PDA

View Full Version : Diehl to start aginst Steelers

offingmoot
11-01-2012, 03:53 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_david_diehl_will_retake.html

Sean Locklear said he got the news Wednesday, from Giants offensive line coach Pat Flaherty: David Diehl will return to his starting right tackle job this week, and Locklear will return to jumbo tackle duty.

"He said, 'You're not being benched because of your play,' " Locklear said of his conversation with Flaherty. " 'Youíve been playing good; youíve done everything weíve asked. Itís jkst the guy canít lose his job from minor injury.' I kind of expected it, I just didnít know when it was going to happen. Heís been here 10 years, heís started virtually every game. So I understand where they are coming from."

Locklear said Diehl is taking all the reps with the first team, in preparation to start against the Steelers.

I do not like this at all!!!!

fansince69
11-01-2012, 03:55 PM
you would think this coaching staff would learn after the O'Hara Fiasco a couple years ago

Mistanihan
11-01-2012, 03:58 PM
When we can't run and Diehl gets beat, what will happen then? I appreciate everything DD has done for us over the years, but I think using him in situational moments and an extra blocker would be best for the team right now. Feelings should not matter at this point. Our Oline has looked pretty damn good this past month..

TheAnalyst
11-01-2012, 03:59 PM
Here we go again. Steelers have 12 sacks this year in 8 games. Lets see how many we give up. Diehl is not a good tackle anymore. He lost his first step. I don't get why we are now trying to fix something that isn't broke.

TheEnigma
11-01-2012, 04:00 PM
http://www.businessinsider.com/image/4fdb51aceab8eaa52a000021/kevin-garnett-angry-gif.gif

BigBlue wins
ugh..this is making me feel less secure about the game.

Sundown
Hate the move!! I almost hope the run game sucks and he gets beat so locklear can get his spot back. Terrible move!

Rusty192
11-01-2012, 04:01 PM
lol what a week to do it.

speedman
11-01-2012, 04:01 PM
This is rediculous. You play the people that give you the best chance to win and that is not Diehl at this point in his career.

TheEnigma
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
LaMarr Woodley and James Harrison must be stoked lol

Rudyy
11-01-2012, 04:02 PM
Why is everyone complaining? we are 6-2!!!!!!!!

Rusty192
11-01-2012, 04:04 PM
LaMarr Woodley will eat him for lunch. Can't wait....

BigBlue wins
11-01-2012, 04:04 PM
Why is everyone complaining? we are 6-2!!!!!!!!

aha! thats how you do red font

Marvelousmik
11-01-2012, 04:09 PM
fire gilbride

Mistanihan
11-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Dear David,

Don't suck this week

- The Fans.

Jahh
11-01-2012, 04:13 PM

Sean Locklear said he got the news Wednesday, from Giants offensive line coach Pat Flaherty: David Diehl will return to his starting right tackle job this week, and Locklear will return to jumbo tackle duty.

"He said, 'You're not being benched because of your play,' " Locklear said of his conversation with Flaherty. " 'Youíve been playing good; youíve done everything weíve asked. Itís jkst the guy canít lose his job from minor injury.' I kind of expected it, I just didnít know when it was going to happen. Heís been here 10 years, heís started virtually every game. So I understand where they are coming from."

Locklear said Diehl is taking all the reps with the first team, in preparation to start against the Steelers.

Can someone please tell me why we always go back to Diehl? WWWWWWWWWWWWWHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHY YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY???????????????

luni
Dear David,

Don't suck this week

- The Fans.

HATE THE MOVE. DAVID DEIHL YOU SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaFrenchy
Are you kidding me ? Enjoy your meal Woodley.
Locklear is WAY better than Diehl. Hope that I'm wrong or that the coaching staff will change his mind.

Jahh
11-01-2012, 04:15 PM
This will ensure that we go 1-8 in game nines under Coughlin.

Vark
11-01-2012, 04:17 PM
When we can't run and Diehl gets beat, what will happen then? I appreciate everything DD has done for us over the years, but I think using him in situational moments and an extra blocker would be best for the team right now. Feelings should not matter at this point. Our Oline has looked pretty damn good this past month..

100%

BigBlue wins
11-01-2012, 04:23 PM
I hope someone in the media asks why Diehl is starting.

repeatchamps
11-01-2012, 04:26 PM

Waste of a question. Easy answer for the coaches: "we like what we are seeing from him in pracitce."

Better question: What do you see from Diehl in practice that you are not seeing from Locklear that makes you think Diehl is the better option for starting at Right Tackle this week?

GiantWarfare
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM

http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/sp/image/1339/65/1339654528382.gif

moosedrool
11-01-2012, 04:51 PM
Locklear hasn't been playing that well the last three games, but it was much better than Diehl. Very disappointing news. Regardless, RT is a major need next offseason.

repeatchamps
11-01-2012, 04:52 PM
http://0-media-cdn.foolz.us/ffuuka/board/sp/image/1339/65/1339654528382.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkpzR5vVA9k

DragonSoul
11-01-2012, 04:57 PM
not happy, unless DD was injured for two years, he shouldnt be the starter. Very sad.

