PDA

View Full Version : I really believe we are missing Manningham more than most will admit

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Look, I know some are going to throw a tantrum over this post, but it's not as though our so called 3rd WR, who ever that really is, has stepped up. Barden and Hixon have all had but one good game a piece. When we played the Panthers, their defense focused on Cruz and didn't really didn't know how to game plan against Barden. Their DB's played far off the line, which allowed Barden to catch a bunch of underneath passes. Hixon is what he is. He's simply doesn't have the speed to consistently get behind the defense. Yes, I know, he's had some good catches here and there, but if you go back and look at all the games played so far, he lacks separation speed, and he's lousy getting off the jam. It's not knock, just a fact.

Rio gave us the ability to still stretch the field, even when Cruz and Nicks were double covered. He possessed the ability to blow past most DB's. Also, please don't compare what he's doing now with SF. Different scheme, and most importantly, different QB. I know we can't bring him back, and trust me, I would in a heart beat if it were possible. Yes, he made mistakes, but doesn't Nicks and Cruz even to this day? The answer is, YES! Bennett is going to have to become more of a focal point in the scheme of things. Teams are going to do what Dallas has done until we prove we can scheme around what they are doing. I'm hoping Randal can step his game up sooner than later, but he is a rookie, and it will take more time for him to develop. What happened to Jernigan? Is he really so bad that he cannot get on the field?

I also believe Nicks will not be healthy enough this season to look like his old self. I cannot believe for one moment that he has fallen off and cannot get separation. I think many underestimated the value of Manningham, and to date, no one has replaced him. These WR's have to show that they can separate against the better defenses in the league. We won't face Tampa, Cleveland and the Panthers every week. The truth hurts sometimes, but it is what it is. Gilbride can be a dope at times, but he doesn't run routes.

jomo
11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
He was out there on Sunday wearing #82.

BParcells777
11-05-2012, 08:00 PM
I agree...........please add that to the Boneheaded Coughlin list.......forgot that one

joemorrisforprez
11-05-2012, 08:03 PM
I think Randle will eventually come on.....takes receivers a little longer than RBs to adjust to the pro game.

drewz
11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
no we aren't.. I'd take Hixon over Manningham everyday of the week.

It's all PLAYCALLING

BParcells777
11-05-2012, 08:07 PM

It's all PLAYCALLING

your Meds are waiting at the Nurses station

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 08:09 PM

It's all PLAYCALLING

Can you please advise who your pusher man is? Thanks.

Eliscruzzz
11-05-2012, 08:10 PM
I'll admit it Manningham was a very explosive 3rd wide out he made teams pay. Hixon has been good this season but where has he been lately??

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 08:13 PM
I'll admit it Manningham was a very explosive 3rd wide out he made teams pay. Hixon has been good this season but where has he been lately??

5 good memorable catches this season. Rio gave that many times in one game. His body of work speaks for itself. He's cannot separate against the better DB's.

brad
11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Execution is important, but even the most perfectly executed play that is poorly designed to attack the defense they are facing will fail. If every play called by any OC would work if the players executed it, there would be no great OCs, they would all be the same, relying only on the players to execute. You could just bring anyone off the street and they would perform as well as the highest paid OC in the league, assuming perfect execution by the players.

Sound ridiculous? So does saying that the OC bears no blame for the success or failure of their offense, defense, special teams or anything else for that matter. The game plan, the plays called and the execution of the play are all equally important.

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Execution is important, but even the most perfectly executed play that is poorly designed to attack the defense they are facing will fail. If every play called by any OC would work if the players executed it, there would be no great OCs, they would all be the same, relying only on the players to execute. You could just bring anyone off the street and they would perform as well as the highest paid OC in the league, assuming perfect execution by the players.

Sound ridiculous? So does saying that the OC bears no blame for the success or failure of their offense, defense, special teams or anything else for that matter. The game plan, the plays called and the execution of the play are all equally important.

