PDA

View Full Version : Giants' Perry Fewell Made Adjustments After Reviewing Final Sequence Of Plays Vs. Cow

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 11:10 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_perry_fewell_made_adjus.html#incart_river

Excerpt: "The Giants' 29-24 win in Dallas last week came down to the Cowboys' final possession, a sequence in which they ran nine plays in the game's final 44 seconds.

The key play, of course, was the overturned 37-yard touchdown to Dez Bryant, when the receiver landed out of bounds by a fingertip. Giants defensive coordinator Perry Fewell found areas to learn from while breaking down the entire series.

"We went back, and I studied it," Fewell said Thursday. "I made some adjustments into what we need to do and how we can play that sequence better, but I thought they had a nice answer to what we tried to counter with."

Punter Steve Weatherford did a nice job booming a deep, out of bounds punt that put the Cowboys at their own 30-yard line to start. A 13-yard completion to tight end Jason Witten advanced them to their 43-yard line, and after a spike to stop the clock, quarterback Tony Romo was working with a second-and-10 at the 43 with 25 seconds to play.

Fewell praised the plays the Cowboys strung together at this point: A 16-yard completion to Bryant on an out-breaking route, followed by a 4-yard completion to Witten on another out-breaking route. That set up a second-and-6 from the Giants' 37-yard line, the play on which Bryant ran an out-and-up past cornerback Corey Webster into the end zone. Coach Tom Coughlin said afterward he wondered, "How in the world does somebody, in that defense, get behind someone?"

Fewell's answer: "It was a pressure called, and so some people were playing the pressure and they thought that we made a coverage check, and some people were playing a coverage. So thatís why he was out there like that." Read more...

ashleymarie
11-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Fewell had a chance to study the overturned TD from a winners point of view. We were fortunate. It seems the red-headed genius still has some sparks.

Eli2Shockey4aTD
11-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I would hope he is

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 11:37 AM
This is a step forward.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 12:23 PM
We tend to forget that this is a job to those inside the organization. Coaches are the least appreciated members of a professional football team. They spend untold hours watching film, drawing up game plans, dealing with injuries (known and unknown). Many sleep in their offices certain nights of the week so they can prepare their players for the next opponent.

And we all harp on their efforts inside a relatively small 60 minute window.

TheAnalyst
11-02-2012, 12:40 PM
I was not happy with how bad we were defending the "outs". The Cowboys had less then 30 seconds with no timeouts and we were giving them all the out routes they needed to get back into position. Witten over and over again. Dez had a few too. Not good defensive execution or scheme...

bearbryant
11-02-2012, 01:08 PM
I hope that perry took a look at all the coverages and did some coaching with Hosley, Prince and Webby. These guys have the skills but when it comes to execution they don't deliver consistently. Thats a coaches job: to teach and help players make new mistakes not the same old mistakes! The errors did not look like scheme problems, they looked like technique issues. Coach 'em up, Perry & Co..Go Giants!!

joemorrisforprez
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_perry_fewell_made_adjus.html#incart_river
Coach Tom Coughlin said afterward he wondered, "How in the world does somebody, in that defense, get behind someone?"

Fewell's answer: "It was a pressure called, and so some people were playing the pressure and they thought that we made a coverage check, and some people were playing a coverage. So that’s why he was out there like that." Read more...

Honestly, Giants got lucky that Bryant's hand was out of bounds. I like Fewell, but just like Gilbride, sometimes he does stuff that drives me crazy. On 3rd and long, he'll rush 3.....then with a Hail Mary coming, he'll call a coverage that will allow a WR to slip behind it????

Dallas had zero times outs left.....why call a pressure when all you need to do is cover the endzone (#1) and sidelines (#2)?

Like Coughlin said, I'm speechless that Bryant was able to get by two defenders in that sort of situation.

egyptian420
11-02-2012, 04:17 PM
I was not happy with how bad we were defending the "outs". The Cowboys had less then 30 seconds with no timeouts and we were giving them all the out routes they needed to get back into position. Witten over and over again. Dez had a few too. Not good defensive execution or scheme...This and Witten being open on damn near every play drove me NUTS!

ImElectric2
11-02-2012, 07:29 PM
Honestly, Giants got lucky that Bryant's hand was out of bounds. I like Fewell, but just like Gilbride, sometimes he does stuff that drives me crazy. On 3rd and long, he'll rush 3.....then with a Hail Mary coming, he'll call a coverage that will allow a WR to slip behind it????Dallas had zero times outs left.....why call a pressure when all you need to do is cover the endzone (#1) and sidelines (#2)?Like Coughlin said, I'm speechless that Bryant was able to get by two defenders in that sort of situation.Don't you think Bryant was lucky that Coe barely missed making a play on the ball? Aren't the cowboys lucky they even had a chance at the play to Bryant because of a poor spot and no challenge for Bradshaws run?I don't give anymore credit to luck for a win or a loss. Sucks that they missed by a few inches, but its not our fault Dez doesn't have the best field awareness.

joemorrisforprez
11-02-2012, 07:35 PM
This and Witten being open on damn near every play drove me NUTS!

I've given up on covering Witten a loooooooong time ago, especially with Reese's bargain bin mentality about linebackers.

He reminds me of Mark Bavaro in that old Tecmo Bowl for NES..... there was one play that was undefendable.

joemorrisforprez
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Don't you think Bryant was lucky that Coe barely missed making a play on the ball? Aren't the cowboys lucky they even had a chance at the play to Bryant because of a poor spot and no challenge for Bradshaws run?I don't give anymore credit to luck for a win or a loss. Sucks that they missed by a few inches, but its not our fault Dez doesn't have the best field awareness.

No.....I think it was a stupid defensive playcall that almost lost the game. Thank God Dez's hand hit before his *** or else the Giants would be 5-3 right now.

There is NO REASON why the safetys wheren't positioned at the goal line before the ball was even snapped. End of story, as far as I'm concened.

Like Coughlin said.....how the hell do you let a receiver get behind you on a play like that?

ImElectric2
11-02-2012, 08:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhfiWXTBPWU&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Captain Chaos
11-02-2012, 09:03 PM
Gees I hope that is what happens after every game....

drewz
11-02-2012, 09:05 PM
Giants D needs to do a better job of getting the defensive signals out

Parademon
11-02-2012, 10:24 PM
With no time outs, we should have been playing to give them catches in the middle of the field where they can be tackled & time would have run out before they got in the endzone. But no, we kept giving them catches on the sidelines so they could stop the clock. Also the problem with Witten is that nobody ever blasts him at the LOS & disrupt his little patented 8-9 yd routes that he's famous for. They always give him a clean release & let him run his route!

Everyone knows that when Dallas is in 3rd down situations, he is their go to guy! Same with Brady & Welker!