PDA

View Full Version : Manning, the offense, and winning masking poor defensive performance!

Snappinnecks
10-29-2012, 10:16 AM
The stats have been there for the past 2 years that the defense is has been not performing well. I don't think we've fully acknowledged it because we are winning freaking Super Bowls! Would the criticism be even warranted? I'm not sure what to think of it all. Do you guys think it's a lack of talent? Is it the defensive scheme and philosophy? Is it the execution? I'm not sure but the fact that we were up 23-0 and almost lost the game brings this concern front and center. What do you guys think?

TheAnalyst
10-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Wow. I actually think the offense was so bad that the defense is worn down. Did you watch the first quarter? Offense should of made it 40-0. FG after FG, not being able to move the ball, 3 and outs, drops, bad passes, bad execution, predictable playcalling, TCs horrible clock management. Offense almost blew this game in my opinion.

Ruttiger711
10-29-2012, 10:29 AM
I think the defense is capable of highlight reel plays that a lot of people mistake as "doing their job". Its the other 95% of the game not in the highlight package that the defense worries me.

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 10:30 AM
I came away saying "if the offense had only taken advantage of all those turnovers"......

TheAnalyst
10-29-2012, 10:32 AM
I came away saying "if the offense had only taken advantage of all those turnovers"......

Exactly.

How many 3 and outs did we have? Offense was totally predictable and Rob Ryan ate Gilbride for lunch.

ashleymarie
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
It was a sad day for the Offense. Had it not been for the Defense I'm not sure Giants would have even been in the game. Sad. Sad.

ashleymarie
10-29-2012, 10:33 AM
Got to do better against the Steelers.

Drez
10-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Wow. I actually think the offense was so bad that the defense is worn down. Did you watch the first quarter? Offense should of made it 40-0. FG after FG, not being able to move the ball, 3 and outs, drops, bad passes, bad execution, predictable playcalling, TCs horrible clock management. Offense almost blew this game in my opinion.
That was definitely true of this past game, but not necessarily the case in a holistic sense.

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Got to do better against the Steelers.

And we will

barcode56
10-29-2012, 10:41 AM
Defense plaid well. based on the fact that they had very little rest. Division games are always tight you know this

JesseJames
10-29-2012, 10:42 AM
where is the defense that we beat the 49ers with, same players just not playing the same..

Drez
10-29-2012, 10:43 AM
Defense plaid well. based on the fact that they had very little rest. Division games are always tight you know this
I was talking to a friend during the game yesterday and was mentioning that the defense was either playing lights out or like crap. Think about, if we weren't turning the ball over on defense how many defensive stops did we really have? One? Two? Granted, the offense HAS to take better advantage of those opportunities. We left way too many points on the field.

Diamondring
10-29-2012, 10:45 AM
where is the defense that we beat the 49ers with, same players just not playing the same..This.

ReiRiza
10-29-2012, 10:46 AM
It was a sad day for the Offense. Had it not been for the Defense I'm not sure Giants would have even been in the game. Sad. Sad.57 plays by the Giants offense vs 80+ plays by the cowboys offense. I agree our defense was a reason we won that game. Our offense did nothing for most of the game. 62 pass attempts 400 yards passing makes sense to me. I'm honestly not worried about our defense......yet.

CowboysSuck
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM

+1

The offense almost lost us the game. NOT the defense. They played fine. Not only did they play fine, but they stopped 2...TWO game winning drives by the Cowboys. What gives with some people? ...my goodness

Diamondring
10-29-2012, 10:49 AM
+1

The offense almost lost us the game. NOT the defense. They played fine. Not only did they play fine, but they stopped 2...TWO game winning drives by the Cowboys. What gives with some people? ...my goodnessThis more.

CowboysSuck
10-29-2012, 10:50 AM
I was talking to a friend during the game yesterday and was mentioning that the defense was either playing lights out or like crap. Think about, if we weren't turning the ball over on defense how many defensive stops did we really have? One? Two? Granted, the offense HAS to take better advantage of those opportunities. We left way too many points on the field.

Agree the offense left wayy too many points on the field.