I hear you, but you can't execute if you cannot get open. I will agree that Gilbride has to deploy more of a medium passing game, and get rid of the same ole same ole offensive approach. Coughlin is a stubborn man who won't change a thing until the bottom falls out.

brad
11-05-2012, 08:51 PM
I hear you, but you can't execute if you cannot get open. I will agree that Gilbride has to deploy more of a medium passing game, and get rid of the same ole same ole offensive approach. Coughlin is a stubborn man who won't change a thing until the bottom falls out.

Getting open is part of execution, and execution is as much of a problem as the playcalling. Not sure I want to go so far as to suggest that Coughlin won't make adjustments... sadly he did wait until a loss, but I firmly believe we will see a very different offense next week.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Look, I know some are going to throw a tantrum over this post, but it's not as though our so called 3rd WR, who ever that really is, has stepped up. Barden and Hixon have all had but one good game a piece. When we played the Panthers, their defense focused on Cruz and didn't really didn't know how to game plan against Barden. Their DB's played far off the line, which allowed Barden to catch a bunch of underneath passes. Hixon is what he is. He's simply doesn't have the speed to consistently get behind the defense. Yes, I know, he's had some good catches here and there, but if you go back and look at all the games played so far, he lacks separation speed, and he's lousy getting off the jam. It's not knock, just a fact.

Rio gave us the ability to still stretch the field, even when Cruz and Nicks were double covered. He possessed the ability to blow past most DB's. Also, please don't compare what he's doing now with SF. Different scheme, and most importantly, different QB. I know we can't bring him back, and trust me, I would in a heart beat if it were possible. Yes, he made mistakes, but doesn't Nicks and Cruz even to this day? The answer is, YES! Bennett is going to have to become more of a focal point in the scheme of things. Teams are going to do what Dallas has done until we prove we can scheme around what they are doing. I'm hoping Randal can step his game up sooner than later, but he is a rookie, and it will take more time for him to develop. What happened to Jernigan? Is he really so bad that he cannot get on the field?

I also believe Nicks will not be healthy enough this season to look like his old self. I cannot believe for one moment that he has fallen off and cannot get separation. I think many underestimated the value of Manningham, and to date, no one has replaced him. These WR's have to show that they can separate against the better defenses in the league. We won't face Tampa, Cleveland and the Panthers every week. The truth hurts sometimes, but it is what it is. Gilbride can be a dope at times, but he doesn't run routes.

I just don't get the point of bringing this up every week. He's gone, he went where he could start and isn't. But he's making more money than they would pay him here to be a back up. We have a good receiver corps to work with. He was not a good route runner and had trouble along the sidelines.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 08:55 PM

Where has the entire passing game been lately?

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Hixon is a nice player and a fan favorite but he is not Manningham and no one has stepped to fill his shoes yet.

rtr1105
11-05-2012, 09:04 PM
I like Hixon. He's made some nice catches and has been an occasional deep threat. For the most part, he's had 3-5 catches per game, I know that he was invisible yesterday though. I think he still needs that one big game. A lot of it is the playcalling. Running the ball up the middle on every play when Bradshaw is averaging less than 3 YPC, and when you actually pass only throwing deep, is stupid. Last year I wanted Gilbride gone but I knew it wouldn't happen because of the Super Bowl.

Rudyy
11-05-2012, 09:06 PM
We have to work with what we have now.
Hixon or Randle might night be as good as Manningham, but that's all we have and we need to do the best we can with our options.

dakotajoe
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I'd take Hixon or Randle(might be too early to say Randle but he's looked good) over Manningham. Lots of people remember the SB catch but there was plenty of drops and wrong routes that hurt his play. He's an explosive receiver but not a pertinent piece of the puzzle.

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 09:24 PM
I just don't get the point of bringing this up every week. He's gone, he went where he could start and isn't. But he's making more money than they would pay him here to be a back up. We have a good receiver corps to work with. He was not a good route runner and had trouble along the sidelines.

