PDA

View Full Version : Tampa Bay Got Our Back

oldsmobile
11-05-2012, 01:44 AM
I wanted Doug Martin so bad in the past draft !!!!
Tampa jumped in front of us ,and of course grab him up.
Did you see what he did today , 240+ yatds rushing .
Wilson , next pick by GIANTS , fumbles first game , now doesn't touch ball on offense.

Overdrive92
11-05-2012, 01:45 AM
It's still a little early to tell, but Martin has looked downright nasty, and has shown signs that he could morph into one of the league's elite backs in a couple years.

Cloud57
11-05-2012, 01:50 AM
We have no idea if Wislon it better or worst than Martin since he hasn't played a full game.

njersey
11-05-2012, 02:25 AM
We have no idea if Wislon it better or worst than Martin since he hasn't played a full game.

I know! What the heck is the point of this thread?

We need to bring back the "Ignore" button.

Flip Empty
11-05-2012, 03:03 AM
IWe need to bring back the "Ignore" button.
Hover over a username - view profile - add to ignore list?

BlueSanta
11-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Martin wouldnt be playing for us either because TC doesn't play rookie backs.

nycsportzfan
11-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Martin wouldnt be playing for us either because TC doesn't play rookie backs. What do u mean? He tried playing David Wilson early on, but David Wilson did nothing to show he was making a good decison except drop passes directly thrown to him and fumble..lol If he would of done something or anything early on in his opp's, he'd of found a role and that would of given Wilson a chance(if hes good enough) to show his stuff.. Theres not a team int he NFL that would not be playing Doug Martin in some capacity.. Hes more of a complete back then David Wilson.. In my opinion, hes probably just better.. The guy was running through the raiders without Carl Nicks yesterday and destroyed Minnesota last week.. Tampa got us, and as i've always stated, i think the bucs got us good and moved in front of us, and Reese would of taken Doug Martin if he was on the board..

I sure hope Reese would of anyways, because its pretty bad if he was thinking David Wilson over Doug Martin...

nycsportzfan
11-05-2012, 12:00 PM
Just about every time we've tried to incorporate David Wilson, he either gets stuffed behind the line or drops a pass or fumbles.. The only time hes done anything remotley close to positive, was in garbage time... Thats why hes not playing more, simply put...

nostrildamus
11-05-2012, 01:16 PM
What do u mean? He tried playing David Wilson early on, but David Wilson did nothing to show he was making a good decison except drop passes directly thrown to him and fumble..lol If he would of done something or anything early on in his opp's, he'd of found a role and that would of given Wilson a chance(if hes good enough) to show his stuff.. Theres not a team int he NFL that would not be playing Doug Martin in some capacity.. Hes more of a complete back then David Wilson.. In my opinion, hes probably just better.. The guy was running through the raiders without Carl Nicks yesterday and destroyed Minnesota last week.. Tampa got us, and as i've always stated, i think the bucs got us good and moved in front of us, and Reese would of taken Doug Martin if he was on the board..

I sure hope Reese would of anyways, because its pretty bad if he was thinking David Wilson over Doug Martin...

I think Wilson's proven he can secure the ball on kickoff returns

egyptian420
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
What do u mean? He tried playing David Wilson early on, but David Wilson did nothing to show he was making a good decison except drop passes directly thrown to him and fumble..lol If he would of done something or anything early on in his opp's, he'd of found a role and that would of given Wilson a chance(if hes good enough) to show his stuff.. Theres not a team int he NFL that would not be playing Doug Martin in some capacity.. Hes more of a complete back then David Wilson.. In my opinion, hes probably just better.. The guy was running through the raiders without Carl Nicks yesterday and destroyed Minnesota last week.. Tampa got us, and as i've always stated, i think the bucs got us good and moved in front of us, and Reese would of taken Doug Martin if he was on the board..

I sure hope Reese would of anyways, because its pretty bad if he was thinking David Wilson over Doug Martin...I think you're being a bit too harsh on someone who's full potential has yet to be observed.

I'll admit, I was Very high on Martin and wanted him big time in the draft, and TB DID steal that pick, I don't care what Reese says. But despite all of that, I think it's way too early to say who's the better back yet when we haven't even seen what Wilson can do. I don't think anyone would've disagreed that Wilson isn't as NFL-ready as Martin, but we'll see what he can do when he's more reliable (in the eyes of Coughlin at least).

In terms of who is better, Martin has certainly set the bar really high and he could very well be the better back, I just don't think we can say that now. I think Wilson has huge potential and I really can't wait until he gets more carries.

idiotekniQues
11-05-2012, 01:59 PM
Martin looks great. but we have no idea of what wilson can do, the guy barely gets carries. martin gets carries and can get into a rhythm. wilson gets a couple of touches a game.

Eliscruzzz
11-05-2012, 02:02 PM
David Wilson hasn't even played at RB, yet how is any of this his fault. He's lucky if he gets 2 carries a game. In reality we have no idea what this kid can do.

