PDA

View Full Version : Eli is being held back.

gfanblue
10-30-2012, 02:10 AM
O.K. I have been a Giants fan for over 20 years. And I must say I think Eli is being held back in this offense. How many times have we seen his Brother yell at guys to stay on the sideline when the coach clearly called something else and it worked. Eli's is very smart and studies like nobody else to be great. And I think if given the opportunity to call his own plays , well, let's just say with this teams overall talent, you'd never see anything else like it. Im not making a Eli v Peyton thread so shut up if you have any thoughts on that. I'm only saying I think he has all the tools to run this offense like he sees fit and put up huge numbers. His post game comments seem to support this theory. "settling for field goals" is something we hear way too much.

Mohann
10-30-2012, 02:21 AM
This is going to be ugly, I'm out.

drewz
10-30-2012, 02:21 AM
What? Gilbride gives Eli a set of plays and Eli is free to change and audible at the line of scrimmage.

G.I. Ants
10-30-2012, 03:32 AM
are you kidding me, how the hell is Eli being held back. He commands the offense because he has been given full freedom from the coaches. Bradshaw was having a Pinky the Cat moment last week because Eli decided to pass instead of run.

dave56dj
10-30-2012, 05:01 AM
You can't mention what peyton does and then say how come eli doesnt do this as well - there is one simple reason - these are two different men. Eli is simply not as boisterous - he leads in a much different way. Calling your own plays doesn't automatically make you better - that and eli can make all the checks and audibles he likes - and often does. Seems like you just want the pomp and frills of him running a no huddle and yelling out plays like peyton does - just not sure why as eli is thriving and so is the offense.

giantsfam04
10-30-2012, 06:20 AM
2 superbowls in 4 years and 2 mvps, how is that being held back? last time I checked Peyton doesn't have that.

Captain Chaos
10-30-2012, 07:25 AM
I think this misses the mark.... Gilbride gives him leeway, I'm sure they can draw up something new if they see it!

gfanblue
10-30-2012, 09:05 AM
I guess. You guys make good points. I just felt like he could be even better if he ran the offense. Every qb audibles and changes plays, nothing special there. I mean most people think Killdrive isn't good one week then brilliant because they've won two superbowls together. I don't know. I just drove from Charlotte to Memphis and made that post. I was tired......

RoanokeFan
10-30-2012, 09:15 AM
O.K. I have been a Giants fan for over 20 years. And I must say I think Eli is being held back in this offense. How many times have we seen his Brother yell at guys to stay on the sideline when the coach clearly called something else and it worked. Eli's is very smart and studies like nobody else to be great. And I think if given the opportunity to call his own plays , well, let's just say with this teams overall talent, you'd never see anything else like it. Im not making a Eli v Peyton thread so shut up if you have any thoughts on that. I'm only saying I think he has all the tools to run this offense like he sees fit and put up huge numbers. His post game comments seem to support this theory. "settling for field goals" is something we hear way too much.

Unbelievable

GCGiant
10-30-2012, 09:52 AM
I will concede that the play calling seems to get too conservative in the red zone. I was hollering about them insisting upon establishing the run. I wouldn't have minded if they were ripping off chunks like we were getting from Brown, but for whatever reason it isn't happening with ABI.

I will also concede that I don't know who is making these calls. I'm pretty sure that a play or 2 is sent in, but whether Eli is making the final decision or just sticking with the play called is the grey area for me. I would tend to believe that ultimately Eli is making the decision.

MrDenmark
10-30-2012, 10:30 AM

I'm in line with this. I think there is too much of a difference in how the plays are called in the beginning of the game and at the end. Eli is looking way better in the 4th quarter, and I see two reasons for it:

1. Eli/Gilbride learns how the opposing defense is and exploits it.

2. The play calling is way to conservative in the beginning of the game. I wouldn't mind seeing more punts and more touchdowns. We are getting 3 points a lot, but like Dallas, it does win the game early. Mix it up!

gfanblue
10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
I will concede that the play calling seems to get too conservative in the red zone. I was hollering about them insisting upon establishing the run. I wouldn't have minded if they were ripping off chunks like we were getting from Brown, but for whatever reason it isn't happening with ABI.

I will also concede that I don't know who is making these calls. I'm pretty sure that a play or 2 is sent in, but whether Eli is making the final decision or just sticking with the play called is the grey area for me. I would tend to believe that ultimately Eli is making the decision.Obviously he calls what's best. The majority of comments seem to agree. I kinda believe KG is slowing him down. When you have a 23-0 lead step on their throat and don't let off. Where was Barden ? Did he play? I was out of town so had to TiVo. The fact that the other two backs are ripping off bigger chunks of yardage with no carries would say they are more effective. My comment wasn't a be-all-end-all summation of Eli and his 9 seasons as a giant, no, it was an individual's observation that i am entitled to and think if Eli was running the offense even 25% of the time not merely audibling at the line this team would be unreal. I wasn't knocking Eli's success or anything. I just think he's got more skill than we've seen.

