PDA

View Full Version : NFL Says No Issues With Clock Operation At The End Of Giants-Cowboys Game

RoanokeFan
10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/nfl_says_no_issues_with_clock.html

Excerpt: "Giants coach Tom Coughlin and co-owner John Mara raised some eyebrows after Sunday's 29-24 win when they expressed surprise that the Cowboys were able to run three plays in the game's final 10 seconds.

Neither went so far as to allege the Cowboys got a hometown advantage from the clock operator, but Coughlin and Mara both used the word "incredible" to describe Dallas' ability to get three plays off in that time frame.

An NFL spokesman said this morning "there were no issues with the clock." So that means case closed.

"I must say that, itís been a long time since I saw three plays in 10 seconds," Coughlin said after the game. "That was an incredible thing that happened there. We thought it was over with the high ball over the middle, and we look up, and the thing is stuck on one." Read more...

GMenOnDeck
10-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Of course they do same Spokesman who tried to argue Seattle Dual possession vs Green Bay

Eliscruzzz
10-29-2012, 02:28 PM
Of course they do same Spokesman who tried to argue Seattle Dual possession vs Green BayLMAO

RagTime Blue
10-29-2012, 02:39 PM
NHL and NBA show 1/10ths of seconds in the final minutes of periods. Why is the NFL 15 years behind?

Will it take a major incident in a playoff game??

G-MANning4Life
10-29-2012, 02:45 PM
I know I thought the game was over. I'm sure they gave that extra second.

Joe Morrison
10-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Lately the only one with clock issues is TC, game management has be questionable to put it mildly the past 3 weeks.

Husky
10-29-2012, 03:09 PM

Excerpt: "Giants coach Tom Coughlin and co-owner John Mara raised some eyebrows after Sunday's 29-24 win when they expressed surprise that the Cowboys were able to run three plays in the game's final 10 seconds.

Neither went so far as to allege the Cowboys got a hometown advantage from the clock operator, but Coughlin and Mara both used the word "incredible" to describe Dallas' ability to get three plays off in that time frame.

An NFL spokesman said this morning "there were no issues with the clock." So that means case closed.

"I must say that, itís been a long time since I saw three plays in 10 seconds," Coughlin said after the game. "That was an incredible thing that happened there. We thought it was over with the high ball over the middle, and we look up, and the thing is stuck on one." Read more...

After the near TD, the field clock ticked off another 4 seconds after Bryant landed. That operator was looking to job the Giants out of a few seconds when they got the ball back. The official time keeper put the time back. Periera said it was the correct thing to do.

ReiRiza
10-29-2012, 06:52 PM
Supposedly, on PFT many fans (Giants and other teams fans) have said that twice in the last 10 seconds they saw the ball snapped and in Romo's hands, but the clock didn't start ticking for another 2 seconds. Conspiracy? Lol

CuseGirl
10-29-2012, 06:54 PM
Is that the same spokesperson who said Greg Jennings was down by contact even though he clearly fumbled the ball and the original call on the field was overturned by the referee without a Green Bay challenge (NFC Divisional game against the Giants)?

I could care less what the league says.

Supposedly, on PFT many fans (Giants and other teams fans) have said that twice in the last 10 seconds they saw the ball snapped and in Romo's hands, but the clock didn't start ticking for another 2 seconds. Conspiracy? LolBoth plays, the completion to Witten at the sideline and the incomplete pass to Austin, Romo snaps the ball and the clock doesn't start moving until he's dropped back 5 yards....

Captain Chaos
10-29-2012, 07:02 PM
No one is showing the evidence that the Clock was running as it should have, are they hiding something?

DragonSoul
10-29-2012, 07:08 PM
Wasnt it four plays? I was surprised as well. But what people also didnt mention, is that they added 4 seconds (not sure if it was correct) after the Dez bryant catch was no good. Cause I recall saying that we got nothing w/6 seconds besides a possible return.