JayMas9
11-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Definitely not happy about this in any way, shape, or form.

Jahh
11-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Flaherty said in the Jenny Ventras article that a player can't lose your spot to minor injury. Like wtf, why not? He's been completely outplayed.

Eliscruzzz
11-01-2012, 05:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkpzR5vVA9kThat's incredible lol

Eliscruzzz
11-01-2012, 05:14 PM
This is just a bad move all around and wouldn't be surprised if Eli is on his backside at least 5 times this game.

BParcells777
11-01-2012, 05:18 PM
STUPID STUPID STUPID

Coughlin is behind this........in a lot of ways the guy is a boat anchor

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Gonna be very difficult for woodley to beat diehl as he will most likely be inactive.
The major difference in our offensive line has been Beatty holding down the left tackle spot - Locklear has been ok at RT but not graded out particularly well the last few weeks. Im not saying this is the right move but i put faith in coughlin and gilbride.

Nothing funnier then a fan saying coughlin is behind this as though thats a bad thing - cause as much as WE all know as posters Coughlin has shown repeatedly he knows 1000 times more - laughable that we pretend we are all knowing and coughlin is the boob - CMON.

Cloud57
11-01-2012, 05:25 PM
onto the 2nd half collapse..

BigBlue wins
11-01-2012, 05:26 PM
Let's hope the coaching staff sees something different this week and place DD there just for this week

JayMas9
11-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Flaherty said in the Jenny Ventras article that a player can't lose your spot to minor injury. Like wtf, why not? He's been completely outplayed.I agree with that. You know when you can lose your spot though? When you've been completely outplayed, which to me is this situation, much more so than the injury.

radar-ray
11-01-2012, 05:30 PM
O'Hara part two. Very disturbed by the short sightness of this move. DD needs to stay at Jumbo.

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 05:34 PM
Ugh if we collapse like last year that would be soooo sad - I HATE SUPERBOWLS WINS. UGH.

BParcells777
11-01-2012, 05:36 PM
Gonna be very difficult for woodley to beat diehl as he will most likely be inactive.
The major difference in our offensive line has been Beatty holding down the left tackle spot - Locklear has been ok at RT but not graded out particularly well the last few weeks. Im not saying this is the right move but i put faith in coughlin and gilbride.

Nothing funnier then a fan saying coughlin is behind this as though thats a bad thing - cause as much as WE all know as posters Coughlin has shown repeatedly he knows 1000 times more - laughable that we pretend we are all knowing and coughlin is the boob - CMON.

He is a boob........he did the same thing with a still injured O'hara 2 years ago, and cost us a season

Eliscruzzz
11-01-2012, 05:39 PM
I just find this disturbing, the offensive line gave up what 1 sack in the last 5 games?? Why mess with something that has been working. Just because Locklear had on bad game last Sundays against the Boys? Remember what happened with DD on opening night and he wasn't benched. It just doesn't make any sense.

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 05:40 PM
Ha i know bparcells- the guy just doesn't get it like WE DO - now go beat the stevie brown to the slot drum some more - just joshing - but cmon man the guy knows football x's and o's better then everyone on this board and then some. Without loyalty this board would've removed all the following players.

osi
webby
most would have not drafted jpp or wilson
tuck
nicks had horrible hands last year in dallas game and got crushed by fans
bennett
boothe

This list goes on and on - I get it, diehl is older and has been a bit of a swinging gate recently - but i think the real value of our line is beatty and the left side and locklear not as much - but we will see, and sorry but i just trust tc more then this board and always will.

BMW
11-01-2012, 05:41 PM
Our coaches are dumb.

Rudyy
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
Our coaches are dumb.I've said this in another thread.
I love our coaches and would not trade them for anyone else, but they have a hard time adjusting to new things. Why? I don't know.
I'm trying to trust their decision here...

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 05:44 PM
That was meant for red right - please say that was meant for red? AHHHHHHHH when will anyone put any faith in a guy who took an expansion team to the AFC championship game - has 2 rings and is one of the greatest coaches in giants history - NOPE HE PLAYED DIEHL - HE'S DUMB - AHHHHHHHHHHH UNREAL.

GameTime
11-01-2012, 05:45 PM
how about this all you whiners....
How about hoping DD does well instead of crappy just so Locklear can go back. You think putting Deihl is stupid???!!!! Hoping he does poorly is even worse!!!

Geeze.....some of you guys just suck......

Cloud57
11-01-2012, 05:47 PM
I've said this in another thread.
I love our coaches and would not trade them for anyone else, but they have a hard time adjusting to new things. Why? I don't know.

Coughlin is old, he doesn't like change or adjustments

JB456
11-01-2012, 05:48 PM
I've said this in another thread.

I usually give the coahes the benefit of the doubt but this is terrible. Diehl was terrible at the beginning of the year and not good last year. Why the hell would you remove someone who is performing better?

You know what, this doesn't suprise me one bit.

GameTime
11-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Coughlin is old, he doesn't like change or adjustments

yeah...damn his old ways with his 2 super bowl wins!!!

If you think he was ok with new ways and younger the Giants would have more then 2 SBs in his tenure???