But saying, "take away the turnovers and how many stops did we have?" Is arguing with a false premise. INT's are stops, and are good defensive plays. Thats like saying, "Take away all the stops we had and how many turnovers did we actually have?" It makes no sense.

BuffyBlueII
10-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Our offense was the main problem yesterday. The defense caused some nice turnovers and then PF decided to go soft after we were up 23-0 which was real dumb.

VBGiantsFan
10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Great defense that was completely worn out by the third quarter masked a horendous offensive performance IMO. The defense directly lead to all of our points until the last two field goals. This was a truly aweful offensive performance. At one point Eli was 8/21 with an INT.

Sarcasman
10-29-2012, 10:52 AM
+1

The offense almost lost us the game. NOT the defense. They played fine. Not only did they play fine, but they stopped 2...TWO game winning drives by the Cowboys. What gives with some people? ...my goodness

The defense played OK. Let's not go crazy it was hardly the '85 Bears out there.

The offense played like complete crap.

BuffyBlueII
10-29-2012, 10:54 AM
where is the defense that we beat the 49ers with, same players just not playing the same..

The defensive scheme against 49ers was brilliant. We challenged Alex Smith and took everything away and made him attempt the long throws which he is not good at. The scheme yesterday after we were up 23-0 was to go soft and give up the middle and short stuff to the Romosexual which was a real dumb scheme. Nevertheless, our offense was horrible yesterday just as it was last week but a win is a win.

TheAnalyst
10-29-2012, 10:57 AM
That was definitely true of this past game, but not necessarily the case in a holistic sense.

We are always struggling in the "green zone". Its why Tynes leads the league in FG attempts and makes.

FiremanBob
10-29-2012, 11:00 AM
If Hixon gets first down - game over, If Bradshaw gets a first down game would have been over. 2 plays that should have been made and would have changed the game.

JesseJames
10-29-2012, 11:03 AM
we have to settle for too many FGs and thats been a problem for this offense for too long now, we are terrible in the redzone..

BillTheGreek
10-29-2012, 11:05 AM
You can't Blow a 23 -- 0 Lead ! It will come back to bite you..........The Steelers are not going to Play like the Cowboys.....infact all the teams from now on, are playing for the Playoffs.........So Giants, "Get Ready NOW ! " Secure your spot !

nhpgiantsfan
10-29-2012, 11:05 AM
Defense beat up on the bad Romo, and got torched by the good Romo in the second half.

The defense did a good job getting the offense the ball with a short field multiple times.

However in the second half, they simply could not cover anybody, allowing the Cowboys right back in the game.

Pretty bad game on both sides of the ball, but the offenses inability to get TD's was the biggest issue of the day.

giantsforce
10-29-2012, 11:11 AM
I came away saying "if the offense had only taken advantage of all those turnovers"......Well, I have been saying this all along and I still get attacked because I question the play calling and some of the execution sometimes. The fact remains that we score a TD only 25% of the time inside the 20! If that does not make you question the play calling and coaching, I am not sure what will. There is no excuse not to be able to run the clock with 1:03 left in the game. None. All it takes is 1 first down and we could not even manage that. Is it the players, is it the play calling or both? And why isn't the HC doing anything about it? we are 8 games now in the season and we are sill having the same problems. This team has way too much talent that either is not used properly or it is not used at all.

Roosevelt
10-29-2012, 11:14 AM

This. Our offense failed to capitalize on the turnovers the defense kept giving them.

But looking at Perry Fewel's defense over the years, it's been up and down. At times we look terrific while other times we look terrible. One thing I don't understand is why we look so clueless when playing zone coverage?

giantsforce
10-29-2012, 11:17 AM
The defensive scheme against 49ers was brilliant. We challenged Alex Smith and took everything away and made him attempt the long throws which he is not good at. The scheme yesterday after we were up 23-0 was to go soft and give up the middle and short stuff to the Romosexual which was a real dumb scheme. Nevertheless, our offense was horrible yesterday just as it was last week but a win is a win.The problem tough was that Dallas coaching staff adjusted and they were taking whatever we were giving them. We did not adjust and take what they gave us. No matter what anyone says, Killdrive is too predictable. They were stacking the box to stop the run because they knew Killdrive will not call any plays underneath. It was either run or throw long and they were ready for it. We did not attempt not even 1 slant or screen play!

thomsoad
10-29-2012, 11:19 AM
The We did not attempt not even 1 slant or screen play!

