PDA

View Full Version : Half of Giants 2012 games rank in the Top 9 most watched TV shows of this Fall season

GreenZone
10-31-2012, 10:39 PM
The NFL is the hot TV property nowadays, with its primetime (including Sunday 2nd game spillover) dominating all of TVdom. Sunday's game vs. the Cowboys was the #2 watched show (and unparallelled in terms of drama, I might add).

The Superbowl champs have become quite an audience draw within the country, of course playing some top competition and with a number of primetime slots.

Here's the top 9 most watched NFL games this season, per TVByTheNumbers.com

Program Viewers
1. NBC Sunday Night Football (Steelers-Broncos), 9/9 27.6 million
2. FOX Sunday National (mostly Giants-Cowboys), 10/28 26.9 million
3. FOX Sunday National (mostly 49ers-Packers), 9/9 26.4 million
4. CBS Sunday National (mostly Broncos-Patriots), 10/7 24.5 million
5. CBS Sunday National (mostly Texans-Broncos), 9/23 24.0 million
6. NBC Wednesday Night Kickoff Game (Cowboys-Giants), 9/5 23.9 million
7. CBS Sunday National (mostly Jets-Patriots), 10/21 23.0 million
8. FOX Sunday National (mostly Giants-49ers), 10/14 22.8 million
9. NBC Sunday Night Football (Giants-Eagles), 9/30 22.8 million

Link to these numbers, with article (http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/10/31/nfl-game-ranks-as-most-watched-show-on-tv-for-eighth-consecutive-week/155616/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumb ers%29)

Cool Papa B.
10-31-2012, 10:55 PM
And they still haven't played Pittsburgh, Green Bay, Atlanta, and New Orleans.....

Geez, this schedule is hard.

Eliscruzzz
10-31-2012, 11:31 PM
Even though we lost the Eagles game, That was an insane game to me so much excitement just to get let down. It sucked afterwards but when the last drive was happening tell me that wasn't the most exciting last drive all year.

Captain Chaos
11-01-2012, 06:01 AM
I didn't know that .....Hmmmm!

Buddy333
11-01-2012, 06:06 AM
Their games have been down to the wire and they are New York market team. That's why it's a myth that the media hates them. They love them.

PETEY006
11-01-2012, 12:30 PM
not surprised. The population of the tri state area is 22 million!

GreenZone
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
The size of the New York market is not a huge factor in the NFL. The Jets lack of showing in the list at all is a case in point.

The matchups with top teams and the hype going into them is the overriding factor and the Giants ratings are equally as influenced by the Cowboys crowd in the two games. In previous recent years, my impression is that the Giants have underperformed ratings-wise as an American draw and wouldn't be surprised is this year's combined 8 game rating were the most watched Giants half season ever, but couldn't back that up.

Moke
11-01-2012, 08:24 PM
Quite obvious. Those are the best games of the season and everyone wants to tune into those games.

Overdrive92
11-02-2012, 02:05 AM
Geez. Giants vs. Cowboys has arguably become the NFL's biggest draw of the year. If we were ever to play each other in the NFC Championship Game, ratings would explode.

stormblue
11-02-2012, 02:23 AM
the 4 o'clock games and the sunday night games are hand picked
specifically for these 2 time slots because that's when most people
are back home and settled in and the casual fans jump on board.

sunday night Browns vs Jaguars would outdraw 1:00 o'clock Giants vs Cowboys.

its the time slots and available audience......not the teams.

Overdrive92
11-02-2012, 02:36 AM
^You're right in saying that the NFL is so popular that even Jags vs. Browns would still get a good audience in a primetime slot.

But you're wrong is saying that the teams don't matter. Teams absolutely do matter. The NFL schedules its big games for the late afternoon and primetime slots because it knows that those are the teams most people want to see. Those are the games that will be the biggest draws.

Where's Bengals-Steelers on that list? That was a primetime game. Why didn't that make the list? Because the Bengals are not a team that draws a big audience. I'm sure it still had a lot of viewers, but you can't say that teams don't matter. You can't put Jags vs. Browns where the Giants vs. Cowboys game is and expect that it will draw the same audience. It won't. The Cowboys and Giants are 2 of the top 3 most popular NFL teams, and that plays a huge part.

stormblue
11-02-2012, 06:07 AM
i'm not saying all teams draw equally.....i'm saying the time slots have more to do with it
than the teams.....of course they influence each other relatively.
that Pittsburg/Cincy game did not make the top 9 but ;
despite the season-low ( for SNF), Steelers/Bengals was STILL the #1 rated primetime program of that
week on broadcast in ratings with almost 18 million viewers,
and was up against a baseball championship series game.