PDA

View Full Version : What Happened To Eli Manning And The Giants' Passing Game?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 08:35 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/what_happened_to_eli_manning_a.html#incart_river)

Excerpt: "Well, on the bright side, Eli Manning won’t have to answer those pesky questions about being the league’s MVP for a while.

He was so bad in this 24-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday, you worried that Giants fans might forget what team they were watching and start chanting for Tim Tebow.

We kid, of course. Manning has cemented his place among the elite quarterbacks in the league, a debate ended last season with a parade through the Canyon of Heroes. He’ll bounce back, probably sooner than later.

Still, it’s hard not to watch the last couple weeks and wonder what happened to the passing game that was ripping apart the league early in the season. The man in charge certainly is.

“We’ve got to get him back on track,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’s our guy, (and) we’ve got to get him back to the way he was playing a couple weeks ago and do it in a hurry.”

Those are strong words from a coach whose team is still 6-3 and atop the NFC East, and they’re not unwarranted. Manning’s numbers Sunday were downright Sanchezesque. He was 10-for-24 for 125 yards — his lowest total since 119 in a meaningless game to end the 2008 season — with an interception.

It’s not just one game that concerns Coughlin, either. His quarterback rating has dropped each of the last five weeks, from 103.3 in a laugher over the Browns to 41.1 Sunday. The yards per pass play Sunday, as high as 10 during the season, bottomed out at 5.21 against the Pittsburgh defense." Read more...

bigblue58
11-05-2012, 08:39 AM
yeah...he's been bad..tell us something we don't know!
This thread is a waste of space!

jakegibbs
11-05-2012, 08:42 AM
http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2...l#incart_river (http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/what_happened_to_eli_manning_a.html#incart_river)

Excerpt: "Well, on the bright side, Eli Manning won’t have to answer those pesky questions about being the league’s MVP for a while.

He was so bad in this 24-20 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers Sunday, you worried that Giants fans might forget what team they were watching and start chanting for Tim Tebow.

We kid, of course. Manning has cemented his place among the elite quarterbacks in the league, a debate ended last season with a parade through the Canyon of Heroes. He’ll bounce back, probably sooner than later.

Still, it’s hard not to watch the last couple weeks and wonder what happened to the passing game that was ripping apart the league early in the season. The man in charge certainly is.

“We’ve got to get him back on track,” coach Tom Coughlin said. “He’s our guy, (and) we’ve got to get him back to the way he was playing a couple weeks ago and do it in a hurry.”

Those are strong words from a coach whose team is still 6-3 and atop the NFC East, and they’re not unwarranted. Manning’s numbers Sunday were downright Sanchezesque. He was 10-for-24 for 125 yards — his lowest total since 119 in a meaningless game to end the 2008 season — with an interception.

It’s not just one game that concerns Coughlin, either. His quarterback rating has dropped each of the last five weeks, from 103.3 in a laugher over the Browns to 41.1 Sunday. The yards per pass play Sunday, as high as 10 during the season, bottomed out at 5.21 against the Pittsburgh defense." Read more...

It's called press coverage & the inability of the current reciever corp to break through it & get open. TC read this line... Start putting at least 1 WR in motion pre snap & good things will begin to happen sooner than later.

bigblue58
And not for nothing, but why are talking heads and sports pages in other cities suddenly so eager to point out how many drops other elite QB's receivers had in a game,to deflect blame away from them, yet when Eli's receivers have a ton of drops..its just Eli that was bad?

RoanokeFan
yeah...he's been bad..tell us something we don't know!
This thread is a waste of space!

Why is that?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 08:43 AM
And not for nothing, but why are talking heads and sports pages in other cities suddenly so eager to point out how many drops other elite QB's receivers had in a game, yet when Eli's receivers have a ton of drops..its just Eli that was bad?

Do you think Eli has been playing well lately?

brad
11-05-2012, 08:48 AM
And not for nothing, but why are talking heads and sports pages in other cities suddenly so eager to point out how many drops other elite QB's receivers had in a game,to deflect blame away from them, yet when Eli's receivers have a ton of drops..its just Eli that was bad?

Saying that Eli has played poorly isn't excusing drops and poorly run routes, clearly there has been a few of those.... conversely, that doesn't excuse Eli either, he has been off target often lately, and he is making throws to locations where the receiver and he were clearly on a different page. You and I may be watching different game... but Eli has not been playing well.

bigblue58
11-05-2012, 09:03 AM
Do you think Eli has been playing well lately?

