PDA

View Full Version : Problems Since Diehl Came Back

rextilleon
11-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Has anybody noticed that since the return of David Diehl--the offense has been out of whack?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 09:50 AM
Has anybody noticed that since the return of David Diehl--the offense has been out of whack? While I question Diehl starting there is no way you can lay the blame for all of the offensive failures on him

EliDaMANning
11-05-2012, 09:56 AM
While I question Diehl starting there is no way you can lay the blame for all of the offensive failures on him3rd and long late in the 4th Q when I saw Woodley run by I knew it was 66.

bigbluetribe
11-05-2012, 09:57 AM
agreed it isnt his fault, who knows what it is, eli, gilbride but it isnt diehl although he isnt doing anything to stop the bleeding

BParcells777
11-05-2012, 10:05 AM
I noticed Deihl limping heavily after an early play in the game.........he is not himself. Once again, as with O'hara two years ago Coughlin has rushed a veteran back on the field unnessesarily.

To do us a big favor and make this year's SB your retirement party

Breviloquence
11-05-2012, 10:19 AM
Diehl is due to make 4.1 million next year. He'll either take a big pay cut or he'll be gone. I'm guessing this is his last year with the Giants and it should be spent as a rotational player.

sharick88
11-05-2012, 10:27 AM
I know there are an endless amount of Diehl threads going on, but my title is the best and funniest. IMO, he sux and should be banished to the corn field. Locklear was doing just fine and didn't deserve to go back to the bench. If he stays out there at RT, Eli won't last too much longer. Thank you and have a great day.

BlueReign
11-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Don't fix something if it's not broken. Completely agree with you.

Breviloquence
11-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Diehl should be a backup and rotational player. Locklear needs to start. Diehl is gone next year. He's due to make too much.

sharick88
11-05-2012, 10:33 AM
Diehl should be a backup and rotational player. Locklear needs to start. Diehl is gone next year. He's due to make too much.

Exactly!

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 10:35 AM
It is a good title but I'm giving the same answer I have to all of he others. He is their starter. Just DEAL with it! Get it DEAL with it?

GIANTSED101
11-05-2012, 10:36 AM
I agree with everyone, Diehl is horrible. If he makes that block with 4 minutes left in the game Eli probably makes the completion and keeps the drive alive. There's a reason why we hadn't been given up sack as much this year, DD has been out of the starting line up.

slipknottin
11-05-2012, 11:04 AM

He's not good enough for that. I'd rather have Brewer get some snaps.

Diehl is an embarrassment to all NFL offensive linemen

ELIte4MVP
11-05-2012, 11:15 AM
agreed it isnt his fault, who knows what it is, eli, gilbride but it isnt diehl although he isnt doing anything to stop the bleeding

you should probably re-watch the game. almost every pressure all day was on diehls side. eli was uncomfortable in the pocket all day. yes, eli still played bad, but it all starts with pressure and there was pressure on almost every drop back

nycsportzfan
11-05-2012, 11:26 AM
I know there are an endless amount of Diehl threads going on, but my title is the best and funniest. IMO, he sux and should be banished to the corn field. Locklear was doing just fine and didn't deserve to go back to the bench. If he stays out there at RT, Eli won't last too much longer. Thank you and have a great day. oh, this is obvious.. This is what sickens me.. Ur not coaching for the better of the team when u let some dude who clearly has regressed come back into the fold when u have a guy who also is a long standing NFL vet whos been freaking brilliant, go to the pine in favor of him.. I'm so sick and tired of guys careers when they were young and good, make coaches keep them in regardless of what they've found when that person was out, in this case Locklear.... U have to be freaking a blind idiot to not see Diehl is a shell of his former self.. Every fan, casual and hard core knows that.. It litteraly makes my head hurt that a coach making millions can actually make a decison like that.. There isn't one giants fan in this country who would of given Diehl the nod over Locklear.. None! Zip, Zilch!!