Rudyy
11-01-2012, 05:53 PM
I usually give the coahes the benefit of the doubt but this is terrible. Diehl was terrible at the beginning of the year and not good last year. Why the hell would you remove someone who is performing better?

You know what, this doesn't suprise me one bit.No idea, I really don't know. I hope we don't go on a 4 game losing streak like last season and THEN we start figuring things out.

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 05:53 PM
yeah coughlin is old and just hates change - you can see the proof in the pudding he has a 6-2 team that just cant seem to hack it in todays offense - i mean top 5? What is that? He is playing a rookie in the slot - boring, please move to old man tryon - he has a punt returner who is a rookie - boring. He won't run the mostly inept wildcat which so many teams have shown works in large consistent spurts - he is loyal to players rather then pulling them the moment fans decide they are DONE - which is basically week to week - he wont fire gilbride his coordinator who just wont stop scoring points - he sticks with an old running back who tore up one of the better run defenses in the league BECAUSE he protects are most significant player #10 - god hes so old and boring - I HATE WINNING SUPERBOWLS - i hat that he wont adjust - man this guy is killing us - if only we didn't have one of the greatest coach in gmen history -ugh.

GameTime
11-01-2012, 05:54 PM
No idea, I really don't know. I hope we don't go on a 4 game losing streak like last season and THEN we start figuring things out.
because of DD they have a chance of a 4 game loosing streak???

wow.....

Rudyy
11-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Coughlin is old, he doesn't like change or adjustmentsI don't think age has anything to do with it, but the philosophy.
Our team is conservative. Diehl was originally the starter, so we are going back to the way things were whether he's effective or not.

and I do not like it.

JB456
yeah...damn his old ways with his 2 super bowl wins!!!

If you think he was ok with new ways and younger the Giants would have more then 2 SBs in his tenure???

I'm sorry bro, Flaharty basically told Locklear that he is better but won't be starting because Diehl beat him out in training camp. Who gives a flying F about what happened in training camp!!! This decision will hurt the team without a doubt. I respect Diehl but he is not a NFL starting at this point in his career and they are dismantling a line that lets up like one sac every four games. This is the type of decision that gets people fired.

Rudyy
because of DD they have a chance of a 4 game loosing streak???

wow.....That's not what I said...at all..

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Please link where flaherty said that - i have read the transcript he never said this - he said it wasn't due to locklear playing poorly - that doesn't mean THEY dodont think diehl will be better - even if YOU dont and wanna warp peoples words to what you wanna hear.

TheEnigma
People are justified to be upset about this move because we have a similar precedent from 2010 when Coughlin decided to go with O'Hara and we all know how that affected the offensive line then. I don't know if they are betting on Diehl to give us a better chance in the run game and are hoping that he suddenly stops allowing pass pressure in like the tide.

Though I think this move here possibly gives the Stevie Brown fans insight on what will happen when KP returns from his injury.

GameTime
That's not what I said...at all..

ok....I guess I took your post out of context considering the title of the thread....

sorry....

Rudyy
11-01-2012, 06:01 PM
ok....I guess I took your post out of context considering the title of the thread....

sorry....It's okay

I just don't like the call. I like DD a lot but right now we need players that can produce to the best of their abilities, and he cannot do so anymore.

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Enigma - i can understand the concern - what i cant understand is the fact that TC has built up so much credit its shocking how quickly fans jump on and off boats as if THEY know more. Pulling for DD sunday - and if he struggles - thats what locklear is there for - bring him in.

Rudyy
11-01-2012, 06:06 PM
Enigma - i can understand the concern - what i cant understand is the fact that TC has built up so much credit its shocking how quickly fans jump on and off boats as if THEY know more. Pulling for DD sunday - and if he struggles - thats what locklear is there for - bring him in.Why should we bring DD in anyway? he's not effective anymore.

slipknottin
11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Well the good news is that O'Hara got cut that offseason after they forced him back in. Maybe Diehl can follow

TheEnigma
11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Enigma - i can understand the concern - what i cant understand is the fact that TC has built up so much credit its shocking how quickly fans jump on and off boats as if THEY know more. Pulling for DD sunday - and if he struggles - thats what locklear is there for - bring him in.

I think any reasonable fan is pulling for DD (personally, I hope he goes out there and drives the guy lined up from him into the ground each time) but when it simply comes to offensive line decisions, I'm really losing confidence in the coaches to make the right decisions on those. Maybe it's their weakness? Every staff has one so I'm not incredibly upset.

dave56dj
11-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Maybe - but to call our coaches dumb is remarkably unfair and completely naive to what is going on in the rest of the NFL.

JesseJames
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
This is rediculous. You play the people that give you the best chance to win and that is not Diehl at this point in his career.+1

giantsfan420
11-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Slow downa bit. I am against this as well but pitt doesnt have a speed rusher really and thats where dd is terrible. He might not have a bad game altho the timing of this is moronic. It seems with the way its being explained that lockler isnt being benched for performance, so that makes me think theyre starting dd outta loyalty and to see if he can match what locklers been giving us. Ie, this move DOESNT improve our chances to win, if anything it decreases.

