PDA

View Full Version : Replayed the game.....Dallas was getting about 2 seconds after each snap.

joemorrisforprez
10-30-2012, 12:41 PM
I DVR'd the game. During the final drive, it was very clear that the clock didn't start until 1 second after the snap.

Replaying the game, I got to "2-mississippi" before 1 second came off the game clock following each snap.

I suggest people check it out themselves.......very sneaky.

primetime
10-30-2012, 12:48 PM
Tom Coughlin brought up a good point. How do you run 3 plays in under 10 seconds?

ashleymarie
10-30-2012, 12:51 PM
I already checked it when I got home. Taped the game. But we noticed the slowness of the clock while sitting in the stands. It was far more noticeable than the NFL said. jmo

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 12:52 PM
The NFL needs to follow the lead of NBA and NHL, and in the final minute of a period, show the time down to the 1/10th of a second.

This is the perfect opportunity for the NFL to act. That is, before a playoff fiasco.

Black
10-30-2012, 01:04 PM
I DVR'd the game. During the final drive, it was very clear that the clock didn't start until 1 second after the snap.

Replaying the game, I got to "2-mississippi" before 1 second came off the game clock following each snap.

should upload a video to youtube!

I'm sure many people, like myself, were completely unaware of it.

BParcells777
10-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Neither Fox nor the NFL wanted us to win that game........you guys who complained about the replacement refs should be ashamed of yourselves.......these crooks are back in full swing pandering to Las Vegas and "America's Team" our WR's were being blatantly held all day........on the opposite we were being called for contact "within" the 5 yd buffer all day long.....one of them negating Tuck's sack

The spot on Bradshaws 3rd down run was off by 18 inches...........the last giant punt was re positioned 20 yds upfield for the Cowboys

Thank God we hae Stevie Brown to counter all this nonsense.

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 01:50 PM
What exactly happened will be difficult to prove, but the remedy for the future is simple. It has nothing to do with putting the right person in charge of keeping time. It has everything to do with keeping that person accountable by knowing exactly when time is started and stopped, and if time is started and stopped several times during a play.

Practically speaking, show the fractions of a second so we know when time is started and stopped. This will also help correct honest errors after the play.

joemorrisforprez
10-30-2012, 01:53 PM
What exactly happened will be difficult to prove, but the remedy for the future is simple. It has nothing to do with putting the right person in charge of keeping time. It has everything to do with keeping that person accountable by knowing exactly when time is started and stopped, and if time is started and stopped several times during a play.

Practically speaking, show the fractions of a second so we know when time is started and stopped. This will also help correct honest errors after the play.

It was definitely very subtle.....but I replayed it, and you can tell that they didn't start the clock until Romo had the ball in his hands and was moving his feet....I'm guessing the clock started about 1 second after the snap.

stormblue
10-30-2012, 01:57 PM
why is it so hard to believe.....just before that -
we ran 3 running plays AND punted in 23 seconds. (LOL)

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 01:59 PM
It was definitely very subtle.....but I replayed it, and you can tell that they didn't start the clock until Romo had the ball in his hands and was moving his feet....I'm guessing the clock started about 1 second after the snap.

I believe you, and it should be a wake-up call to the NFL. I'm less concerned with punishing people than I am about getting it right next time, and improving the quality of the game.

It's unfortunate that the NFL lags 15 years behind NBA and NHL with this issue.

johnson
10-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Tom Coughlin brought up a good point. How do you run 3 plays in under 10 seconds?

To be perfectly honest, looking at it as 3 plays in 10 seconds is a little bit of a distorted view. It was really two plays in 9 seconds, and then third is run with 1 second left. It is reasonable to think that you could run 2 plays in 9 seconds being that the average snap to release for normal plays is somewhere in the range of 2.5 seconds. Plus, the pass to Witten on the sidelines was a quick pass play that was probably released in 2 seconds or under, which would allot 5 seconds or so for the play to Austin.

Now I haven't re-watched the game at all, and it very well could be that they were given an extra second, but just looking at it objectively its not like its impossible to run 3 plays.