I'm very angry! Just stupid!

egyptian420
11-05-2012, 11:29 AM
you should probably re-watch the game. almost every pressure all day was on diehls side. eli was uncomfortable in the pocket all day. yes, eli still played bad, but it all starts with pressure and there was pressure on almost every drop back+1....I'm not looking for a scapegoat for our loss, the entire team sucked (our punt coverage schemes, our run D, Eli....almost everything)....BUT, Diehl's terrible performance just really stuck out, it seemed like every highlight they showed with Eli under tons of pressure it was coming from Diehl's side.

giantscolombia
11-05-2012, 11:44 AM
+1....I'm not looking for a scapegoat for our loss, the entire team sucked (our punt coverage schemes, our run D, Eli....almost everything)....BUT, Diehl's terrible performance just really stuck out, it seemed like every highlight they showed with Eli under tons of pressure it was coming from Diehl's side.

I agree completely. it seemed like it was every play Diehl was getting thrown around....

Embarrassing.

egyptian420
11-05-2012, 11:45 AM
I agree completely. it seemed like it was every play Diehl was getting thrown around....

Embarrassing.I don't know if it's just a cooincidence that I was already worried about this happening when they announced before the game that he would take that spot back

Zaggs
11-05-2012, 11:48 AM
What I don't get is, he didn't play that well at tackle before he got hurt. So why take Locklear out when the unit was doing good to put Diehl back at tackle? Would have made more since replacing Boothe with Diehl.

jaxnygmen
11-05-2012, 12:06 PM
As soon as the announcement was made that a player does not lose their position because of an injury, I knew we were in trouble. He should have never had the position to begin with. Here is another position that the giants have neglected over the years. He let pressure in all day and typical false start penalty at the wrong time.

Robert21156
11-05-2012, 12:23 PM
I don't know if it's just a cooincidence that I was already worried about this happening when they announced before the game that he would take that spot back
Yeah, supposedly the coaches told Locklear that Diehl would be starting and that the Giants philosophy is that no player loses his position due to injury. IN MY OPINION, DIEHL HAS LONG AGO LOST HIS POSITION DUE TO INADEQUATE PERFORMANCE. Don't understand our coaches at all - Diehl is TERRIBLE.

Harooni
11-05-2012, 12:24 PM
we had redzone and rushing problems before his return, while he is not a great T. its not him

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 12:37 PM
3rd and long late in the 4th Q when I saw Woodley run by I knew it was 66.

Sure, it was the right side.

moosedrool
11-05-2012, 01:00 PM
Can anyone ever remember a Newsday or NY Post sports writer who covers the Giants question the play of Diehl? It's been talked about for the last two years on these boards, but these writers who cover the team are either clueless about DD or under a gag order.

sharick88
11-05-2012, 01:01 PM
It is a good title but I'm giving the same answer I have to all of he others. He is their starter. Just DEAL with it! Get it DEAL with it?

Or he is what he is. Just Diehl with it. Unfornately, Diehling with Diehl is going to get our QB KO'd sooner or later. Dude is garbage and the only thing he should be Diehling with is coming in as an extra blocker on certain run plays

sharick88
11-05-2012, 01:03 PM
oh, this is obvious.. This is what sickens me.. Ur not coaching for the better of the team when u let some dude who clearly has regressed come back into the fold when u have a guy who also is a long standing NFL vet whos been freaking brilliant, go to the pine in favor of him.. I'm so sick and tired of guys careers when they were young and good, make coaches keep them in regardless of what they've found when that person was out, in this case Locklear.... U have to be freaking a blind idiot to not see Diehl is a shell of his former self.. Every fan, casual and hard core knows that.. It litteraly makes my head hurt that a coach making millions can actually make a decison like that.. There isn't one giants fan in this country who would of given Diehl the nod over Locklear.. None! Zip, Zilch!!

I'm very angry! Just stupid!

The funny thing about this is that we dealt with similar garbage when O Hara returned. The OLine was doing just fine and when he came back, the team went to hell. The OLine was doing a nice job. Enter Diehl and then they go to hell.