That said, dd is an emotional player whom i hope realizes hes on a short leash. Tc CANNOT wait to long to swap if its needed...tc takes loyalty to a whole new level

Drez
11-01-2012, 06:25 PM
Locklear hasn't played very well the past couple of weeks. Granted, I don't necessarily think that Diehl is going to be an improvement, but I don't think there's going to be significant drop off.

slipknottin
11-01-2012, 06:26 PM
Locklear hasn't played very well the past couple of weeks. Granted, I don't necessarily think that Diehl is going to be an improvement, but I don't think there's going to be significant drop off.

Locklear has been average, Diehl consistently the worst OT in the league. Though the LT in arizona can probably give him a run for that title

Drez
11-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Locklear has been average, Diehl consistently the worst OT in the league. Though the LT in arizona can probably give him a run for that title
Zing! lol

Gmen 802
11-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Wow.......that's just a dumb move. I myself say like many others, IF IT AIN'T BROKE DONT F&%KING FIX IT!!!

TextureDj
11-01-2012, 06:33 PM
People are justified to be upset about this move because we have a similar precedent from 2010 when Coughlin decided to go with O'Hara and we all know how that affected the offensive line then. I don't know if they are betting on Diehl to give us a better chance in the run game and are hoping that he suddenly stops allowing pass pressure in like the tide.

Though I think this move here possibly gives the Stevie Brown fans insight on what will happen when KP returns from his injury.

You mean were not going to move Stevie Brown to WR?

I Bleed Blue
11-01-2012, 06:34 PM
WTF! WTF is wrong with Coughlin? This is an awful decision that will spell disaster. Diehl is serviceable at best. This is O'Hara part 2. You have given up the least amount of sacks in the league and he wants to do this? Dumb, dumb, dumb. This coach just wants to show the players that he is the boss and what he says, goes. Disgusted. I don't want to hear that he's loyal to his players crap. Team first coach, not your damn ego.

moosedrool
11-01-2012, 06:34 PM
I try really hard not to criticize TC since the guy is a winner, but this decision is really testing me.

JesseJames
11-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Deihl will be on a short leash and if he starts to get beat too often they will yank him and it will then be Locklears job...this is strictly a loyalty move..

giantsfan420
11-01-2012, 06:41 PM
I agree with that. You know when you can lose your spot though? When you've been completely outplayed, which to me is this situation, much more so than the injury.
did dd efen beat out lockler for rt??? Beatty got injured and lockler moved to lt where he was equally solid...
and lockler beating out dd bc ofinjury, Locker OUTPLAYED dd

I Bleed Blue
11-01-2012, 06:51 PM
Deihl will be on a short leash and if he starts to get beat too often they will yank him and it will then be Locklears job...this is strictly a loyalty move..

I agree with you and that's what makes this move very disturbing. It's about team first. This is not a move that will make the team better. Eli better be prepared to get a lot of pressure from his right side. He shouldn't be on a short leash. He shouldn't be in there period.

GMENAGAIN
11-01-2012, 06:59 PM
LaMarr Woodley will eat him for lunch. Can't wait....

Is Woodley even playing?

Drez
11-01-2012, 07:00 PM
did dd efen beat out lockler for rt??? Beatty got injured and lockler moved to lt where he was equally solid...
and lockler beating out dd bc ofinjury, Locker OUTPLAYED dd
Beatty was hurt so the plugged Locklear there and Diehl at RT. When Diehl got hurt they moved Locklear to RT and Beatty at LT (who was just getting back from his injury).

GMENAGAIN
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM

How has DD played at RT?

Drez
11-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Is Woodley even playing?
I don't think he's been ruled out, but I don't think he'll be suiting up.

Drez
11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
How has DD played at RT?
Pretty poorly the game or two before he got hurt. I know both he and Locklear got owned in the first Boys game.

DaKraken
11-01-2012, 07:22 PM
I think most who know me would say I'm normally as level-headed as they come on these boards in trusting the front office and coaches. I frankly criticize members daily for their quick "bust" labels of players, and calls for firings.

But I have to say, when I read the title of this thread, my head hurt. This move just baffles me.

Cool Papa B.
11-01-2012, 07:23 PM

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

NOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.....

RoanokeFan
11-01-2012, 07:39 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_david_diehl_will_retake.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "Sean Locklear said he got the news Wednesday, from Giants offensive line coach Pat Flaherty: David Diehl will return to his starting right tackle job this week, and Locklear will be moved to jumbo tackle duty.

"He said, 'You're not being benched because of your play,' " Locklear said of his conversation with Flaherty. " 'Youíve been playing good; youíve done everything weíve asked. Itís just the guy canít lose his job from minor injury.' I kind of expected it, I just didnít know when it was going to happen. Heís been here 10 years; heís started virtually every game. So I understand where they are coming from."

Locklear said Diehl is taking all the reps with the first team in practice this week, in preparation to start against the Steelers. They split the reps the past few weeks.

Diehl sprained his MCL in the Week 2 win against the Buccaneers and missed the next three games. Diehl returned for the 49ers game but has been the jumbo tackle the past three weeks -- the first time in his 10-year Giants career he's played but did not start.

