PDA

View Full Version : Move the game to Pittsburgh!

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 01:38 PM
There are two million people without power in the area still and near gas riots. People don't need to go fill up to go to a game right now. This is going to reverberate badly for having played on Sunday under these surrounding conditions.

Move the game to Pittsburgh!

The marathon is going to take the brunt of protest or worse. This is bad, bad timing and senseless right now to play here.

BTW, Francesa is on fire right now on the marathon: "This is the worst decision he can make." Francesa commenting on the Mayor's decision on keeping the marathon.

The Giants will take enormous heat and embarrassment for having played this game in NJ if they go forward.

Earlier in the week, it might have made sense to keep the game on, under an assumption that things would get back to normal sooner. They haven't. And I don't even live in the swath.

Jahh
11-02-2012, 01:41 PM
I disagree. Plus gas is on the way.

Jahh
11-02-2012, 01:45 PM
I'm confused as to what difference it makes for the game to be played else where. How does that make it any different? So gas isn't used to go to the stadium. Maybe these folks want to be able to escape the madness and enjoy some normalcy.

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 01:47 PM

It's just a game and in poor taste to require fans to go to a gas station to potentially wait four hours to get gas to make an unnecessary trip. What if something happens to a fan while waiting in line? Why should someone who desperately needs gas for a generator to help keep their family alive or safe or even warm have to wait longer or risk not getting gas so some of it can be taken for a fan to go to a ballgame?

There's no telling when gas will arrive in plentiful supply, nor whether sufficient gas stations will have power to pump it.

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm confused as to what difference it makes for the game to be played else where. How does that make it any different? So gas isn't used to go to the stadium. Maybe these folks want to be able to escape the madness and enjoy some normalcy.

Maybe, if these fans actually have power at home right now they can escape the madness by watching on their flat screen. We're talking about holding an event which has repercussions now way beyond football.

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 01:50 PM
If they don't want/can't go to the game..they don't have to go.
Nobody is forcing them.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 01:50 PM
There are two million people without power in the area still and near gas riots. People don't need to go fill up to go to a game right now. This is going to reverberate badly for having played on Sunday under these surrounding conditions.

The marathon is going to take the brunt of protest or worse. This is bad, bad timing and senseless right now to play here.

BTW, Francesa is on fire right now on the marathon: "This is the worst decision he can make." Francesa commenting on the Mayor's decision on keeping the marathon.

The Giants will take enormous heat and embarrassment for having played this game in NJ if they go forward.

Earlier in the week, it might have made sense to keep the game on, under an assumption that things would get back to normal sooner. They haven't. And I don't even live in the swath.

Easier said than done. What do you do about the people who have tickets, season and otherwise, who can't go to Pittsburgh? What do you do with all of the food already on hand? Gasoline shortages will ease up. Three of the five refineries in NJ are back on line. Executive orders have been issued in NY and NJ to relax and/or eliminate fees and permit out of state deliveries into NJ.

They best they could do is cancel the game at this point and then you'd have an issue as to making it u[. Both teams do not have the same bye week so that won't work.

Going to the game is a choice, not a command

Jahh
11-02-2012, 01:52 PM
It's just a game and in poor taste to require fans to go to a gas station to potentially wait four hours to get gas to make an unnecessary trip. What if something happens to a fan while waiting in line? Why should someone who desperately needs gas for a generator to help keep their family alive or safe or even warm have to wait longer or risk not getting gas so some of it can be taken for a fan to go to a ballgame?

There's no telling when gas will arrive in plentiful supply, nor whether sufficient gas stations will have power to pump it.

I'm going to back out of this discussion because I don't live there. I have my opinion but I will keep it to myself.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 01:52 PM

That's got nothing to do with the team. If fans can't go, they can't go.

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 01:58 PM
Easier said than done. What do you do about the people who have tickets, season and otherwise, who can't go to Pittsburgh? What do you do with all of the food already on hand? Gasoline shortages will ease up. Three of the five refineries in NJ are back on line. Executive orders have been issued in NY and NJ to relax and/or eliminate fees and permit out of state deliveries into NJ.

They best they could do is cancel the game at this point and then you'd have an issue as to making it u[. Both teams do not have the same bye week so that won't work.

Going to the game is a choice, not a command

I have no idea what the last comment means. From the Giant point of view, enticing people to come inherently means some responsibility for what happens to them when it might be common sense to understand that it will likely enhance some hardships already being experienced.