No not at all...but then again, a defense of Eli wasn't even the point of my comment!

bigblue58
11-05-2012, 09:05 AM
Saying that Eli has played poorly isn't excusing drops and poorly run routes, clearly there has been a few of those.... conversely, that doesn't excuse Eli either, he has been off target often lately, and he is making throws to locations where the receiver and he were clearly on a different page. You and I may be watching different game... but Eli has not been playing well.

Again...I didn't say he has been and that wasn't the point I was trying to make with my comment.
You see now why your English teacher harped on the importance of reading comprehension??
My comment was simply based on an observation I have made watching and listening to sports stations recently, in regard to other QB's who have had bad days.
I simply noticed that talking heads and sports writers are suddenly pointing out how many drops receivers are having to defend certain big name QB's...and thats ALL my comment meant.

CDN_G-FAN
11-05-2012, 09:24 AM
its not just press vs. non press coverage.

Eli's accuracy has been horrible the last 3 weeks. Horrible.

To say we just need players in motion, which i've read in 5 threads now, is missing the point. Eli has not been throwing the ball well regardless of what coverage is called.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 09:30 AM
its not just press vs. non press coverage. Eli's accuracy has been horrible the last 3 weeks. Horrible. To say we just need players in motion, which i've read in 5 threads now, is missing the point. Eli has not been throwing the ball well regardless of what coverage is called. +1

BigBlue1971
11-05-2012, 09:39 AM
Eli must have read this board 4-5 weeks ago when he was being crowned the nfls best qb!

he played a bad game yesterday prolly the worst game in a coupla of years! his ineffectiveness was also magnified by the loss!

until yesterday the defense held up to provide a path to victory taking Eli off the hook because they won the game!

yesterday was a total mess with everyone to blame for this melt down.

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 09:43 AM
Teams have figured out that Nicks is not healthy, they are beating up on Cruz, and they miss Manningham. To make matters worse they started Diehl.

BParcells777
11-05-2012, 09:44 AM
could it be he has some lingering concussion? I do not remember any particularly viscious hits or head snaps to the ground

Harooni
elite is the worst word in history for any QB. I think that the formula to beating the giants is laid out , and that gilbrides strategy needs to be changed. Teams have figured out what we like and tend to do.

Rudyy
Teams have figured out that Nicks is not healthy, they are beating up on Cruz, and they miss Manningham. To make matters worse they started Diehl.+1

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 09:45 AM
elite is the worst word in history for any QB. I think that the formula to beating the giants is laid out , and that gilbrides strategy needs to be changed. Teams have figured out what we like and tend to do.+2

dakotajoe
11-05-2012, 09:51 AM
Nicks came back and isn't nearly 100%. He should stop acting like he's fine, he's only hurting the team. It's obvious he can't get separation and is basically a useless receiver out there. When healthy he's one of the best in the league, there were a few balls he would have easily snagged normally but couldn't get to because of his foot/knee.

Eli hasn't been on but was never been known for his pinpoint accuracy. He was under duress all game, there were a number of bad balls due to defenders being right in his face. The coaching staff made a bad decision by starting Diehl and paid for it. The coaches should stop catering towards veterans and put the best players on the field.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 09:54 AM
Teams have figured out that Nicks is not healthy, they are beating up on Cruz, and they miss Manningham. To make matters worse they started Diehl. I have to admit Nicks look pretty bad yesterday, slow

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
I have to admit Nicks look pretty bad yesterday, slowIf they can make it past the Bengals maybe they can get him some extra rest during the bye. Not sure if they will help. He may need an offseason to get back to 100%.

EliDaMANning
11-05-2012, 09:59 AM
Nicks needs to sit until he's 100%. This guy is not the same guy we saw last post season getting open and beating press coverage.