That is such unbelievable BS!!
Did you NOT watch the game??
We ran multiple slants and screens.
Anyone who knows anything about this game could tell our execution blew.
This one aint on Gilbride...our execution was PATHETIC!

Sarcasman
10-29-2012, 11:24 AM
Well, I have been saying this all along and I still get attacked because I question the play calling and some of the execution sometimes. The fact remains that we score a TD only 25% of the time inside the 20! If that does not make you question the play calling and coaching, I am not sure what will. There is no excuse not to be able to run the clock with 1:03 left in the game. None. All it takes is 1 first down and we could not even manage that. Is it the players, is it the play calling or both? And why isn't the HC doing anything about it? we are 8 games now in the season and we are sill having the same problems. This team has way too much talent that either is not used properly or it is not used at all.

I don't see any reason for anyone to attack you over your opinion.

Between play calling and execution there really isn't anything else to blame.

Imgrate
10-29-2012, 11:25 AM
Defense scored as many tds as our offense did.

Drez
10-29-2012, 11:39 AM
Agree the offense left wayy too many points on the field.

But saying, "take away the turnovers and how many stops did we have?" Is arguing with a false premise. INT's are stops, and are good defensive plays. Thats like saying, "Take away all the stops we had and how many turnovers did we actually have?" It makes no sense.

But, you ignore the feast or famine nature of the defense.

On those drives where the defense didn't get a turnover they allowed the Cowboys to do whatever they wanted to them. That isn't good play. Take a look at how poorly we defended the sidelines on that last drive when we knew that they had no timeouts left. We were giving up those outs like candy on Halloween.

Eliscruzzz
10-29-2012, 11:49 AM
That is such unbelievable BS!!
Did you NOT watch the game??
We ran multiple slants and screens.
Anyone who knows anything about this game could tell our execution blew.
This one aint on Gilbride...our execution was PATHETIC!The play calling was terrible too...it wasn't only the players.

TroyArcher
10-29-2012, 11:53 AM
Defense is very capable of playing dominating defense (i.e. 49ers victory). They once again have had key injuries and they are filling in with lesser experienced and in most cases less talented. I think the Terell Thomas injury was a tough blow. The secondary was thin and when he went down it is now really thin. The DB's will have to get better and hopefully soon.

FrankAE
10-29-2012, 12:14 PM
Am I hearing this right, the defense played well because the offense didn't now help them get rest. The games possesion clock had like a 3 mins different favoring the cowboys. Not at all a dominate possesion game. The defense just sucked, when you can't stop the plays every fan is yelling is coming, you suck. Everyone knew what was coming on every play in the 4th yet the Giants didn't. He's a taught make a LB take three steps back and witten wont go there to eat up the middle. Don't mistake turnovers for good play by a defense, the inability to stop a offense is what makes a defense suck. Just look at the number of times teams have been going for it on 4th downs, that the Giants can never stop. RG3 converted a 4th and 10, among other, Romo 4th and goal then ran the same play at the goal line and Giants still didn't see it. Its sad,
The offense was terrible but that's not why the defense sucked.

Robert21156
10-29-2012, 12:20 PM
Am I hearing this right, the defense played well because the offense didn't now help them get rest. The games possesion clock had like a 3 mins different favoring the cowboys. Not at all a dominate possesion game. The defense just sucked, when you can't stop the plays every fan is yelling is coming, you suck. Everyone knew what was coming on every play in the 4th yet the Giants didn't. He's a taught make a LB take three steps back and witten wont go there to eat up the middle. Don't mistake turnovers for good play by a defense, the inability to stop a offense is what makes a defense suck. Just look at the number of times teams have been going for it on 4th downs, that the Giants can never stop. RG3 converted a 4th and 10, among other, Romo 4th and goal then ran the same play at the goal line and Giants still didn't see it. Its sad,
The offense was terrible but that's not why the defense sucked.
You're right on. Yes, the offense was terrible and some of that is because Dallas' defense has improved. However, our defense sucked "other" than the turnovers that we got (some we earned, some they gave us). It can't be acceptable to give up over 400 yards passing when we KNOW the other team is going to throw the ball. Isn't that what defensive teams LIVE for? to know that the other team is going to throw so they can pin their ears back and go kill the QB? Not us. I've never felt like the G-men were so outplayed, yet actually won the game.