And what? Hot dogs are already cooked? P-izza is already made? Beer is already poured?

I'm telling you, this will not go well for playing this game here on Sunday. It can be moved. People can be refunded tickets easily enough. Tickets valid for scanning at the gate are valid for refunding and for the bulk season tickets, the adjustment is easy.

Your arguments are weak and lack a sense of proportion for what is happening within a few miles around the stadium.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:00 PM
I have no idea what the last comment means. From the Giant point of view, enticing people to come inherently means some responsibility for what happens to them when it might be common sense to understand that it will likely enhance some hardships already being experienced.

And what? Hot dogs are already cooked? ****a is already made? Beer is already poured?

I'm telling you, this will not go well for playing this game here on Sunday. It can be moved. People can be refunded tickets easily enough. Tickets valid for scanning at the gate are valid for refunding and for the bulk season tickets, the adjustment is easy.

Your arguments are weak and lack a sense of proportion for what is happening within a few miles around the stadium.

No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to go to the game

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 02:00 PM

And what? Hot dogs are already cooked? ****a is already made? Beer is already poured?

Your arguments are weak and lack a sense of proportion for what is happening within a few miles around the stadium.Dude, calm down.

It's not like Mayor Bloomberg is forcing everyone in NYC and NJ to go and watch the Giants play.
They don't HAVE to go.

primetime
11-02-2012, 02:01 PM
No one is holding a gun to anyone's head to go to the game
No, they're just holding a gun to people's head while pumping gas.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:03 PM
No, they're just holding a gun to people's head while pumping gas.

And that's the fault of the Giants?

primetime
11-02-2012, 02:04 PM
And that's the fault of the Giants?
Who's referring to the Giants? I'm stating what's going on in New York.

harrycarson
11-02-2012, 02:04 PM
I disagree as well...toe gmen gamesvon Sundays are my escape from reality of work and kids and wife and payments and stresses of line...and and and.....let the gmen do their thing and lets go 7and2....stop listenin to sports radio talk and the pesimistic talk....lets go giants....all in

Jahh
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm baffled by this. IF things are that serious for you, please get off the internet/giants message board and go take care of them.

Imgrate
11-02-2012, 02:07 PM
This scenario isn't unheard of and has happened in our favor twice.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:07 PM
Who's referring to the Giants? I'm stating what is going on in New York.

This is the Giants' Message Boards and the inference was that there was some correlation between the Giants and the gas lines.

The game, as currently scheduled, is going to be played at MetLife. If not, it will be likely canceled and then what? Fans who can and want to go, will. Fans who can't, won't.

Moke
11-02-2012, 02:09 PM
Whatever floats your boat. People are complaining about gas and ****, so why would they go?

Attendance - not many.

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 02:11 PM
I'm baffled by this. IF things are that serious for you, please get off the internet/giants message board and go take care of them.

You are clueless with your simple glib response about something you know nothing about. And your sense of lack of respect for the bigger picture of life is also says something you need to take a look at in your own life. You imply that things aren't that bad... This reminds me of the Jet fan mentality by that escalator a few years ago.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Whatever floats your boat. People are complaining about gas and ****, so why would they go?

Attendance - not many.

I'm going to guess fans will make their decisions based upon their own situations. I would also guess parking won't be a problem

Mod_C
11-02-2012, 02:14 PM
You are clueless with your simple glib response about something you know nothing about. And your sense of lack of respect for the bigger picture of life is also says something you need to take a look at in your own life. You imply that things aren't that bad... This reminds me of the Jet fan mentality by that escalator a few years ago.

Argue your point or not, stop attacking members who disagree with you

joemorrisforprez
11-02-2012, 02:15 PM
If I had a ticket to the game......and no electricity at my house......I'd want to spend the afternoon at the Stadium rooting for the Giants.

I'm guessing most of NJ is going to be watching the games at their buddies house, depending on who has electricity.....and the people with tickets will either go, or give them to friends, depending on their personal situations.

But moving the game would be a logistical nightmare.

Regarding the marathon.....I have mixed views on that.......those cops, firemen, and paramedics shouldn't need to cover that event when so much **** is still going on. But I also understand that if the people of NY want the show to go on, that's their call......they can judge Bloomberg's decision for themselves.

Moke
11-02-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm going to guess fans will make their decisions based upon their own situations. I would also guess parking won't be a problem

Depends who goes yes. A lot of giant fans are probably busy doing and fixing stuff. Who knows? It sucks that people probably bought tickets and now had to resell them because something happened that they had to take care of.