GCGiant
10-30-2012, 10:54 AM
Obviously he calls what's best. The majority of comments seem to agree. I kinda believe KG is slowing him down. When you have a 23-0 lead step on their throat and don't let off. Where was Barden ? Did he play? I was out of town so had to TiVo. The fact that the other two backs are ripping off bigger chunks of yardage with no carries would say they are more effective. My comment wasn't a be-all-end-all summation of Eli and his 9 seasons as a giant, no, it was an individual's observation that i am entitled to and think if Eli was running the offense even 25% of the time not merely audibling at the line this team would be unreal. I wasn't knocking Eli's success or anything. I just think he's got more skill than we've seen.

Well...I thought I was more agreeing than not, but just to set the record straight...I do believe that Eli has choices, but those choices may be between a run or a pass play. However, the plays he has to select from may be coming from KG...which would support what you are saying.

Just to be sure, I have often wondered the same thing.

gfanblue
10-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Well...I thought I was more agreeing than not, but just to set the record straight...I do believe that Eli has choices, but those choices may be between a run or a pass play. However, the plays he has to select from may be coming from KG...which would support what you are saying.

Just to be sure, I have often wondered the same thing.Thanks. It's nice to be able to post and have one guy not make you feel like you've been gang raped in Rykers.

clawwolf
10-30-2012, 11:16 AM
This is sad, all these knee jerk reactions on this board, we are 6 AND 2 BY THE WAY, not 2 AND 6.

burier
10-30-2012, 11:18 AM
I don't think Kevin Gilbride is a good redzone playcaller and I don't think he ever has been or ever will be. Luckily we are able to get yards in chucks most sundays. No big deal.

FBomb
10-30-2012, 11:21 AM
Thanks. It's nice to be able to post and have one guy not make you feel like you've been gang raped in Rykers.

This is where I come in!!:p

I think blaming KG for Coughlin's philosophy for getting conservative is wrong. It has always been a pet peeve of mine with our HC. This offense has no idea how to play with a big lead.....never has.

Rudyy
10-30-2012, 11:23 AM
The only way we can play with a big lead is to be consistent on offense and NOT BE SO PREDICTABLE.

FBomb
10-30-2012, 11:25 AM
The only way we can play with a big lead is to be consistent on offense and NOT BE SO PREDICTABLE.

Just stay aggressive. People are afraid of turning the ball over but constantly going 3 and out isn't much better.

Rudyy
10-30-2012, 11:26 AM
Just stay aggressive. People are afraid of turning the ball over but constantly going 3 and out isn't much better.I just feel like Gilbride stands there and says "Oh, that was a nice play..LET'S DO IT 15 MORE TIMES!"

gfanblue
10-30-2012, 04:43 PM
This is sad, all these knee jerk reactions on this board, we are 6 AND 2 BY THE WAY, not 2 AND 6.
No knee jerk. If you read the post I'm saying as a fan o feel his potential could be higher. He obviously knows his position. I would like to see him run a whole series alone w/o KG in his ear is all. Yes 6-2 is good.

Eliscruzzz
10-30-2012, 04:58 PM
No knee jerk. If you read the post I'm saying as a fan o feel his potential could be higher. He obviously knows his position. I would like to see him run a whole series alone w/o KG in his ear is all. Yes 6-2 is good.I agree man there is no reason why Eli shouldn't have more td's. Kg gets to conservative in the redzone and it makes me sick. When you run on 1st and 2nd down you are also doing a disservice to Eli and the wr's. Need a better mix up of plays...whoever is calling plays. I'm not saying we need to go five for five in the redzone but there is no reason not to get at least 3. Especially with all these weapons. Where is Hynoski in the redzone? where is Bennett?where are the screens to Wilson? Like you said where is Barden and Randle. Sometimes we rely on Nicks and Cruz to much to make ridiculous plays and it is no going to happen all the time.

Gmen 802
10-30-2012, 05:42 PM
I just wish we would run the no huddle more often than just in the 2 minute drill, not solely like a lot of teams but at least pieces of a drive here or there. I mean Eli is clearly one of the best at it and it's proven that it puts a ton of pressure on defenses and wears them down. I just don't see a reason to not unleash it more often from time to time especially on defenses who on tape are worse at defending it than others. That's my main problem with this offense besides the red zone issues and Bradshaw basically NEVER hitting a hole the way he's supposed to and instead bouncing out to gain 2 if that. Just drives me nuts seeing run plays that could have at least gone for 3-4 if he'd just run north-south going for 1-2 or less. Drives me ballistic.