BeatYale
10-29-2012, 12:35 PM
We almost lost because the offense could not score touchdowns. 4 red zone trips resulted in 1 touchdown. As others pointed out, we also had numerous 3 and outs which prevented us from sustaining drives to win the time of possession battle to prevent a comeback and keep our D fresh. The D had some awful moments but they had a bigger impact on the win than the offense.

Not scoring touchdowns isn't a new problem though. It's a problem that's existed throughout the Coughlin era. Yardage wise we've ranked up there with the best of them. We can't say the same for TD's, we just haven't been deadly in the red zone. It's common for our drives to come to a halt because... who knows what the problem is? KG? Eli? OLine? WRs? RBs?

Sarcasman
10-29-2012, 12:36 PM
You're right on. Yes, the offense was terrible and some of that is because Dallas' defense has improved. However, our defense sucked "other" than the turnovers that we got (some we earned, some they gave us). It can't be acceptable to give up over 400 yards passing when we KNOW the other team is going to throw the ball. Isn't that what defensive teams LIVE for? to know that the other team is going to throw so they can pin their ears back and go kill the QB? Not us. I've never felt like the G-men were so outplayed, yet actually won the game.

Sure it is.

Just read the posts of the defense cultists here; most of them still think it's 19986 or 2007. The defense "forced" all those turnovers simply due to their unearthly greatness. It had nothing at all to do with Dallas' incompetence.

nycisgreat
10-29-2012, 01:14 PM
The stats have been there for the past 2 years that the defense is has been not performing well. I don't think we've fully acknowledged it because we are winning freaking Super Bowls! Would the criticism be even warranted? I'm not sure what to think of it all. Do you guys think it's a lack of talent? Is it the defensive scheme and philosophy? Is it the execution? I'm not sure but the fact that we were up 23-0 and almost lost the game brings this concern front and center. What do you guys think?

Dude, the offense almost lost the game yesterday. We got six turnovers yesterday, at least 4 sacks, 20+ knockdowns on Romo. What else do you want the defense to do? We kicked 5 field goals yesterday.

Drez
10-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Dude, the offense almost lost the game yesterday. We got six turnovers yesterday, at least 4 sacks, 20+ knockdowns on Romo. What else do you want the defense to do? We kicked 5 field goals yesterday.Protect the sidelines with under a minute left when the other team doesn't have a timeout. Prevent the opposing team from scoring on 4 consecutive drives. Not let a receiver get behind them for a near game winning/losing TD when that is exactly what they are supposed to prevent...

FrankAE
10-29-2012, 01:37 PM
NO, they almost lost because the defense gave up 24 points. The offense getting 3 instead of 7 was why it wasn't a blow out in the 1st. Offenses (aside from turnovers) don't let the other team score points. Yes if they would have managed to stay on the field more than three downs at a time cowboys would not have had the time to catch up, but thats not a reason for the defense to just let them walk right up the field.

This Dline is beyond bad, the lb's can't cover the ground where they stand.

Don't let 36 of 62 fool you either, the secondary sucks also, romo over throws a lot and his receivers drop alot. The coverage itself was nearly non existant for most of the latter 3 quarters.

GiantRoc
10-29-2012, 01:38 PM

I'm pretty sure a turnover counts as a defensive stop. So add those to the punts for total stops. Those guys get tired getting only 3 or 4 plays off for 3 series in a row.

By the way guys, don't blame the offense. Someone might think you were picking on Gilbride again.

The D had its problems, no doubt. I also think they hung in there in a bad situation given a poor offensive performance.

