PDA

View Full Version : Why does Eli Manning never get sacked.......its weird to say the least

BParcells777
10-29-2012, 12:36 PM
If they can block that well for Manning , Bradshaw must be the RB problem........it not a bad oline

slipknottin
10-29-2012, 12:38 PM
Eli avoids sacks possibly better than any other QB in the league.

Bradshaw has bad vision, and he tries to start going laterally right away, instead of pressing the hole and waiting for it to open like Brown does.

BeatYale
10-29-2012, 12:45 PM
I think Eli makes the OLine appear better than they are. Coughlin mentioned how good he is at setting protections and David Carr mentioned Eli being the only QB who cares enough to look at the jersey numbers of the guys that hit him to take mental notes of where the pressure came from and what players to look out for etc.

I do believe the OLine was once great at consistently creating holes and that inflated the value of guys like Jacobs and Bradshaw who both, in the end, seemed to have poor instincts and a counter-productive running style in which they hesitate too much in the back field with wasted motions and killing their forward momentum. There's a reason why Brown looks good out there. He grabs the rock and runs. It's simple, but not easy.

NYG 5
10-29-2012, 12:54 PM
because he has the uncanny ability to feel the pressure, move away from it and chuck and duck. only difference is, now he can chuck and duck with surprising accuracy.

for the most part, he's never been a big sack taker. he averages 25 sacks a year while throwing around 500 times a year. he's a 4.5% career sack guy. league average is probably around 6-8 percent.

BParcells777
10-29-2012, 01:02 PM
So the Oline is average, and Eli is Fred Astaire.........are you really buying that?

slipknottin
10-29-2012, 01:04 PM
So the Oline is average, and Eli is Fred Astaire.........are you really buying that?

The OL is signifncantly better this season than they were last. Yet Eli rarely got sacked last season either. Eli absolutely is one of the best at moving inside the pocket.

YATittle1962
10-29-2012, 01:05 PM
huge difference between run blocking and pass blocking

Giants run blocking has not been anything to write home about ....be it a man up surge or a traveling zone scheme

on the other hand they look quite good pass blocking most of the time....and Eli does a great job avoiding pressure and buying time

nycisgreat
10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
If they can block that well for Manning , Bradshaw must be the RB problem........it not a bad oline

Bradshaw usually follow the beat of his own drum. He rarely follow lead blocking. Hynoski setup running lanes so well.

BParcells777
10-29-2012, 01:11 PM
I think Bradshaw hits the hole too hard.......he has no vision or acceleration........typically cannot break tackles

Toadofsteel
10-29-2012, 01:18 PM
Eli has the greatest pocket presence of any QB in the NFL. Probably developed it to cope with last year's O-line...

JimC
10-29-2012, 01:24 PM

Bradshaw has bad vision, and he tries to start going laterally right away, instead of pressing the hole and waiting for it to open like Brown does.

I believe this is a good observation. It appears often that AB picks the wrong direction to go when he's in the hole.

Kruunch
10-29-2012, 01:25 PM

This.

Our oline isn't as bad as was originally made out but neither are they as good as their sack record would indicate. Eli does do an excellent job of avoiding the sack.

Bradshaw just seems unfocused at times. Despite his hyped up show last week, he's only looked really focused in two games this year, both times hitting the whole hard and pressing one-cut runs.

Bradshaw is a better running back than Brown but not so much so that he can afford to sleep walk his way through games.

Drez
10-29-2012, 01:28 PM
\Anyone who actually knows the game is.

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 01:33 PM

Even I can see the difference in their running styles. Brown is OK waiting for the hole to materialize while Ahmad is running up against his own lineman

BuffyBlueII
10-29-2012, 01:39 PM

It is one of the reasons why his completion percentage is not as high as some other QBs. Eli Manning has to throw away a bit of balls to avoid sacks. Granted, our offensive line is better with the addition of Martellus Bennet and Henry Hynoski being used more as a blocker but it still sucks.

BuffyBlueII
10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
I believe this is a good observation. It appears often that AB picks the wrong direction to go when he's in the hole.

That is a problem with AB but one of the reasons why we stick with him so much is because he is a great blocker for pass protection.

Rusty192
10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Bradshaw confuses the heck out of me. Besides the redskin game he has sucked in division games, but has been very good otherwise.