This is not brought up every week, so stop over exaggerating, If you don't like the topic, move on.

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 09:51 PM
Here are comparison numbers for both Mario and Domenik to date. Hixon missed one game due to a concussion but I don't know if Mario missed any.

Rank
Player
Rec
Yds
Avg
Yds/G
Long
TD
20+
40+
1st
1st%
Fumb

Manningham

Hixon

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&season=2012&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go&experience=null&archive=false&conference=null&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=WIDE_RECEIVER&qualified=true

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 09:52 PM
This is not brought up every week, so stop over exaggerating, If you don't like the topic, move on.

It is brought up a lot, I'll decide when to move on, thanks.

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 09:54 PM
Here are comparison numbers for both Mario and Domenik to date. Hixon missed one game due to a concussion but I don't know if Mario missed any.

Rank
Player
Rec
Yds
Avg
Yds/G
Long
TD
20+
40+
1st
1st%
Fumb

Manningham

Hixon

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=1&season=2012&seasonType=REG&Submit=Go&experience=null&archive=false&conference=null&d-447263-p=1&statisticPositionCategory=WIDE_RECEIVER&qualified=trueWho's throwing the ball to him though?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 10:02 PM
Who's throwing the ball to him though?

Honestly? lol

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 10:23 PM
Two things, MM had plenty of games like even randle had last night, lets not rewrite history into making mm a consistent wr. I would take him back in a heartbeat, knew we would miss him, which is why i wanted randle so badly predraft. I would have been fine with the fo even taken him in the first...which leads me to

Two, randle has the athleticism and ability mm gave us, possibly more. That said, the giants know and most realize randle isnt gonna give us what mm did right off the bat. The fact we have used randle, more than we did mm rookie yr btw, speaks to randle being close. I get the impression theyre hoping he could have a confidence building day that propels him, we had it vs cwashington was it? Early in dallas...theyre trying to get him to a point we can use him imo as the third wr. I love hixon, and for how many ckaim ppl have rose colored eli glasses, that was going on with hixon peeps as well. Yes he made some beautiful catches, he is inconistent and invisible way too much, esp for the 3rd wr in this scheme.

I still feel we have that guy on our team tho it may need to be stumbled upon almost like cruz bc unfortunately it seems tc is hesitant to goto players he feels aint ready without actually testing them. Just bc a guy isnt the best practicer dont mean jack, some guys are gamers but thats besides the point. It may take a two week injury to someone. How many of us saw jernigan activated vs pitt? I did. Those of us that saw 12jernigan activated ALL went, jj gets his shot, when cruz went down that one play.

My /money is on randle eventually with dark horse barden. Out of randle barden and jj eli has shown much more trust with barden imo

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 10:28 PM
Two things, MM had plenty of games like even randle had last night, lets not rewrite history into making mm a consistent wr. I would take him back in a heartbeat, knew we would miss him, which is why i wanted randle so badly predraft. I would have been fine with the fo even taken him in the first...which leads me to

Two, randle has the athleticism and ability mm gave us, possibly more. That said, the giants know and most realize randle isnt gonna give us what mm did right off the bat. The fact we have used randle, more than we did mm rookie yr btw, speaks to randle being close. I get the impression theyre hoping he could have a confidence building day that propels him, we had it vs cwashington was it? Early in dallas...theyre trying to get him to a point we can use him imo as the third wr. I love hixon, and for how many ckaim ppl have rose colored eli glasses, that was going on with hixon peeps as well. Yes he made some beautiful catches, he is inconistent and invisible way too much, esp for the 3rd wr in this scheme.