Giantsin04
11-02-2012, 02:18 PM
The Giants game and the Marathon are two totally different situations. The Giants game is an isolated event out of the way. If you want to go, go. It wont effect anyone that doesn't want any part of it. The Marathon on the other hand is smack dab in the middle of devastated neighborhoods. They are closing streets, bridges, gas stations, stores, etc... all thoughout the city so people can run in peace. Having police standing in the street, blocking traffic right next to people waiting on line for food and water is a disgrace.

Cloud57
11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
The Steelers play really good in Pittsburg

Moke
11-02-2012, 02:20 PM
The Giants game and the Marathon are two totally different situations. The Giants game is an isolated event out of the way. If you want to go, go. It wont effect anyone that doesn't want any part of it. The Marathon on the other hand is smack dab in the middle of devastated neighborhoods. They are closing streets, bridges, gas stations, stores, etc... all thoughout the city so people can run in peace. Having police standing in the street, blocking traffic right next to people waiting on line for food and water is a disgrace.

People can't get gas. I'm sure it's still hard to get there

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM
People can't get gas. I'm sure it's still hard to get thereThen don't go lol

Jahh
11-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Yup, I know nothing about whats going on up there. I lack the experience of tragedy and surely an appreciation for it. I'm shocked my simple responses gave that away.

What I know is, people deal with hardship in different ways and it sounds like you want to make that decision for the entire NY/NJ area.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Depends who goes yes. A lot of giant fans are probably busy doing and fixing stuff. Who knows? It sucks that people probably bought tickets and now had to resell them because something happened that they had to take care of.

And I imagine some fans will simply eat the expense because of far more pressing issues

Jahh
11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Sounds like being outraged about a football game is a waste of time for someone with so many other concerns.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:29 PM
Sounds like being outraged about a football game is a waste of time for someone with so many other concerns.

OK. lets just make our points without the psychological/emotoinal sidebar

Moke
11-02-2012, 02:36 PM
And I imagine some fans will simply eat the expense because of far more pressing issues

I'm sure they'd rather pocket a $200+ than eat it up. We're talking fans that lost a lot of stuff.

I forgot, some people here on the GMB must be filthy rich.

Morehead State
11-02-2012, 02:37 PM
Maybe the NFL should refund the ticket cost for those who are enduring hardship and find it tough to go to the game.
Initially, I thought playing the game was fine, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure. The criteria in the past (roof collapse in Minn., Katrina in NO...strangely enough both involving the Giants) has been the simply logistics of putting on the game. It was actually impossible to play in either arena.
This is a case of "is it right" to play there.
Not sure actually. I guess I lean to playing at Metlife, but I can see the other side.

Ruttiger711
11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
Simple - the game will go on

Those who can, will
Those who can't, won't

Those who don't have option and want to dictate what should be done, should stfu.

Morehead State
11-02-2012, 02:40 PM
Simple - the game will go on

Those who can, will
Those who can't, won't

Those who don't have option and want to dictate what should be done, should stfu.
Are you saying those who's lives has been devastated by this storm should just STFU?

I'm sure I'm not understanding this correctly.

Jahh
11-02-2012, 02:42 PM

You're right. It's not necessary. I tend to argue against extreme opinions. It just bothers me that anyone can be so far one way or the other.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:44 PM
I'm sure they'd rather pocket a $200+ than eat it up. We're talking fans that lost a lot of stuff.

I forgot, some people here on the GMB must be filthy rich.

I am going out on a limb and say tickets won't be snapped up as they would ordinarily be on a normal weekend

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:46 PM
You're right. It's not necessary. I tend to argue against extreme opinions. It just bothers me that anyone can be so far one way or the other.

We don't know what anyone's personal situation might be in times like these. Lives have been lost, homes and everything in them gone. The clean up has yet to really begin and I can only believe frustration levels are understandably high.

TheAnalyst
11-02-2012, 02:47 PM
I have a feeling this game will be more Steelers fans then Giants fans. Steeler fans are always present anyway, and now they will be able to get to the game easier then most Giants fans. It's not really important compared to what is going on, but it may be the truth.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 02:48 PM
I have a feeling this game will be more Steelers fans then Giants fans. Steeler fans are always present anyway, and now they will be able to get to the game easier then most Giants fans. It's not really important compared to what is going on, but it may be the truth.