GameTime
11-05-2012, 01:04 PM
the guy is done as a starter but he is a TRUE GIANT and always will be.
He doesnt deserve to be called "garbage" or an "embarssment", etc.
Grow up guys and have some ****ing respect for the players who bust their asses for this team and have for many years.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Can anyone ever remember a Newsday or NY Post sports writer who covers the Giants question the play of Diehl? It's been talked about for the last two years on these boards, but these writers who cover the team are either clueless about DD or under a gag order.

What does it matter what they say?

As it so happens, there is an article about Diehl in the news thread today.

bearbryant
11-05-2012, 01:05 PM
Look DD is a downgrade from locklear. Not that locklear is an allpro. Butr at least he protects eli most of the time and is better in the run game than diehl. Thats what stupid about this staff. they can't be this blind so what... tc is diehls kids godfather... I don't know. GoGiants

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 01:06 PM
I know there are an endless amount of Diehl threads going on, but my title is the best and funniest. IMO, he sux and should be banished to the corn field. Locklear was doing just fine and didn't deserve to go back to the bench. If he stays out there at RT, Eli won't last too much longer. Thank you and have a great day.

No Diehl!

GameTime
11-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I noticed Deihl limping heavily after an early play in the game.........he is not himself. Once again, as with O'hara two years ago Coughlin has rushed a veteran back on the field unnessesarily.

To do us a big favor and make this year's SB your retirement party

shut up....

brad
11-05-2012, 01:11 PM
you should probably re-watch the game. almost every pressure all day was on diehls side. eli was uncomfortable in the pocket all day. yes, eli still played bad, but it all starts with pressure and there was pressure on almost every drop back

DD didn't get back into the starting lineup until the Pitt game, the offensive problems started before that. DD was a big problem yesterday, but he isn't the only problem on the offense.

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 01:18 PM
While I question Diehl starting there is no way you can lay the blame for all of the offensive failures on him

You are right. He is the main reason why we lost, but you can blame him for the multiple hits on Eli took as a result of his terrible pass protection. He was awful yesterday. Absolutely awful. It was so bad they even had Bradshaw lined up behind Deihl many of our pass plays.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 01:23 PM
You are right. He is the main reason why we lost, but you can blame him for the multiple hits on Eli took as a result of his terrible pass protection. He was awful yesterday. Absolutely awful. It was so bad they even had Bradshaw lined up behind Deihl many of our pass plays.

Yes, and on one of those plays, Bradshaw turned his back to the line and Eli got waffled as the defender ran right by Bradshaw unseen. It's not all Diehl's fault

moosedrool
11-05-2012, 01:24 PM
What does it matter what they say?

As it so happens, there is an article about Diehl in the news thread today.

Because if they wrote about it then they most likely have asked TC about. But it seems they are too brain dead to cover the subject. Can you post a link to the thread? Starting Diehl bugs me more than our awful run defense.

moosedrool
11-05-2012, 01:35 PM
David Diehl returned to the starting lineup at right tackle for the first time since suffering a knee injury in Week 2. He did not fare well against Pittsburgh's speed up front.

Eli Manning was sacked twice in the fourth quarter by Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, both of whom raced around the right side Diehl was manning in place of Sean Locklear.

Tom Coughlin defended Diehl after the game, insisting, "Yes, he was ready to go. He had, what, three weeks of playing the [jumbo] tight end, so we could watch and see how he was pushing and how strong he was."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/177204831_Giants_notes__Rocky_return_for_David_Die hl.html

Toadofsteel
11-05-2012, 01:36 PM
Does Diehl have the Tom Coughlin sextape or something?

moosedrool
11-05-2012, 01:39 PM
This is what Eli looks like with Diehl starting

Eliscruzzz
11-05-2012, 01:40 PM
Oh Tom...please let go of your ego and just tell the truth and face the fact that DD is done.

giantscolombia
11-05-2012, 01:43 PM
David Diehl returned to the starting lineup at right tackle for the first time since suffering a knee injury in Week 2. He did not fare well against Pittsburgh's speed up front.

