PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Phillips Out Again vs. Pittsburgh.....

Cool Papa B.
11-04-2012, 10:33 AM
Giants safety Kenny Phillips will miss his fifth consecutive game today, as he continues to nurse a knee injury he suffered September 30 in a contest with the Eagles.

Despite practicing on a limited basis with the team Thursday and Friday, and telling reporters he would suit up, league sources confirmed Phillips will not see the field against the Steelers.

As expected, Stevie Brown, the reigning NFC Defensive Player of the Week and team leader in interceptions, will start at safety.

http://snygiants.com/pittsburgh-steelers/kenny-phillips-out-again-v-steelers/

B-Red22
11-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Giants safety Kenny Phillips will miss his fifth consecutive game today, as he continues to nurse a knee injury he suffered September 30 in a contest with the Eagles.

Despite practicing on a limited basis with the team Thursday and Friday, and telling reporters he would suit up, league sources confirmed Phillips will not see the field against the Steelers.

As expected, Stevie Brown, the reigning NFC Defensive Player of the Week and team leader in interceptions, will start at safety.

http://snygiants.com/pittsburgh-steelers/kenny-phillips-out-again-v-steelers/

I guess with Brown doing so well the coaching staff feels very comfortable giving KP some extra rest.

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 10:37 AM
can someone pass the crying towel over this way..........I was really looking forward to our best Defender riding the pine........you cannot defend your D player of the week title from the bench and ST

LOL

FIFTY6G-MAN
11-04-2012, 10:42 AM
can someone pass the crying towel over this way..........I was really looking forward to our best Defender riding the pine........you cannot defend your D player of the week title from the bench and ST

LOLI was looking forward to all three on the field at the same time.

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 10:44 AM
I was looking forward to all three on the field at the same time.

would rarely happen........you are talking nickle and dime only

TextureDj
11-04-2012, 10:54 AM
would rarely happen........you are talking nickle and dime only3 Safety's was our base Defense most of last season so I dont know where that comes from.

In a three safety set one safety plays in the box making it effective against all but a true power running game. Its not like a Nickle where you tend to have an extra corner in place of a backer. I can all but assure you that when these three are healthy you will see the 3 safety's alot, not just on tee off passing downs.

hungrrrry
11-04-2012, 11:00 AM

http://snygiants.com/pittsburgh-steelers/kenny-phillips-out-again-v-steelers/Though I am not crazy about it, I was actually looking forward to the 3 safety sets...better that he's fully recovered though.

titwio
11-04-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm all in favor of resting KP till after the bye. Brown has filled in great so no need to rush Phillips to play. I much rather have him for the late season run and the playoffs (If I may be so bold).

Captain Chaos
11-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I think we can win with out him but he will needed down the stretch!

talbot
11-04-2012, 11:20 AM
I'd have him sit until the bye week. Phillips is a great contributor to the defense, despite BParcell's delusional ramblings. However, Brown is making plays for the defense, and while it'd be nice to get KP in on the 3 safety set (especially with the LBs being banged up/no depth), it's not a make or break injury for this week.

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 11:52 AM
3 Safety's was our base Defense most of last season so I dont know where that comes from.

In a three safety set one safety plays in the box making it effective against all but a true power running game. Its not like a Nickle where you tend to have an extra corner in place of a backer. I can all but assure you that when these three are healthy you will see the 3 safety's alot, not just on tee off passing downs.

Is that why we could not stop the pass at all last year??? Who knew......Thank you very much for sending us Stevie Brown oh football God's

WEG313
11-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I guess with Brown doing so well the coaching staff feels very comfortable giving KP some extra rest.

As well as Brown has played, he's really a free safety (ball hawk centerfielder) and not a strong safety capable of covering TEs and defending the run game. His skills are complimentary-- but far from an adequate substitute-- for Kenny Phillips. KP and J.Williams are the only two guys we have capable of covering and shutting down the opposing teams' TEs....and they are once again both out. Until they return our defense is vulnerable and can be exposed by any team with an elite TE an/or quality short passing game.

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm all in favor of resting KP till after the bye. Brown has filled in great so no need to rush Phillips to play. I much rather have him for the late season run and the playoffs (If I may be so bold).

You can no longer call Stevie Brown a fill in........he is playing at a Pro Bowl level..........and he has enough games under his belt now that we know it is no Fluke

WEG313
11-04-2012, 11:55 AM
The press continues to focus on players out for other teams, but the Giants' D continues to be decimated with 3 key players out (KP, JW, and now Chase Blackburn). And you wonder why our D isn't playing up to expectation?

WEG313
11-04-2012, 11:57 AM
You can no longer call Stevie Brown a fill in........he is playing at a Pro Bowl level..........and he has enough games under his belt now that we know it is no Fluke

Yes, but as a free safety; not a strong safety. He does not adequately replace the skillset that KP brings to the table.

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 12:00 PM
As well as Brown has played, he's really a free safety (ball hawk centerfielder) and not a strong safety capable of covering TEs and defending the run game. His skills are complimentary-- but far from an adequate substitute-- for Kenny Phillips. KP and J.Williams are the only two guys we have capable of covering and shutting down the opposing teams' TEs....and they are once again both out. Until they return our defense is vulnerable and can be exposed by any team with an elite TE an/or quality short passing game.

Really suxx to be NFL Defensive player of the week and yet be such an incompitent huh?

WEG313
11-04-2012, 12:05 PM
Really suxx to be NFL Defensive player of the week and yet be such an incompitent huh?

I suggest a course in reading comprehension. No one is knocking the job Stevie Brown has done; he's exceeded all expectations. However, until KP (and/or J.Williams) returns, we are effectively playing without a strong safety or anyone capable of adequately covering a quality TE...and this is a major hole in our defense that can be-- and has been-- easily exposed.

BillTheGreek
11-04-2012, 12:08 PM
I think we can win with out him but he will needed down the stretch!

+1

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Blackburn had Witten pretty much in check until he went down........Witten like most good TEs gets open by pushing off, and he gets away with it.....he is very strong

So is Blackburn. We'll see if Herzlich can handle a TE...........Pierce was never able to handle the weakest TE's

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I suggest a course in reading comprehension. No one is knocking the job Stevie Brown has done; he's exceeded all expectations. However, until KP (and/or J.Williams) returns, we are effectively playing without a strong safety or anyone capable of adequately covering a quality TE...and this is a major hole in our defense that can be-- and has been-- easily exposed.

I'd have to research that....up until Blackburn went down I cannot recall any TE hurting us this year.......none

RoanokeFan
11-04-2012, 12:17 PM
It's good we have Stevie Brown. Now I wish Williams was active though

Toadofsteel
11-04-2012, 12:22 PM
I hope KP gets the rest he needs. We REALLY need him down the stretch. I agree that KP's skill set compliments Stevie quite well. It will be a beauty to see our 3 safety set when they're all healthy.

BParcells777
11-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Williams only occasionaly covered TEs........he is very good at it, but he was not even a starter

BlueMonstaahhs
11-04-2012, 12:30 PM
We all forgot how well Will Hill was doing before he was suspended as well. I hope that doesn't hinder his progression but he seemed like a very hungry kid. I am very excited for all 4 of these safeties to be firing on all cylinders.