He is a great receiver playing like a backup. I don't understand why the team continues to let him play because he is hurting this team. We can get by without him for now because our division is terrible. Just get him healthy for the playoffs and we'll be fine.

stormblue
11-05-2012, 10:06 AM
the dropped passes are no worse than any other teams.

this shows that Cruz has plenty of elite company

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232

but their respective QB's are still slingin' it with success anyway.
Welker and Gronk have just as many drops as Cruz and Bennet.
so do Dez and Witten.......

lately, Eli is overthrowing , underthrowing and forcing balls into
double coverage like he used to when he had plax.
Knicks is still only half speed and double covered and Eli throws it anyway.

we have no passing game because teams are double covering the deep stuff
and Eli is not taking the quick underneath stuff -
because he never has been any good at the dink and dunk game.
his setup , reaction and release are too slow.
the drops don't stop the other "elite" QB's from throwing for half a mile
per game regardless of drops.

his 3rd down efficiency is putrid.
stop calling 30 yard option fly routes when you only need 3 yards.
we are losing time of possession 35 to 25 every game because
we can't get a first down. its bad enough our defense sucks -
not letting them catch their breath ain't helpin' matters any.

his miscues , bad reads and poor play of late are a way bigger problem than the dropsies.

and don't say KG.....8 years in the same offense means
he can audible into anything he wants anytime he wants.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 10:51 AM
If they can make it past the Bengals maybe they can get him some extra rest during the bye. Not sure if they will help. He may need an offseason to get back to 100%. We are going to get past the Bengals the question is are we going to beat them?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 10:55 AM
the dropped passes are no worse than any other teams. this shows that Cruz has plenty of elite company http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232 but their respective QB's are still slingin' it with success anyway. Welker and Gronk have just as many drops as Cruz and Bennet. so do Dez and Witten....... lately, Eli is overthrowing , underthrowing and forcing balls into double coverage like he used to when he had plax. Knicks is still only half speed and double covered and Eli throws it anyway. we have no passing game because teams are double covering the deep stuff and Eli is not taking the quick underneath stuff - because he never has been any good at the dink and dunk game. his setup , reaction and release are too slow. the drops don't stop the other "elite" QB's from throwing for half a mile per game regardless of drops. his 3rd down efficiency is putrid. stop calling 30 yard option fly routes when you only need 3 yards. we are losing time of possession 35 to 25 every game because we can't get a first down. its bad enough our defense sucks - not letting them catch their breath ain't helpin' matters any. his miscues , bad reads and poor play of late are a way bigger problem than the dropsies. and don't say KG.....8 years in the same offense means he can audible into anything he wants anytime he wants. Could it be that Eli just doesn't trust the running game?

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 10:56 AM
We are going to get past the Bengals the question is are we going to beat them?Lol. I meant past as in win.

rebelfan1966
11-05-2012, 11:02 AM
I think everyone knows I am a big Eli supporter..... to the point I have been called Homer, Eli Only Fan, Eli Cultist, ect, ect, ect. I will say the past two games have been hard to watch. Eli and his WRs seem to be out of sink and there is no timing or rhythm. Eli has to share in the blame, but so do the WRs and lack of a running game. I am going to say this week was due to Sandy and hope for a better outing in the next game. The good news is we still hold a comfortable lead in our division..... The bad news is we have a tough schedule ahead of us and any on the NFC East teams could catch up.

Harooni
11-05-2012, 11:03 AM
Could it be that Eli just doesn't trust the running game? he doesnt trust the running game so he makes poor throws and decisions lately? now if you said Gilbride dont trust the running game then ok.

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Gilbride doesn't trust anyone else but himself apparently.

Harooni
11-05-2012, 11:25 AM
Gilbride doesn't trust anyone else but himself apparently. we shouldnt trust him.

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 11:26 AM
we shouldnt trust him. Of course we should, he won 2 Super Bowls!

Harooni
11-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Of course we should, he won 2 Super Bowls!ha, yeah thank you pass rush is all i can say because 17 points only wins SB's when your Defense is stopping a HOF QB.

Jtuck
11-05-2012, 11:59 AM
the dropped passes are no worse than any other teams.

this shows that Cruz has plenty of elite company

http://stats.washingtonpost.com/fb/leaders.asp?range=nfl&type=receiving&rank=232

but their respective QB's are still slingin' it with success anyway.
Welker and Gronk have just as many drops as Cruz and Bennet.
so do Dez and Witten.......

lately, Eli is overthrowing , underthrowing and forcing balls into
double coverage like he used to when he had plax.
Knicks is still only half speed and double covered and Eli throws it anyway.

we have no passing game because teams are double covering the deep stuff
and Eli is not taking the quick underneath stuff -
because he never has been any good at the dink and dunk game.
his setup , reaction and release are too slow.
the drops don't stop the other "elite" QB's from throwing for half a mile
per game regardless of drops.

his 3rd down efficiency is putrid.
stop calling 30 yard option fly routes when you only need 3 yards.
we are losing time of possession 35 to 25 every game because
we can't get a first down. its bad enough our defense sucks -
not letting them catch their breath ain't helpin' matters any.

his miscues , bad reads and poor play of late are a way bigger problem than the dropsies.

and don't say KG.....8 years in the same offense means
he can audible into anything he wants anytime he wants.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

Sarcasman
11-05-2012, 12:14 PM
This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^

Which part?