Eli Manning was sacked twice in the fourth quarter by Lawrence Timmons and LaMarr Woodley, both of whom raced around the right side Diehl was manning in place of Sean Locklear.

Tom Coughlin defended Diehl after the game, insisting, "Yes, he was ready to go. He had, what, three weeks of playing the [jumbo] tight end, so we could watch and see how he was pushing and how strong he was."

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/177204831_Giants_notes__Rocky_return_for_David_Die hl.html

David Diehl is pushing hard and he is strong therefore he should start?

hahaha this sounds ridiculous!

Cloud57
11-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Nope sounds like Tom Coughlin

giantsforce
11-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Does Diehl have the Tom Coughlin sextape or something?Now this is something that I wouldn't want to see! On a serious note, Coughlin has no credibility and he cannot be taken seriously no matter what the homers say around here. He said that we cannot have Bradshaw practicing one day and then playing, but Bradshaw is in the game every week. He said that "they addressed" the red zone scoring problems, we all know the results. Oh, well. I guess we have to live with the same crap until, he is gone. Because nothing will change while he is here. The bad thing is, the older he gets, the worst his decision making is becoming.

GeoGoGo
11-05-2012, 01:50 PM
All I know is with Locklear playing, Eli doesn't get sacked once in three games. Diehl should not have been playing RT; Locklear should have been and should be the starter.

Morehead State
11-05-2012, 01:51 PM

We can't have our head coach publicly supporting his players can we. What's wrong with that guy?

Toadofsteel
11-05-2012, 01:52 PM
We can't have our head coach publicly supporting his players can we. What's wrong with that guy?

Why in the hell is he not supporting Locklear? You know, the guy that can actually PLAY at RT?

Morehead State
11-05-2012, 01:54 PM
Now this is something that I wouldn't want to see! On a serious note, Coughlin has no credibility and he cannot be taken seriously no matter what the homers say around here. He said that we cannot have Bradshaw practicing one day and then playing, but Bradshaw is in the game every week. He said that "they addressed" the red zone scoring problems, we all know the results. Oh, well. I guess we have to live with the same crap until, he is gone. Because nothing will change while he is here. The bad thing is, the older he gets, the worst his decision making is becoming.
This is what you meant to do ....right?

TC has earned all the credibility he needs with us.

Morehead State
11-05-2012, 01:55 PM
Why in the hell is he not supporting Locklear? You know, the guy that can actually PLAY at RT?
I can't find any quotes where he knocks Locklear.
maybe you can point that out for me.
This thread suggests that there is something wrong with defending one of his players. Defending one isn't knocking another.

BigBlue wins
11-05-2012, 02:08 PM
I can't find any quotes where he knocks Locklear.
maybe you can point that out for me.
This thread suggests that there is something wrong with defending one of his players. Defending one isn't knocking another.

Fans and readers alike are taking it as Coughlin defending his reasoning for starting Diehl. Coach will never come out publicly and say it was his fault. He needs to prove it in his actions by starting Locklear. I am going to find it difficult to feel good about any of our upcoming games with Diehl starting.

Morehead State
11-05-2012, 02:13 PM
Fans and readers alike are taking it as Coughlin defending his reasoning for starting Diehl. Coach will never come out publicly and say it was his fault. He needs to prove it in his actions by starting Locklear. I am going to find it difficult to feel good about any of our upcoming games with Diehl starting.
As a big DD fan I can honestly say that Locklear seems to be doing a better job. But the OP seems to be saying that he wants TC to publicly criticize DD. I would be very disappointed if he did that. Thats not what TC does.
And unlike what another poster said here, TC should get a lot of slack from us fans. Not to suggest that he shouldn't be criticized if we don't like something he did, but he has earned a lot of credibility with us.