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 02:11 PM
To be perfectly honest, looking at it as 3 plays in 10 seconds is a little bit of a distorted view. It was really two plays in 9 seconds, and then third is run with 1 second left. It is reasonable to think that you could run 2 plays in 9 seconds being that the average snap to release for normal plays is somewhere in the range of 2.5 seconds. Plus, the pass to Witten on the sidelines was a quick pass play that was probably released in 2 seconds or under, which would allot 5 seconds or so for the play to Austin.

Now I haven't re-watched the game at all, and it very well could be that they were given an extra second, but just looking at it objectively its not like its impossible to run 3 plays.

Good point. That last play, the clock was on zero, and could've taken all day if needed. But suspicion of time keepers will continue until we know for sure whether the clock is running or not, and watching whole seconds tick off does not do that.

In theory, the timekeeper may have stopped and re-started the clock several times during each of the last 3 plays. . .or even before that.

The fact that they had to add four seconds to the clock might mean the operator lost track of whether he had the switch "on" or "off", having switched it many times during the play. Coincidence??? Maybe.

If the league wants to show clean hands, they have to adopt a fractional-second clock.

Faded Blue
10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
The NFL needs to follow the lead of NBA and NHL, and in the final minute of a period, show the time down to the 1/10th of a second.

This is the perfect opportunity for the NFL to act. That is, before a playoff fiasco.

Unlike the NBA or NHL, where play is continuous until the time runs out to end the period/game, in the NFL, if a play starts before the end of a period, it continues until the ball is blown dead regardless of how long that play takes. Therefore, absolutely no need for showing time in finer increments than full seconds.

scoostraw
10-30-2012, 02:40 PM
What about the rest of the game? Was this being done consistently throughout? And what about when the Giants had the ball?

You guys who DVR'd it could check this out.

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 05:21 PM
Unlike the NBA or NHL, where play is continuous until the time runs out to end the period/game, in the NFL, if a play starts before the end of a period, it continues until the ball is blown dead regardless of how long that play takes. Therefore, absolutely no need for showing time in finer increments than full seconds.

I understand your point about the last play of a game or period.

But some seem to think that the clock was not started when play began. . .on the plays PRECEDING the final one. Such behavior could potentially allow for an additional play (or more).

I suspect the timekeeper may have even stopped and started the clock several times during a single play (not nec. the final play of the game).

With finer increments, such chicanery would be impossible.

rtr1105
10-30-2012, 05:44 PM
Neither Fox nor the NFL wanted us to win that game........you guys who complained about the replacement refs should be ashamed of yourselves.......these crooks are back in full swing pandering to Las Vegas and "America's Team" our WR's were being blatantly held all day........on the opposite we were being called for contact "within" the 5 yd buffer all day long.....one of them negating Tuck's sack

The spot on Bradshaws 3rd down run was off by 18 inches...........the last giant punt was re positioned 20 yds upfield for the Cowboys

Thank God we hae Stevie Brown to counter all this nonsense.

I wouldn't go as far to say that the whole thing is a conspiracy against us, but the NFL definitely needs to use timekeepers hired by them, not the home teams.

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 06:21 PM
I wouldn't go as far to say that the whole thing is a conspiracy against us, but the NFL definitely needs to use timekeepers hired by them, not the home teams.

It wouldn't matter who was keeping time, if the clocks showed fractions of seconds, the way they do in NBA and NHL. Any mistakes (dubious or innocent) could be corrected accurately and easily using instant replay.

I don't see any negative side effects from doing such.

EliDaMANning
10-30-2012, 06:32 PM
Neither Fox nor the NFL wanted us to win that game........you guys who complained about the replacement refs should be ashamed of yourselves.......these crooks are back in full swing pandering to Las Vegas and "America's Team" our WR's were being blatantly held all day........on the opposite we were being called for contact "within" the 5 yd buffer all day long.....one of them negating Tuck's sackThe spot on Bradshaws 3rd down run was off by 18 inches...........the last giant punt was re positioned 20 yds upfield for the CowboysThank God we hae Stevie Brown to counter all this nonsense. I made a thread saying we won't see much difference between the replacements and these bias refs with some bogus calls/non calls. At least the replacements wanted to succeed. These clowns take their job for granted.

