PDA

View Full Version : Eli Manning Needs To Snap Out Of It If The Giants Are To Repeat As Super Bowl Champs

RoanokeFan
11-06-2012, 08:42 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...icle-1.1197148 (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/giants-super-manning-reappear-article-1.1197148)

Excerpt: "If Eli Manning doesn’t break out of his slump and start playing great again, then the Giants have no chance to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

They can overcome a sack slump from JPP, or Corey Webster returning to being the most beatable corner in the league or Ahmad Bradshaw suffering his annual debilitating foot injury or even Tom Coughlin suddenly starting to coach like Jason Garrett.

They can’t win the Super Bowl with Manning playing the way he has over the last four weeks. Last year, they quickly turned 6-2 into 6-6 and that was when Manning was playing well. That story, of course, had a happy ending.

The NFL is all about quarterbacks and the Giants are all about Eli, and Eli right now is not about getting the Giants into the end zone.

I asked Justin Tuck on Monday if it’s going to be hard for the Giants to overcome a less-than-great Manning.

“Sure it is. No question,” he said. “Any time a quarterback doesn’t play great football — this is a quarterback-driven league and especially with this team becoming so accustomed to No. 10 playing great and being Superman in the fourth quarter. You got to expect that not to be the case every time. It’s not like we are going to lose any confidence or anything like that.”

Manning was just 10-for-24 for 125 yards against Pittsburgh. In the fourth quarter, which has been Manning Time for quite some time, he was 1-for-5 for one yard ans was sacked twice.

“If we get in that situation this Sunday and he has the ball with four minutes to go and we need a touchdown, I’m probably going to be sitting on the bench saying, ‘Defense, get ready to go back and finish the game out,’” Tuck said. “I feel like he’s going to be able to lead that offense down and get that touchdown.” Read more...

TheAnalyst
11-06-2012, 11:45 AM
People always seem to forget that Eli goes through a stretch like this EVERY YEAR. He IS NOT an elite stat guy, never was. He wont throw for 40 TD and 10 INTs. He did have almost 5k yards last year, and that may be influencing him a bit this year, but he is not a huge stat guy.

I know he will bounce back and get himself together. Every year he does. It just is painful to watch him and defend him when he is playing this bad. Oh well.

Second half swoon has arrived, but it still doen't mean he won't get the job done. I've been fooled by him many times before, so I and not jumping off the ship.

bELIeve guys

UDOWNWJPP
11-06-2012, 12:04 PM
People always seem to forget that Eli goes through a stretch like this EVERY YEAR. He IS NOT an elite stat guy, never was. He wont throw for 40 TD and 10 INTs. He did have almost 5k yards last year, and that may be influencing him a bit this year, but he is not a huge stat guy.

I know he will bounce back and get himself together. Every year he does. It just is painful to watch him and defend him when he is playing this bad. Oh well.

Second half swoon has arrived, but it still doen't mean he won't get the job done. I've been fooled by him many times before, so I and not jumping off the ship.

bELIeve guys

Totally agree.

Rusty192
11-06-2012, 03:49 PM

bELIeve guysWe are not a big stat offense. Nor to we pad our stats in a win. TC is too old school classy for that.

FrankAE
11-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Eli playing his best will be a huge help. Not the only reason why this team has been terrible for the last few games.

njg85m
11-06-2012, 07:27 PM
One thing to put into perspective is that even with Eli throwing for 125 yds and our receivers getting overpowered, dropping passes, and flat out getting beat by DB's we still were in a position to beat the Steelers despite how awful our O, secondary, LB's, and especially ST's looked.

If there's one thing to find solace in after a loss, I'm thinking that is it...

A lot of other teams in the league play like they, in fact if the majority of other teams in the league played like that, they wind up getting beat by 35+

Toadofsteel
11-06-2012, 07:29 PM
One thing to put into perspective is that even with Eli throwing for 125 yds and our receivers getting overpowered, dropping passes, and flat out getting beat by DB's we still were in a position to beat the Steelers despite how awful our O, secondary, LB's, and especially ST's looked.