I still feel we have that guy on our team tho it may need to be stumbled upon almost like cruz bc unfortunately it seems tc is hesitant to goto players he feels aint ready without actually testing them. Just bc a guy isnt the best practicer dont mean jack, some guys are gamers but thats besides the point. It may take a two week injury to someone. How many of us saw jernigan activated vs pitt? I did. Those of us that saw 12jernigan activated ALL went, jj gets his shot, when cruz went down that one play.

My /money is on randle eventually with dark horse barden. Out of randle barden and jj eli has shown much more trust with barden imo

I've said before, Hixon is the bridge to Randle who will likely develop into a very good receiver.

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 10:38 PM
Honestly? lol

I dont think theres a person here that dislikes hixon and doesnt want him to succeed rf. I respect and commend how uve stuck with him and supported him when people like me were doubting his ability.
but i know u try to be honest with EVERY player assessment, at least thats how it comes off to me and id venture many others bc u are one of the most respected "personalities" i guess the word would be...
so lets honestly assess hixon with what our eyes are seeing...yes he can and has made one or two contorted beautiful receptions a game. Theres no disputing the quality of the catches altho on one or two id wish he caught it over the shoulder instead of turning back toward the ball which he did do vs pitt but drew a pi so it can work.
but aside from that, which is something im grateful for and feel we need, he is not threatening defenses. Hes making those receptions in one v one coverage and having the level of difficulty rise bc hes not getting much seperation. It doesnt even seem eli is confident in it to be honest imo. If he is threatening a d, its not snap after snap or anywhere close.

In our scheme, the 3rd wr has to be almost as lethal as the other two, and that doesnt mean be as good, but possess a quality that threatens them as dangerously or close to as the other two. Mm had speed/quickness. Hixon is not even close to being that guy if we r being brutally honest. Hixon would be a great depth wr who sees 15 or so snaps a game imo in combination to the first three.
now hixon does have one thing, experience and reliability. If and when randle can sharpen his skill set, he possesses the athleticm and style of play to threaten defenses similar to nicks imo...if randle cant be that guy, then i dont think hixon moves bc hes a safer pick over barden and jj imho

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 10:42 PM
If theres any consolation, i think jr/fo will see it was very difficult replacing mm and wont want to go thru that again with nicks.

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 10:45 PM
I dont think theres a person here that dislikes hixon and doesnt want him to succeed rf. I respect and commend how uve stuck with him and supported him when people like me were doubting his ability.
but i know u try to be honest with EVERY player assessment, at least thats how it comes off to me and id venture many others bc u are one of the most respected "personalities" i guess the word would be...
so lets honestly assess hixon with what our eyes are seeing...yes he can and has made one or two contorted beautiful receptions a game. Theres no disputing the quality of the catches altho on one or two id wish he caught it over the shoulder instead of turning back toward the ball which he did do vs pitt but drew a pi so it can work.
but aside from that, which is something im grateful for and feel we need, he is not threatening defenses. Hes making those receptions in one v one coverage and having the level of difficulty rise bc hes not getting much seperation. It doesnt even seem eli is confident in it to be honest imo. If he is threatening a d, its not snap after snap or anywhere close.

In our scheme, the 3rd wr has to be almost as lethal as the other two, and that doesnt mean be as good, but possess a quality that threatens them as dangerously or close to as the other two. Mm had speed/quickness. Hixon is not even close to being that guy if we r being brutally honest. Hixon would be a great depth wr who sees 15 or so snaps a game imo in combination to the first three.
now hixon does have one thing, experience and reliability. If and when randle can sharpen his skill set, he possesses the athleticm and style of play to threaten defenses similar to nicks imo...if randle cant be that guy, then i dont think hixon moves bc hes a safer pick over barden and jj imho

i agree with everything you said except for the reliability part. He has been anything but. He's not the answer at #3, but a decent seat warmer.

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 10:46 PM
Let me ask this tho, could we not be using hixon to his skill set? Remember how lethal he is returning kicks, that imo would translate to getting him screen passes, swing passes, quick hitter type passes at the los, and then let him go gizelle mode for yac. Yes he has some speed, but it seems we are trying to use him as a downfield threat as we did mm and it just isnt working. U follow my thinkinking rf or anyone?