"Itís tough, but itís the position I thought I was going to be in coming into the season," Locklear said of the move. "But you know, things happen. Had a chance to actually get in there and play, and now it is kind of back to where I thought it was going to be. Iím happy Iíll be that sixth guy, so Iíll still get some reps. I wonít completely just be out of the loop." Read more...

Rudyy
11-01-2012, 07:41 PM
Hmph..

moosedrool
11-01-2012, 07:47 PM
duplicate thread

TheEnigma
11-01-2012, 07:51 PM
http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?22341-Diehl-to-start-aginst-Steelers is the original thread.

Harooni
11-01-2012, 07:53 PM
http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/54/facepalming.gif

Imgrate
11-01-2012, 07:54 PM
I'm sure this makes Lamar Woodley pretty happy

BG61
11-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Horrible move. Back to Eli running for his life and being 32nd in rushing again.

Imgrate
11-01-2012, 08:06 PM
This is akin to purring Ohara back in the line up. Stupid.

ANON837
11-01-2012, 08:07 PM
WTF!!!!!! Save the loyalties for Old Yeller. The line was working finally and they change it up? I can understand if Sean wasn't holding his own but he was. Don't understand this move.

Harooni
11-01-2012, 08:19 PM
why keep forcing a guard to play tackle???

Moke
11-01-2012, 08:23 PM
So, we lose?

RoanokeFan
11-01-2012, 08:26 PM
So, we lose?

Should be forfeit?

Moke
11-01-2012, 08:27 PM
Should be forfeit?

Pretty much?

Tell Diehl the game is postponed to Monday and then play without him

Flip Empty
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Not a fan of the move but I'll wait til after the game to judge it.

TheEnigma
11-01-2012, 08:32 PM
why keep forcing a guard to play tackle???

He actually played worse at LG for us last year if you recall. I think his proper position is Assistant Offensive Line Coach.

GiantRoc
11-01-2012, 09:03 PM
I was wondering when this would happen. I actually thought for a while they noticed improved line play after Diehl was out. I know a starter should not be replaced due to an injury, but wouldn't better O-line performance be a good reason? Diehl did not beat out Locklear in camp. Seems to mean it was a default thing due to Beatty's injury. Add the fact Locklear was just learning the offense in camp. I hope we are all wrong, but I sure have an uneasy feeling at right tackle.

CowboysSuck
11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
AND SO IT BEGINS. THE SHAUN OHARA DISASTER PART II. SOMEONE REMIND ME WHY I LIKE THIS TEAM SO MUCH??

....and just when you think the coaching staff might have learned something

RoanokeFan
11-01-2012, 09:08 PM

The article explains that

Buddy333
11-01-2012, 09:13 PM
Just in time for the second half collapse.

JJC7301
11-01-2012, 09:16 PM
The guy can't lose his job because of a minor injury?!? Really?!? I thought that he lost his job because Locklear played better, and that's how it should be.

Well, when the Giants start losing games because of this jackass decision, they'll go back to Locklear. But only after having paid a price for it. Beyond stupid. I can't even believe that that's what was said to Locklear, it's just so stupid and doesn't sound like TC at all.

jomo
11-01-2012, 09:20 PM
The guy can't lose his job because of a minor injury?!? Really?!? I thought that he lost his job because Locklear played better, and that's how it should be.

Well, when the Giants start losing games because of this jackass decision, they'll go back to Locklear. But only after having paid a price for it. Beyond stupid. I can't even believe that that's what was said to Locklear, it's just so stupid and doesn't sound like TC at all.I agree that it is a stupid and cowardly excuse to sit Locklear. The only reason Diehl should be starting is because the coaches think he's better than Locklear (even a little). If that is the case they should man up and be honest with the guy who's done an excellent job in relief.

CowboysSuck
11-01-2012, 09:21 PM
Just in time for the second half collapse.

You didnt just say that

TheEnigma
11-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I don't think I've seen a coaching move this universally hated since 2010 really. It's just so odd to see everyone agree.

GameTime
11-01-2012, 09:28 PM
would the y really risk Eli if DD was worse than Locklear?? I see what the stats say but they see more then we do of how DD was the last several practices.

I hope Diehl has a great game and shuts everyone up.
IMO if he is having a ****ty game he will be pulled.

jomo
11-01-2012, 09:32 PM
I can't believe he uttered those words, "a starter can't lose his job due to a minor injury." That runs against everything this franchise has been built around. The best player plays. If they think Diehl is better, they should say it to Locklear and the media, but those other words leave me shaking my head.

Rusty192
11-01-2012, 09:37 PM
Is Woodley even playing?Well now having said that it appears that he will not be playing.

drewz
Am I missing something?

Ebenezer Samuel ‏@ebenezersamuel (https://twitter.com/ebenezersamuel) Sounds like Diehl is jumbo this week. Per Gilbride: "They’re doing a pretty good job. So, it’s hard to make a change."

Rusty192
I don't think I've seen a coaching move this universally hated since 2010 really. It's just so odd to see everyone agree.It's because its so obvious. That's why.

Rusty192
11-01-2012, 09:39 PM
He actually played worse at LG for us last year if you recall. I think his proper position is Assistant Offensive Line Coach.Agreed Demarcus Ware can't own him there.....