It could well be

Ruttiger711
11-02-2012, 02:51 PM
Are you saying those who's lives has been devastated by this storm should just STFU?

I'm sure I'm not understanding this correctly.

That's reaching a bit.

If people want to go, let them go. Canceling the game because it will "look" bad vs actually being a detriment is silly. To assume someone will decide to take the gas meant for their generator and family and use it to get to the game has got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever read here and the list is long.

I agree it would be a great gesture to give the fans who have tickets a refund. What should NOT happen though is making these tickets available for general sale or even open up the stadium doors - THAT would invite madness.

PETEY006
11-02-2012, 02:53 PM
Don't cancel it. People will find a way to come. Most of Manhattan and North Jersey will get back power by Saturday.

Kendo15
11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I don't live in the area so, as a previous poster said, I don't feel it right to comment.

I would just re-iterate my previous thoughts and good wishes to everyone who has been affected by this.

And if/when/wherever/whenever the game goes on the folks affected can find a wee distraction in it for a few hours.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 03:07 PM
Maybe the NFL should refund the ticket cost for those who are enduring hardship and find it tough to go to the game.
Initially, I thought playing the game was fine, but the more I think about it, I'm not sure. The criteria in the past (roof collapse in Minn., Katrina in NO...strangely enough both involving the Giants) has been the simply logistics of putting on the game. It was actually impossible to play in either arena.
This is a case of "is it right" to play there.
Not sure actually. I guess I lean to playing at Metlife, but I can see the other side.

That's a call for the team I think and I would not be surprised if Mara does exactly that when they see how many people can't attend AND their tickets were not used.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Don't cancel it. People will find a way to come. Most of Manhattan and North Jersey will get back power by Saturday.

You may be right about Jersey getting power back, but lower Manhattan is going to be a huge issue due to sea water corrosion. There are subway stations down by the battery where it's been reported there is still 25 feet of standing sea water.

gfd_2
11-02-2012, 03:11 PM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the game ... something to take my mind of the fact I've been taking sponge baths and trekking out to refill the generator every 8 hours for the last 5 days.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 03:13 PM
Personally, I'm looking forward to the game ... something to take my mind of the fact I've been taking sponge baths and trekking out to refill the generator every 8 hours for the last 5 days.

God Bless

Kendo15
11-02-2012, 03:20 PM

Hope things get easier quick fella, can't begin to imagine what you're going through.

Hang in there.

sharick88
11-02-2012, 03:25 PM

I am on board with them playing the game as scheduled.If they were to move the game at all, I would just move it to either Monday or Tuesday. What is a day or two going to really do? Gives the people who are impacted more time to do what they have to do. Plus it gives Pittsburgh a chance to get their rooms in town and make for a more fair playing field. Personally, I just don't want any excuses at all from anyone if we do win the game

SweetZombieJesus
11-02-2012, 03:38 PM

I have no power (which means no heat and no water for me) and no way to watch the game. No gas stations open by me and I work in Tarrytown and the gas shortage has hit here too -- gas stations either have 4 hour lines or have sold out and shut down.

Morehead State
11-02-2012, 03:39 PM
How about the folks who no longer have homes to power back up?

This is an epic tragedy. Lets not kid ourselves. The holding of the marathon is a disgrace in my view. The runners will be starting in Staten Island within some of the worst hit sites in the northeast. They will be literally running amid ruins. They will be running past folks with shattered lives.
The Giants game is something different. But i don't think its a reach toi suggest that proper pause should be taken to consider the appropriateness of playing the game there.

Giantterp
11-02-2012, 03:53 PM
The real question is around the issue the support of police and emergency support. If by playing the game, it is using valuable resources that could be helping people in need than there is reason to move the game. However, it sounds like the impact is minimal and that's why they are playing the game.

If the were to move it, it would most likely go to a neutral site on Monday night-like the Min NYG game a couple of years ago was played in Detroit.

jomo
11-02-2012, 03:54 PM

Earlier in the week, it might have made sense to keep the game on, under an assumption that things would get back to normal sooner. They haven't. And I don't even live in the swath.Francesa isn't an expert on anything outside of pasta dishes.

Moving the game to Pittsburgh makes no sense whatsoever. It takes a home game away from the Giants and lays a logistical issue on their lap as well. Pittsburgh has logistical issues but they are the visiting team and that goes with the turf. Away teams on Thursday night games are at a huge disadvantage. That is all part of being an away team. I understand why people wouldn't want to go to the game and that's fine, even if the stadium is half full there is nothing wrong with that.