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 10:46 PM

I guess I was silently saying it's not Barden or Jernigan

RoanokeFan
11-05-2012, 10:47 PM
If theres any consolation, i think jr/fo will see it was very difficult replacing mm and wont want to go thru that again with nicks.

Reese will sign Nicks next year I think

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Let hixon work the underneath stuff and threatn some big plays to set up downfield throws to him. I could see hixon being very effective in this way

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 10:48 PM
Let me ask this tho, could we not be using hixon to his skill set? Remember how lethal he is returning kicks, that imo would translate to getting him screen passes, swing passes, quick hitter type passes at the los, and then let him go gizelle mode for yac. Yes he has some speed, but it seems we are trying to use him as a downfield threat as we did mm and it just isnt working. U follow my thinkinking rf or anyone?

i don't believe one has anything to do with the other. Separation has nothing to do with special teams.

BigBlue1971
11-05-2012, 10:49 PM
Randle hasnt had many targets but the ones hes had i think i would give him a passing grade! hes a rookie and imo is better than Rio was at this stage!

if the offense was clicking at all Randle would have a moderate role! but its not so everyone suffers!

i dont think Manningham is missed on the team! he was a cog who was replaceable!

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I guess I was silently saying it's not Barden or Jernigan

I was silently agreeing but hoping their upsides which i still feel is higher level of play than hixon would be met.on another team it very well could have happened already but we all know tc values experience and reliability and loyalty almost to a fault

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 10:53 PM
Randle hasnt had many targets but the ones hes had i think i would give him a passing grade! hes a rookie and imo is better than Rio was at this stage!

if the offense was clicking at all Randle would have a moderate role! but its not so everyone suffers!

i dont think Manningham is missed on the team! he was a cog who was replaceable!

So wrong in every imaginable way. Manningham a cog? Come on dude, just admit you hate Rio for some unknown reason.

giantsfan420
11-05-2012, 10:55 PM
i don't believe one has anything to do with the other. Separation has nothing to do with special teams.
fair enough. Its just something that in my opinion could translate. He doesnt need to get seperation if we are hitting him quick off the snap at the los, and then setup some blockers and uve essentially turned the play into a punt return where he is nasty. Hit him with some quick slants. Get him on underneath stuff in space, then let him do his thing and get yac...simply using him as this intermediate//deep wr aint working or using his abilities to the fullest imo

YATittle1962
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM
So wrong in every imaginable way. Manningham a cog? Come on dude, just admit you hate Rio for some unknown reason.

highly replaceable and could not grasp the offense after 4 years studying it
not a great route runner
not great hands

I appreciate what he did while here but was not upset in the least to see him go

a mere spoke in the wheel

BigBlue1971
11-05-2012, 10:57 PM

naw thats the wrong description. i meant like a "cog" in a wheel. everyones on the team is a cog and some are replaceable! Manningham was one of those thats all im sayin!

i never said i hated Rio in fact i loved the guy as a player! i dont hate any Giants player regardless of how good/bad they might be. its my team! i dont hate!

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 11:02 PM
highly replaceable and could not grasp the offense after 4 years studying it
not a great route runner
not great hands

I appreciate what he did while here but was not upset in the least to see him go

a mere spoke in the wheel

WRONG!