I say we start Brown against NFC East opponents from now on lol

Kruunch
10-29-2012, 01:43 PM

A little from column A, a bit from column B.

But if you watch Eli under pressure (and there's plenty of it ... hence the not so shiny oline), his awareness is uncanny. What are sacks for the Jets, are at worst, incompletions for us (generally speaking).

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 01:46 PM
huge difference between run blocking and pass blocking

Giants run blocking has not been anything to write home about ....be it a man up surge or a traveling zone scheme

on the other hand they look quite good pass blocking most of the time....and Eli does a great job avoiding pressure and buying time

And is more comfortable throwing it away now than he used to be

gumby74
10-29-2012, 02:06 PM
chuck and duck baby.

baywest
10-29-2012, 02:16 PM
We have a short memory. The first game against Dallas Eli was Sacked five times. Yesterday NO SACKS. Why ? Because the O/L has been better with Beatty at left tackle and Locklear at Right.

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 02:18 PM
We have a short memory. The first game against Dallas Eli was Sacked five times. Yesterday NO SACKS. Why ? Because the O/L has been better with Beatty at left tackle and Locklear at Right.

No question that's true

G-MANning4Life
10-29-2012, 02:33 PM
And is more comfortable throwing it away now than he used to be
Yup. I remember just a few seasons back he would try to force a pass under a lot of pressure when he was on the cusp of getting sacked. It resulted in lot of interceptions. That was the 2010 season. I'll take a throw away ball before an interception any day.

Harooni
10-29-2012, 03:00 PM
the truth is Eli does not like to take hits he shys away from contact so he would rather toss it up and take a chance vs getting sacked. sometimes it works sometimes its an int. but credit does have to go to him for getting the ball out fast.

Rusty192
10-29-2012, 03:15 PM
the truth is Eli does not like to take hits he shys away from contact so he would rather toss it up and take a chance vs getting sacked. sometimes it works sometimes its an int..When was the last time he did that?

Do you think any QB in the NFL likes contact? Would you like if 300+ lb. linemen were barreling down on you ready to break you in half?

JB456
10-29-2012, 03:56 PM
The OL is signifncantly better this season than they were last. Yet Eli rarely got sacked last season either. Eli absolutely is one of the best at moving inside the pocket.

Eli is awsome at avoiding the Sack these days and even though he wasn't sacked yesterday it just seemed that he was under pressure a great deal of the time and rushing throws. Can someone clue me into a website that shows QB pressures or post how many pressures Eli took yesterday?

oldgiantfan
10-29-2012, 04:05 PM
Because the OLine knows he's the franchise and none of them want to be the one that let his guy through and injures Manning. LOL

BParcells777
10-29-2012, 04:36 PM
That is a problem with AB but one of the reasons why we stick with him so much is because he is a great blocker for pass protection.

I'm really getting sick of hearing about Bradshaws blocking abililty.........ok he can block

So can Andre Brown, and he can also RUN

BuffyBlueII
10-29-2012, 04:42 PM
the truth is Eli does not like to take hits he shys away from contact so he would rather toss it up and take a chance vs getting sacked. sometimes it works sometimes its an int. but credit does have to go to him for getting the ball out fast.

I don’t think anyone likes to get hit but there isn’t a QB in NFL that can hang in pocket the way Eli Manning does. If anything, I think he used to try and force it more because he always wanted to make something happen and he threw more picks. He makes better decisions now.

Unlike folks like Drew Brees and Aaron Rodgers, Eli Manning appears not to give a damn about his stats and will throw the ball away a heck of a lot more than those guys.

burier
10-30-2012, 10:33 AM

Eli doesn't take a lot of sacks. Never has even when the Oline has been putrid.

And pass blocking and run blocking are two different things. Our line can't move anyone on consistent basis resulting in a poor rush attack.

bELIeve_in_Giants
10-30-2012, 10:46 AM
Peyton and Eli are both good at avoiding hits and thus avoiding injury.

Rudyy
10-30-2012, 10:49 AM
I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that after Eli releases the ball, he turns his body to shield himself from vicious hits that may cause injury.

Drez
10-30-2012, 11:44 AM
Eli was sacked 3 times that game, not 5. Also, he was sacked by Ware on Sunday.

Yes, the OL is playing better, but Eli is probably the best QB in the league at avoiding sacks for the reasons mentioned earlier in this thread.