ALLnygIN
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Just about every time we've tried to incorporate David Wilson, he either gets stuffed behind the line or drops a pass or fumbles.. The only time hes done anything remotley close to positive, was in garbage time... Thats why hes not playing more, simply put...

well duh, when the kid is in for a snap or two no **** the defense is going to know he's going to touch the ball. Leave the kid in there for a couple of series, then we can determine what he has to offer. It's no shock when you see David wilson in the back field one or two plays chances are hes touching it.... simply put

TheEnigma
11-05-2012, 03:01 PM
All I know is that lots of people tried to prop up Wilson on this board by downplaying Martin's ability by saying he already hit his ceiling or whatever. So much for that lol...

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 03:10 PM
If the Giants had drafted Martin, he would be on the bench.

GameTime
11-05-2012, 03:14 PM
Wilson , next pick by GIANTS , fumbles first game , now doesn't touch ball on offense.

dumb post

dakotajoe
11-05-2012, 03:32 PM
Martin wouldnt be playing for us either because TC doesn't play rookie backs.

Quoted for truth. The Giants are too loyal towards veterans of the organization. JPP didn't get much playing time his first year. David Wilson has been far from a bust, he's made a few big plays already. He dropped a ball on a pass while running through the middle of the field which is pretty common.

Doug Martin leads the league with 8 drops, don't get me wrong he's beastly but he's far from perfect.

GiantWarfare
11-05-2012, 04:15 PM
Doug Martin already looks like one of the best backs in the NFL. Wilson has elite potential but the dude gets NO BURN whatsoever. I actually feel bad for the kid, he's a 1st round pick and gets no playing time aside from return duty.

sharick88
11-05-2012, 04:25 PM
Maybe we'll find out what we have in Wilson if we actually let him play the RB position.

sharick88
11-05-2012, 04:26 PM
Quoted for truth. The Giants are too loyal towards veterans of the organization. JPP didn't get much playing time his first year. David Wilson has been far from a bust, he's made a few big plays already. He dropped a ball on a pass while running through the middle of the field which is pretty common.

Doug Martin leads the league with 8 drops, don't get me wrong he's beastly but he's far from perfect.

NYG standard operating procedures state that rookies only get to play if there is absolutely no other choice in the matter.

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Wilson could be a better player then Martin, but we probably will never know because the guy doesn't get much opportunities.

Greg Schiano
11-05-2012, 05:26 PM
Wilson could be a better player then Martin, but we probably will never know because the guy doesn't get much opportunities.

Douglas as I like to call him, has done some things that some of the greatest haven't done (Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, etc). He's a true force for us and I am very grateful we moved up and got our guy. No offense, but I would have preferred Martin over Wilson.

Oakland and Minnesota had some great defenses, and our line is missing it's pro-bowl guards. We were starting Jamon Meredith at guard. Thanks for Meredith, another former Giant we stole. ;)

The Tampa Bay Giants are looking pretty good at 4-4. :cool:

nycsportzfan
11-06-2012, 08:18 AM

Doug Martin leads the league with 8 drops, don't get me wrong he's beastly but he's far from perfect. thats not true.. Are u guys not seeing Rueben Randle out there week in and week out? Are u guys not seeing Jayron Hosley out there week in and week out? Sure, theres some injurys, but there out there none the less.. He uses guys who will help us win and don't make bonehead mistakes.. I mean, jaquain williams played as a rook, as did Ahmad Bradshaw toward end of season, as did Aaron Ross, as did Hakeem Nicks, as did KIWI, as do lots of guys.. Sure, maybe they don't play a ton but they certainly play and David Wilson got jumped over by Andre Brown.. if u guys remember he was the guy that first came in for Ahmad in GAME1 of the season because of his play in the preseason, but he fumbled immedietly and dropped some passes early on, and pretty much has been in doghouse ever since.. Then the rare times they bring em in, he gets tackled behind the line..

nycsportzfan
11-06-2012, 08:22 AM
well duh, when the kid is in for a snap or two no **** the defense is going to know he's going to touch the ball. Leave the kid in there for a couple of series, then we can determine what he has to offer. It's no shock when you see David wilson in the back field one or two plays chances are hes touching it.... simply put well duh, he fumbled immedietly in the first game of the season when he came in as the 2nd string to only ahmad bradshaw.. And then he dropped a few easy passes in the next couple weeks.. He was jumped by Andre Brown, because of his inability to do anything positive at all early on, and now in limited opps, of course its hard for em, but thats the bridge he built for himself.. He had a golden opp right there for taking because of his good preseason, and was the first back in for Ahmad in WK1, but fumbled it away..

Obviously he'll get more opps down the line and hes very intriguing, and i think he'll be a solid DUO back, but Doug Martin is the kinda back that can do it all, including carry a team for a entire game, which is rare in this league anymore...

jakegibbs
11-06-2012, 08:31 AM

Didn't Pit do that a few years back when they drafted Wallace the WR that broke the Giants back Sunday?