Drez
10-29-2012, 01:40 PM
I'm pretty sure a turnover counts as a defensive stop. So add those to the punts for total stops. Those guys get tired getting only 3 or 4 plays off for 3 series in a row.

By the way guys, don't blame the offense. Someone might think you were picking on Gilbride again.

I never said the offense played well, but the defense let the Cowboys have their way with them for nearly 3Q.

thomsoad
10-29-2012, 02:19 PM
The play calling was terrible too...it wasn't only the players.

Once again I ask for someone to show me how the playcalling was terrible.
Gilbride called a near 50/50 split and tried to run the ball.
I dont call that bad playcalling.
I dont care what you call...if recievers drop balls, wont cross the 1st down marker, and lineman WONT push on running plays...ur gonna fail.
Even if the great Bill Walsh came back from the dead and directed our Offense yesterday it would of been useless.
Our O players were pathetic....Even "smart" Hixon blew 2 first downs by not just getting to the marker.

Mercury
10-29-2012, 02:20 PM
In other good news, we can take two quarters off and still win vs. Dallas.

Drez
10-29-2012, 02:22 PM
Once again I ask for someone to show me how the playcalling was terrible.
Gilbride called a near 50/50 split and tried to run the ball.
I dont call that bad playcalling.
I dont care what you call...if recievers drop balls, wont cross the 1st down marker, and lineman WONT push on running plays...ur gonna fail.
Even if the great Bill Walsh came back from the dead and directed our Offense yesterday it would of been useless.
Our O players were pathetic....Even "smart" Hixon blew 2 first downs by not just getting to the marker.
Overall the play calling was decent. There were a couple things I think we could have done differently (i.e. on the drive of our last FG, I think we should have gone play action on second down after gaining decent ground on 2 or 3 straight runs). But, that's pretty nitpicky in the grand scheme of things. I think we had at least 3 drops on 3rd down that should have been caught for first downs (and that doesn't even count any drops on any other downs).

thomsoad
10-29-2012, 02:31 PM
Overall the play calling was decent. There were a couple things I think we could have done differently (i.e. on the drive of our last FG, I think we should have gone play action on second down after gaining decent ground on 2 or 3 straight runs). But, that's pretty nitpicky in the grand scheme of things. I think we had at least 3 drops on 3rd down that should have been caught for first downs (and that doesn't even count any drops on any other downs).

Dont forget the 2 Hixon plays where he failed to reach the first down marker when he had the chance to (granted the 2nd one was a poor Eli throw). So count the 3 drops and 2 failures to just run North and get the 1st down...thats FIVE times we had to punt when if the players had just made the freakin play the Offense still wulda been on the field.

Tie in Bradshaws fumble and thats six times we had the ball and the players FAILED...not Gilbride.

Drez
10-29-2012, 02:37 PM
Dont forget the 2 Hixon plays where he failed to reach the first down marker when he had the chance to (granted the 2nd one was a poor Eli throw). So count the 3 drops and 2 failures to just run North and get the 1st down...thats FIVE times we had to punt when if the players had just made the freakin play the Offense still wulda been on the field.

Tie in Bradshaws fumble and thats six times we had the ball and the players FAILED...not Gilbride.
All fair points.

Harooni
10-29-2012, 03:02 PM
the avg fan has no clue that the offense stalling and turning the ball over makes the D look bad

Sarcasman
10-29-2012, 03:09 PM
Even some of the Lake Wobegon fans around here struggle with that concept and its corollary.

nycisgreat
10-29-2012, 03:12 PM
Protect the sidelines with under a minute left when the other team doesn't have a timeout. Prevent the opposing team from scoring on 4 consecutive drives. Not let a receiver get behind them for a near game winning/losing TD when that is exactly what they are supposed to prevent...

So you're saying the game is only 60 secs instead of 60 minutes. If the defense didn't get six turnover overs, we would have been blown out big time. Cruz, Nicks and Bradshaw looked like they were out of their element yesterday. Did you really think the Giants would've keep the Boys on zero. I am homer, but I am rational. The game was as close as I thought it was going to be. Our offense was no existent yesterday. Eli passer rating was 58%, which says it all.