...or can he?

drewz
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Pro Football Focus ‏@PFF (https://twitter.com/PFF) Giants OL has been so much better without David Diehl in the lineup. That isn't a coincidence. He needs to stay out!

BigBlue wins
11-01-2012, 09:40 PM
The article explains that

You're right it does...I figured they rewarded Diehl by putting him in as the jumbo tackle. Needless to say I am disappointed with their decision here.

It's like on my rugby team, some guys play out of their mind but they'll stick with the regulars over those who do better simply because of loyalty. It pisses me off because it's a recipe for disaster and a good way to lose. Player chemistry is very important and the coaches are risking a loss of that by doing this move.

Flip Empty
11-01-2012, 09:43 PM
I can't believe he uttered those words, "a starter can't lose his job due to a minor injury." That runs against everything this franchise has been built around. The best player plays.
Yep. Exhibit A: Victor Cruz.

jintsfan666
11-01-2012, 10:05 PM
This seals the deal for me. I was going to pass up a fishing trip into the Gulf Sunday to watch a stream of the game. No way I pass up that trip now just to be frustrated watching DD open the gates for Pitt's defensive ends. I just hope Eli isn't seriously injured.

offingmoot
11-01-2012, 10:52 PM
This seals the deal for me. I was going to pass up a fishing trip into the Gulf Sunday to watch a stream of the game. No way I pass up that trip now just to be frustrated watching DD open the gates for Pitt's defensive ends. I just hope Eli isn't seriously injured.

Thats a smart call. Enjoy the trip!

offingmoot
11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
Id like to hear from someone who has actually watched the oline closely especially locklear, like an all 22 junkie
Has he been under performing? I thought the oline had been decent. A few large rushing games. None to very few sacks for a while.
Will it be that much of a downgrade, or are we mostly being emotional due to history?

offingmoot
11-01-2012, 10:58 PM
http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?22341-Diehl-to-start-aginst-Steelers is the original thread.

Its a link to this thread.....
Am i missing some inherent or implied internet joke?

Flip Empty
11-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Its a link to this thread.....
Am i missing some inherent or implied internet joke?
That post is from the duplicate thread which was merged with this one.

offingmoot
11-01-2012, 11:09 PM
That post is from the duplicate thread which was merged with this one.

How would i know its merged w/o asking?
Did i mis something? I came back to this thread hours later with a ton of replies.

Cool Papa B.
11-01-2012, 11:19 PM
Am I missing something?

Ebenezer Samuel ‏@ebenezersamuel (https://twitter.com/ebenezersamuel) Sounds like Diehl is jumbo this week. Per Gilbride: "They’re doing a pretty good job. So, it’s hard to make a change."

Now I'm confused. The above was tweeted about 3 hours ago. There seems to be a division in the Giants coaching staff. Just a guess, but I think TC wants Deihl to start, but Gilbide wants to keep Locklear at RT. won't be surprised if TC goes Buddy Ryan on Gillbride.....LOL just kidding.

zimonami
11-01-2012, 11:22 PM
Hate the move!! I almost hope the run game sucks and he gets beat so locklear can get his spot back. Terrible move!
That's a horrible thought!! Bite your tongue.
But, I agree, 100%
We became better when Locklear played. Don't they see that?

drewz
11-01-2012, 11:24 PM
Id like to hear from someone who has actually watched the oline closely especially locklear, like an all 22 junkie
Has he been under performing? I thought the oline had been decent. A few large rushing games. None to very few sacks for a while.
Will it be that much of a downgrade, or are we mostly being emotional due to history?

He had a below average game against Dallas, but the oline as a whole didn't play well either.

Listen, Eli can cover Diehl's flaws, he has great pocket awareness and can get rid of the ball quickly. It's much harder for running backs when before you even get the handoff, you got defenders in the backfield. You think it's frustrating watching Bradshaw dance in the backfield, wait till Diehl is blocking in the run game again.

offingmoot
11-01-2012, 11:26 PM
Now I'm confused. The above was tweeted about 3 hours ago. There seems to be a division in the Giants coaching staff. Just a guess, but I think TC wants Deihl to start, but Gilbide wants to keep Locklear at RT. won't be surprised if TC cold****'s Gillbride.....LOL just kidding.

I sure hope gilbride wins out

offingmoot
11-01-2012, 11:27 PM
He had a below average game against Dallas, but the oline as a whole didn't play well either.

Listen, Eli can cover Diehl's flaws, he has great pocket awareness and can get rid of the ball quickly. It's much harder for running backs when before you even get the handoff, you got defenders in the backfield. You think it's frustrating watching Bradshaw dance in the backfield, wait till Diehl is blocking in the run game again.

Thanx for making me feel worse about diehl

joemorrisforprez
11-01-2012, 11:28 PM
David "The Real" Diehl is going to silence all the critics next Sunday.

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!

Rusty192
11-01-2012, 11:39 PM

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!I sense sarcasm..

joemorrisforprez
11-01-2012, 11:46 PM
I sense sarcasm..

