PDA

View Full Version : Fill-In Stevie Brown "Doing My Job" And Creating Big Plays For Giants

RoanokeFan
10-31-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/10/fill-in_stevie_brown_doing_my.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "Stevie Brown has made his head coach "the greatest cheerleader in the world."

Tom Coughlin is not always one to gush. But Brown's performance in the Giants' 29-24 win against the Cowboys Sunday earned its due. The fill-in safety, who has started the past four games for the Giants, delivered three of his team's six takeaways.

And let us know if you predicted that, eight weeks into the NFL season, the special-teams guy and castoff of three other NFL teams would lead the league with seven takeaways (five interceptions and two fumble recoveries).

"It means I'm doing my job," said Brown, who this morning was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week. "It's not something I'm too satisfied with."

By doing his job, Brown has helped the Giants to a 6-2 record at the midway point of the season. While the Giants pass defense needs to tighten up after surrendering 437 yards in the air to the Cowboys, Brown has been a ball-hawking presence that has helped offset the absence of Kenny Phillips to an MCL sprain.

It's a far cry from the last time Phillips was out of the lineup, when he suffered a season-ending knee injury in the 2009 season and the defense suddenly sprung a leak.

C.C. Brown and Aaron Rouse were sub-par fill-ins, but this time around, Stevie Brown has earned praise from his teammates and coaches.

"I would like to hope this could continue, because it's creating opportunities for us that are so difficult to get when it's simply on your own," Coughlin said. "He's been the guy who has been able to be on the spot and anticipate." Read more...

moosedrool
10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
Sorry Michael Irvin, but Stevie Brown is now "The Playmaker"

shane4177
10-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Stevie B is the man! Love this guy.....we need to find a way to keep him on the field even after KP returns. I know they are both SS but still if Rolle can't go for Sunday, we should consider playing KP and Brown together! Or use the 3 safety set VERY liberally!

BlueSanta
10-31-2012, 12:46 PM
This is a kid who , back in August everyone left off their 53 man roster predeictions. But, if you read the camp reports, he is a guy who everyone said was playing top notch football. I think between Will HIll and Brown, we have a good couple young safeties to work with going forward.