Sarcasman
10-29-2012, 03:33 PM
So you're saying the game is only 60 secs instead of 60 minutes. If the defense didn't get six turnover overs, we would have been blown out big time. Cruz, Nicks and Bradshaw looked like they were out of their element yesterday. Did you really think the Giants would've keep the Boys on zero. I am homer, but I am rational. The game was as close as I thought it was going to be. Our offense was no existent yesterday. Eli passer rating was 58%, which says it all.

If the Cowboys hadn't handed the Giants 6 turnovers it would have been a completely different game but how it would have been different is anybody's guess.

You can't take the 6 TOs out of the mix and then pretend that everything else would have played the same. For example, one would hope, nay pray that the Giants would not have gone into their patented prevent-winning defense had they not gotten the TOs and early lead.

At least that's what I'd like to believe.

So, of course the game would have been completely different without the turnovers but I say it would have still been a close game and the Giants very likely still would have won it. There's essentially no recent history supporting otherwise.

Oh, and don't use passer rating to support an argument, people might think you actually believe that stat means something.

Drez
10-29-2012, 03:52 PM
I never said the offense played well. However, despite the turnovers they were able to get the defense didn't play all that well either. We let 3 receivers go over 100 yards. The defense let the Cowboys back into the game by allowing them to score on 4 possessions. Sure, the offense didn't help matters any, but let's not act like the defense played a brilliant shutdown kind of game yesterday.

rebelfan1966
10-29-2012, 03:54 PM
Lets face it... our offense sure fell short of rewarding our defense with all those take aways. A FG is better than nothing..... but c'mon man.

gumby74
10-29-2012, 04:53 PM
I was talking to a friend during the game yesterday and was mentioning that the defense was either playing lights out or like crap. Think about, if we weren't turning the ball over on defense how many defensive stops did we really have? One? Two? Granted, the offense HAS to take better advantage of those opportunities. We left way too many points on the field. This. For the most part we keep opponents under 20 or close to, which with our offense should be good enough to win a lot of games, but our defense is NOT good and can't get a stop/3 and out to save its life. We can however get turnovers. We're the saints defense when they won it all. Terrible, but timely forced turnovers.

JesseJames
10-29-2012, 05:29 PM
any time a defense lets the other team have 3 receivers with over 100 yards then thats a serious problem, we shut down their run game and pretty much made them one dimensional and they still ran up huge passing yards and almost won the game..I wish someone could explain to me how that could happen and I'd like to hear TCs explanation too...

brad
10-29-2012, 06:05 PM
It seems far too many fans see either offense or defense, not recognizing that the each relies on the other for success. The offense needs to defense to get them the ball back, preferably in good field position. The defense needs the offense to stay on the field and capitalize on turnovers. If you do that, you will win the game. The defense did their part by creating 6 turnovers, even scoring for the offense on one of those. The offense did not do their part, scoring only 1 TD with the remaining 5 turnovers.

foosball
10-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Dude the offense stunk yesterday. 3 of 15 on third down, 1 td and 3 fg's. Retire from posting.

Captain Chaos
10-29-2012, 06:56 PM
I think you need to zero in on the problem, we couldn't cover Whitten. When we over compensate for that we have trouble with Bryant and Austin. Think we missed J Will on this one and to be honest I don't think we ever cracked the nut on Whitten.

B&RWarrior
10-29-2012, 08:03 PM
Dude the offense stunk yesterday. 3 of 15 on third down, 1 td and 3 fg's. Retire from posting.

+1

Robert21156
10-29-2012, 10:43 PM
Sure, the offense didn't do much at all, but there's no reason OUR defense couldn't get off the field. We just kept on giving up 3rd down plays for firsts. Our defense is VERY poor if we don't get pressure on the QB.

BillTheGreek
10-30-2012, 10:18 AM
Tom hit the nail on the head !

On 10/ 29/12 ...Coach Coughlin said
Sure, we would like to have touchdowns instead of field goals and then perhaps in the long run, it wouldn’t have been as close as it was taking advantage of that, but we did. That’s the Achilles heel for us right now. Punching the ball in the end zone when we do get into the green zone. We haven’t done a very good job of that.