PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Heath Miller:

TheAnalyst
11-02-2012, 10:01 AM
With the recent shredding of our defense by Jason Witten to the tune of 18 catches and 167 yards, how do you think the defense adjusts to prevent Heath Miller from doing the same?

Heath is have a solid season with 35 catches and 336 yards with 6 TDs. He seems to be Ben's security blanket this season. I know a bunch of focus will be on not letting the top get blown off in the secondary, the bend don't break defensive stype Fewell loves using, but will this be effective vs a team who has Miller underneath, a solid running game with the RB Dwyer and Mendenhall, and WRs who can leave a trail of smoke down the field?

Do we pay more attention to the underneath now? Boley got abused by Witten, but if we have a LB and S/CB boxing in Miller, will we be able to contain the deep ball if / when Ben breaks a tackle and buys an extra second or 2?

primetime
11-02-2012, 10:09 AM
Heath Miller is no Jason Witten. A solid player none the less. Ben Roethlisberger stated this off-season I'm going to get Heath Miller into the probowl this year, and so far he has him set for Hawai. That being said they have to keep a deep safety for the speed of Mike Wallace, also they have to be physical with Miller, make him earn every catch. Jam him at the line, but the Steelers like to use him in motion, so be aware of that. He's great in the redzone, and is Ben's 1st option down their.

stormblue
11-02-2012, 10:16 AM
with KP returning this week maybe they'll use a lot of that 3 safety set.
i think R'NKFAN posted a thread somewhere about that.

TheAnalyst
11-02-2012, 10:18 AM
with KP returning this week maybe they'll use a lot of that 3 safety set.
i think R'NKFAN posted a thread somewhere about that.

KP is definitely returning? Well thats good news.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 10:21 AM
With the recent shredding of our defense by Jason Witten to the tune of 18 catches and 167 yards, how do you think the defense adjusts to prevent Heath Miller from doing the same? Heath is have a solid season with 35 catches and 336 yards with 6 TDs. He seems to be Ben's security blanket this season. I know a bunch of focus will be on not letting the top get blown off in the secondary, the bend don't break defensive stype Fewell loves using, but will this be effective vs a team who has Miller underneath, a solid running game with the RB Dwyer and Mendenhall, and WRs who can leave a trail of smoke down the field? Do we pay more attention to the underneath now? Boley got abused by Witten, but if we have a LB and S/CB boxing in Miller, will we be able to contain the deep ball if / when Ben breaks a tackle and buys an extra second or 2? I I think using the 3 safety approach will help

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 10:22 AM
KP is definitely returning? Well thats good news.Saw on Twitter that he's ready to return, but it's not 100%

giantsfan420
11-02-2012, 10:23 AM
Well pitt is a lot less vertical an offense altho they still will use their wrs to get deep. Its a lot more shorter to intermediary passes that have higher % of completion. Miller plays a huge role in that. Ben also has said he is gonna get him to the probowl, and has targeted him as such.
we will stop him if fewell doesnt rely on the d he went up against witten with. Remember he had all those catches after having none in the first quarter. Witten was killing us in man or zone. Boly was asked unfairly imo to mark him 1v1. Since CB is hurt, i expect to see a lot of three safety sets. That will be key imho. Its a luxury we can afford bc of the safety play we have, any one of our safeties can be a pseudo lb. In fact stevie brown did play lb for michigan his final year. Id dsay we stop miller if we go to a safety matchup over boley, or u double miller with a lb and bracket safety coverage. Only issue there is their wrs can get 1v1 on our corners and they arent exactly lighting it up...should be a good game

titwio
11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
If they do revert to the 3-safety set, I think Rolle will be the guy they put on him with KP and Stevie back to protect the deep ball. At least that's what I think should happen. Rolle gets beat too much deep for my liking so he seems like the logical one to help out in the box and take over Jaquain Williams role.

They'll probably rotate those guys but I think Rolle will revert back into an in the box safety.