Rusty192
10-30-2012, 06:41 PM
I saw it happen with Dallas and I went and checked to when we had the ball:

For our plays it looked like the clock also stayed on the first second longer.

It seemed like the same scenario for both teams tbh. Just a slow clock I guess.

Manning
10-30-2012, 06:58 PM
What the hell is showing tenths of a second going to do? Are the refs gonna ensure each and every play was timed correctly down to the tenth of a second? This just complicates and slows the game down. Refs should be able to realize when the clock isn't being operated correctly with full seconds showing. NHL and NBA shows tenth of a second because play is stopped at 0.0. NFL continues with play once clock hits 0.

BuffyBlueII
10-30-2012, 07:03 PM
Granted, the clock did suck but we are the ones that squandered a 23-0 lead away and put the game in that position.

RagTime Blue
10-30-2012, 08:33 PM
What the hell is showing tenths of a second going to do? Are the refs gonna ensure each and every play was timed correctly down to the tenth of a second? This just complicates and slows the game down. Refs should be able to realize when the clock isn't being operated correctly with full seconds showing. NHL and NBA shows tenth of a second because play is stopped at 0.0. NFL continues with play once clock hits 0.

It has nothing to do with the final play of the game. It would ensure that the clock is started and stopped properly in the last minute. If you don't think that's important, then we disagree.

miked1958
10-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Neither Fox nor the NFL wanted us to win that game........you guys who complained about the replacement refs should be ashamed of yourselves.......these crooks are back in full swing pandering to Las Vegas and "America's Team" our WR's were being blatantly held all day........on the opposite we were being called for contact "within" the 5 yd buffer all day long.....one of them negating Tuck's sackThe spot on Bradshaws 3rd down run was off by 18 inches...........the last giant punt was re positioned 20 yds upfield for the CowboysThank God we hae Stevie Brown to counter all this nonsense.yep we were screaming on everything you mentioned. We were like where the heck you going when he marked the ball so far up. ABs run was weird. No mention by announcers, no replay and they just went right to the punt. Odd. The Hosley play was a key one as it wiped out a sack. Even deon sanders said Hosley played it perfect. Textbook defense he called it.

Parademon
10-30-2012, 10:59 PM
If we could have punched it in even 1 more time on all the RZ opportunities we had thanks to the D, or gotten a 1st down with 1:03 left in the game, we wouldn't have had to be worrying about the play clock or if Dez finger was out. I hate the Patriots, but the one thing they do better than any other team in the NFL, is once they have a double digit lead on an opponent, they continue attacking & pouring it on & running up the score till the opponent just knows that nothing they do will alter the outcome.

Right after every Giant int or fumble recovery, would it have hurt if they did a play action pass into the endzone or at least a seam route to one of the WRs. Instead they would run on 1st/ 2nd down, then predictably throw on 3rd. I knew settleing for 3s, would come back to haunt them later.

We should have been leading like 34-0, instead it was just 23-0. That gave Dallas hope that with almost 3 qts to play, they could mount a comeback. 30+ pts down, no way they would have even entertained that thought.

Giants better fix their red zone woes quick, cuz the last 8 games are gonna be brutal!

Harooni
10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
why is it so hard to believe.....just before that -
we ran 3 running plays AND punted in 23 seconds. (LOL)

yeah fans here are nuts with conspiracy theorys how everone hates the giants , like the announcers and espn and refs. now game clock guy ,and even as far as saying cruz is a double agent and throws games vs the boys.

giantfanatic
10-30-2012, 11:01 PM
I think it's bogus whenever they call the same "foul" on one team and not the other. The PI on Hosley was a great example. The block in the back on a kick return and the phantom hold on a first down running play that puts you at 1 and 20 are other examples. I maintain the end of the game is moot if the Tuck sack stands or the Bradshaw spot was reviewed. The league already has the Giants, but they want the cowboys - it's good for biz$ness.