Toadofsteel
11-05-2012, 02:27 PM
I don't want him to criticize DD, I just want him to start Locklear over him...

GameTime
11-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Now this is something that I wouldn't want to see! On a serious note, Coughlin has no credibility and he cannot be taken seriously no matter what the homers say around here. He said that we cannot have Bradshaw practicing one day and then playing, but Bradshaw is in the game every week. He said that "they addressed" the red zone scoring problems, we all know the results. Oh, well. I guess we have to live with the same crap until, he is gone. Because nothing will change while he is here. The bad thing is, the older he gets, the worst his decision making is becoming.
dope alert....

giantsforce
11-05-2012, 02:41 PM
dope alert....Right on! You like mediocrity don't you? In order to fix a problem you must first admit that you have a problem. You don't say you have "addressed' the issue and the team gets worse. But then again, you wouldn't understand, the blinders are on.

Morehead State
11-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Right on! You like mediocrity don't you? In order to fix a problem you must first admit that you have a problem. You don't say you have "addressed' the issue and the team gets worse. But then again, you wouldn't understand, the blinders are on.
Two SB wins in 5 years isn't "mediocrity"

TheEnigma
11-05-2012, 02:49 PM
Diehl is one of the few original players left from when TC started here. Outside of Snee and maybe Eli, Coughlin LOVES this dude more than anyone on the team and would probably defend him in a murder trial. It would take an injury or suspension for Diehl to lose his job.

CuseGirl
11-05-2012, 02:52 PM
Two SB wins in 5 years isn't "mediocrity"Remember, there's still fans out there who want the cake and icing and the sparking candles. I will admit, I'm in that category sometimes: I want the Giants to be good ALL year, to NOT have to hear those statements of "well they were 9-7 last year, they just got hot". I want 12+ wins and a title. I want the giants to be totally GOOD THROUGH AND THROUGH. And seeing Deihl out there who really can't pass protect, it's hard.

This loss probably doesn't mean as much: inter-conference game, only the 3rd loss, the other 3 division rivals are in the rear view mirror. But it stings, especially at home when you have a chance to keep pace with ATL and the Bears.

ALLnygIN
11-05-2012, 02:54 PM
I hope Dehil just retires.. I mean doesn't he know he's hurting that offensive line more by playing.. It's just so blatantly obvious.. He's not what he was, he never will be, he should not be starting!

Morehead State
11-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Remember, there's still fans out there who want the cake and icing and the sparking candles. I will admit, I'm in that category sometimes: I want the Giants to be good ALL year, to NOT have to hear those statements of "well they were 9-7 last year, they just got hot". I want 12+ wins and a title. I want the giants to be totally GOOD THROUGH AND THROUGH. And seeing Deihl out there who really can't pass protect, it's hard.

This loss probably doesn't mean as much: inter-conference game, only the 3rd loss, the other 3 division rivals are in the rear view mirror. But it stings, especially at home when you have a chance to keep pace with ATL and the Bears.
The reality is that we tried DD at right tackle. He played there many years ago and really struggled. He is actually a better LT then anything else. He's actually not a very good guard either.
He's clearly not athletic enough anymore to play LT, so he needs to be a multi position back up right now. I too am not happy that he's starting at RT. But I'm not upset that he didn't criticize DD publicly either.

GMENAGAIN
11-05-2012, 03:04 PM
He didn't defend Diehl's play in the game yesterday as the title of this thread suggests, he just said that Diehl was ready to play. What did you expect him to say? We knew he wasn't ready to go, but put him out there anyway?

moosedrool
11-05-2012, 03:04 PM
But the OP seems to be saying that he wants TC to publicly criticize DD.

WRONG. I never said anything to suggest he do that.