Some of it made good sense, some of it made none.

stormblue
11-05-2012, 12:27 PM
and which part made no sense.
Eli has been in the same offense with the
same coaching staff his entire career.
there is no excuse for him going 9 and out
in the 4th qtr with the game on the line .

with all the drops and pics and turnovers Romo still threw for 439.

and even though Big Ben got sacked 4 times and hurried 10....
he still converted on 3rd down half the time.
Eli was 2 for 10.

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
and which part made no sense.
Eli has been in the same offense with the
same coaching staff his entire career.
there is no excuse for him going 9 and out
in the 4th qtr with the game on the line .

with all the drops and pics and turnovers Romo still threw for 439.

and even though Big Ben got sacked 4 times and hurried 10....
he still converted on 3rd half the time.
Eli was 2 for 10.Perhaps Big Ben and Romo don't look at the same plays over and over expecting a different result?

stormblue
11-05-2012, 12:30 PM
anyways .....when players don't perform well they get hammered by fans and press.
Eli has to take his lumps too.

CDN_G-FAN
11-05-2012, 12:42 PM
so just to be clear, when the passing game is working, its in spite of Gilbride, and when its not, its because of him.

and, of course, this kind of reasoning isn't unbiased at all right? i mean, clearly there's some pretty reasonable things that Gilbride could do that would have people think differently about him right? Other than never have a bad game.

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 12:43 PM
so just to be clear, when the passing game is working, its in spite of Gilbride, and when its not, its because of him.

and, of course, this kind of reasoning isn't unbiased at all right? i mean, clearly there's some pretty reasonable things that Gilbride could do that would have people think differently about him right? Other than never have a bad game.Gilbride is inconsistent. Sometimes he calls good games, sometimes he does not.

CDN_G-FAN
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Gilbride is inconsistent. Sometimes he calls good games, sometimes he does not.

and the consistent OCs in the league are.................?

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 01:15 PM
and the consistent OCs in the league are.................?Not on this team.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
he doesnt trust the running game so he makes poor throws and decisions lately? now if you said Gilbride dont trust the running game then ok.

Eli gets to make the call at the line and as long as that's the case, he has to share in the glory and the defeat. I am sure Eli wants to in and with this running game I can easily imagine he will keep the ball in his hands as often as he can. It's not a knock on Eli, and his poor accuracy issues have nothing to do with it. What not having a running game does is make us one dimensional so all the opposing defense has to do is wear us down and keep Eli moving around.

CDN_G-FAN
11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
Not on this team.

and which teams are they on?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 01:20 PM
Gilbride is inconsistent. Sometimes he calls good games, sometimes he does not.

You're really describing execution. The plays are the same when they work and when they don't

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 01:20 PM
and which teams are they on?...the others ones haha.

Ok seriously though, you have to admit the play calling has been atrocious. I'm hoping they adjust, hoping.

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 01:21 PM
You're really describing execution. The plays are the same when they work and when they don'tWell they haven't been working recently, we need to switch it up.

BMW
11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
Wasting downs on Bradshaw and his -1 yd runs is one of the issues.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 01:26 PM
Wasting downs on Bradshaw and his -1 yd runs is one of the issues.

True enough.

Eliscruzzz
11-05-2012, 01:30 PM
Our good ol' buddy Terrance Newman is going to be what the dr. ordered for this offense lol....

GameTime
11-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Our good ol' buddy Terrance Newman is going to be what the dr. ordered for this offense lol....
beating the "terrance newmans" of the football world doesnt give me confidence in the Giants floundering offense...

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 01:37 PM
its not just press vs. non press coverage.

Eli's accuracy has been horrible the last 3 weeks. Horrible.

To say we just need players in motion, which i've read in 5 threads now, is missing the point. Eli has not been throwing the ball well regardless of what coverage is called.

Lmao, Eli is so past his early days, but that intercepted floater was reminiscent of Eli's earlier years. That was one of the worst thrown ball I have seen him put up in a very long time. I thought is was funny the way the ball came out, and my wife said "What the hell was that?" Lol.

ryan12
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
david diehl happend to eli and passing game