Cool Papa B.
11-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I have to take what Martin did with a grain of salt. I mean, it was the Raiders they were playing. Their defense hasn't been fierce in years. It's not like Martin was facing Lyle Alzado, John Matuszak or Howie Long. But with that being said, 200 yards is impressive.

No one can fairly say the Giants made a mistake, or Wilson is a bust. WAAAAAY too early for that.

Flip Empty
11-06-2012, 11:06 AM
I have to take what Martin did with a grain of salt. I mean, it was the Raiders they were playing. Their defense hasn't been fierce in years. It's not like Martin was facing Lyle Alzado, John Matuszak or Howie Long. But with that being said, 200 yards is impressive.
Don't forget he had 200+ total yards and 2 TDs vs Minnesota as well. They were good against the run up until that game.

nycsportzfan
11-07-2012, 08:02 AM
Don't forget he had 200+ total yards and 2 TDs vs Minnesota as well. They were good against the run up until that game. well not to mention, its not like he just had a good game against the raiders, he went into the record books agianst the raiders.. So as bad as they are against the run or whatever, no one else did what he did against em, so i don't get how u take it with a grain of salt??lol

Redeyejedi
11-07-2012, 08:09 AM
Martin sees the field much better then Wilson, instincts and vision are far superior. Thats more important then physical skill at RB which Wilson has oodles of. Great balance and Running a 4.3 is worthless if u cant see how blocks develop in front of U

Buddy333
11-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Their coach also like to run the ball and I think they are built better for the run than the Giants.

nycsportzfan
11-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Martin sees the field much better then Wilson, instincts and vision are far superior. Thats more important then physical skill at RB which Wilson has oodles of. Great balance and Running a 4.3 is worthless if u cant see how blocks develop in front of U agreed.. Pure Speed mostly helps after u made moves/broke tackles/found opening and got into open field..etc And even then ur talking about a split second diffrence.. I'd rather the guy who has the balance and vision and is a split second slower personally.. I like speed as much as the next guy but its a big overrated at certain positons.. To be honest, its hard to really use ur speed if ur not good at like everything else that it takes to be a RB anyways...

dakotajoe
11-07-2012, 11:49 AM
agreed.. Pure Speed mostly helps after u made moves/broke tackles/found opening and got into open field..etc And even then ur talking about a split second diffrence.. I'd rather the guy who has the balance and vision and is a split second slower personally.. I like speed as much as the next guy but its a big overrated at certain positons.. To be honest, its hard to really use ur speed if ur not good at like everything else that it takes to be a RB anyways...

Martin isn't a "split second" slower than Wilson, he's WAY slower. I agree that I'd take someone with tremendous balance and vision over speed but frankly Wilson has great balance as well. He led the NCAA in yards after initial contact last year which doesn't happen without a certain skill set.

I'm not saying if given the choice I'd select Wilson over Martin, what I'm trying to say is Wilson has flashed his potential on numerous occasions this year. If the Bucs selected Wilson he'd have plenty of success this season.

nycsportzfan
11-07-2012, 12:07 PM
Martin isn't a "split second" slower than Wilson, he's WAY slower. I agree that I'd take someone with tremendous balance and vision over speed but frankly Wilson has great balance as well. He led the NCAA in yards after initial contact last year which doesn't happen without a certain skill set.

I'm not saying if given the choice I'd select Wilson over Martin, what I'm trying to say is Wilson has flashed his potential on numerous occasions this year. If the Bucs selected Wilson he'd have plenty of success this season. Doug Martin was a very good KR at Boise St as well.. Hes as fast as anyone in the open field, and thats just the way it is.. He isn't way slower even in timed 40 which means very little to be honest... What'd martin run a 4.47 and wilson a 4flat?? Theres a reason that Martin avg'd 34yrds per KR last yr and has about 7or8 runs of 20plus in the past 4games and is equally as effective running right, middle or left, as hes had a long of 70 running right side, a long of 67running left, and a long of 46 up the middle.. Hes simply fast, and the diffrence is hes got the most important things going for him, which is balance, vision(shown on KR duties to a tee last yr), power, and he blocks well..

dakotajoe
11-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Agreed on that point. I have to say Martin is very impressive, he's got a little bit of Tiki in him. He has incredible acceleration, balance, I don't know how he finds some of the holes that he does.

nycsportzfan
11-07-2012, 12:38 PM
Agreed on that point. I have to say Martin is very impressive, he's got a little bit of Tiki in him. He has incredible acceleration, balance, I don't know how he finds some of the holes that he does. I compared em as next in line to the MJD's and Ray Rice type backs.. But to be honest, maybe a tad better, and i knew GM's weren't gonna fall flat on there faces and let another Rice or MJD fall to the 2nd rd.. But as far as compactly built, pass catching, solid blocking, do everything, squatty strong, good balance type backs, which is what i think, when i think of Rice and MJD, i also think of Doug Martin..