Hessian
10-30-2012, 11:23 PM
The fact of the matter is that the Gmen were givin enough opportunities in this game for this to never happen. The game was over in the 1st if they aren't kickin field goals. At the very least is was a fun game to watch and has got to be demoralizing as hell for the cowboys. Oh and we're 6-2 :)

stormblue
10-30-2012, 11:34 PM
hey , we got a clock in the meadowlands too.
i betcha it does its best to make sure that Eli and Tynes
have an extra tick or two when it's needed for that final 4th qtr comeback drive.
at least i hope so .

rainierjef
10-31-2012, 12:47 AM
I saw it happen with Dallas and I went and checked to when we had the ball:

For our plays it looked like the clock also stayed on the first second longer.

It seemed like the same scenario for both teams tbh. Just a slow clock I guess.

This

cause I did the same thing, for shotgun plays and plays under center, and it was always a 1.7/10 of a second run off after the ball is snapped in the QB's hands before the clock started ticking. I say do the research before making these claims, its starting to sound like sour grapes.

BlueSanta
10-31-2012, 01:33 AM
yeah fans here are nuts with conspiracy theorys how everone hates the giants , like the announcers and espn and refs. now game clock guy ,and even as far as saying cruz is a double agent and throws games vs the boys.

I'd agree with you on most points. However, feel free to rewatch those last seconds and time for yourself. Besides, is TC a conspirator as well? Because he was the guy who initiated this topic.

Captain Chaos
10-31-2012, 05:13 AM
It was very suspect Romo had already taken the snap and taken a 5 stemp drop before the clock began to move. It just seemed wrong... And the Bradshaw spot was interesting as well, not sure what the refs saw.

Rusty192
10-31-2012, 03:11 PM
It was very suspect Romo had already taken the snap and taken a 5 stemp drop before the clock began to move. It just seemed wrong... And the Bradshaw spot was interesting as well, not sure what the refs saw.I would agree, but I saw the same thing happen with us when we had the ball.

Maybe Dallas was trying to make the clock slower for us so they could make a comeback. lol

dave56dj
10-31-2012, 03:14 PM
Dont bother uploading a video or wasting time watching DVR's - the official time is kept inside the stadium and to the 100th of a second by a league official - sometimes from the home state - that said the clock you see on the game can be wrong or if a bit. There were times the clock started slowly - but that is usually right based on the fact that by almost a whole second the clock can be off. The only questionable timing issue was the ball to austin - the clock stopped after it went of his hand and not when it hit the ground. Other then that it was pretty accurate.

giantsfan420
10-31-2012, 03:20 PM
Dallas got NINE plays in 44 seconds ! Hear collin cowherd, no power getting entertainment anyway possible lol, talking on his show and how he always makes fun of ppl who suggest these kinda things but this time theres a validity to it. NINE ****ING PLAYS?!? When we played philly we were worried with 18 sec left, must be nice to know that the laws of physics cease to exist in jerry world lol NINE friggin plays in 44 seconds smfh

bigblue58
10-31-2012, 03:58 PM

I've watched the replay 3 times now, and I noticed the very same thing you did.........and I still can't understand why the officials put 4 seconds back on the clock?? There was no penalty or circumstance that I could see that justified doing that.
I was on the phone with my brother for the entire 4th qtr and right before the TD pass that was overturned, me and my brother said, almost simultaneously....... "WHY ARE THESE LAST TEN SECONDS OF THE GAME TAKING SO LONG TO TICK OFF?" Because it seemed like time was standing still and the game was taking forever to end!

joemorrisforprez
10-31-2012, 04:14 PM
Dont bother uploading a video or wasting time watching DVR's - the official time is kept inside the stadium and to the 100th of a second by a league official - sometimes from the home state - that said the clock you see on the game can be wrong or if a bit. There were times the clock started slowly - but that is usually right based on the fact that by almost a whole second the clock can be off. The only questionable timing issue was the ball to austin - the clock stopped after it went of his hand and not when it hit the ground. Other then that it was pretty accurate.

I'm not trying to make a conspiracy theory out of this.....I only stopped to recheck after both Mara and Coughlin commented on it.

Regardless of who was working the clock, the ball was snapped and Romo was already back to pass before the 1st second came off the clock.

rainierjef
10-31-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm not trying to make a conspiracy theory out of this.....I only stopped to recheck after both Mara and Coughlin commented on it.

Regardless of who was working the clock, the ball was snapped and Romo was already back to pass before the 1st second came off the clock.

that goes for us as well, time our plays as well.