The difference between the marathon and the Giants game fall under several headings. With regard to the marathon, first and foremost enormous public resources are being diverted away from the needy to accomodate the comfort of 30k or 40k athletes about whom, no one gives a rats tail. Running a marathon has a certain panache for people who are runners or who run in social cirles where it's hip to be a citizen of the world. No one on this site can name 3 favorites to win this race, So we've got an event that no one really cares about dominated by foreign born winners sucking enormous resources away from those who need it so much more.

Contrast that with the Giants. Most of the personnel at the Meadowlands are employed by the Stadium Authority or vendors. The State police involvement at the stadium is minimal when compared with what the City has committed to the race.

Lastly, while there may be 2 million people casually be watching the race for 5 minutes each, there will be many millions watching the Giants hoping to take their minds off of the gas lines, the power outages etc while rooting for a team they care deeply about. We need this game and we need it here, even if the stadium is half full.

Go Blue! Go Staten Island!!

Ruttiger711
11-02-2012, 04:05 PM
Francesa isn't an expert on anything outside of pasta dishes.

Moving the game to Pittsburgh makes no sense whatsoever. It takes a home game away from the Giants and lays a logistical issue on their lap as well. Pittsburgh has logistical issues but they are the visiting team and that goes with the turf. Away teams on Thursday night games are at a huge disadvantage. That is all part of being an away team. I understand why people wouldn't want to go to the game and that's fine, even if the stadium is half full there is nothing wrong with that.

The difference between the marathon and the Giants game fall under several headings. With regard to the marathon, first and foremost enormous public resources are being diverted away from the needy to accomodate the comfort of 30k or 40k athletes about whom, no one gives a rats tail. Running a marathon has a certain panache for people who are runners or who run in social cirles where it's hip to be a citizen of the world. No one on this site can name 3 favorites to win this race, So we've got an event that no one really cares about dominated by foreign born winners sucking enormous resources away from those who need it so much more.

Contrast that with the Giants. Most of the personnel at the Meadowlands are employed by the Stadium Authority or vendors. The State police involvement at the stadium is minimal when compared with what the City has committed to the race.

Lastly, while there may be 2 million people casually be watching the race for 5 minutes each, there will be many millions watching the Giants hoping to take their minds off of the gas lines, the power outages etc while rooting for a team they care deeply about. We need this game and we need it here, even if the stadium is half full.

I would imagine there will be quite a bit of attention brought to the aftermath during the broadcast as well...almost like a mini telethon. I'm guessing it will have a presence on all of this weekend's games.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 04:13 PM
As an aside, the team is holding it's annual food drive at this game. It's just a coincidence, but if there was ever a time to share with others, this would be a good time to participate.

http://www.giants.com/news-and-blogs/article-1/Giants--Stop-and-Shop-host-food-drive/30a5aae2-ccab-4c19-ac7e-3e9c03b879d9

jax5338
11-02-2012, 04:17 PM

spot on

Mistanihan
11-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Its up to the ticket holder. If they want to go then it is their choice. I'll watch the game with an empty stadium. They want to continue to prove that the world keeps turning, even after such a terrible storm. If I recall last year, we got dumped on on the 30th and had a game the very next day. Yes, not to the same magnitude of Sandy, but nonetheless a storm which fans and an orginazation overcame and had football Sunday.

Lets go Blue!

Mistanihan
11-02-2012, 04:19 PM

^^^ This 100%

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 04:22 PM
The real question is around the issue the support of police and emergency support. If by playing the game, it is using valuable resources that could be helping people in need than there is reason to move the game. However, it sounds like the impact is minimal and that's why they are playing the game.

If the were to move it, it would most likely go to a neutral site on Monday night-like the Min NYG game a couple of years ago was played in Detroit.

The State Police has jurisdiction at the Stadium as it's on State property. Most of the troopers assigned to the games are on overtime and they are paid by the NJSEA which I am sure gets that back through the land lease or separate agreements with both teams. The NFL had said a day or two ago that they had conferred with local authorities before making a decision.

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 04:31 PM

I couldn't agree more in general on Francesa, except for the gratuitous personal slam you made. In this case, he is specifically railing against the marathon decision today and spot on with regard to that insane decision by the mayor. From what I've heard, he did not come down strong on the Giants game, except a light opinion that it should probably not be played there Sunday as well.

