG 27
(:06) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo pass incomplete deep middle to 19-M.Austin. Pass incomplete on a post pattern.
Timeout #3 by NYG at 00:01.

2-10-NYG 27
(:01) (Shotgun) 9-T.Romo pass incomplete deep middle to 82-J.Witten.

Robert21156
10-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Hey Buddy, I was the one who said our O-line was underrated and our defense. I was one of the posters who said the Giants were going to beat the 49ers. My track record is way better than yours. You'll catch on soon I hope.
Well, our "underrated" offensive line performed just like that yesterday! They were underwhelming. Very little push on running plays and they continue to get pushed back toward Eli giving him very little room to move in the pocket. Yes we don't give up many sacks and that's mostly because Eli just throws the ball away. O-line needs to be our number 1 priority this next off-season.

YATittle1962
10-29-2012, 12:28 PM
how about don't give up 24 un answered after having a 23 point lead and we are not discussing clocks stopping quickly

chuckedafter5yards
10-29-2012, 12:50 PM
Time sure moved slowly when the Cowboys had the ball- 3 seconds a play on those Witten pass plays out of bounds??????

Rusty192
10-29-2012, 01:17 PM
I love it Clock gate, Did seem like they were able to run a ton of plays. The pass to whitten along the side line only took 4 secs, which shocked me at the time. Something else to have the NFL spend tons of time on ...Yeah it seemed like a Madden game.

miked1958
10-29-2012, 04:13 PM
actually it was better that Austin dropped that pass cause it did give them 1 final chance. Had he caught it he had 3 guys around him around the 3 yard line. no way he would have gotten in and the clock would have expried

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 04:32 PM
actually it was better that Austin dropped that pass cause it did give them 1 final chance. Had he caught it he had 3 guys around him around the 3 yard line. no way he would have gotten in and the clock would have expried

Call me crazy but it sounds like you are saying each of the both scenarios is the better one

miked1958
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
Call me crazy but it sounds like you are saying each of the both scenarios is the better oneSorry lol. I meant better for them (the cowboys)... a lot of my dallas friends and family were upset that he dropped it. I was like you would have lost if he caught it. now u get one more play. sorry

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Sorry lol. I meant better for them (the cowboys)... a lot of my dallas friends and family were upset that he dropped it. I was like you would have lost if he caught it. now u get one more play. sorry

Ahh ok makes perfect sense now - definitely not my default perspective :)

rEaS
10-29-2012, 06:04 PM
Sorry lol. I meant better for them (the cowboys)... a lot of my dallas friends and family were upset that he dropped it. I was like you would have lost if he caught it. now u get one more play. sorry

yeah i thought that too.. too bad he didnt catch it actually because theres no way they would have been able to stop the clock in time and lost at that moment..

although on second thought maybe they would with that clock manager.. he would have probably made that second last for an hour.. lol..

miked1958
10-29-2012, 06:10 PM
yeah i thought that too.. too bad he didnt catch it actually because theres no way they would have been able to stop the clock in time and lost at that moment.. although on second thought maybe they would with that clock manager.. he would have probably made that second last for an hour.. lol..lol you are right

rainierjef
10-29-2012, 06:16 PM
I just reviewed it and I hate to say it but I think you guys need to review those last 10 seconds yourself.

One poster asked why they put 4 seconds back on the board, well because the catch was ruled out of bounds and he went out of bounds at the 10 second mark, the clock ran off for about 4 seconds so that's the explanation for that.

As far as this clock gate thing, I don't see any infractions with the integrity of the clock. This is just what I! saw feel free to review it yourselves, but I think fans are just looking for another excuse to sooth the fact that we almost let this one slip away from us. It's cool to point out the ref's mistakes if there were in fact mistakes to point out, but this clock gate is just a tad bit much.

CuseGirl
10-29-2012, 06:30 PM
I went back to that last drive. The clock didn't move for 2 full seconds until after the ball is snapped on two different plays. But it's a moot point now, I guess Coughlin is just upset and doesn't want it happening later on.

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 06:31 PM
I just reviewed it and I hate to say it but I think you guys need to review those last 10 seconds yourself.

One poster asked why they put 4 seconds back on the board, well because the catch was ruled out of bounds and he went out of bounds at the 10 second mark, the clock ran off for about 4 seconds so that's the explanation for that.

As far as this clock gate thing, I don't see any infractions with the integrity of the clock. This is just what I! saw feel free to review it yourselves, but I think fans are just looking for another excuse to sooth the fact that we almost let this one slip away from us. It's cool to point out the ref's mistakes if there were in fact mistakes to point out, but this clock gate is just a tad bit much.

I think most have us have settled down now, watched it without the blue glasses and agree.

SanAntonioGiant
10-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Had 6 Secs when his hand hit!!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1644901/20121028184200.jpg

Morehead State
10-29-2012, 06:39 PM

Check the score under the clock. This was a live shot of the clock and a replay of the play.
There were 10 seconds left when this moment occurred.

rainierjef
10-29-2012, 06:45 PM

You need to go back and watch that yourself and not go off this picture. this was the replay shot not the actual shot.

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 06:48 PM

Bud - that's a still of the replay after the play happened. You have to watch a replay of the live broadcast of the catch.

rainierjef
10-29-2012, 06:58 PM
I went back to that last drive. The clock didn't move for 2 full seconds until after the ball is snapped on two different plays. But it's a moot point now, I guess Coughlin is just upset and doesn't want it happening later on.

Nah, there is always a 1second and 6-8/10 of a second run off before the clock starts ticking off after the ball is snapped. Look at the giants possessions, especially the ones out of shotgun for a more accurate look. I understand where your coming from, but there is nothing there to show anything shady.