Diehl is healthy now....if he doesn't play as well as Locklear, he is not going to remain the starter.

giantsfan420
11-01-2012, 11:47 PM
Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!
ill sign on but for this game only. U think dd isnt getting wind of the doubt and questioning of his ability? It smells like wet fart that dd mistook for rainer, now that hes up against the proverbial wall, i expect him to play with a high level of intensity. Tho, doesnt dd always?
I prob cant put into words how or why dd will have a good game, i just have a feeling

Cloud57
11-01-2012, 11:50 PM

Wooooooooooooooooo!!!!

I hopes he reads the Giants message board.

Rusty192
11-01-2012, 11:54 PM
I hopes he reads the Giants message board.I think he should consider himself lucky not too. lol

giantsfan420
11-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Yep. Exhibit A: Victor Cruz.

Well that was about an unceremonious sitching of the guard as possible. Mm was hurt on and off last yr, there was times he "started" over cruz. My point is that id say cruz/mm were equal on the depth chart, i dunno besides injury if cruz was ever officially the starter although we all knew cruz was the future.

Regarding the question bout lockler and how hes played, he.s had a positive grade every game besides the two cowboys game iirc. He isnt mauling people every play although he has made a bunch of key blocks. Hes actually played at a very high level considering his tenure here so far, from rt to lt to rt as a fa learning our system. Hes playing at the level dd was before his sharp decline imho. Id say hes a fair to good run blocker and adequate to fair pass blocking who displays excellent play time to time

joemorrisforprez
11-02-2012, 12:14 AM
ill sign on but for this game only. U think dd isnt getting wind of the doubt and questioning of his ability? It smells like wet fart that dd mistook for rainer, now that hes up against the proverbial wall, i expect him to play with a high level of intensity. Tho, doesnt dd always?
I prob cant put into words how or why dd will have a good game, i just have a feeling

I think he's getting the start, but if he struggles, Coughlin will be able to make the switch without feeling any guilt about it.

Locklear has shown the coaching staff what he can do....in the process, he has set a bar that Diehl needs to clear.

Diehl is being given a chance to keep his job.....that's how I see it.

I Bleed Blue 56
11-02-2012, 01:00 AM
Typical move by this coaching staff im sorry but by far the worst move of the season. Diehl is done and it has shown we dont need him. Im speechless beyond words we will easily give up 3 or more sacks friday and if you think our run game was bad against the cowboys wait till sunday.

gmen0820
11-02-2012, 01:04 AM
October is over, so we need some sort of catalyst to the imminent second half collapse; not to mention a scapegoat. Diehl is awful, not a huge downgrade from what we have, but horrible nonetheless. Eli will continue to prove his worth. We should be fine, it appears that we really only need 3-5 more wins.

stormblue
11-02-2012, 01:25 AM
the giants average 63 offensive plays per game (kicking plays excluded)

Sean Locklear 537 snaps 0 sacks allowed = 0 sacks allowed per game
David Diehl 97 snaps 2 sacks allowed = 1.5 sacks allowed per game
DD has a slight advantage (-3.9 vs -5.2 ) over Locklear in rushing but truthfully
they both suck at run blocking as they both have a negative rating.
league wide Locklear is ranked 85th . Diehl 95th. both have an overall negative rating.
so actually , you ain't gettin' much with either one.
and for those who are saying Diehl is long in the tooth , Locklear is only 1 year younger.
they are both old and they both suck.....better start getting Brewer some snaps.....he at least has a positive grade ,
albeit way smaller body of work.
the o-lines improvement is much more due to Beaty's return than Locklear subbing for Diehl.

much ado about nothing....

C1010
11-02-2012, 01:48 AM
I like DD as much as the next person but my instant reaction was:

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/14/4d825ef60d10a98cf34df241857503e44520e89.gif

Overdrive92
11-02-2012, 01:52 AM
http://i.minus.com/ib2EXAMcKusT5.gif

Seriously though, someone tell this coaching staff "Don't fix what's not broke".

Rat_bastich
11-02-2012, 01:56 AM
Damn, I had Diehl as my starting tight end for my fantasy league. Where in the hell will I get my points from now????

Antwuan
11-02-2012, 03:28 AM
Like The Old Saying Goes "If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It".

Captain Chaos
11-02-2012, 08:05 AM
I hope he is on a short leash!

primetime
11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
I feared this would happen once Diehl was 100% healthy. I feel this is strictly a loyal move, long time starter got hurt and is now healthy; needs to have his shot to reclaim his starting position. But like many have said why fix what isn't broken? I hope he proves a lot of doubters wrong this week, but I fear he will be what he has been for over a year now. A broken down tackle who has trouble with speed rushers.

jomo
11-02-2012, 11:31 AM
You're right it does...I figured they rewarded Diehl by putting him in as the jumbo tackle. Needless to say I am disappointed with their decision here.

