PDA

View Full Version : An optimistic take on the rest of the season.

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 06:45 PM
Here are some reasons to be optimistic right now.

#1: The Standings
The Giants are 6-3 and are totally in control of their own destiny. The rest of the NFC East wishes they had the Giants "problems". Yeah, this loss stunk, but the Giants were on a 4 game roll...... I'll gladly take another 4 wins followed by another clunker in the 2nd half of the year.

And really, of all the games on the schedule so far, this (AFC opponent) was probably the best game to drop from a playoff run standpoint.

Also, keep in mind the Giants were up by 10 in the 4th quarter....it's not like the Steelers blew them out. In fact, all 3 losses were games the Giants could have taken.

#2: The Coaching Staff
Coughlin is a great coach, and I think Fewell and Gilbride are good assistants. Coughlin gives his coordinators alot of latitude, but whenever a true crisis hits, it seems like he gets his assistants and his players on the same page.

#3 The Players
This team has the players to make adjustments and go on another run. Locklear has proven (to me) that he's an upgrade over Diehl, and I'm pretty sure that will work it's way out. Similarly, Andre Brown and David Wilson provide alternatives if Bradshaw continues to struggle. When KP is 100% healthy, I expect to see more of the 3 safety alignment, and that will be a net talent upgrade.

If the offense continues to struggle, I expect the coaching staff will be pragmatic about plugging in new players.

Bottom line:
This team has won 2 of the last 5 Super Bowls for a reason.....they are a really good ****ing team.

I'm guessing Eli lights up the Bengals next week, and they go 7-3 into a much needed bye.....and then the Steeler game will fade.

Jahh
11-05-2012, 06:49 PM
You sound reasonable. What are you doing on the Giants message board?

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Well done. And just o add a point we went up against the better (top 5 pass defenses and overall defenses/pitt is the best ranked pass defense) team defenses in this slump, and as u said, we are still 6-3. Ppl ***** about the coaching and this and that, alot of it valid, but what kind of team can go 6-3ahead playing some avg to awful ball for their standards? A damn good team thats what...

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Well done. And just o add a point we went up against the better (top 5 pass defenses and overall defenses/pitt is the best ranked pass defense) team defenses in this slump, and as u said, we are still 6-3. Ppl ***** about the coaching and this and that, alot of it valid, but what kind of team can go 6-3ahead playing some avg to awful ball for their standards? A damn good team thats what...

True.

BParcells777
11-05-2012, 07:02 PM

The Giants are 6-3 and are totally in control of their own destiny. The rest of the NFC East wishes they had the Giants "problems". Yeah, this loss stunk, but the Giants were on a 4 game roll...... I'll gladly take another 4 wins followed by another clunker in the 2nd half of the year.

And really, of all the games on the schedule so far, this (AFC opponent) was probably the best game to drop from a playoff run standpoint.

Also, keep in mind the Giants were up by 10 in the 4th quarter....it's not like the Steelers blew them out. In fact, all 3 losses were games the Giants could have taken.

Coughlin is a great coach, and I think Fewell and Gilbride are good assistants. Coughlin gives his coordinators alot of latitude, but whenever a true crisis hits, it seems like he gets his assistants and his players on the same page.

#3 The Players
This team has the players to make adjustments and go on another run. Locklear has proven (to me) that he's an upgrade over Diehl, and I'm pretty sure that will work it's way out. Similarly, Andre Brown and David Wilson provide alternatives if Bradshaw continues to struggle. When KP is 100% healthy, I expect to see more of the 3 safety alignment, and that will be a net talent upgrade.

If the offense continues to struggle, I expect the coaching staff will be pragmatic about plugging in new players.

Bottom line:
This team has won 2 of the last 5 Super Bowls for a reason.....they are a really good ****ing team.

I'm guessing Eli lights up the Bengals next week, and they go 7-3 into a much needed bye.....and then the Steeler game will fade.

Cant agree with #2 Joe.........Our Coaching staff is very mediocre.......our 53 players are AWESOME
with no leadership yesterday our middle was totally exposed

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Cant agree with #2 Joe.........Our Coaching staff is very mediocre.......our 53 players are AWESOME

Jack.....every team drops a game here and there.

Looking at the Giants losses, I'm pretty sure they had a chance to tie or win pretty much every game with their final offensive possession.......that tells me that the coaching staff is doing it's job.

How many other teams can you say that about?.....seriously, the Giants have been in every single game they lost....and it's only been 3 so far.

Still, they need to get some work done.....like I said, beat Cincy, and then go into the bye with 2 weeks to heal up and make adjustments prior to the final stretch.

BParcells777
11-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Jack.....every team drops a game here and there.

Looking at the Giants losses, I'm pretty sure they had a chance to tie or win pretty much every game with their final offensive possession.......that tells me that the coaching staff is doing it's job.

How many other teams can you say that about?.....seriously, the Giants have been in every single game they lost....and it's only been 3 so far.