YATittle1962
11-05-2012, 11:08 PM
WRONG!

did he not bobble nearly every ball that came his way ?

did he not cut his routes short constantly?

did he not miss sight adjustments constantly?

did he not stretch his routes way too close to the side line and leave no room for Eli to drop the ball....constantly?

did he not always lose where he was on the field and step out of bounds ?

yeah whos wrong here ?

a spoke in the wheel and have fun not being used in San Fran....a team who is so desperate for a WR that they dug Randy Moss out of his grave

get a clue brother

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 11:11 PM
did he not bobble nearly every ball that came his way ?

did he not cut his routes short constantly?

did he not miss sight adjustments constantly?

did he not stretch his routes so close to the side line and leave no room for Eli to drop the ball....constantly?

did he not always lose where he was on the field and step out of bounds ?

yeah whos wrong here ?

a spoke in the wheel and have fun not being used in San Fran....a team who is so desperate for a WR that they dug Randy Moss out of his grave

get a clue brother

You are throwing the tantrum I spoke of when I started this post. Even to date, Cruz and Nicks are also screwing up routes. I guess it's okay when you have a man crush on particular players.

YATittle1962
11-05-2012, 11:15 PM
You are throwing the tantrum I spoke of when I started this post. Even to date, Cruz and Nicks are also screwing up routes. I guess it's okay when you have a man crush on particular players.

I am calm as a cucumber my man

no man crushes here

I watch the game and take the players for what they are

and Mario was never a great player for reasons stated above

and yes the current receivers occasionally read a coverage differently than Eli does....but not nearly as much as Manningham used to ....and they never make some of the boneheaded mistakes Mario used to make

Mario would screw up some football 101 stuff....stuff you learn in pop warner

and these current guys are far better players than he ever was and ever will be

Randle is already farther along than Mario was at this point in his career

good riddance Mario

Eliscruzzz
11-05-2012, 11:17 PM

no man crushes here

and yes the current receivers occasionally read a coverage differently than Eli does....but not nearly as much as Manningham used to

good riddance MarioWow pretty harsh for a guy that has made some huge catches for us. He may not have been the greatest thing but he was a very capable 3 wr.

rainierjef
11-05-2012, 11:18 PM
Honestly? lol

your damned if you do, damned if you don't. Shut up with your logical gibberish.

I Bleed Blue
11-05-2012, 11:20 PM

no man crushes here

and yes the current receivers occasionally read a coverage differently than Eli does....but not nearly as much as Manningham used to ....and they never make some of the boneheaded mistakes Mario used to make

Mario would screw up some football 101 stuff....stuff you learn in pop warner

good riddance Mario

Again, why are you not as critical towards Nicks and Cruz when they make they same mistakes? Rio was a critical part of our playoff run last season. It appears you see what you want to see.

YATittle1962
11-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Wow pretty harsh for a guy that has made some huge catches for us. He may not have been the greatest thing but he was a very capable 3 wr.

no player outside of Luke Petitgout frustrated me more in that last 10 to 15 years

YATittle1962
11-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Again, why are you not as critical towards Nicks and Cruz when they make they same mistakes? Rio was a critical part of our playoff run last season. It appears you see what you want to see.

I am not as critical because they dont make the boneheaded mistakes Mario made

and they are 10 times the player he is

Buddy333
11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Honestly? lolNot sure what you meant.

Eliscruzzz
11-05-2012, 11:26 PM
no player outside of Luke Petitgout frustrated me more in that last 10 to 15 yearsLmao yes I remember him....ok I get you now.

ShakeandBake
11-05-2012, 11:29 PM
Lmao yes I remember him....ok I get you now.

Not hard to forget, false start followed by Luke Pettigout

YATittle1962
11-05-2012, 11:52 PM
Lmao yes I remember him....ok I get you now.

don't get me wrong....I loved Mario coming out of Michigan

I thought we got a homerun hitter

this guy had more big play ability than a lot of guys in the league....he just couldn't put it together

yes Cruz and Nicks occasionally read a coverage differently than Eli

but they never make the boneheaded mistakes Mario did

squeezing the sideline leaving Eli nowhere to put the ball

cutting routes short leaving the QBs ball hanging in the wind like laundry

not knowing where the line to gain is

going up for a ball and coming down with one foot out of bounds when he could have toe tapped

not to mention just never grasping the playbook

I think some have selective memories after a big catch in the SB