Play the game on Monday night somewhere else. It's not being cancelled and can be logistically handled as we've seen before. That's what makes the most sense. A bigger decision for the NFL is that in the expensive contract with CBS, this just happens to be a marquee matchup which is the only game scheduled for 4 p.m. right now. Had this been a 1 p.m. game against the Browns, I'm sure how it is weighed by the NFL offices would differ.

CBS thus is also a stakeholder in this decision.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 04:35 PM
I couldn't agree more in general on Francesa, except for the gratuitous personal slam you made. In this case, he is specifically railing against the marathon decision today and spot on with regard to that insane decision by the mayor. From what I've heard, he did not come down strong on the Giants game, except a light opinion that it should probably not be played there Sunday as well.

Play the game on Monday night somewhere else. It's not being cancelled and can be logistically handled as we've seen before. That's what makes the most sense. A bigger decision for the NFL is that in the expensive contract with CBS, this just happens to be a marquee matchup which is the only game scheduled for 4 p.m. right now. Had this been a 1 p.m. game against the Browns, I'm sure how it is weighed by the NFL offices would differ.

Monday night won't work as there is already a Monday Night Game between the Eagles and Saints.

Morehead State
11-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Monday night won't work as there is already a Monday Night Game between the Eagles and Saints.
We had a second Monday night game when we played the Vikes 2 years ago.
Having said that I don't think thats the issue. I suppose its pragmatic to have the game as long as it CAN be played. The game vs. NO in 2005 simply couldn't be played there.
But it is a bit uncomfortable. There is just so much misery in the area after a horrific event. No power, no gas, many with no roofs over their heads.

The marathon?...........That's a pure disgrace.

Giantsin04
11-02-2012, 04:41 PM

I don't get what your problem is with the game? It is at an isolated location that does not take resources away from the victims.

Direct your issues toward the marathon. That makes sense. That is justified.

RoanokeFan
11-02-2012, 04:44 PM
Having said that I don't think thats the issue. I suppose its pragmatic to have the game as long as it CAN be played. The game vs. NO in 2005 simply couldn't be played there.
But it is a bit uncomfortable. There is just so much misery in the area after a horrific event. No power, no gas, many with no roofs over their heads.

I can see the marathon being postponed as it's a single event that doesn't rely on any other schedules. However, it does bring in millions in revenue to the City that they include in their budgetary process. It's a tough call and I'd probably postpone it if it were up to me, but I don't get to make any serious decisions.

jax5338
11-02-2012, 04:46 PM

i live on Long Island and thankfully, aside from my backyard awning going down and my power still being out, everything is okay as far as me an my loved ones.

that being said I NEED this game this weekend. i have been going crazy in my dark house and have to go to my brother's a few towns over just to shower (and watch the game if i dont get power back by sunday). i was lamost happy to go into work yesterday and today just to be in some light. it is just a depressing week and i could use a boost.

for me, (and I'm sure many others) the giants and football in general are what make us ahppy and help take our minds off of whatever it is for a few magical hours per week.

jomo
11-02-2012, 04:47 PM

CBS thus is also a stakeholder in this decision.You are right about my Francesa comment. I took an off point shot at him and should have simply said that his analysis of all things sports are largely disrespected and left it at that.I guess we will disagree on the topic of moving the game. I think the fan base needs this game and any move harms the Giants. I could live with a Monday night game home if it gave eveyrone a little extra wiggle room to get to the game. Play it at home and win it at home. Go Blue!!

bELIeve_in_Giants
11-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Here's an FYI for any of you who are going to try to go to the game - they are offering free parking and shuttle services

Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
Giants will offer free parking/shuttle to stadium at 2 spots: Secaucus train station parking lot, 20 Murray Hill Parkway in Rutherford. #nyg

Giantsin04
11-02-2012, 04:49 PM

here here.

The football game... ehh, I think no harm no foul.

The marathon?? This is so bad. Wait until some jackass is riding his motorcycle behind some runners, right next to a family that has no power, heat, food, and water, handing out food and water to the RUNNERS.

bELIeve_in_Giants
11-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Jenny Vrentas ‏@JennyVrentas
Very limited cash parking at MetLife lots. Also, N.J. Transit bus No. 351 (Meadowlands express) will run to/from Port Authority. #nyg

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 04:51 PM
i live on Long Island and thankfully, aside from my backyard awning going down and my power still being out, everything is okay as far as me an my loved ones.

that being said I NEED this game this weekend. i have been going crazy in my dark house and have to go to my brother's a few towns over just to shower (and watch the game if i dont get power back by sunday). i was lamost happy to go into work yesterday and today just to be in some light. it is just a depressing week and i could use a boost.

for me, (and I'm sure many others) the giants and football in general are what make us ahppy and help take our minds off of whatever it is for a few magical hours per week.