A lot of other teams in the league, in fact the majority of teams in the league, play like that and they get beat by 35+

Thats why I don't really blame the defense. If our defense didnt get gassed, they would have allowed even fewer points...

njg85m
11-06-2012, 07:35 PM
Thats why I don't really blame the defense. If our defense didnt get gassed, they would have allowed even fewer points...

I'm not really blaming anyone in particular, I'm just saying that as bad as we played and short of forfeiting before the coin toss we still only lost by 4 pts to the Steelers...who played very well.

Not saying we should feel good about it, BUT let's just think about that for a second.

Toadofsteel
11-06-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm not really blaming anyone in particular, I'm just saying that as bad as we played and short of forfeiting before the coin toss we still only lost by 4 pts to the Steelers...who played very well.

Not saying we should feel good about it, BUT let's just think about that for a second.

Then how come we're playing bad? Why aren't we playing well?

njg85m
11-06-2012, 07:52 PM
Then how come we're playing bad? Why aren't we playing well?

Multiple directions to rightfully pass blame to, no point.

My whole point I guess is that if the Dolphins for example play that terribly over all, they get completely completely blown out, whereas we lose by 4. Again, no solace in that, BUT we played like garbage against a very good team that played very well and still had a chance to win with 2 minutes left.

Eliscruzzz
11-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Eli may not put up those crazy stats but he is definitely capable of doing so.Our offensive scheme is not kind to the qb. We still play like we are a power running team when we are not anymore. We will never be able to spread teams out and throw the football until we getter a decent offensive line. That is usually when Eli is at his best when we spread teams out in the two minute offense.

Captain Chaos
11-06-2012, 09:04 PM
Break out the smelling salts!

Diamondring
11-07-2012, 01:06 AM
Then how come we're playing bad? Why aren't we playing well?Cause we are facing good defenses that are able to stop us and proving me wrong that our offense is high scoring. They are making me look bad. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Diamondring
11-07-2012, 01:09 AM
We look at our starting wrs Cruz and Nicks but not the other players like Hixon who should be a real good threat. Our backs are not catching passes and it seems like there are no plays for them to catch them. I believe once once our other players like third and fourth receivers and backs play better, our offense will improve. Like someone saids, lets spread the defense about.

TheAnalyst
11-07-2012, 09:45 AM

A lot of other teams in the league play like they, in fact if the majority of other teams in the league played like that, they wind up getting beat by 35+

Normally I would say you are correct, but we were aided completely by the refs in this game. I point out when big calls don't go in our favor, so I don't want to be a hypocrite. We were given 2 TDs in this game. The hit on Cruz was not a penalty. Shoulder to shoulder. And the "fumble" was an incomplete pass. He still had the ball in his hands and it CLEARLY went forward. Direct result of the other TD we had.

So, we really should of gotten beat up worse then the score indicated.

GameTime
11-07-2012, 10:15 AM
Normally I would say you are correct, but we were aided completely by the refs in this game. I point out when big calls don't go in our favor, so I don't want to be a hypocrite. We were given 2 TDs in this game. The hit on Cruz was not a penalty. Shoulder to shoulder. And the "fumble" was an incomplete pass. He still had the ball in his hands and it CLEARLY went forward. Direct result of the other TD we had.

So, we really should of gotten beat up worse then the score indicated.
he had NO control of the football going forward....def a fumble. The hit was a bogus call for sure.....

njg85m
11-07-2012, 10:18 AM
You make a good point analyst, but I do disagree with you on the fumble. At first I thought that clearly was an incomplete pass but after watching the super slo-mo it was pretty clear that ben had no control of the ball before his arm came forward.

AntB
11-08-2012, 03:53 AM
Well I'll bet Eli is nervous now that Vick's brother wants him traded. That should snap Eli out of it.