BlueSanta
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
After the near TD, the field clock ticked off another 4 seconds after Bryant landed. That operator was looking to job the Giants out of a few seconds when they got the ball back. The official time keeper put the time back. Periera said it was the correct thing to do.

that is also not relevant to this topic since this topic is about what happened after that play. They put it back to 10 secs, no prob there. Then the Boys ran 3 plays in 10 seconds. I do agree, running 3 plays in 10 seconds is somewhat incredible considering 2 of the 3 plays were 20+ yard plays.

Husky
10-29-2012, 07:42 PM
that is also not relevant to this topic since this topic is about what happened after that play. They put it back to 10 secs, no prob there. Then the Boys ran 3 plays in 10 seconds. I do agree, running 3 plays in 10 seconds is somewhat incredible considering 2 of the 3 plays were 20+ yard plays.

OK, I thought the thread as about, "NFL Says No Issues With Clock Operation At The End Of Giants-Cowboys Game ". I thought a time discrepansy @ 10 secs was close enough to the end of the game to qualify.

Cool Papa B.
10-29-2012, 07:49 PM
Lately the only one with clock issues is TC, game management has be questionable to put it mildly the past 3 weeks.

+1.....

Gotta know how to close out a game.

rainierjef
10-29-2012, 08:19 PM
smfh

jomo
10-29-2012, 08:58 PM

"I must say that, itís been a long time since I saw three plays in 10 seconds," Coughlin said after the game. "That was an incredible thing that happened there. We thought it was over with the high ball over the middle, and we look up, and the thing is stuck on one." Read more...The league can say what they want but that doesn't make it true. I still want an answer regarding a play earlier in the 4th Q where Romo took a 5 step drop, threw an 8 yard out pattern to Witten who caught it, ran another 5-10 yards and went out of bounds..............and all of that happened in 3 seconds. A 5 step drop takes at least 2 seconds all by itself. Then there is the ball flight and the run after catch. The league office is a joke.

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:11 PM
Wasnt it four plays? I was surprised as well. But what people also didnt mention, is that they added 4 seconds (not sure if it was correct) after the Dez bryant catch was no good. Cause I recall saying that we got nothing w/6 seconds besides a possible return.no that was right to put the 4 seconds back on. When Dez landed the clock was on 10 seconds. Then an additional 4 seconds ticked off. Prob because the time keeper was celebrating up in the booth and forgot to stop it. Lol

Oh and it was just 3 plays not 4

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:14 PM
After the near TD, the field clock ticked off another 4 seconds after Bryant landed. That operator was looking to job the Giants out of a few seconds when they got the ball back. The official time keeper put the time back. Periera said it was the correct thing to do.nah, prob just was celebrating up there in booth

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:16 PM
that is also not relevant to this topic since this topic is about what happened after that play. They put it back to 10 secs, no prob there. Then the Boys ran 3 plays in 10 seconds. I do agree, running 3 plays in 10 seconds is somewhat incredible considering 2 of the 3 plays were 20+ yard plays.well the last 20 yard play was snapped with 1 second so that doesn't count

miked1958
10-29-2012, 09:18 PM
Is that the same spokesperson who said Greg Jennings was down by contact even though he clearly fumbled the ball and the original call on the field was overturned by the referee without a Green Bay challenge (NFC Divisional game against the Giants)?I could care less what the league says.Both plays, the completion to Witten at the sideline and the incomplete pass to Austin, Romo snaps the ball and the clock doesn't start moving until he's dropped back 5 yards....i noticed that to. Also they say on a shot gun it shouldn't start till QB gets ball cause he is not under center. Hmm

Astorian
10-29-2012, 09:22 PM
The league can say what they want but that doesn't make it true. I still want an answer regarding a play earlier in the 4th Q where Romo took a 5 step drop, threw an 8 yard out pattern to Witten who caught it, ran another 5-10 yards and went out of bounds..............and all of that happened in 3 seconds. A 5 step drop takes at least 2 seconds all by itself. Then there is the ball flight and the run after catch. The league office is a joke.