Absolutely, as far as game on. Absolutely the marathon is a disgrace of epic proportions vs. this being a much lesser issue relatively speaking. But the game can be on TV from anywhere and, in my opinion, needs to be elsewhere, possibly put off to Monday night. The advantage to Pittsburgh is that the nfl can collect near full gate (as well as the Giants getting their share) receipts vs. a Detroit neutral site situation.

Morehead State
11-02-2012, 05:08 PM

As i said I have no real problem playing the game. You will admit that its a bit surreal playing amid all this heartbreak.

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 05:15 PM
And now, just hearing the announcement that the marathon has been postponed, it brings the Giants playing the game at their home more into the spotlight.

Well, CBS?

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 05:26 PM
And now, just hearing the announcement that the marathon has been postponed, it brings the Giants playing the game at their home more into the spotlight.

Well, CBS?It's been said numerous times.

If people want to go to the game, then they can go.
If people do NOT want to go to the game, then they don't have to go.

It's not that hard.

Ruttiger711
11-02-2012, 05:31 PM

Well, CBS?

The marathon would gobble up resources that would be best suited to aid those affected - according to Christie the game will not. So what's the issue?

The spotlight will bring great attention and possibly more donations.

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 05:31 PM
The marathon would gobble up resources that would be best suited to aid those affected - according to Christie the game will not. So what's the issue?

The spotlight will bring great attention and possibly more donations.They are also holding a food drive before the game at Metlife too.

ozzie0075
11-02-2012, 05:38 PM

Well, CBS?

Its a much different situation than the marathon and comparing the 2 cases is dumb. So many more resources are used for the marathon including Fire and Police to close of the the route and crowd control. The game will and should be played at MetLife.

bELIeve_in_Giants
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
The marathan would actually take place through some of the most devastated areas where the stadium is away from things. I don't expect it to be full and I hope they can help compensate ticket holders who can't make it.

Eli TO Shockey
11-02-2012, 05:49 PM
I would assume ticket prices have dropped? If not...then no one seems to have an issue with going to Giants stadium. Can't seem to think of a better way to escape the aftermath of Sandy than to go watch the GMEN play for a few hours.

Eli TO Shockey
11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
The marathan would actually take place through some of the most devastated areas where the stadium is away from things. I don't expect it to be full and I hope they can help compensate ticket holders who can't make it.

Im sure there are MANY who would jump at the opportunity to purchase Giants tickets at face value.

Eli TO Shockey
11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
It's been said numerous times.

If people want to go to the game, then they can go.
If people do NOT want to go to the game, then they don't have to go.

It's not that hard.

Exactly. And if you dont want to/cant go, then sell your tickets.

bigblue58
11-02-2012, 05:52 PM

I totally agree!

PETEY006
11-02-2012, 05:54 PM
ticket prices are still pretty pricey on stubhub. I'm expecting that the game attendance will be just fine.

Rudyy
11-02-2012, 05:56 PM
http://sulia.com/source/46381/f/32464bb5-d4f3-4f9c-a816-ddfc8c2c41eb/?source=twitter&guid=32464bb5-d4f3-4f9c-a816-ddfc8c2c41eb

FBomb
11-02-2012, 05:57 PM
eh....move it, don't move it....people are going to be pissed no matter what. I would rather they play the game and use the air time to help get donations for the Red Cross.......

http://www.redcross.org/hurricane-sandy?scode=RSG00000E017&subcode=paiddonationsbrand&gclid=CP-93d-xsLMCFYKK4AodT0kAjw

Far be it from me to speak for anyone going through such a tragic event, like a few of you have want to do, but maybe a distraction is what people need. A chance to feel normal for a little while. See people you haven't seen since the storm....touch base. Connect. People need help and maybe it's chance to find out how you can help a friend. Even if it's just one person you were able to help. Instead of sitting at home watching a game on TV, get out there out there and feed some people at your tailgate that has had a hard time getting a decent meal lately ....give a beer to a guy who could REALLY use it.

Giants games are communal. It's not like standing around a bunch of strangers watching people run down the street. We're Giants fans....we're family!

