PDA

View Full Version : #Steelers can't find hotel in New York. Will leave Pittsburgh Sunday morning, return

Tuckit91
11-01-2012, 04:06 PM
Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina....League normally requires visiting teams to be in town for next game 24 hours prior to kickoff...Guess Steelers are getting a waiver due to the power issues Sandy left behind.

Advantage Giants!?

FIFTY6G-MAN
11-01-2012, 04:25 PM
That is a definite Home Field Advantage for us, the Steelers will not be happy about this.

Tuckit91
11-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Steelers had hotel booked. But it has no power and won't be taking guests

ebick
11-01-2012, 04:31 PM
Steelers had hotel booked. But it has no power and won't be taking guests

I was gonna say....don't tell me these guys don't book hotels way in advance....

GameTime
11-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Over half of the Giants players have homes with no power. Others were living with other players with power. Practice has been compromised.

NO home field advantage at all. Both team will be slightly less prepared.....

Drez
11-01-2012, 05:09 PM
I wonder if the league will look into postponing the game to Monday or Tuesday?

Moke
11-01-2012, 05:11 PM
That is a huge advantage for the Giants... they should really postpone it to be add a little bit of fairness. Watch the Giants still lose... we're known for this.

idiotekniQues
11-01-2012, 05:12 PM
it's definitely a home field advantage for us. some players may not have power but they have a support system here - friends, family and other players. arriving at a game that morning should be a disadvantage for the steelers.

bg79
11-01-2012, 05:23 PM
That is a brutal drive to make before playing. Can't they get some hotels in northeastern PA that can cut down on that drive? It's like 5-6 hours or something to Pittsburgh isnt it?

manton
11-01-2012, 05:26 PM
In all seriousness it's probably best to have as few people visiting a declared state of emergency area -- especially when things like food and gas are at a premium in some places.

Drez
11-01-2012, 05:31 PM
That is a brutal drive to make before playing. Can't they get some hotels in northeastern PA that can cut down on that drive? It's like 5-6 hours or something to Pittsburgh isnt it?
I'm sure they'd be flying in. The drive from Heinz Field to Metlife is like 8 hours, lol.

Cool Papa B.
11-01-2012, 06:45 PM
I'm surprised they couldn't find one hotel in the NY Metro area that could accomodate them. I know the NYC marathon is this weekend, and you have some people staying in hotels because of the Hurricane, but geez, As a player I would prefer staying in a hotel in Conn. somewhere than fly out on the same day. Imagine if this game was being played at 1PM instead of 4:30.

GMENAGAIN
11-01-2012, 07:02 PM
I'm sure they'd be flying in. The drive from Heinz Field to Metlife is like 8 hours, lol.

They have to be flying . . . .

Tuckit91
11-01-2012, 07:15 PM
Saw the tweet were they will be flying....That would be a long drive on game day.

byron
11-01-2012, 07:21 PM
Man what I'm seeing and hearing...all the damage/not being able to get gas and added traffic to the city I'm thinking they should have canceled/postponed this game....

Superbowl
11-01-2012, 07:42 PM
I doubt Moonachie airport can support big enough air plane so I guess they will be fly into Newark. Good 3-5 hours will be spent going to and in the airport. Although there's no sure wins advantage goes to Giants.

P_Simms_#11
11-01-2012, 07:46 PM
They have to be flying . . . .

Hope their arms aren't too tired. Yes, i know, the joke is older than dirt. Thanks for indulging me. I'll be here all week.

CowboysSuck
11-01-2012, 08:11 PM
How is this even possible? This is the NFL, they could buy out the entire burrough of Manhattan for a night if they so pleased..

PETEY006
11-01-2012, 08:56 PM
i hope they Suffer from severe jet lag!!!!!!!

ashleymarie
11-01-2012, 09:23 PM
i hope they Suffer from severe jet lag!!!!!!!

Hahaha that's the spirit!

Truly I am worried over the Steelers. Our guys have a lot on their minds with homes, families, power off, etc.

Cool Papa B.
11-01-2012, 09:27 PM
From a team official:

Class by the @Steelers brass: Spoke to a team official about Steelers flying in 5 hrs before Sunday game vs Giants, as first reported by @EdBouchette. Official said once hotel they'd planned to stay at Saturday closed due to power loss, "we decided we just didn't feel right about asking employees at [the open] hotels to start making a bunch of extra efforts to accommodate us, when so many of them are having issues themselves. There are a lot of very difficult things going on for a lot of people in that area; us having to fly in and out on the same day as a football game is no hardship in comparison."

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/jrut74

Real class act by the Steelers. Wow.

JJC7301
11-01-2012, 09:37 PM
It doesn't help the Steelers, but they're like the TC-coached Giants. The Giants wouldn't let something like a 2 hour flight get to them and neither will the Steelers. They're too mentally tough to be affected by that.

ozzie0075
11-01-2012, 09:43 PM
From a team official:

Class by the @Steelers brass: Spoke to a team official about Steelers flying in 5 hrs before Sunday game vs Giants, as first reported by @EdBouchette. Official said once hotel they'd planned to stay at Saturday closed due to power loss, "we decided we just didn't feel right about asking employees at [the open] hotels to start making a bunch of extra efforts to accommodate us, when so many of them are having issues themselves. There are a lot of very difficult things going on for a lot of people in that area; us having to fly in and out on the same day as a football game is no hardship in comparison."

Truly a class organization that I have always had great respect for and this just shows why.

tonyt830
11-02-2012, 07:13 AM
From a team official:

Truly a class organization that I have always had great respect for and this just shows why.agree with both of you, classy move by the Steelers organization.

i'm not saying its an advantage or disadvantage either way. A flight from Pittsburgh to Newark is not that long of a flight, plus like others mentioned, the Giants players, coaches and their families have not had it real easy this week.

Captain Chaos
11-02-2012, 07:17 AM
That is a big deal, kind of negates the issue of many of the G'men that have no power....

bigblue58
11-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Patricia Traina ‏@Patricia_Traina....League normally requires visiting teams to be in town for next game 24 hours prior to kickoff...Guess Steelers are getting a waiver due to the power issues Sandy left behind.

Advantage Giants!?

Dude.....they're coming from Pennsylvania, not Australia! They'll work out in Pitts up until traveling day....a couple of hours to Jersey for a normal pre-game warm-up!
They're not gonna be jet lagged or deprived of practice in any way, so no...no advantage at all.

miked1958
11-02-2012, 09:17 AM
No theres no advantage for us by them flying the same day. If there is any team with a Disadvantage its the Giants. They will be the ones with their minds somewhere else thinking about all the issues and problems that they and their families are going through. Hopefully they can put it aside for the 3hrs and consentrate on beating the Steelers

CTLadyBlue
11-02-2012, 10:50 AM
No theres no advantage for us by them flying the same day. If there is any team with a Disadvantage its the Giants. They will be the ones with their minds somewhere else thinking about all the issues and problems that they and their families are going through. Hopefully they can put it aside for the 3hrs and consentrate on beating the Steelers

I don't believe that. Practice or no practice, the Giants will be pumped and ready to go to play for their damaged city. I heard on the news yesterday that players are holing up with those who have power and taking film tape with them to study individually. Remember - we're talking about a team who is coached by a drill sergeant who is a stickler for preparation and knows he doesn't have to babysit his players to be sure they prepare. They're the defending champs - they don't need to be told what to do. They should already know it.

I don't see either team having an advantage and don't want something as a tragic storm to be advantageous to the Giants. I want these teams even so should the Giants win no talking heads can bellyache about the Steeler's convoluted travel plans, blah, blah blah