It's like on my rugby team, some guys play out of their mind but they'll stick with the regulars over those who do better simply because of loyalty. It pisses me off because it's a recipe for disaster and a good way to lose. Player chemistry is very important and the coaches are risking a loss of that by doing this move.I agree, that is not how championship teams are built. My guess is that they believe that Diehl is marginally better than Locklear but don't want to dress down a guy who's done a really nice job for us in relief........so they look for some other excuse. I think it is stupid. This is a results business. This is a meritocracy. The best player should play, simple. They need to man up to Locklear and the fans about who gets to start and why. Right now we can only take them at their word and their words right now are lame.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 11:42 AM
I agree, that is not how championship teams are built. My guess is that they believe that Diehl is marginally better than Locklear but don't want to dress down a guy who's done a really nice job for us in relief........so they look for some other excuse. I think it is stupid. This is a results business. This is a meritocracy. The best player should play, simple. They need to man up to Locklear and the fans about who gets to start and why. Right now we can only take them at their word and their words right now are lame. Could it be this is Diehl's last chance to fail?

BigBlue wins
11-02-2012, 11:57 AM
I agree, that is not how championship teams are built. My guess is that they believe that Diehl is marginally better than Locklear but don't want to dress down a guy who's done a really nice job for us in relief........so they look for some other excuse. I think it is stupid. This is a results business. This is a meritocracy. The best player should play, simple. They need to man up to Locklear and the fans about who gets to start and why. Right now we can only take them at their word and their words right now are lame.

Bingo!

Eli2Shockey4aTD
11-02-2012, 12:22 PM
This has to be the last chance for DIehl. Also I do not get how they are talking about Stevie keeping his spot due to his performance, but not Locklear?

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 01:14 PM
This has to be the last chance for DIehl. Also I do not get how they are talking about Stevie keeping his spot due to his performance, but not Locklear?

Stevie Brown is not "keeping his spot" with Phillips returning. However, they are in a position to make an adjustment to have them both on the field when they employ the 3 safety defense. Actually, I believe we will see Locklear in the jumbo package.

Eli TO Shockey
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
Giants 101

David Diehl will start for the Giants at RT this Sunday.

uhhhhh ????

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 02:16 PM
There's a thread here http://boards.giants.com/showthread.php?22341-Diehl-to-start-aginst-Steelers

and yeah, nobody understands it either.

BigBlue wins
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
I like most things with 2 D's, like dunkin donuts and bra sizes. But not when it starts with david and ends with diehl pertaining to starting.

bearbryant
11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
If they don't have an ace up their sleeve for this move... they're stupid. On the side of the ball where you have your best rushers, you remove the better OT and put in a less capable OT who is also coming off an injury, too boot!!! Better have an answer for this one Kildrive! Go Giants!

sharick88
11-02-2012, 04:33 PM
Hate the move. That is all

jomo
11-02-2012, 05:01 PM
Could it be this is Diehl's last chance to fail?It could be RF but the stakes are so high. He is not just failing to move the pile for AB. He is protecting the franchise.

Rusty192
11-02-2012, 05:06 PM
I like most things with 2 D's, like dunkin donuts and bra sizes. But not when it starts with david and ends with diehl pertaining to starting.LMAO

drewz
11-02-2012, 07:37 PM
Hopefully Reese takes it out of the coaching hands next year by cutting him in the off season. We have our LT set, it's time to go with our RT of the future and start getting young on the oline

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 07:38 PM
LMAOYou would find that funny.

Rusty192
11-02-2012, 07:52 PM
You would find that funny.lol not just me. it was funny, and considering our situation i needed a laugh.

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 07:53 PM
lol not just me. it was funny, and considering our situation i needed a laugh...It's just you lmao

DON'T BE ASHAMED.

Rusty192
11-02-2012, 07:57 PM
..It's just you lmao

DON'T BE ASHAMED.Since when did you become a stickler for no fun? :P

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 08:01 PM
Since when did you become a stickler for no fun? :PSince...birth.

Rusty192
11-02-2012, 08:10 PM
My condolences lol

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 08:23 PM
My condolences lolShut up lol

BillTheGreek
11-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Give DD a Gold Watch !

Sarcasman
11-03-2012, 11:20 AM

"He said, 'You're not being benched because of your play,' " Locklear said of his conversation with Flaherty. " 'Youíve been playing good; youíve done everything weíve asked. Itís jkst the guy canít lose his job from minor injury.'

Can a guy lose his job from playing poorly? Maybe we could go with that one....

Sarcasman
11-03-2012, 11:22 AM
October is over, so we need some sort of catalyst to the imminent second half collapse;

LOL!

That's what I should have said..

RoanokeFan
11-03-2012, 11:27 AM
Can a guy lose his job from playing poorly? Maybe we could go with that one.... I actually think that's the message Flaherty was giving when he said you don't lose the starting job after injury

GMan-67
11-03-2012, 04:41 PM
well clearly this board is way more knowledgable about football and offensive line play than Pat Flaherty ... hopefully a board member can get in touch with him before it's too late

then again we could fire him if Diehl gives up a sack ... afterall, why should he get more leeway than Fewell or KG

jaxnygmen
11-03-2012, 09:59 PM
Got to justify paying him a boat load of money for sitting on the bench. Diehl needs to continue to play the bit role.

BillTheGreek
11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
Typical move by this coaching staff im sorry but by far the worst move of the season. Diehl is done and it has shown we dont need him. Im speechless beyond words we will easily give up 3 or more sacks friday and if you think our run game was bad against the cowboys wait till sunday.
+1

Give DD a Gold Watch ! & Hurry Up !