Still, they need to get some work done.....like I said, beat Cincy, and then go into the bye with 2 weeks to heal up and make adjustments prior to the final stretch.

the loss hurt but you could see it coming.......we have been trending down for a long time and only a few defensive playmakers have covered it up.........welll we made precious few spectacular defensive plays yesterday..........had we not made a few we would have been blown out

Also we absolutely friggen STINK in the, I can't believe I'm saying this "GREEN ZONE".............Coughlin has proved once more he cannot keep up with league trends like no huddle, bubble screen, screens (well thats an old one but a good one)...........his STUBBORN insistence in rushing back ailing aging "STARTERS" is nauseating........he nearly got Eli killed yesterday

EnragedYouth85
11-05-2012, 07:17 PM
Amen! Let's whoop the **** out of Cincy and go into the bye at 7-3! Our coaches and players have some things to work on to get this offense back on track. I feel the ST just had a bad game but will rebound and the defense has been pretty good IMO. They let up yards, but they usually hold them to no points or a FG and they do lead the league in turnovers so they are doing something wrong. The issue is, we are not capitalizing on those turnovers. See the issue with the offense. I think we are more than alright, especially with Dallas and Washington losing and hopefully the Eagles too!

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Amen! Let's whoop the **** out of Cincy and go into the bye at 7-3! Our coaches and players have some things to work on to get this offense back on track. I feel the ST just had a bad game but will rebound and the defense has been pretty good IMO. They let up yards, but they usually hold them to no points or a FG and they do lead the league in turnovers so they are doing something wrong. The issue is, we are not capitalizing on those turnovers. See the issue with the offense. I think we are more than alright, especially with Dallas and Washington losing and hopefully the Eagles too!

Very true about the special teams....really, if not for the lopsided special teams, the Giants might have won yesterday.

frantlj
11-05-2012, 08:58 PM
It shouldn't be surprising we lost to a good team as poorly as we have been playing the past few weeks. But we did get two division wins while we are struggling and that says something about this team. A loss to the Steelers will not hurt us as much as Dalls or Washingston would have (standings and emotionally). Let's beat the Bengals and re-group. Dink and dunk, pleasssssssseeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!

repeatchamps
11-05-2012, 09:15 PM
Well the Saints are helping out tonight so far. Spags is bringing the blitz tonight. When I see what the Saints are doing so far boy does it make me miss Spags calling the defense on the Giants sideline. I know the Saints defense has been horrible but today they are doing what Spags used to do with the Giants. I sure do miss it. :mad:

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 09:48 PM
Well the Saints are helping out tonight so far. Spags is bringing the blitz tonight. When I see what the Saints are doing so far boy does it make me miss Spags calling the defense on the Giants sideline. I know the Saints defense has been horrible but today they are doing what Spags used to do with the Giants. I sure do miss it. :mad:

I agree....Spags used to gamble alot with the Giants, and sometimes the other team would take advantage, but when the Giants defense lost under Spags, I usually felt like the other team deserved the win.

With Spags, the Giants defense used to just be so disruptive.....it's a different feel now.

repeatchamps
11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
I agree....Spags used to gamble alot with the Giants, and sometimes the other team would take advantage, but when the Giants defense lost under Spags, I usually felt like the other team deserved the win.

With Spags, the Giants defense used to just be so disruptive.....it's a different feel now.

Yup and for those who will come out and say, well the Saints defense still gave up 140 plus yards rushing in the first half, well all I can say is when Spags was here he most definitely had better tacklers than he has with the Saints. Most of Philly's rush yards in the first half were due to missed tackles, nothing more.

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 10:30 PM
What I don't like is that they looked bad the last three weeks and honestly I don think the Steelers looked all that good yesterday. So no, I don't think they lost to a great team. They where up by 10 in a very sloppy game by both teams. The Giants just do not like winning in November and December.

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 11:44 PM
What I don't like is that they looked bad the last three weeks and honestly I don think the Steelers looked all that good yesterday. So no, I don't think they lost to a great team. They where up by 10 in a very sloppy game by both teams. The Giants just do not like winning in November and December.

I'm not going to excuse yesterday's game.....but the fact is, Giants didn't lose any ground this weekend, so I'm just going to forget about it and look forward to beating the Bengals and getting into the bye on a positive note.

repeatchamps
11-05-2012, 11:53 PM

You seem obsessed with style points. This is not college football. 4-1 in the last 5 is all that matters. Giants lost no ground in the division therefore a loss against a non-conference team by just 4 while giving their worst offensive effort of the year means absolutely nothing and has no bearing on anything. Also, Pittsburgh is a solid team and the way they played yesterday is exactly how they have won year after year. It is their MO to win ugly and they win ugly consistently every season even back when Cowher was coach. They have the #1 pass defense in the NFL even with all their injuries, to say Pittsburgh is unimpressive to you just makes you sound like a fool.

Parademon
11-06-2012, 12:06 AM
In defense of the O's problems these past few weeks, they have played 3 teams in SF, Dallas & Pit, that are ranked like in the top 5 in total team Defense. We were able to beat 2 of em. I feel that with the lesser defensive teams that we have coming up, our O should start to click again.