CuseGirl
11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
The reality is that we tried DD at right tackle. He played there many years ago and really struggled. He is actually a better LT then anything else. He's actually not a very good guard either.
He's clearly not athletic enough anymore to play LT, so he needs to be a multi position back up right now. I too am not happy that he's starting at RT. But I'm not upset that he didn't criticize DD publicly either.Oh no, Coughlin shouldn't criticize him publicly, he has to keep the loyalty of the team. They have to know "he's sticking up for me when these crazy *** non-football playing fans get on my case". But that won't stop me from saying he's not good enough right now lollll

Morehead State
11-05-2012, 03:06 PM
WRONG. I never said anything to suggest he do that.
OK...Lets try again.
You seem to be saying that TC should not publicly defend DD.
Is that better?
Either way, its not what TC does. He keeps the criticism primarily behind closed doors. Publicly, the players are getting his support.

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 03:09 PM
As a big DD fan I can honestly say that Locklear seems to be doing a better job. But the OP seems to be saying that he wants TC to publicly criticize DD. I would be very disappointed if he did that. Thats not what TC does.
And unlike what another poster said here, TC should get a lot of slack from us fans. Not to suggest that he shouldn't be criticized if we don't like something he did, but he has earned a lot of credibility with us.

Good point. I think Locklear will be getting his old job back. No reason for TC to publicly trash DD given what he has done for this team.

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Yes, and on one of those plays, Bradshaw turned his back to the line and Eli got waffled as the defender ran right by Bradshaw unseen. It's not all Diehl's fault

I don't think anyone here think it is all his fault, but he was one of the main culprits for Eli's beating yesterday.

moosedrool
11-05-2012, 03:16 PM
On post game interviews TC frequently says "I have to review the tape first before commenting", but with Diehl he does not say that and skirts the issue. Some people have a hard time admitting when they are wrong and in my opinion TC is wrong about starting Diehl over Locklear.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 03:19 PM

TC wasn't defending Diehl's play against the Steelers, he was explaining why he started the game

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 03:20 PM

Coughlin was pissed during the press conference yesterday when they asked him about DD. TC went off on the reporter who asked the question that is why I am convinced that he will start next week. TC track record doesn't show me that is even a possibility.

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 03:21 PM
TC wasn't defending Diehl's play against the Steelers, he was explaining why he started the game

Coughlin said that he was ready to play, but I am pretty most people saw that wasn't the case.

TheEnigma
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
TC seemed very annoyed when the Diehl question was brought up. I honestly think he knows he went with the wrong guy but I'm not sure if he's ready to admit his mistake yet.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 03:25 PM
Coughlin said that he was ready to play, but I am pretty most people saw that wasn't the case.

We'll have to wait and see who starts Sunday. Hopefully it will be Locklear or they attach a tight end to Dielh's hip

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 03:42 PM

Lol, of course. Coughlin meant what he said. Go look at the post game press conference. His body language looked like he wanted to take the reporter who asked him about Deihl at least two rounds. lol

nycisgreat
11-05-2012, 03:44 PM
We'll have to wait and see who starts Sunday. Hopefully it will be Locklear or they attach a tight end to Dielh's hip

That is what i am hoping for, but TC's track doesn't show any indication he would start Locklear if Deihl is healthy enough to play.

moosedrool
11-05-2012, 03:45 PM
LOL. Diehl actually blames hmself for the loss.

Right tackle David Diehl allowing a sack that sealed that decisive three-and-out in the fourth quarter, leading him to declare, “We lost the game and of course you could say, ‘Blame it on me.’ ”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_lose_lead_and_fall_to_s.html

Cloud57
11-05-2012, 03:46 PM
LOL. Diehl actually blames hmself for the loss.

Right tackle David Diehl allowing a sack that sealed that decisive three-and-out in the fourth quarter, leading him to declare, “We lost the game and of course you could say, ‘Blame it on me.’ ”

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2012/11/giants_lose_lead_and_fall_to_s.html

did he tell that to TC?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 03:59 PM
That is what i am hoping for, but TC's track doesn't show any indication he would start Locklear if Deihl is healthy enough to play.

Don't be too sure. He wants to win as much as anyone