Right. That one left me speechless. It seems to me that there were a couple of other plays involving Witten that took no time at all. Just goes to show that Witten is even faster than he looks, I guess.

BlueSanta
10-29-2012, 11:01 PM
OK, I thought the thread as about, "NFL Says No Issues With Clock Operation At The End Of Giants-Cowboys Game ". I thought a time discrepansy @ 10 secs was close enough to the end of the game to qualify.

yeah the thread title does say that, and Im not trying to be a smartass, but, if you read the article it states the controversy and the issue that Coughlin had was with the fact that the Boys were able to get 3 plays off in the final 10 secs. I ama Giant fan, so I am obviously biased, but anyone who has the game taped can run a stopwatch themselves and see there is an issue. So, while the NFL might be saying "move along nothing to see here" I have no doubts they are secretly sending a memo out saying "cut it out."

CowboysSuck
10-29-2012, 11:03 PM
i agree it was BS, but for concreteness does anyone have a video? .gif? anything?

bELIeve_in_Giants
10-29-2012, 11:04 PM
Seems odd that clock operators are hired by the team and not the league.

BlueOldSchool
10-29-2012, 11:54 PM
Not only was the clock an issue, but isn't it odd that after the Ware penalty in the first half, Dallas didn't commit one penalty until the final minutes of the game. Yet they called such cheap stuff on our defense. Pathetic in Dallas!

mike kennedy
10-30-2012, 01:41 AM
NHL and NBA show 1/10ths of seconds in the final minutes of periods. Why is the NFL 15 years behind?

Because then there would of been 4 plays.

giantsfam04
10-30-2012, 06:46 AM
I watched the reply on highlights several times and didn't see any issue with the clock operator. I think Dallas did an excellent job with the time they had, something we have struggled to do ourselves maybe its sour grapes.

DragonSoul
10-30-2012, 03:22 PM
no that was right to put the 4 seconds back on. When Dez landed the clock was on 10 seconds. Then an additional 4 seconds ticked off. Prob because the time keeper was celebrating up in the booth and forgot to stop it. Lol

Oh and it was just 3 plays not 4Thanks. Figured the 4 secs back were legit, and was so annoyed I wasnt paying as much attention as it was a blur to me, but I definitely felt like they definitely seemed to have a lot longer than 10 seconds, but was too busy watching the game and *****ing lol.

DragonSoul
10-30-2012, 03:25 PM
Not only was the clock an issue, but isn't it odd that after the Ware penalty in the first half, Dallas didn't commit one penalty until the final minutes of the game. Yet they called such cheap stuff on our defense. Pathetic in Dallas!I have always brought it up, how our defensive line never gets held, yet our offensive line always holds scrubs (obviously ware, ratliff arent scrubs and they have a formidable front, but referring to others)

But if you watched the replacement refs talk on showtime, they told you that the giants are being held basically on every play and its not called. ITS BS!!! Get ride of the rules or freaking enforce them, not go by, hey lets flip a coin.

Eliscruzzz
10-30-2012, 03:36 PM
I watched the reply on highlights several times and didn't see any issue with the clock operator. I think Dallas did an excellent job with the time they had, something we have struggled to do ourselves maybe its sour grapes.in the final 10 seconds you didn't find it odd that Romo dropped back ran around and threw a 20 yard pass in 5 seconds to Austin and still had 1 second left. Or the fact that the clock start 2 seconds after the ball was hiked??

tcseacliff
10-30-2012, 03:43 PM

yeah- when the Cowboys miss a win for Play offs or Super bowl by mere seconds! Jerry will be on it!

pino
10-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Now we can move on to next week. Im sure most of us have already.

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 05:25 PM
yeah- when the Cowboys miss a win for Play offs or Super bowl by mere seconds! Jerry will be on it!

It's like the replacement officials issue. It took a major injustice and embarrassment of the league before anything was done.