BlueJayC
11-02-2012, 06:02 PM
Should be a ton of tickets. Just heard train service has been cancelled leaving a bunch of season ticket holders in the lurch. Forget moving the game.....if they move it I can't watch it because 90% of Hoboken has no power.

hungrrrry
11-02-2012, 06:09 PM
I think people should let those people decide for themselves...right now I believe all the talking heads on radio and TV are just trying to make a mountain out of a molehill...should we freeze everything in the area just to not offend anyone??? Gas prices nor fuel prices don't drop in the dead of winter because the suppliers are afraid of offending anyone, why should a game be cancelled??? The Marathon should reroute a bit if it runs through heavily affected areas but it should continue....There are hundreds of millions of dollars going into the state related to the marathon...training and planning by hundreds of people should be for nothing???

Get real and let life continue as it should!

ozzie0075
11-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Just heard on NFL 32 that Goodell spoke Christie to make sure the game would not divert and resources from the recovery effort. Christie said the game would not and supported the game being still played at MetLife. The Giants plan to help raise money for the RedCross at the game as well.

stormblue
11-02-2012, 06:39 PM
granted.....the entire area is traffic jammed and out of gas and a total cluster-flip.
but i would submit that most of that is people trying to get back to work and go about
getting on with life.
you can't tell me that all that traffic is just first responders .
yet people would argue that their office job or whatever normal job they are
stuck in traffic trying to get to is a legitimate reason for being out there ,sucking
up unnecessary gas and clogging the city when they don't work hospitals or emergency related.
we all know better.

yet these same people cry "foul" when football players and camera men and concessionists
would like to go do their jobs and support their families ? a whole week later ?

or to imply that some people who have no power should not be allowed to go to the game or listen to it on radio or watch it
on smart devices , or go gather at someone's place that has a generator to enjoy a game and gain some respit from Sandy.

or for those that can actually make it to the game should not go just because someone else can't ?

what a double standard.

the game will be played ,,,,,,too much money and logistics involved.
the morality issue is being over-spun......Sandy was not 9/11

the bigger issue that everyone is overlooking is will Goodell impose the blackout if we don't sell out.

GreenZone
11-02-2012, 06:47 PM
the bigger issue that everyone is overlooking is will Goodell impose the blackout if we don't sell out..

The game is already sold out and Goodell would lift the blackout under these circumstances if it wasn't.

idiotekniQues
11-02-2012, 06:50 PM
the game will probably divert some police resources not matter which side of this you are on. resources that could be used in places like, well, gas stations, where they are stationed practically at every one right now, even the closed ones. on the flip side, it's not even close to the NYC marathon. not even close

as far as for the fans, moving this to Pittsburgh would make it impossible for pretty much any fans in NY/NJ to go. so keeping it here is better for the fans.

personally, i'm looking forward to football on sunday, as a nice change of pace from this storm. it would be a different story if i had runners jogging by my war-ravaged neighborhood and an insane amount of police/medical resources diverted to take care of the marathon.

stormblue
11-02-2012, 06:50 PM
The game is already sold out and Goodell would lift the blackout under these circumstances if it wasn't.

thanks GZ.....glad to hear as i am one of the ones who will be watching it from my ipad .
well it's not sunday yet....my cable might be back up by then, ya never know.

GMENAGAIN
11-02-2012, 07:04 PM

I haven't had power since Monday night and could care less about the heat and embarassment as long as we get the win . . . . sorry

Captain Chaos
11-02-2012, 09:10 PM
Interesting thought, are you like on drugs?

moosedrool
11-02-2012, 11:08 PM
Move the game to Pittsburgh

Why don't you move to Pittsburgh?

BlueSanta
11-03-2012, 12:21 AM
People are arguing that they cannot get to the game for a vareity of reasons:gas, power, train, etc. These are all legit reasons.

However, how does moving the game to Pitt solve any of those specific problems? You still wouldn't be able to go for the same reasons and an added one, it would be very far away.

I live in Florida, I completely understand the problems facing the northeast as I have been through similar situations multiple times. But, moving a game that can be played is not the solution. In fact, it makes the problem worse. There are people working those games who NEED that paycheck and the local economies would suffer worse if the game were moved. The best solution is to make life go on, unless of course it was dangerous. In this case, I see no reason having a game would be dangerous to fans and employees.

If you cannot go, nobody would think less of you for selling your ticket under these circumstances. It is only a game meant to take people's mind off their troubles. But, there really is no reason to cancel it at this time.