Toadofsteel
11-06-2012, 12:53 AM

#3 The Players

Bottom line:

#1 is GREAT. 2.5+ game lead on every other team in the division. If we lose every game in november and either Dallas or Philly wins every game in november, we'll still be tied for first (thank god the bye is in november this year). Mathematically, it is downright impossible at this point to drop out of first entirely until december. Philly would hold a tiebreaker though.

#3 definitely. We have the talent on this team to break out big time.

Only disagreement is with #2. Not with TC or PF necessarily. TC is a good coach, albeit one that makes some headscratching decisions (like starting Diehl). I don't want him gone at all. PF needs to learn how to properly call blitzes, but the defense has been doing great considering how much it's forced to be on the field.

Only place I disagree truly is where you call Killdrive a "good assistant". He's the most predictable OC in the NFL today. I can decipher the offense live on a 12" CRT across the room. And when he does try to be "creative", it just ends up being stupid (like that direct snap to bradshaw). I'm pretty sure we could just plug in the "Ask Madden" feature of Madden NFL in as our offensive coordinator, and it would call a better game than ****ing Killdrive...

giantsfan420
11-06-2012, 01:24 AM
If anyone needs to feel better about the loss yesterday go to the Eagles message board it is so hilarious they're accusing their left tackle of being bribed they're sure of it without bad he played

TheBookOfEli
11-06-2012, 03:27 AM
I agree. We haven't lost by more than a TD. Last year we got blown out by New Orleans and the rest is history.

I don't agree with Gilbride being a good assistant though. Fewell...eh he's aight.

Captain Chaos
11-06-2012, 04:50 AM
You can't burry these guys so quickly, they had a flat 4th quarter - doesn't anyone think that they could have been worn out by a very challenging week?

appodictic
11-06-2012, 08:57 AM
Well has the giants playing great his is providing api manyturnovers that the offence does not take advantage of and his d has scored in the last two games.

giantsforce
11-06-2012, 10:41 AM
Well the Saints are helping out tonight so far. Spags is bringing the blitz tonight. When I see what the Saints are doing so far boy does it make me miss Spags calling the defense on the Giants sideline. I know the Saints defense has been horrible but today they are doing what Spags used to do with the Giants. I sure do miss it. :mad:Well, looking at the way he attacked Vick bringing the blitz and beating him up makes me long for the good old days where we had a defensive game plan. Then I look at the way we played against the Eagles and it is no wonder why we lost. Fewell did not have a game plan that brought pressure on Vick. That's why we are the only team so far that did not cause a Vick turnover. Every other team is bringing the house on Vick except for Fewell. You can blame execution as much as you want, but the coaching problems are overlooked and not addressed. Oh well, we maybe 6-3 but we are trending downwards. We have been here before where we were 5-2 and we finished 8-8. Not say it will happen, but it could. With a Coughlin team, you never know what you are going to get. The only thing for sure is that we will be inconsistent. The only thing that is consistent in this team is the play calling: run, run, pass, punt.

Mercury
11-06-2012, 12:47 PM

I disagree entirely. Mediocre coaching staffs don't win SBs. A lot of teams would love to have our coaching staff. This was one game, no need to throw the baby out with the bathwater. Take a look at the Eagles and their 53 AWESOME players, yet no SBs there. Would you rather have their coaching staff? Uggh, I sure wouldn't.

Mercury
11-06-2012, 12:51 PM
The only thing that is consistent in this team is the play calling: run, run, pass, punt.

So, a bomb on the first play of the game would be very unexpected then and we would expect to fool them on it, right? Oh, wait, we didn't go run, run, pass on the first series did we? I think your frustration is with the execution, not with the play calling.

joemorrisforprez
11-06-2012, 12:53 PM
Only place I disagree truly is where you call Killdrive a "good assistant". He's the most predictable OC in the NFL today. I can decipher the offense live on a 12" CRT across the room. And when he does try to be "creative", it just ends up being stupid (like that direct snap to bradshaw). I'm pretty sure we could just plug in the "Ask Madden" feature of Madden NFL in as our offensive coordinator, and it would call a better game than ****ing Killdrive...

Trust me, I know where you are coming from. When I'm not ragging on Bradshaw, I'm ragging on Gilbride. And then, usually, Gilbride comes out with a great gameplan the following week (except against Philly....I've given up on our coaching staff against Philly.....really hope they can Reid because I can't take it any more).

But I've noticed something......when I judge Gilbride on a play-by-play basis, I start going nuts......his love affair with the delayed shotgun draw.....his penchant for calling bombs on 3rd and short, etc., etc.

But then, when I pan out and look at offensive stats, standings, playoff wins, etc......he looks alot better.

So up close, I agree, Gilbride drives me nuts.....but then I think of the numbers this offense has put up over the years, and it's alot easier on the eyes.

I also have to keep in mind that Eli changes alot of plays at the line....so sometimes, it's difficult to figure out if the bonehead decision came from the sideline, or from Eli. Alot of times, Eli sees something and just goes with his instincts....and more often than not, he hits a big play.

However, I will say this.....TC needs to clamp down sometimes on critical plays. That BS in Philly is a perfect example.....TC runs the ship.....when the Giants were inside Tynes' range, no way in hell should they be putting the damn ball in the air....and that should come down from Coughlin, and not be an Eli judgment call.